Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I'm half-astounded that Morikawa keeps having someone ask Ippo "Are you sure you don't want to try again" this late in the game. It's not needed to establish Takamura's motivation so often, and the only alternative is he's actually planning to have Ippo make a return, which is just ... bad.

This isn't just establishing Takamura's motivation, it's also hinting at the "maybe something's wrong with Takamura" storylines that happen from time to time, and emphasizing the relationship and rapport that Takamura has with Ippo even though he acts so un-serious most of the time.

Which would make a decent explanation for Ippo's return to the ring, something which is almost definitely gonna happen. I like Ippo's course change to become a trainer, but if Morikawa had any intention of sticking to it to the end, he'd probably be too busy writing a boxing trainer manga or building up a new main character to waste chapter after chapter just dangling and rejecting the possibility of a return to the ring over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Do we even see Kumi actually enjoying her time with Ippo and having fun anymore?

It feels like every single time she appears, something boxing-related is happening while she's giving Ippo and friends an evil eye in the background

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Ippo's gonna get too worked up and accidentally kill Wally with the stool, then enter the ring himself to atone by beating Ricardo in Wally's stead

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
The problem is that practically every chapter since Ippo got to Mexico, except for the brief but super good Ippo vs Volg interlude, has been constantly showing us all about how Wally's so wacky and unpredictable but is nevertheless incredibly good at boxing. So now we're just retreading that whole ground again.

Hell, we've even seen it in the ring recently! So far this whole fight has been just Sendo vs Wally again, except instead of having Sendo throwing punches and cursing while Wally runs and jumps around, Ricardo is watching silently while Wally runs and jumps around and occasionally kinda sticks out his fist.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
How many more chapters/rounds do you think it's gonna be before Ricardo actually throws a punch

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
i thought it was a p funny Takamura prank

slow pacing, but it's not like Ippo was gonna do anything more interesting anyway

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
When Ippo became a trainer I thought he was gonna get a bunch of bonding and character moments with Kamogawa, his own very experienced trainer and head of the gym, whom he treats like a mentor and respects like a father. Shame that didn't happen.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

The Notorious ZSB posted:

1400 chapters before we get the main love interest in a bikini, you mad man morikawa

miyata seems more like a swim trunks kind of fella imo

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Rubellavator posted:

Ippo shouldn't be allowed to spar with anyone after what happened with Volg

counterpoint: ippo accidentally crushing his opponents in sparring matches is gonna get funnier every time he does it

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
yeah, I'm rereading this from the start right now and Kamogawa almost never provides any actual help

especially during the early matches. in every rookie kings fight, Kamogawa's just sitting there in the corner saying "I have no idea what to tell the brat, I can't see any way he could win this!", and then Ippo gets the key advice he needs from Takamura or Aoki or something. he basically learned his basic boxing skills from Takamura, the coach didn't do poo poo

by a couple hundred chapters in, the coach is at least pretending to be teaching Ippo how to box, but aside from the mitt-hitting it's mostly vague stuff like "you should work on training your legs next, I have the perfect exercise for that". and then someone else teaches him how to put that boosted leg strength to actual use. and he's still a completely worthless second

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

FutureCop posted:

I've probably mentioned it before (EDIT I absolutely have), but I've always been annoyed with Kamogawa when it came to the Date fight where he just kept hammering in the point that a champion is some sort of otherworldly opponent with much heavier punches than any challenger could ever muster: Ippo absolutely could've won if he was just in a better mental state and didn't view Date as some sort of unstoppable magical being that he wasn't worthy to fight. Hell, it wasn't even Kamogawa: Takamura kept putting Ippo down as well constantly. For god's sake, it's one thing to be cautious and humble, but aren't you supposed to be on your fighter's side as a hype man, in a way? I can't find it right now, but I remember watching one of those 'coach reacts to Ippo' vids and even he was calling out how negative Ippo's coaches were being when they should be supporting him to stay positive.

EDIT Sure enough, just check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8M3Wt8cOk at around 4:40

There's also the fact that it only exists for that one fight. When Ippo's the champion, Kamogawa doesn't tell him to keep in mind the weight of the champion's fists or anything like that - the coach tells Ippo to approach every fight as though he's the challenger, and acts like Ippo is loving Up every time he tries to act like he's actually the champion.

And after every title defense everyone marvels at how humble and modest Ippo is, and concludes that Ippo failing to recognize that he's actually the champion is just a personality trait of is.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Rubellavator posted:

uhhh maybe it's just my memory but i thought the whole "the champions fists are heavy" thing shows up a lot.

oh yeah. it shows up all the time

except when the champ is going to have a tough fight, like Aoki's title challenge or all of Ippo's title defenses. people only talk about all the magic champ powers when the series is trying to hype up the champ as a super extra badass. if Morikawa wants the readers to think the champ is going to get chumped by frog dude or Wally, Kamogawa suddenly doesn't think it's all that special to be a champ

Vizuyos fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 16, 2023

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Mashiba, who'd totally respect Ippo if only he didn't hate him so much

Ippo, who'd totally hate Mashiba if only he didn't respect him so much

such a fun dynamic. they both absolutely loving know better, but they just can't stop being them

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Takes No Damage posted:

I have 0 recollection of that :stare: Didn't his sister take a run at Ippo at one point though?

yeah, early on Itagaki had a crush on Kumi and his sister had a crush on Ippo

like just about everything Itagaki does, it wasn't very memorable. he decided quite early on that since Ippo was clearly into Kumi, he was just gonna bottle his feelings up and shove them way deep down and never ever show it in any way. maybe it'll come up again if the weird complex he has about Ippo ever comes to any resolution

on the other hand, most of his sister's appearances involved her openly pursuing Ippo and making a particular point of trying to get in Kumi's way all the time. if you even remember that he has a sister, that's what you're going to remember, because that's basically all she ever did

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Scallop Eyes posted:

What the gently caress was that second part. I know thats Itagaki's dad, but who is the other guy?

he was a recurring joke character who originally showed up in the audience of one of Kimura's matches and chatted with Takamura there. he was acting all mysterious and knowledgeable so Takamura thought he was some kind of expert, and then the next day Takamura found out he was actually a broke gambler who was sleeping on the streets. for whatever reason, Takamura really took to him, and they've been pals ever since

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Mashiba will win but suffer a career-ending injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I think it's a fair point that it doesn't need to show every single thing that happens onscreen, especially for the side characters

If Morikawa suddenly decided one day that he really wants to rush an end to Ippo, he could easily just timeskip past a bunch of stuff and just briefly cover Sendou's and Takamura's fights during that period as a quick recap/flashback that mostly just focuses on the result.