Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just finally finished all the anime and I'm working on the manga now. I binged the second half of one piece in a week so it shouldn't take me long to catch up to this. I really like this series, Takamura and the coach are both cool. I can't wait to sit around waiting for endless chapters when I do finish catching up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I liked the Sawamura vs Mashiba fight until he killed himself by driving into oncoming traffic

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the point in the manga I'm at, Miyata for some reason canceled his match with Ippo and now he's fighting some dude with scars on his face who thinks his punches can bring him closer to God, and basically right now I actually want to see Itagaki fight someone instead

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Adnor posted:

Miyata has the most boring fights in the manga, can't think of anything memorable about them.

Even Aoki and Kimura had good fights. Hell, Kimura vs Mashiba was one of the best fights.

if aoki and kimura have to fight the stupid coconut and battery guys again I'll be upset

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wish this series was about Sendo instead

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Adnor posted:

I'm sorry but Sendo's been punch drunk since his first fight against Ippo, when he fought unconscious.

sounds good to me

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The part that I'm at in the manga, he just fought that guy from 2 weight classes above him who tried to make him mad, but the only thing that actually worked was insulting the coach. That fight was pretty stupid, and that character especially was stupid. I'm glad Ippo has fights that are really quick in the story, but it spent way too many chapters on that one round.

I just left off after the class A tournament finals, where Itagaki won and Aoki and Kimura lost. I didn't give a poo poo about Itagaki's match with the speed guy who I forgot even existed, but the aftermath of Aoki and Kimura's fights might be interesting, depending on where they go with it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this was a weird rear end time to catch up to this manga

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I skimmed through the last 30 or so pages of the thread while i was on the last leg of the manga and since I was able to read everything all at once i didn't really have the same bitter reactions to stuff being dragged out because I didn't have to wait for chapters, but I definitely get the frustrations and criticisms of the story and pacing.

I still don't hate Kamogawa or anything, and I was still able to enjoy the story even in its lowest moments because I think it kept a few of the core elements and themes that made the story good in the first place, for me anyway. Repetitive at times, sure, but there was always hope for something greater. idk I was going to make a big post but I need some time to think about it, or maybe just leave it at that.

hopefully the rest of this is Hajime no Sendo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think the manga will end with Ippo's retirement here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Alright here's some random thoughts I have about everything now that I finished reading it.

First, I really like most of the recurring characters, and the fact that they end up not only showing up as a supporting cast, but also end up getting their own fights in the story and advance their characters was something I wasn't expecting when I started watching. I thought it would focus just on Ippo, his gym mates, and the opponent of the week. Like when Vorg left japan I thought "welp we'll never see him again lol" but I was wrong and he turned out to be a really cool character. I hope that the manga continues just a bit longer to tie up some loose ends with all these guys. Except Barfmichi. I'm glad he disappears forever after he lost to Ippo.

This probably goes without saying but Takamura vs Hawk is definitely the best fight, easily one of the best shonen arcs I've ever seen, and I basically agree with everything tbp posted about it that I read.

One of my favorite recurring themes of the story was the contrast between effort and "talent". Itagaki could be a pretty dumb and obnoxious character, and I would say most of his fights were bad and I rarely cheered for him, but I think the idea of exploring a "gifted" boxer was a good one, to oppose Ippo who is (supposed to be) all about hard work. Then again, Ippo has some natural gifts too, and it's not like any of his hard work includes boxing smarts and skills. Hell, I'd say Ippo has an uncanny talent for training, if that makes sense. But that's fine, because there's a balance to it. Almost every major character has some kind of struggle between their natural talents or skills and the amount of effort they have to put in to get results, and that's a theme I love seeing in a story like this. However, I think this well-intentioned thematic conflict is what led to Wally. Putting aside a lot of the baggage behind his character, he is supposed to be pure instinct, skill, and talent. But there's no subtlety to that, and even though the author probably wanted Wally to represent this idea of a boxer who runs on pure talent, it just ended up being really dumb. At the time when I was reading it, I was able to look past it and try and go along with what I thought Morikawa intended with the character, but in hindsight it's absolutely stupid and indefensible. Now he's out there in the world, and I don't know if it would be more stupid for him to just be forgotten about, or actually come back as the finely tuned boxing machine he was promised to eventually become.

