Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
A great Online Ippo manga viewer:
http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/ippo.php?chap=843&img=01

Newest Chapter 844 RAW:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W859X19G
or
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0m0ejh

No comment on this chapter, you'll have to see it for yourself to believe it. I'm totally unsure how I feel about the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Honest Thief posted:

Man, Ippo looked like a midget on the early chapters, the artstyle has come a long way.

Yes, though I'm not quite sure how his current physique isn't totally freakish by now, or how he's remained comfortably in the same weight class despite becoming a superhuman.

At one point, it is shown that Ippo's own arm strength is almost equivalent to Takamura, during a game of arm wrestling. This was way earlier in the series too. Takamura is what, about 6 weight classes above Ippo?

I'd think, at the least, he'd resemble Shimabukuro's body type more, or maybe (at least) Sendo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Would love for the finale to be Itagaki vs Ippo. It would be Ippo's first title defense as World champion, after beating Martinez.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 1, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 845 RAW:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oem8wv
http://www.mediafire.com/?jqmhnnzyezl

I tell ya, this drat fight...

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I thought part of the benefit of this thread was not using spoiler tags? Well, in any case, I'm looking forward to Ippo's next fight, hoping that he won't fight like a retard again. He does a brilliant performance vs Karasawa then turns back into a lovely boxer. Mori, you tease!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

846 RAW:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u2km36
http://www.mediafire.com/?mnmfnzzinnm
This is a big one, fellas.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Deathy posted:

At least this is finally out of the way now though and Miyata's story wont be the main focus of the manga for a while.

Yes. Those are my sentiments exactly. I've wanted to see the Class A tournament for a long time now, it looks like it'll be awesome.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

NovaPolice posted:

Hell, I expect him to start flying or punching through guys or something, because he's gone beyond normal shounen sports "overcoming impossible odds with willpower" silliness into the territory of "I can do anything with willpower" ridiculousness.

Wait, I get it now. Ippo and Miyata will take Japan to the world stage by having superhuman damage absorbing powers! Ribs poking into your lungs and repeated concussions and shattered hands and shredded muscles and detached retinas mean nothing when you have SAMURAI FIGHTING SPIRIT

I agree, I'm losing interest in this manga quickly, and that's saying a lot. Been reading it for years, and this last fight just seemed very sloppy. If I want superhuman powers and poo poo I'll read Naruto or Dragonball Z.

It's okay to have some degree of pushing limits, and I know it's been a theme in the series... However, Miyata is supposed to be weak at taking damage. That's been a character trait since the beginning, from the pinpoint uppercut grazing him from Ippo, to Mashiba fouling. That's part of what made him a dynamic character, he didn't have the endurance of Ippo or Takamura. Now, apparently, that's a moot point. Floating bits of your own ribs are nothing FIGHTING SPIRIT.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Cowboy posted:

I think the main thing is we just haven't gotten to watch Ippo fight, in what, 200 chapters? I can't even remember who he last fought? Was it that magician guy, that retarded fight?

The only way this last Miyata fight would've been cool is he had lost, and that would've only set up Ippo to loving obliterate Randy.

Yep, Ippo vs Mashiba was fueled on this premise, and it worked beautifully. Ippo thinks about Miyata's loss (due to fouling) and throws out an angry punch at a soda machine, practically turning it concave and shattering the glass. I like seeing Ippo when he isn't a total pushover.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Soth posted:

<everyone> MAN IPPO SURE IS BETTER THAN US! <Ippo> TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN <Takamura> MAN I SURE AM BETTER THAN IPPO

Hahaha... Glad you made that a spoiler, because it summarizes, in essence, 89 volumes of manga. But hey, we love it.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I know how you guys feel. I was pretty skeptical at first about this being another gimmick match, but just look at this next fight as a chance for Ippo to prove his growth and monstrous potential on the World Stage. I have a strong hunch that everything is being setup to do exactly that.

Does this warrant spoiler tags? Just a bunch of vague theoretical speak.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

870 RAW: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=US13EKIN

Starting to feel like the Gedo match a little bit.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

If you think about the long history of Ippo fights, this one is not dragging too badly. I have some hope that it will turn around and become exciting pretty soon.
I bet in a few more chapters and Woli will start to get really scared, and take massive damage.

It'll be great. Maybe we can get a metaphorical sequence. Imagine Woli picturing himself in the jungle swinging around with his monkey buddies, eatin' bananas and bein' chill, and then, some nameless dark entity knocks his rear end down and starts to hunt him throughout the jungle. It would be an awesome way to show that this is "The Ring", not "The Jungle" and that Woli is unfit to remain there with someone as powerful as Ippo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I agree, the fight sucks. Mostly because:

Miguel already told us the outcome of the match.

