Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

page not found posted:

Three opponents, actually :eng101:

1) His "no eyebrows" opponent (numbah two).
2) The Dempsey Roll introduction.
3) God-mode against the wonderboy guy that was supposed to wrap up his time as a Japanese champ. Karasawa? I forget the name.

And it's a shame there aren't more :( Let Ippo's focus drift to personal life on occasion and have boxing take a back seat. Y'know, have him doing it but no OMG MUST TRAIN FOR DAYS FOR HIS SUNDAY PUNCH. Maybe more stuff with Kumi and Mashiba. Always interesting :v: Albeit rare :negative:

What about the korean dude before the Takamura/Hawk fight? He was pretty dominant (thought admittedly pretty lucky as well) in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Perhaps it is so bad that even the Japanese refuse to unleash it upon the internet?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hahaha, wow they actually mention the "Samurai spirit", this loving manga

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

The "Samurai Spirit" thing is just that "GUTS" stuff that Kamogawa goes on and on about for the entire manga.

Also I don't know how anyone can really get to bothered about "ridiculous" when there's this loving page:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/493/19/

Heh, speaking of which, I sincerely hope they bring back "Gatsun de gatsu" or whatever

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

Also he blew a bunch of his money on those Takamura statuettes that the coach made him destroy.

And on that big one on the roof of the gym.

Plus he probably spends a fortune posting bail for groping charges and whatnot.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 15, 2010

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I too remember when the manga used to be good.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

frabba posted:

Ok, I am really hating this starvin marvin art style for this fight. Alot. I liked it more when they all looked like heavyweights :-(

I don't think any of the out-boxers (Itagaki, Miyata, Karasawa, etc) really ever looked as muscular as the in-boxers (Ippo, Sendo, Shimabukuro). The only exception I can really think of is perhaps Vorg who started as an out-boxer but became an in-boxer for Japan for more entertaining fights.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah but Mashiba is supposed to be pretty lanky with a long reach and I think that page was before all the characters became angular caricatures of human beings.

Edit: You have a point with Kimura though!

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 4, 2010

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, he's kind of a jerk, but as long as he keeps making bad puns, I'll always love him :allears:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm hoping this fight ends up like Ipoo vs Karasawa and he completely dominates him so Ippo can finally move on to the world stage or something, but knowing Mori, it'll last 20 chapters and then he'll go back to the whole "Itagaki vs Ippo" thing :sigh:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He's been handling anacondas so that he can grab Ippo's huge dick and arouse him into submission.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

It's been like eight hundred chapters since they started circle-jerking about a showdown with Miyata. I seriously cannot think of another absurdly long shonen series that has hosed around and completely ignored the rival-showdown crap for this long.

e: After checking, it has been 905 chapters. They started that poo poo up in chapter 13.

Technically its not a rivalry anymore as both of them gave up on fighting each other? But I guess that it changed some time within those 300 chapters

Also, more Kojima theories:
1) He injected his hands with adamantium so he could punch as hard as Ippo
2) He grafted the fists of a boxer from a heavier weight-class onto his arms for increased punching power
2) He's developed a punch so fast and hard that the air slices his hands as he throws it
4) Maybe he's just a day laborer and ashamed of his profession :(

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Heh, I hope Ippo demolishes another vending machine like he did after Mashiba beat Miyata. And then he demolishes Kojima.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
That's pretty much what made both Sendo fights so good

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Twobits posted:

I liked how mori seemed to make fun of himself and admit the problem of dragging on the story there

I preferred the way he made fun of Ippo's inability to gently caress Kumi

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Morikawa, blueballing readers even when there's no fight.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 24, 2011

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Ippo is gonna take that guy's super-prepared punch, no-sell it due to his training, and probably put him in the hospital. Lessons are learned about tenacity, Ippo gets introspective, nothing happens in the manga as usual.

Or Ippo literally ends up killing the dude in the ring because the guy fucks up his supposedly "life or death" punch that Morikawa can't stop hyping. That would be a pretty amazing/original plot twist, so yeah not happening.

Ippo beats the guy so badly his unborn child is spontaneously aborted :(

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
But he still can't touch Kumi!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He's going to put on a Miyata mask so Ippo is too busy hiding his boner to fight straight.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

trucutru posted:

And he has to build all that muscle without gaining weight! My theory is that all the brain matter he loses during each fight is replaced with muscle.

Besides his dick is there anything Ippo has not trained to the most extreme levels?

His tongue (he is too nice!)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Ippo's weakness is Miyata. His opponent is going to print out a Miyata mask and wear it during the fight.

I literally posted this earlier on the same page. It hasn't even been a week.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
It just wouldn't be a new chapter without mentioning Ippo's weakness on the last page.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

So pretty much another chapter of "Ippo gon' give it to ya" with no payoff. ARafarfhgg

Actually, most disappointing thing in this chapter is that it looks like Takamura's next championship belt is a walkover.

