Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The chapter that... tears the fanbase in two!

The bullshit ending that no one wanted but deep down everyone knew was coming. I guess some people will be more accepting than others though.

For me I wouldn't care if he hadn't showed that panel of Miyata's ribs smashing. Miyata was dominating early in the fight so the very idea of him beating RBJ wasn't absurd, it's just the fact he done it with insane injuries.

The new punch is okay I guess. Jolt corkscrew basically, people have been nicknaming it "THE BOLT" because of the whole lightning thing (or maybe the chapter says that?). I guess a nice addition to the whole lightning God thing but whatever.

At least this is finally out of the way now though and Miyata's story wont be the main focus of the manga for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

He didn't change weightclass. I don't think anyone said that he did...?

It's been stated millions of times that he SHOULD change weightclass as featherweight is unnatural for him but he hasn't yet.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The problem is really that it would've been easy to have the fight's outcome be the same (Comeback KO, new counter move, surpassing father's boxing, etc) without it being as ridiculous unrealistic as it turned out being. Morikawa just seemed intent on building up "dramatic tension" as much as possible to somehow make the comeback KO even more "impressive" than it has been before in Miyata's fights. It sadly had the opposite effect.

A few less rounds of Miyata taking so much damage and none of the prolonged stupid poo poo while his ribs were already broken and the fight would've been fine. It was a good fight in the beginning, Morikawa just seriously needs to learn to stop dragging poo poo the gently caress out. He seems intent on making sure he gets every single last idea he has into every fight, no matter how lovely those ideas are.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

tazman posted:

What the gently caress is this 12 page bullshit.

It's happened before.

Ippo is a weekly manga though it often has a higher detail level than other weekly releases. I guess Morikawa occasionally isn't up for putting out quite as many pages as usual.

Kinda makes sense after how frickin long he was drawing that RBJ fight for.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

If you want to be optimistic about it, this fight might be slightly shorter than the Randy Boy Junior - Miyata fight.

Being optimistic.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Jose posted:

How about we all get even more depressed and think about the gimmick of the next opponent he'll fight? Can it be even more terrible than the current one? If Ippo hadn't already faced a black boxer that made everyone poo poo themselves then I'd suggest that but who knows.

Some solace to be taken from this fight is that it will likely end Woli's career.

I'm pretty confident this is Ippo's last fight with an Oriental champion or whatever. I'd like to think after this he'll be aiming for like top 5 rankers or something like that (although gently caress knows what the world ranks of his last few opponents were?)

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm actually pretty sure he'll be done with this thing after this fight. There's a volume cover from quite a while back which has 3 characters on the front, before they were scheduled to fight Ippo (or at least before 2 of them were).

The characters were Jimmy Sisfa, Gedo and Woli. That kind of suggested to me it was going to be a trilogy of matches.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Man I had kind of figured the recent fights were only that bad when you were waiting week by week, but new readers really hate them too?

It really is a bad sign of the direction this manga is taking and its overall quality level.

What was the last fight mostly everyone would agree they genuinely enjoyed? Mashiba vs Sawamura maybe?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I will say I fought the Jimmy Sisfa fight was fine enough. Maybe a bit too much of the FIST OF GOD and GOD ABOVE THE RING stuff but otherwise it was pretty entertaining.

EDIT: gently caress I just looked at some chapter dates. The Gedo fight was over 2 years ago already, drat.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

As awesome as the Sendo Gaiden is, it's recent enough that it still doesn't make an ounce of sense. 35 older, taller guys? One punch each for them but Sendo walks home fine afterwards?

It gets away with it though because it's Sendo though. I suppose he has that Kenpachi thing going on for him. poo poo doesn't need to make a drat ounce of sense as long as it's someone this awesome. :v:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

An Outland Dish posted:

God, TL:DR has never been more appropriate.

Is this still bannable? I'm not entirely in touch with the specific rules nowadays. :v:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I honestly had no idea if he was applying it to the chapter or what.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think it was me who mentioned that. Here's the cover by the way. I think it's from well before the Gedo fight but I'm not sure.

http://i43.tinypic.com/16trb9.jpg

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Can everyone at least say about this fight that they'll be very satisfied and entertained when Woli finally takes a massive punch that knocks him the gently caress down and wipes the smug look off his face?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The 882 raw is out now. Imagine 881 with a few more pages and even worse.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Is Ippo's expression at the end of 882 really a sign of comeback?

