Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
New hotness is up.

Excited to see Vorg, but kind of annoyed he's apparently being used as cannon fodder. Effin' Mowgli and his teleporting. Vorg better not be knocked out or some nonsense next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
It's really, really annoying when a comic you greatly enjoy makes that ever-so-slight down-shift from "OH poo poo I WANT A NEW CHAPTER TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS" to "OH GOOD GOD CAN WE JUST GET THIS OVER WITH?"

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
I have pretty much the same reaction. Re-using a gimmick is worse than the gimmick bullshit itself, but that last panel expression will at least keep me interested for a few more chapters.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Ya ya, It's really nice to see Ippo finally acting like a champion and not being shaken up by little stuff. Baton Pass indeed.

apekillape fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 3, 2009

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
This is so stupid. It's not suspense any more, it's just a quickly rising meter marked "loving PUNCH HIM ALREADY".

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sindai posted:

Question about the current fight: is grabbing the rope like that even allowed in boxing? :confused:

From HowStuffWorks posted:

There are a number of things a boxer is not allowed to do inside the ring – this helps prevent injury and keeps matches from degenerating into an uncontrolled brawl. Boxers may not do any of the following:

* Strike below the belt
* Strike when an opponent is down on the canvas
* Kick
* Strike with elbows, forearms or the inside of the hand (slap)
* Head butt
* Bite ears (you wouldn’t think this rule needed to be spelled out, but Mike Tyson proved that wrong)
* Grab onto the ropes
* Poke the eye with a thumb (in the post-fight interview after defeating George Foreman in 1974’s “Rumble in the Jungle,” Muhammad Ali’s right eye was red and swollen from a Foreman eye poke)
* Wrestle, grapple or hold him excessively

Committing any of these acts may result in a foul, which can cause the deduction of points by the judges. Committing a foul repeatedly or very flagrantly will result in a disqualification by the referee.

So I dunno what the gently caress.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Martinez only needed his left to defeat Ippo. He'd just pull a modified version of that super Asura Stance Randy Boy Jr. used and fight Ippo with the left and Miyata with his right.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Infinitum posted:

877 out translated.. I guess.. if you care.. I don't.. it's boring.

Or you could re-read Hajime No Ippo Gaiden: Naniwa Tiger again and remember what it was like to have an opponent that actually had a personality.

Jesus. I could seriously read an entire manga run about Sendou and have not one regret. Dude is like Boxing Banchou.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Vorg & Sendou Hit the Road would be the boxing manga of the century.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
It's almost like the author completely forgot how to do pacing. The lesson in this fight is still solid, and I totally think we wouldn't hate it if he weren't literally making 3 chapters out of what could be condensed into a single one every time.

Ippo finally making that tiny hit and remembering (again and again) how to negotiate his way up into bigger hits from that small insight and small victory used to be cool. It made sense before. But dude has just completely blown this one.

Bleach does this a lot, drawing out fights and power explanations and whatnot. But it's Bleach, and when you read them again way later it's not THAT bad to absorb in one chunk. The last couple... hell, YEARS of Ippo have been horrendous to read even in retrospect. Even people who come in new to the thread complain before they get to the fresh hell we've arrived upon.

I don't really have anything else to add, I just needed to get that out. The author has basically become Ippo himself. This one tiny punch represents the tiny measure of advancement in the story finally. Here's hoping he can wake the gently caress up and Gazelle Punch us back into a good goddamn manga.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sojourn posted:

So, is there a decent alternative to this manga out there? I need something with the same general premise (doesn't have to be boxing) to fill the void now that I'm no longer reading it.

Shamo is great, but it's basically Kenichi + Berserk.

Which makes it amazing, but soul-crushing.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Eyeshield 21 is pretty good. It has the same concept except with football.

Wow, I completely forgot about that. I love the living crap out of this manga, anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to read it I envy you getting to. Get on it asap, it's one of the best.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I love the poo poo out of basketball and football is great too and Slam Dunk is way better than Eyeshield 21.

Well yeah, but it's SLAM DUNK. Haha, it's way unfair, Slam Dunk is better than pretty much everything ever.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Jose posted:

Slam Dunk is by the guy who does Vagabond right? Really need to give it a read.

