Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

God drat I wish Nas didn't turn into a bitch after the MAB fight :(

He didn't turn into one, he was always a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bhsman posted:

Maybe the fight will finish sooner than we thought?

Mods? I thought people got probation for posting high?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If anyone was surprised by this chapter you haven't been paying attention. This is going to go on for a while.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Geop posted:

New raw is up.

Basically Woli continues to god-mode Ippo :mad: Throughout the fight, Woli takes Ippo on in his specialty, infighting. Regardless of it being his specialty, he's beaten rather badly. At the end, Woli goes for a really big wind-up punch, and Ippo charges, trying to hit him in mid-motion. Knowing how this fight has been going, I'm sure Ippo will get the gently caress countered out of him and he'll go down.

Another way to look at this fight is that Woli is essentially the second-coming of Martinez. Even Takamura acknowledged him as being the epitome of boxing talent thus far. Something to help the bitter pill go down a little better, maybe?

No, it is still boring and insufferable. Unless Ippo loses and the manga ends with that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tazman posted:

Dont gloves touching the floor = knockdown?

You kind of have to be touched.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jedah posted:

I feel like it would have been good for the plot if Miyata lost the fight with Randy.

The manga needs a fresh direction, especially with a boring and one dimension character like Miyata. Remember when Ippo lost? It opened up all sorts of possibilities with his character.

Miyata would be forced to confront his reckless decision to fight with a major weight handicap. Finally, if Miyata then swapped weight classes, he'd be able to fight people like Vorg.

C'mon, Vorg vs Miyata. That would be great! They'd be perfect match for the World title. Two long-term characters and fan favorites, fighting at the World stage. That's where we should be right now.

Also, a loss may have motivated him to change his style. To adapt his outboxing to be his, not his father's. We could have seen that his father's style had limitations.

Mostly, Miyata's win annoys because RBJ was FAR more interesting than Woli, and I don't want to see him get written out of the series. RBJ had a believable style that looked intimidating, without being too gimmicky. I mean, he kinda looked like... Surprise! A very strong, World Class boxer.

This whole gimmick fight thing... Man, I don't know. I barely recognize the manga anymore. Also, I don't know what's going on with Takamura these days either. I think Mori made him too good, so now he's having him idle quietly and become a joke character again. That's fine, as long as his next title match is a good one.

I agree with you about RBJ but Takamura is going to continue to move up in weight and will be fighting larger, more powerful dudes that he won't be able to overpower as easily as his previous fights. So his next fight in 2012 might be interesting.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Geop posted:

Kind of makes me wonder what the hell the perfected Dempsey Roll would be. What he did against Sawamura is nice and all, but it would tear the loving hell out of his knees and ankles. Is he just magically gonna be able to do that at some point with no chance of injury?

I don't think it will be as much of a problem for him if he does it again since he has built up the muscles in his legs and core to handle the stress of the start and stop Dempsey roll. The coach was saying at that time that he was building up his muscles so that eventually he would be able to do it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ippo should start using feints.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Eyeshield 21 is pretty good. It has the same concept except with football.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4BpqG_rfk

Posting this as an example of how quickly a fight can change when one fighter can take a punch and the other can't.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He also beat the living hell out of Geromichi.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Woli having low endurance - doesn't make any sense, it's not like endurance is something where you suddenly have energy one minute and don't the next, without realizing it. Woli would have been able to anticipate it

This happens all the time. Most people refer to it as an adrenaline dump.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I've figured it out Woli was born with a congenital heart defect.

He's got a heart murmur. Blood is being flushed back into his lungs. That's why he got tired. No oxygen to his muscles. Soon he will die from pulmonary edema.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jedah posted:

Well, at least it's concluding. We're almost out of this fight.

Oh you poor sap.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wong Dongson posted:

Eyeshield 21 is saved because Hiruma is brilliant and gives no gently caress at all to anything, ever. He is by far the best character in that manga, and every single character poll shows it. Even the writer agrees. He is also the complete opposite of winning through burning spirit, even in situations where that is what he requires. He is the Takamura of Eyeshield 21.

He is the opposite of Takamura. Takamura wins with physical talent and hard work. Hiruma wins because of his intellect and cunning.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah Eyeshield has a lot of over-the-top goofiness in it. That is also why it rules. :colbert: I liked the pregame pumping up that Hiruma did since it is a pretty integral part of the football playing experience. LET'S loving KILL THEM :hellyeah:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was ranked 5th because it was hard finding matches as a heavyweight and the champ at that time didn't want to fight him. Still better than now, considering that Takamura has forgotten how to box.

He wasn't a heavyweight then.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Seemed like a standard quality prefight chapter.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tbp posted:

What I don't get is that Ippo is ranked like 6th in the world or some bizarre poo poo. How can he not be considered ready for the world stage when he's one of the top ranked boxers in his weight class. On top of that, Sendo and Miyata are both above him, right? And he's beaten both of them. This is retarded.

He beat Sendo very early in both of their pro careers so it doesn't mean much when one of them is fighting against other top competitors and the other is fighting Japanese cans. Miyata and Ippo never officially fought so their sparring session at the beginning of the manga wouldn't count towards either of their records or ranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I think the last time they referenced real boxers was when they introduced Mashiba with the flicker jab. I may be forgetting some other point.

They reference a lot Japanese boxers that I can't remember and had never heard of and a few other boxers.