Miguel said that Kamogawa was a rare "Samurai" capable of making the "impossible possible through sheer force of will." He doubted anyone else in Japan could pull that off as a boxer. Well, surprise! Ippo can pull that off, and that's how he will win against Woli.

I'm almost 100% positive we'll see a flashback to Anderson vs Kamogawa and Kamogawa "ghosting" behind Ippo as he oblierates Woli with a super spirit punch.

Right now, we're subjected to the "impossible" scenario for Ippo to win (current chapters). A month from now, he'll probably pull off a miracle in a few more chapters.

It's just frustrating we have to sit through it, knowing how predictable and lame the writing is. We've seen this outcome a dozen times. I'd much rather the fight be a back-and-forth exchange where the lines blur and we don't know the outcome. Like Mashiba vs Sawamura.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

Some solace to be taken from this fight is that it will likely end Woli's career.

I wish you were right about that, but I doubt it. Sounds too dark for this particular fight. Shigeta, Hawk, and Anderson were all broken by fights, but they were also total jerkoffs.

Woli is just a "genius" having fun and being carefree, and causing us all great aggravation in the process.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Just out. 877 RAW:
http://rapidshare.com/files/317462426/Hajime877.zip.html

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I'm glad goodvisiontoucan is reading the manga, brings back memories. Talking about the old glory days of Ippo are far more exciting than the current slop. It's like old dudes in a barber shop talking about Ali or Foreman fights in their prime.

At least if they animate Ippo again the next series of fights will be very good ones.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 19, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

goodvisiontoucan posted:

gently caress Bryan Hawk. Good job Takamura. Just finished where the anime ends, whoa.

This stream of consciousness posting will be pretty hilarious as you approach the later parts of the manga.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Guys, keep reading and reminiscing about the glory days manga. It's good for thread morale. We need it. The current fight couldn't be worse.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Can't imagine just breezing through the Gedo fight and RBJ fight. They might almost be likable fights if you could just mindlessly click through 'em, and hope for better things to come.

New Chapter, 879 is out:
http://uploading.com/files/mc47df6c/Hajime879.zip/

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 28, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Geop posted:

Ugh. Why don't those uploaders use something convenient like Rapidshare or Megaupload :mad: Downloading 14MB at 35k/sec is agonizing. I wanna know what happens :argh:

Let's just say, it isn't anything you weren't already expecting!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

goodvisiontoucan posted:

The Gedo fight blew and I'm apparently not looking forward to this next one. Ah I want Ippo to have the best fights. Can't wait till he and Miyata and Itagaki eventually meet. But gently caress THIS MANGA IS LONG

It is. I give the writer a lot of slack. He's been at it for a very long time, maybe he's just desperate for new ideas and experimenting.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Yeah dude, didn't you know, Woli is a "genius"! He can shotgun a beer while leaping from tree vines and poo poo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Anyone remember when Date "passes the glove" to Ippo and Ippo is all "gently caress yeah let's do this!"? How many years has it been in Ippo-time?

What is this "plot" you speak of, that's silly. Those days are over.

Let's go air-diving, bro! :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Miyata's ribs got busted in the fight with Randy, and he suffered many other injuries too. Frankly, I thought Miyata showed Ippo-like endurance after he took such a severe beating. So he needs to recover for a while, and may need to change weight classes. Not sure why he's still at Featherweight, really, since he presently doesn't seem determined to fight Ippo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I feel like it would have been good for the plot if Miyata lost the fight with Randy.

The manga needs a fresh direction, especially with a boring and one dimension character like Miyata. Remember when Ippo lost? It opened up all sorts of possibilities with his character.

Miyata would be forced to confront his reckless decision to fight with a major weight handicap. Finally, if Miyata then swapped weight classes, he'd be able to fight people like Vorg.

C'mon, Vorg vs Miyata. That would be great! They'd be perfect match for the World title. Two long-term characters and fan favorites, fighting at the World stage. That's where we should be right now.

Also, a loss may have motivated him to change his style. To adapt his outboxing to be his, not his father's. We could have seen that his father's style had limitations.

Mostly, Miyata's win annoys because RBJ was FAR more interesting than Woli, and I don't want to see him get written out of the series. RBJ had a believable style that looked intimidating, without being too gimmicky. I mean, he kinda looked like... Surprise! A very strong, World Class boxer.

This whole gimmick fight thing... Man, I don't know. I barely recognize the manga anymore. Also, I don't know what's going on with Takamura these days either. I think Mori made him too good, so now he's having him idle quietly and become a joke character again. That's fine, as long as his next title match is a good one.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 29, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I agree, Ippo does need a reality check. Everyone saw the Karasawa match and thought, "oh, wow! Maturity! Growth! the main character is becoming a Champion!"