Slam Dunk is one of the most classic manga ever, and it's completely earned the title. It's the grandpappy of a lot of sports manga, and it's got a lot of funny cliche tropes, but the thing is that it's kind of the originator for a lot of those. It's like when you see Dragonball now and say "Oh, that's so common in X type of show", but when Dragonball was new it was the first time anyone had seen anything like that.

Even having said that, I feel it's only half-true, because I never got sick of reading Slam Dunk or had to give it a pass based on its age. If it came out right this second I think it would still stand up as a truly phenomenal manga.

Another one that is so good I wish I could forget it just so I could read it again. Everyone get on it, seriously.

------------

Also: Yeah, think about a guy writing a high school basketball manga and then doing so well with Vagabond. That's how great a writer he is, it's pretty much a completely seamless transition to me. Slam Dunk is just as good as Vagabond and it's a completely other animal.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hear ya. I've struggled through 100 chapters of Slam Dunk so far and it is boring the gently caress out of me.

I sincerely do not understand you people.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

page not found posted:

Nope.

((Just bookmark that page and look back on occasion. When you're able to use the image as a link, that means the new chapter is up :v:))

I got a trojan warning from one of the banners on that thread. Fairly warned be thee says I.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

page not found posted:

:psyduck: I've used the site for over a year with no issues.

For getting the raw off of a better upload site (ie: Mediafire), head to westbound.proboards.com and hit up their thread.

It's most likely nothing to do with the site itself, they just sign up for an advertising service and that company handles rotating the banners. Iframe and Javascript exploits are brain-dead simple to throw into that kind of system though, and no one reports them for weeks if at all because, well, people are lazy.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sir Lucius posted:

Since I read Bakuman I'm kind of an expert on how Jump works, so it's pretty clear in the series where the editor was like, "You're canceled."

Slam Dunk has been repeatedly voted the best manga of all time, to this very day. He could have run it longer than Berserk if he wanted to.

What the hell are you talking about?

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sir Lucius posted:

I was kind of joking around, but it seemed like the series was planned out longer than it ran. Maybe it wasn't cut, but the author definitely ended it early.

You're completely missing a huge point in Slam Dunk.

It was never a cliche story about "Winning the Championships!". It's all about them coming together as a team and finally getting a chance to give their all.

Them losing after they beat the highest ranked team in the country is like, a footnote. It doesn't even matter, and I think the story's actually a lot better for it. It's about the characters attaining personal excellence and not having to look back wondering what might have been. They finally got to see exactly what they were made of, and when they put everything they had on the line they did succeed way beyond expectation.

If you don't understand at least that, then I gotta say your life is kinda lovely yo.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Did that chapter seem like it was about 4 pages to anyone else?

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Jedah posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out for sure! I'm trying to keep an open mind. Just compelling writing and complex characters sound good. Like many on the forum, popped my cherry on Berserk and was never able to find a replacement/new addiction.

Vinland. loving. Saga.

It's everything good about Berserk without all the godddamn fairies. Literally everything.

(Also Claymore, GantZ (I always say GantZ), maybe Freesia, definitely everything Urasawa, Hoshi no Samadare... there's a billion things out there yo.)

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Ytlaya posted:

And Inio Asano stuff and stuff by whoever the dude is who does Ciguatera is even better than any of those, and that's saying a lot since I'm a huge Urasawa fan. Those series are good enough to be considered great by people who don't read any manga (though Urasawa also falls into this category, his manga also have a small degree of manipulative lost-ish mystery/revealing components to them that drop him just slightly below stuff like Punpun or Ciguatera).

BY THE AUTHOR OF HIMIZU?!?

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
The next chapter had better pay off so loving big it makes my eyes bleed. What the loving gently caress is this nonsense?

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Xali posted:

Fixed that for you :)

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Um.

I resisted reading the spoilers because I really want to believe that this is going somewhere. But uh...

WHAT THE gently caress WHAT THE gently caress WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON HERE?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Mr. Deathy posted:

Not made by me, but this is awesome and seems like an entirely possible scenario. :v:

http://i46.tinypic.com/mn1d0x.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/28iuult.jpg

It would be perfect it Ippo's sentences all ended with -dani.