Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Jedah posted:

Yes. Those are my sentiments exactly. I've wanted to see the Class A tournament for a long time now, it looks like it'll be awesome.

I just think Miyata is a very boring character and wouldn't mind if he could never box again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Oh, I get it. It's a Groundhog's Day joke guys.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I thought there was some news about this fight being over but instead it's just a bunch of talk about other series. That's ok though, because I am totally going to read Slam Dunk now.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think Slam Dunk is pretty good. What's really nice about it is how easy it is to read. You can polish off 50 chapters in a day easily if don't have much else to do. One thing I really like is how retribution for arrogance isn't harshly punished. I really like that Hanamichi is a self proclaimed genius, and at no point has a struggled with this perception of himself so far. So it's like having a comic where Takamura is the main character, which is awesome.

On the topic of Eyeshield, I enjoyed it, but I think they could have made it a lot more interesting in terms of coaching strategy. I know it was supposed to introduce newcomers to American Football, but after they taught the basics it seemed liked the focused more on ridiculous superpowered characters instead things like 3-4 defenses, wildcat formation, flea flickers, etc. Maybe that would be too boring for a lot of people, but I would love to read a football manga that takes itself that seriously.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

KittenofDoom posted:

I've been reading this comic for the last few weeks, and I just finished Aoki's title fight. I rarely laugh that much in any comic outside of One Piece. It's just about the halfway point, but does this comic remain this good all the way into the late 800's, where you guys are?

The series is a lot easier to tolerate in large chunks. There are still a lot of neat fights, they just don't seem to be against Ippo anymore. If you ever catch up I suggest you don't try to follow the weekly release and just wait a few years to pick it up again.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I've actually stopped reading the chapters and I just read the spoilers/reactions in this thread. It's more entertaining to be honest.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I finished Slam Dunk, I didn't really enjoy it as much as you guys. Since I read Bakuman I'm kind of an expert on how Jump works, so it's pretty clear in the series where the editor was like, "You're canceled." My main problem was with the pacing of everything. The games were pretty fun in the beginning, but soon it seemed like it would take 20 chapters to run 2 minutes off the clock. I'm glad comics these days don't use terrible pacing like that

:smith:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I was kind of joking around, but it seemed like the series was planned out longer than it ran. Maybe it wasn't cut, but the author definitely ended it early.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
So the giant Freshman from the other school was just a red herring?
Also, the part I didn't like about the comic wasn't the main cast -- that was easily the best of the series. It's when it would take a chapter in the middle of the game and go into some opponents back story. What's the point of building that kind of stuff up and then never using it?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm actually going to be sad when this is over, because now it's like an Andy Kaufman bit.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They should have just released any one of the other chapters from this fight again to see if anyone would have noticed.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Geop posted:

I think it was moreso just the sensation of standing back up or something. This shouldn't be Ippo instilling fear in Woli.

Judging by the organ close-ups, though, it seems like Ippo did some serious doctor-like precision-blows like we've seen before :v: I can't recall the blows off the top of my head (image joints blocked at work yet not Somethingawful? :psyduck:), but I remember one in particular definitely hit him in the liver-type-region. Even if he was unconsciously doing corkscrew blows, they shouldn't do any real damage given the force he had behind 'em.

Ugh, Mori :smith:

Actually, I just had an idea. Couldn't this be a carry-over from the chin-tap earlier in the fight? Or maybe it at least has some effect here?

I think this makes the most sense. You know how you just have to tap your funny bone to make your elbow feel all weird? It's probably something similar to that even though Ippo isn't doing it on purpose.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

The reason why his faster than sound punch didn't bother me as much is that I could easily rationalize it away as just being an exaggeration, and that in reality he just punched really fast. (I know it probably wasn't intended to be just an exaggeration, it's just easy to imagine it that way)

For someone sitting at a distance, a lot of punches will look like they're faster than sound naturally. I suppose if you have a really really fast punch it will just be a lot more noticeable.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ok, here's my stupid logic. When you're running you can get a cramp if you're fully exhaled when your right foot impacts the ground. This is because your breathing is in cycle with your footsteps, and you're basically smashing your liver. I'm going to say Ippo's punches had a similar effect.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think she was going to sleep with him, but he got a head start and passed out on his on. I'm not worried about Ippo damaging his brain, he's already pretty retarded in a lot of aspects.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Geop posted:

Couldn't get a good feel for what was new about the Dempsey Roll 3.0. I guess it's just that his ligaments/joints can handle the strain now? Or was it mostly sealed strictly BECAUSE of that? ie: long-term usage would yield permanent damage.

The sad part is that if Ippo pulled that out when they were both at full strength, the match might have ended a bit sooner. Woli getting clocked here isn't really due to his fatigue, I don't think.

The reason the dempsey roll was sealed was because it would never work on a boxer like Miyata. It was determined Ippo would have to take out the legs first. It just so happens that Woli's legs are made out of fine pastry, so everything works out.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This fight is some much better than the Woli match it's like reading a different comic. The momentum is really well done.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
To hell with a one hit KO. I want the challenger to loving die.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The only problem is, after Ippo kills this guy he's going to be all moody about boxing for 600 chapters.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Since anything anyone ever says is wrong, it looks like Ippo will get the one hit ko, and everyone will explain in hindsight why it happened.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Hortism posted:

Really, we had 3 pages on the mystery of the bell that wouldn't ring?! MORIKAWA!!!

I'm positive the dude is just trolling now. Maybe next week we'll get only 7 pages and someone will start to throw a punch.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The posts after a new chapter are always better than the chapter itself.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
What are the odds the punch is thrown at the beginning of the next chapter but doesn't connect before the end? Pretty good I'll bet.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

What are the odds the punch is thrown at the beginning of the next chapter but doesn't connect before the end? Pretty good I'll bet.

Looks like I was wrong, didn't even throw the punch...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The only thing that can save this fight now is a miscarriage subplot with Kojima's wife. It will also confirm a theory I have...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
No one sticks with it weekly forever. After this fight a lot of us will bail on the series and check back in a year or two later to see if it's still around.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ippo better be dead, I'm so tired of this poo poo. An entire chapter spent on one punch built up from chapters of powering up. It's poo poo pay off, this comic is poo poo. I guess the fact that ippo grew up on a fishing boat means he has really good stamina and balance. Oh yea, he also is a loving moron so no number punches he takes to the head can make him any more retarded than he already is.

Looking forward to the next chapter where every character has 20/20 hindsight and explains what Ippo should have done.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ippo just really loves boxing

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This was the best chapter and it's why I read this stupid comic. I hope Ippo becomes stone cold now and is like, "Stop feeding me this trash and let me fight a real opponent."

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
None of you love boxing enough :colbert:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's a good comic again! We'll see how long this lasts.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's good because instead of Ippo brooding for 20 chapters about how he doesn't know how to box anymore, he got told he did the right thing and to never do it again, and then amazingly Takamura actually left locker room. It was amazing because more than 1 thing happened in a chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I predict in the next chapter Ippo will nail Kumi and street fight Miyata.