I don't have a clue what he's saying but his face looks like he's giving up. When he tried to get even a tiny hit on Woli at the end of the last round, if you look closely it was STILL blocked.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Does Ippo mean "One Step" or something? I forget if it's that or Hajime or whatever but whatever the case the end of this chapter is obviously representing that this is what Ippo's character is all about, slowly working his way upwards step by step to the world stage.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Gravity? That image perfectly encapsulates this fight I think.

Cool I'd been thinking punches breaking the sound barrier and loose gloves working as extending fists weren't nearly absurd and impossible enough to keep me captivated. Another wonderful step further away from the laws of physics for Morikawa, excellent.

There's a guy on the right of that pic that looks very distraught with "BOXING" on his shirt. He represents the sport as a whole and its opinion of this moment.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The fact is it's hard to keep any sports anime or manga exciting over time because authors always try to introduce new elements and strategies into every fight/game and they cant keep it up forever. Once you get to the pinnacle of what makes sense in the real sport, trying to keep thinking up new ideas beyond that goes into lovely gimmick country fast.

Morikawa's problem is that he just stretched the manga out way too loving long and has strayed way too far into gimmick country. Ippo certainly did not need as many title defenses as he had before moving on to the world stage and the poo poo that happens in the background with Itagaki and the like isn't very interesting at this point and just serves to further postpone the only plot development anyone truly gives a poo poo about (Takamura and Ippo's fights, to a lesser extent if Aoki and Kimura will ever win a belt).

I feel like Morikawa has decided he wants Ippo to be his life's work and is determined to drag the series out for as long as possible in any way he physically can think of to do so.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

From what I read of a translated script of 884 it does sound at least kind of like a turning point.

Ippo accomplishes his goal of touching Woli 5 times. At the very least he's confident in his own progress.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Infinitum posted:

No the series has been going along fine. This FIGHT has been going on way too long.

So you don't think it would've been better if Ippo had a few less title fights, started fighting Pacific champs much earlier (while Morikawa wasn't quite so fresh out of ideas) and was already getting close to a fight with Martinez by now?

I mean at this point it seems like the Coach would still call Ippo a million years too green to fight Martinez or something equally stupid.

I think the series is going to be way, way overlong when it finally finishes because I keep in mind Takamura's ridiculous goal too and the fact he isn't halfway there yet.

Not that Takamura's goal isn't awesome but gently caress, how long will that take, seriously. It's already been like 5-6 years or something in real life time since he fought Eagle.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

For anyone who's "stopped" or "taking a break" from the series, out of curiousity, would a Takamura title match in the future be enough to get people reading again? Is there anything that would draw you back to the series now?

I mean I can understand why people would quit now but I'm interested if it's for good or just until some good poo poo goes down again.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

Yeah my problem with the manga now is that it legit feels like Ippo has regressed.

In this fight it was established that Ippo doesn't have to rely on his chin and the dempsey roll to kill everyone but that rather his basic punches were on a good level.

but then he fought black magician and australian monkey man and derp derp gently caress jabs and hooks where we're going we don't need technique to box

It's funny reading the Karasawa fight then skipping straight ahead to Woli. Ippo looks like he's loving paper thin now compared to back then.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think there was a chapter where someone told Ippo that other than a specific list of boxers they stated in the conversation, all of Ippo's opponents had retired.

I forget if that included Nao or not, but I think it might have.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

This manga has just been ruined artistically for me forever since some people on the Dynamite Glove forum were talking about how shittily drawn the ears in the series are. Somehow I never noticed before that they're just an ear outline with random circles drawn inside.

I understand it's just Morikawa's style to do that I guess...but drat when you notice it, it stands out.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The next thing coming up is the Class A tournament which Itagaki, Kimura and Aoki are all hoping to do well in.

It should be a decent change of pace but it's probably an excuse for Morikawa to take Itagaki's fights up another level of stupidity too. Just wait till he's punching at the speed of light.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Morikawa will show his superior and more full understanding of physics by having the crowd go "what was that flash?" and then Takamura is like "Jesus Christ...his punch must have smashed the light barrier..."

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

It's actually been nearly a year already I think, at least 9 months anyway.