Then, you know, a series of terrible fights happened, and Ippo apparently forgot how to box.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

880 is out.
http://uploading.com/files/get/dmfd852c/

In this chapter, Mori forcibly tries to remove most his fanbase.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

881 is out.

http://uploading.com/files/7b24b112/Hajime881.zip/
Mirror - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=737U2S4A

Warning: Don't get your hopes up.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

My morale is just gone, I've almost completely given up interest in the manga after years of reading. Maybe I'll come back in a little while and things will be looking better. Since all of this is a free read, I can't really complain too much, though.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

It's not too late. Let's all move over to Grappler Baki and Baki: Son of Ogre.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

tazman posted:

Uh what? The art should be the least of your worries.

It's true though, the art peaked around chapter 500. Sawamura vs Ippo and Eagle vs Takamura looked fantastic, felt like the artist had hit his stride. Today it looks much more unnatural, and the little chicken legs make no sense.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

canoshiz posted:

Dudley's new Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra looks familiar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IcWff8yu8s

Just saw that, pretty awesome. Don't forget this one, literally called "Corkscrew Blow", a nod to Date's Sunday Punch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EXUK5KAFA
The 3rd Strike version was way less cheesy.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

885 is out:
http://hotfile.com/dl/29473410/acfc30f/Hajime.zip.html

Also using this post to promote a little music remixing I did from the anime. Swapped out the music and it changes the whole dynamic of the scene.
Arnie vs Miyata:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydjBXrudIII
And my favorite one, Date vs Martinez:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pW8OTNr4A

Jedah fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 22, 2010

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

You just know Hajime No Ippo has taken its true dive when the story is uneventful enough that just reading posts about Slam Dunk in this Ippo thread are getting me interested. Don't care for basketball much, though. Personally, I've switched to Grappler Baki, which is great. I needs me a good new fightin' manga.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Deathy posted:

would a Takamura title match in the future be enough to get people reading again? Is there anything that would draw you back to the series now?

Sure, lots of things would get me feeling passionate about the series again. Just a quick few:

1) Ippo loses (as he should) to Woli.
The Coach takes a seriously hard look at himself and his training style and decides that he needs to refine it if the kid is to survive at the world stage. The Coach and Nekota reunite, teaming up together to make Ippo a true world stage contender. Ippo's boxing style evolves and rapidly changes for the better.

2) Sawamura trains a young talented boxer.
Sawamura pours all of his soul & boxing skills into a savage, young, misunderstood youth, who proceeds to have a death-match with Itagaki. Itagaki loses his cockiness once and for all when the first round begins and the up-and-coming boxer uses the new refined "Bullet" punch with devastating results.

3) Takamura has a real fight with a powerful contender.
None of this joke poo poo anymore, Takamura needs a challenge. He should fight the equivalent of Manny Pacquiao, a boxer with genuine strength and skills. No gimmicks. Takamura has to fight well beyond his current level in order to win the match.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

page not found posted:

gently caress you again, Mori.[/spoiler]

I don't know why you're saying this. Right now, I get the feeling that Ippo is actually going to lose. Isn't that what most of you think now?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

page not found posted:

But if he lost, we'd definitely see Woli again. I don't want that.

You are probably right. At this point, I want Ippo to lose. Very badly. While Woli is no exemplary fighter, at least traditionally, he's found every flaw in Ippo's style and exploited it to the fullest. Ippo has been fighting like a dolt for a while now, and not since his very mature Karasawa match did he act like "The Champion." The formula of watching Ippo getting massacred and then somehow throwing a miracle comeback blow should not cut it anymore. Here's hoping Mori breaks his tried-and-true FIGHTING SPIRIT writing style.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 28, 2010

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

A great ending would be if Ippo manages to land a gigantic bomb of a punch, as his last ditch effort to comeback. Woli takes it, he's rumbly and damaged, maybe even falls, but still presses on, and continues to beats the hell out of Ippo. The Coach tosses the towel. It'd be proof that his strategy of using pure retard strength punching power is not enough. Ippo is back to his old ways of acting like a living punching bag. I feel like we've jumped back in manga history a few years.

I'd respect Woli a lot more if we knew about his potential toughness and tenacity for the world stage. I liked Gedo a hell of a lot more when I knew about his history. Gedo could've been a fascinating character if we spent a few chapters exploring his history as a thief, his poverty and hardship, and maybe went into detail about how the gunshot wound permanently tainted him.

Mori is excellent at setting up the house of cards for all to see, then knocking them all over very abruptly. He does this by following the same boring story arcs. Mix it up a little, guy.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Right after Sawamura vs Mashiba, the manga truly took an enormous dive. While I am totally grateful for Mori's golden days of consistent high quality and story arcs, it's painful to see what the manga has become now.

That's why I hope Ippo loses right now. It would mark a complete and utter end to this retarded trend of matches lately. Mori could re-invent his current path for Ippo's character from the ground up ,and maybe next time he steps into the ring he wouldn't be a complete fool.