If Takamura's fight was meant to be big or challenging, Morikawa would have spend a bunch of chapters building it up, because at this point, building stuff up at a painfully slow pace is what he does best.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Look at that smug-rear end face on the last page.

Did Date look weird to anyone else? I guess it really shows how much the art style has changed over the years.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

frabba posted:

Wait, what? How is it possible to miss the multiple love interests?

Maybe because Ippo has made ZERO progress in 20 years (but perhaps the same could be said of his boxing :downsrim: )

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Please die Mori. I'm going to pretend this managa ended after Takamura beat Hawk.

Takamura vs Eagle was pretty good too (though admittedly not as climatic as the hawk fight)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I hope next chapter his hair starts glowing and he starts grunting while pebbles levitate around him then explode.

But what is Kojima gathers the dragonballs and wishes for a chapter that isn't lovely?!?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It had two full seasons and a movie or two. I'd guess that the second season didn't do well enough to warrant a third.

Yeah, it's kind of weird. It might be due to the fact that the second season didn't cover any big Ippo fights. It started with Miyata winning the OBPF title (pretty exciting I guess), had Ippo vs Nao (aka Geromichi) which I doubt anyone cared about, had Date get rolled by Martinez (kind of cool), and ended with Takamura vs Hawk, which was honestly one of the best fights in the manga. Ippo just kind of got pushed out of the limelight for that season. Sure, they set him up to avenge Date, but that's years (or decades for us) in the future.

That said, I still enjoyed it and would certainly welcome a third season, even if the content covered would just be Ippo's slow descent into becoming a human punching bag with SAMURAI SPIRIT.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Oben posted:

928 - Walks to the dressing room
929 - Warms up
930 - Puts his gloves on
931 - Leaves the dressing room
932 - Walks to the ring
933 - Bell rings
934 - Stands still
935 - Stands still

At this point, you really don't even need to spoiler that last part.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

tbp posted:

The biggest problem I have with realism is that THEY HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT EACH OTHER FOR ALMOST THE ENTIRE ROUND WITHOUT MOVING AN INCH

They fell in love :swoon:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Haha, perhaps Morikawa got feedback from the Woli fight complaining that Ippo got hit too much or made too many unnecessary swings so he went the opposite direction for this fight.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Wong Dongson posted:

Literally any other boxing manga more engaging at this point. 10,000% more interested in what would happen next in RRR than Ippo. Man, I can not even remember the last meaningful thing that happened in this manga. Must have been *years* ago.

I can't even remember the last time Takamura did something awesome, oh god what happened to this manga :smith:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
"But wait! Ippo is still gathering strength in his fist for a counter-counter punch!"
*15 page discussion about how Ippo took the punch, see you next week*

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

This makes Itagaki the new main character.

The remainder of the manga takes place in bullet time and is filled with awful puns.

Why wouldn't Takamura become the new leading man, he is obviously the coolest.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

frabba posted:

Calling it that Ippo uses the Date head twist and isn't hurt at all.

He twists his head too far and his head is on backwards but he still fights with his super-sharp elbows.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Morikawa has no idea of how to write a Takamura fight any more. The only way Takamura has any trouble is if he completely forgets how to box for no real reason.

He's done that at least once in the past hasn't he? I think it was the fight where he just kept doing his stupid beetle uppercut or something.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Just out of curiosity so I can hit up the anime, what're the most flat-out awesome fights in the manga/anime? I've heard good things about Takamura vs Hawk/Eagle~

I'd vote for Ippo vs Sendo for the championship (last arc of 1st season) or Takamura vs Hawk (last arc of 2nd season). They're both fantastic.

Unfortunately, Takamura vs Eagle goes past the point that the anime covers, but it is a pretty sweet fight.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

trucutru posted:

We now know that even 5 light taps from Ippo can wreck an ape man. All this past discussion just assumes that brain damage pic was Ippo's brain. Perhaps it isn't? That would be sooo cooool :downsbravo:

Haha, yeah, maybe its the brain of the reader and is supposed to show how retarded we are for diligently following a manga that has been in decline for years :smith:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The saddest part of Hajime no Ippo for me is how Ippo's mom, who worked so hard to take care of him, won't go to his fights because she doesn't want to see him get hit and yet Ippo does nothing to avoid being a punching bag for his opponents because he's too hard-headed and only knows one way to box. She'll never see him in the ring :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I liked both Takamura championship fights, but a moment that's not probably as popular for others is when Vorg stayed with Ippo and trained at Kamogawa's Gym for a while. I've always liked Vorg, and he had to deal with losing that fight to Sendo in a really close (and perhaps wrong) decision, had to go back to Russia, lost his mom... the guy's been through a lot.

And I guess that Broccoli-Man poo poo with Aoki. Pretty much anytime Takamura fucks with people.