When it comes to Ippo's character, and Kamogawa, I can totally understand people's frustrations with them, but it feels slightly less deserved than I think it should be. I dunno, it's hard for me to say what the balance should be between Ippo's straightforward character and boxing style, and making him look like a big idiot running into punches. I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea that Ippo has simple strategies that basically amount to stepping into danger all the time because he's an inboxer. I remember at one point they say that his style goes against modern boxing for the most part, and if it were written better, I think that would be a lot more fun to root for. Also I really liked Kamogawa's backstory and that gave him a lot of leeway for me. The problem is definitely the really high number of pointless matches that Ippo has in the second half of the series. What ought to be something exciting, with Ippo using his fighting spirit and toughness to take a few bad hits, and step in and pressure his opponents up close, ends up looking extremely reckless after you keep seeing it against these assholes that aren't Sendo or Miyata or someone we care about. Worse yet, it makes the coach and Ippo look dumber than they should be. You cut out the number of those same strategy fights, and suddenly they don't seem that bad.

All that said, we're on to Ippo now being punch drunk and that seems like it could go a couple ways. Personally, I'd like Ippo to retire at this point, and then cope with the fact that he can't box anymore. It's been said a million times that his character has barely changed, but there's no way he doesn't grow a little bit as a person after this. I don't think this is a bad direction for the story to take per se, but the timing is definitely kind of frustrating, considering how much was built up as this last run being Ippo's last hurrah shot at the world and finally starting to perfect this ULTIMATE DEMPSY ROLL that the story has been teasing for a million chapters. I get that it makes it shocking and tragic, but it also makes it all feel pointless to the reader. Most of it all goes back to "well what was the point of all those stupid gimmick fights". Also stuff like Date's baton pass seem like why bother if this was always going to be the end result? I could go on about more stuff but I'm rambling about things that have already been said.

tl;dr i like this manga but it could have been better with most of the Ippo fights in the middle taken out, or at least had more thought put in to them. I think this post made me sound like I disliked it more than I did

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

get back in the ring bitch

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Prison boxing

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ippo is 100% getting back into the ring. I have no faith he actually stays retired at this point.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Go die in the ring already!!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This was a really good chapter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i hope if they revisit woli he left his coach to return to his island because he got bored of boxing and doesnt do it anymore

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i might be misrembering how the fight went but shouldnt Sendo be a little bit more hosed up right now than how he looks? hes got a couple face bandages and he's just casually watching the match

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

go the gently caress to sleep sendo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

his moms gonna fuckin die and he'll kill himself through boxing

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maybe Miyata will take the hint and get himself out of his lovely weight class. Same with Kimura

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:gizz:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I believe this has been planned all along. Morikawa is a genius.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Geop posted:

My worst fear is that this happens to Ippo and Berserk! :smith:

:smith:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sendo is the new protagonist and we can't have him actually meaningfully progress can we?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gonna be honest this is the most excited ive been for new chapters in a long time because I just want to see what bullshit he's going to do with this character

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ippo defeats Ricardo by inadvertantly immasculating him when he accidentally catches a glimpse of Ippo's monster dong in the showers or something and is overcome with penis envy causing him to lose the match.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think he should cheat and win and not get in trouble, that is the thing that I would like to happen

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

"I'm going to rearrange your guts" ok mashiba 😳

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ah finally, we're out of the gimmick fight and going to a real, deep, and high level boxing match

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

im so hosed up

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

No Wave posted:

I don't really agree. I'm sure everyone has some complaints for how the Ippo x Kumi romance went for about 800 chapters but they're dating for real now so that's behind us. Kumi has realized, just like everyone else, that Ippo is inevitably going to box again. She really doesn't want that to happen and there's nothing she can do about it so she's just kind of dreading the day hoping it doesn't come. If I'm forgetting something specifically passive aggressive, forgive me. Ippo doesn't realize yet that he's going to box again yet and Kumi doesn't want to help him to see the obvious, which I can sympathize with.

They're supposed to be dating? Does Ippo know this??

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Still not sure how deliberate or aware Morikawa is that all of this buildup of Ippo turning into a God Boxer through retirement makes Kamogawa seem really really lovely

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It says a lot that for a long time when the retirement arc started, a lot of people, myself included, were either unsure if or just straight up didn't want Ippo to return to the ring. But at this point, I think it really does feel earned if and when he does come out of retirement.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Break your brain for content, Ippo!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Break your brain for content, Ippo!

Yes! Yes!!!!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ippo is going to KO wally with the stool by chucking it at his head

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Do we know Ricardo's match record?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Woli will win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im reading for wally to win. This is the future of boxing.