Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Is madhouse gonna do another season of this or what god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ippo retires, replaces coach when he kicks the bucket later on

takamura wins a bunch of world titles and has a kid or two

ippo becomes the trainer of takamura's kid years down the line and the story focuses on them

ippo succumbs to his brain damage later in life and an epilogue says takamura's kid ended up being one of the greatest world champs, but tragically ippo never lived to see it

morikawa gets to write his stupid manga for a few* more years and he gets to pay me royalties for ending his dumb comic

*haha

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ippo: time to unleash, my secret new dempsey roll!!!!!!!!!!

*cuts to ippo leaning up in a hospital bed with a thousand yard stare, swaying back and forth slightly and drooling*

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

This weird.

Like, if Ippo is Street Fighter, Woli is Marvel vs Capcom.

if they do another season of the tv show i wonder how they'll animate this :allears:

or maybe they just skip it altogether but I doubt it so maybe Madhouse looked at that and how the rest of the series is progressing and went like "nah gently caress it" and season 3 is the last we'll get :rip:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

next issue: ippo finally gets laid

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I still want to see Madhouse animate the Woli fight haha

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Will there ever be a season 4 of the show

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A stage show instead of another anime season? :cmon:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Late to the news but man I am :stoked: about Discotek landing the blu-ray release, with the OVA and movie too, hell yeah, fingers crossed for releases of the other two seasons however remote their chances might be

I was always amazed they dubbed the entire first series - hell, Manga Entertainment wasn't that confident with god drat Fist of the North Star and that probably had much greater potential to succeed, they only did what 36 eps? (And stopped right when everything starts getting good as hell too) The dub is not particularly good but not terrible, it's just bland. Takamura's english voice just sounds like a dork and not in a good way, most of the other characters are just completely flat with no big variation in tone or inflection, the actors are just reading their lines with the mildest of emotions at times, it's really unusual. Anytime ippo's voice would drop to an introspective whisper or soft voice in the original the english actor is just TALKING LIKE THIS the entire time

Coach kamogawa was fine, think it might have been Richard Epcar??? Miyata's voice though, holy hell, is so terrible :lol:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope he gets in the ring with Miyata and they both do a double ko and both die right there, the end

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus christ are they really bringing back Wally lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Whoa lol I thought this wasnt supposed to be out for another week? Not complaining though, glad it arrived before my move across the country

Hoping they bring over New Challenger and Rising

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Kinda weird that with how popular Ippo is, including IIRC actual professional boxers who entered the sport because of it, its anime isn't continuing and it has no licenced Western release

But......it does now? lol

I'm holding the Discotek release in my hand rn and I've got the first two collections in a pod 300 miles away, they're solid releases and I'm glad the the final set has Champion Road and the OVA on it

The company says it has sold very well and the sets have sold out on a few sites here and there, so who knows, maybe the extra $$$ might get Madhouse or some other group to keep it going and we get to finally see the Wally fight animated

Edit: I still can't believe this entire thing was fully dubbed too, the sales from the original Geneon release were comically abysmal but they went ahead and not only did all 70+ episodes but even Champion Road

Too bad the script and direction are both bad

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 20, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

I meant the manga doesn't have an actual release, we've been relying on scans for thirty years now.

Speaking of thirty years, is it mildly weird to anyone else that actual irl boxers like Mike Tyson and Thomas Hearns exist in this universe alongside all the wacky cartoon fightmen? Not like, bad weird, just amusing.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh gotcha, my bad :respek:

But yeah, agreed, it's super weird that the manga hasn't seen the light of day over here. The ups and downs of the later arcs be damned, it would be cool to have copies sitting on the shelf in my office

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm liking this fight

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:drat: that loving rules

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That episode of the anime rules, particularly with how they changed the eyecatch

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Maybe Ashita no Joe exists in-universe and she read it and rather not see Ippo become Joe

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Not sure if it was posted here but somebody posted footage of their fan-made 2D fighter that was never finished and drat I would play the hell out of it

https://twitter.com/PontonFSD/status/1517031124324790273?t=bL3_JpLS3SWdofq7YiK4JA&s=19

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tbp posted:

the doctor ippo goes to when he thinks he has cte is named the exact same as the doctor that tells joe he has cte lol

:eyepop: hahahaha whaaaat, that's amazing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat this kinda rules

Frabba posted:

I say this anytime something cool happens, but man I'd really love to see this spar animated.

I'd kill for another season (or two or three)

At the very least it will be nice to see if Discotek can license New Challenger and Rising for bluray releases, maybe the sales might send a message

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol at sendo jumping in, that ruled

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wally's going to die

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol great job ippo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ive come from the future and I must say that Wally was murdered

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Finishing up a rewatch with the Discotek blurays and they made note that they got the home video version of ep 61 versus the broadcast footage that was used in the initial DVD release over here and uh yeah they definitely didn't include the right footage??? :psyduck: was this an error on their part when they were putting out the first batch of discs, because that's pretty lame, the animation is so terrible it's actually distracting lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wally will die

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Most people have probably already seen the series but Ippo is coming to Netflix :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1564149364230131713?t=qPGQNvsjV7t6Burb8DccHg&s=19

That's pretty cool

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wally will die

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do we know if it's gonna be the entire anime? Friend has got me into Ippo through the anime on Crunchyroll, but they don't have the second season just the 1st and 3rd + the movie for some reason.

Just the first season - The Fighting - so no word on New Challenger or Rising....or the movie or OVA either I guess

It's still absolutely bizarre Crunchyroll has Rising but not New Challenger, what the gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that would rule lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha what the gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I have sentenced Wally to death

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Please do not disrespect the hardworking Mashiba

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

(I'm sorry, I can't remember his name, Danpachi or something?)

Nekota dani

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've pulled the ref aside and we agree, Wally will be murdered in the ring

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hahahaha what

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ricardo will throw a single punch and it will decapitate Wally and the crowd will love it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Hajime no Ippo: Wally-Kun... You're Incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

hajime? no ippo!

lol