Maybe it was just signalled that the intention was "there" for a next series but I bet DVD sales have been poo poo and put them off, as it's not like the series ever gets any better than Takamura vs Hawk, so if that doesn't sell, nothing will.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I wonder if Morikawa's burning Japanese pride is the reason we've seen next to no overseas fights in the series. The only one I even remember was Miyata vs Jimmy Sisfa.

I'm willing to bed all the world rankers will still end up coming to fight Ippo in Japan.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

People talking about Ippo fighting Miyata for world title just made me realise how far this could potentially be dragged out.

Ippo surely has to have the chance to fight Martinez, so potentially it could happen that Ippo fights Martinez, loses, Miyata fights him, wins, then Ippo challenges Miyata at the top of the world.

I wonder if Sendo will also come into play here too though. He's been aiming for the world just now as well, training against Mexicans or whatever.

Seriously though Christ, with that going down, Aoki, Kimura and Itagaki still having fights in the series, Takamura still pursuing his ambition...this series could potentially be dragged out for like another 10 years. Obviously before Ippo challenges Martinez too he's going to be fighting more Western boxers.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm not sure how much more I want to see of Mashiba, because every fight he has Morikawa exaggerates the distance his flickers are capable of even more, to the point where eventually he's basically going to be loving punching people from the other side of the ring and we're going to be expected to believe it's the result of intense training.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm pretty sure he did in the manga too.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Not made by me, but this is awesome and seems like an entirely possible scenario. :v:

http://i46.tinypic.com/mn1d0x.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/28iuult.jpg

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

I vaguely remember Saeki, but I'm drawing a blank on the other guy.

You should remember Karasawa. Ippo's fight with him is part of why people hate the recent Ippo fights.

Ippo crushed Karasawa with skill and experience, without really looking troubled once throughout the fight. He finally looked like a real champion.

Then, following that, he seems to have got progressively worse if anything.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Morikawa should just gently caress the boxing and make it entirely a gag manga now.

Just stick it in her already!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Jedah posted:

Sadly, it's still terrible. Ippo's new opponent is basically Hoshi 2.0. No idea at all why he is fighting again, everyone wants to see other matches from the supporting characters.

You know that's why I'm slightly optimistic this fight wont be a big deal. Like the fact that it's so soon and seems pointless (other than as a reminder that Ippo IS still Japanese champion) hopefully means that it'll be over quickly and just a quick way to show how Ippo doesn't buckle under the pressure of bunches "from 2 divisions higher".

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Fabricated posted:

They still have some go-to shonen bullshit arcs.

-Someone literally dies in the ring, finally
-Takamura's various championships
-Aoki/Kimura retiring
-Kamogawa dies
-Ippo actually touches someone of the opposite sex

etc etc.

You know when I was originally catching up in Ippo back in 04 or 05 or something I was shocked this hadn't happened yet. I always assumed maybe that was the route the author was gonna take, that Kamogawa would die and that perhaps Takamura would retire (detatched retina issue, or for some other reason) and take over the gym and take on the old man's goal as respect to the fact he helped him to the top of the world.

As much as people would hate the idea of Takamura not continuing his goal, if Morikawa is losing his touch on fights, I'd rather see the story go in a direction like that where there was genuine emotional impact.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

So when was the other time Ippo got angry?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

trucutru posted:

Ippo's weakness better be something *huge* (no, not his dick) because all this cock teasing about it is only setting everyone for a disappointment.

Morikawa used to write an excellent manga, I wonder if he will be able to make this "Ippo's weakness" poo poo work.

It's a really bad idea to even get any hope up at all that it'll be genuinely huge.

Of course, he's got to ACT like it's huge, like absolutely everything gets played up even if it seems utterly retarded ("My glove extends 2 cm, this totally fucks you up royally for some reason!").

I think anyone with half a brain knows all the logical weaknesses Ippo has, which is why whatever comes up is probably going to be some contrived and stupid way of tying them all together somehow.

It might come down to him not being able to think for himself well and only following strategies that Kamogawa has set for him, which are now predictable, so his weakness there being that he doesn't think for himself, he's too reliant on his coach, something like that.

Of course if it does go down that route then obviously what will happen is Ippo fighting to prove that the Coach's boxing is all he needs to take on the world, i.e. Miyata vs Randy boy 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Actually, most disappointing thing in this chapter is that it looks like Takamura's next championship belt is a walkover.

I think this is just another title defense?