Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I feel like its become an issue that the other boxing characters get more engaging interesting fights because there isn't some need to drag out the Ippo bits to show he's got room to grow. Can for once (beyond like the 1 title defense) we just get a fight where Ippo is clearly the superior boxer and wins as a world ranker convincingly because he should?

This fight in particular is really just dragging for I guess suspense that I don't want. I'm tired of woe is me Ippo, please let him actually do things right. He doesn't need to be perpetually flawed, and dragging out the "IS HE BROKEN OR NOT" plot thread is really dull in that if he is this poo poo is over and he could have wrapped it up without this.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

tbp posted:

I'm so annoyed by that leak that I keep alternating between wanting to write an effort post on why it's so bad to just throwing my hands in the air and giving up entirely

:agreed:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ippo hasn't grown as a person ever since he first became champion.

Honestly his lack of personal growth has been a hamper for a lot longer than that. He hasn't really changed since he stopped being a wet sop of a pushover by joining the gym.

Will he and Kumi ever like become a real couple instead of the awkward mirror images people? Years and he can't be anything more than the plainest motherfucker on the planet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo knew the whole time. At least it being a functional suicide mission makes his proclamation easier to swallow.

I guess we'll see where it goes from here...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Patware posted:

the storytelling is fine. everything makes sense, nothing feels weirdly asspulled

however, gently caress this

That's about right yesss sir

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Wait. THE END?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

The biggest problem with most of the later fights is that they feel completely like wasted time. Why does Ippo need to defend his Japanese title double digit times? All of the other world stage fighters held onto theirs for 2 or 3 defenses then noped out. He wasted so much time having Ippo fight functionally worthless matches instead of actually progressing his story. Which is probably the most irritating thing about the current development, is that it could have still played out this way but been much more satisfying if he hadn't kept Ippo locked in stasis for years and years unlike just about everyone else in the manga.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

I guess he thought he was going to milk this poo poo forever, and then one day he looks up and he's 20 years older

He pulled the manga version of a Robert Jordan

Ironically enough I do enjoy the Wheel of Time. Sanderson did a great job mimicking early Jordan to finish it out, but that's an apt comparison.

Credit to Morikawa it appears he might finish it himself instead of dying and requiring someone else to even if the ending is worse for it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That sounds like a bad gig, are you sure you aren't punch drunk from this manga?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Has more of this actually been translated/released because I feel like I haven't seen it for months. Did the folks who do that get as fed up as the rest of us? It's still an illness I don't want to quit yet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo and Kumi need to have some relationship advancement now that he isn't being beaten into a deep sleep as their excuse to be around each other. THEY GOT THE FEELS FOR EACH OTHER. Let them not be horrific awkward messes around each other moving forward. The heart shaped rock in the road they tripped over is, maybe funny, probably ironic, either way what a simple man you are ippo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I am disappointed that he didn't get to show off a complete version of the dempsey thanks to being a dumb tank his entire career.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Does seem sorta likely given that he got face time and some uncanny insight into how dangerous Ippo actually would be in a fight.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

They don't care about his brain trauma, mostly because next to no one knows about it. His mom, girl, and coaches know, but it's not like his press release on his retirement explained why. He basically just said "I'm done now, thanks for everything".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Kumi and Ippo need to do a thing, anything besides staring at each other wistfully.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo is out changing lives in 1237.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It's all so dudes can be extra heart broken they didn't get their chance when they see him spar as a second. So we can have more frames of the guys longingly staring at his muscles. Just wait until Miata hears that noise, he's going to get that grim I just came in my pants look.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo layered techniques and advanced them for a while, then at some point it sorta became about his fixation with the dempsey and he sorta stopped developing. I feel like this arc (even with the precipitation of him retiring) is to remind Ippo he's gotta not be so singularly focused and be a well balanced fighter. Then he'll make a stunning return. Which would of course will undercut all of the value in having his career cut short, but we didn't read 1000+ chapters to see him not even get his chance with Miyata. I don't want him to return to the ring, but it feels like he's gonna do it anyway.

They also wasted too much of his career on title defenses. So many chapters wasted on stupid worthless fights.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo gonna drop him in 1 punch. Just wait.

No surprise Taihei is a real POS

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 13, 2018

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

they're all jealous of Ippo's enormous hog and constantly seek to drag him down because of it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

my parents boyfriend posted:

Remember when Kentaro Miura, the author of Berserk, drew a picture of Takamura for Ippo's 1000th chapter? Apparently he was an assistant for Morikawa when he was in college. Now I really want to see him draw that slap scene.

If it was a thing that would happen, you'd have to wait approximately 20 years for it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

OMG this is going to be delicious (like his ramen apparently) and amazing if it turns out that way.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It's totally Aoki and he's about to get destroyed by Takamura.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah they're gonna throw him in the ring one more time, but I sincerely hope they would not. The drat line in the ground has been around long enough that either he crosses it or its the thing he keeps visiting until it fades away like his interest in the ring.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That was one of the best fights in ages. It didn't drag on the action was top notch and it was great to see mashiba show what he's evolved into.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I think, I THINK that Ippo is probably going to box again now that he's figured out what boxing actually is after so many years. If only he'd been tasked with developing himself or others sooner.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo is def coming back after this though isn't he. Sendo was the true rival all along.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo is going to discover he still has the shonen desire to ~*chase his dreams*~

Also how in the gently caress has that line takamura dragged out in the grass not grown in by now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I am very okay with this mahjong side story.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ :hfive:

Yeah, but wasn't she just internally monologuing about how Ippo seems "fine" now, but that there was something missing from the way he was before? Assuming I'm not making that up it wouldn't surprise me if he continues to resist going active again and it's her support/blessing that pushes him over the edge.

This feels like a very plausible take. Or it might take both of them, perhaps his mom will have another heart to heart with Kumi that convinces her she has to let him do his thing to be happy and she can support him or some such. It'll be cheesy whatever it is when he goes back to the ring.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Rabite posted:

Please quit listening to wrestle podcasts and enjoy the comic for what it is.

The idea that pro wrestling could at all inform the narrative beats of this fake boxing manga is not crazy.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

tbp posted:

i dont watch wrestling so idk if its really the same thing but didnt we just have an arc where two masked wrestlers played a pretty big role

Yes we did. Luchador is just a style of pro wrestling from Mexico with mythology and such around the masks.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Oh yeah the hints they've been layering for Ippo is def a return to the ring premonition. His time off will have magically recovered his brain I'm sure.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

EXCITEMENT AND DRAMA

man ippo really has it all

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Takamura wouldn't spend money on fixing his eye. Dude has won plenty of cash that he apparently uses to live like a bum in a dirt apartment. He only spends money on Statues of Himself because you know HE'S THE BEST.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

At least Ippo's dreamin of his girl, better than when he'd be dreamin about the dog or the ring or whatever.

Takamura's hog may have actually gotten bigger thanks to his third weight class conquering.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Remember when ippo spent all his championship money on logs and pounded them into the side of the riverbank

Madness for a guy whose family relies on a fishing boat for their primary income.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

There is only one surface known to man that can absorb these kinds of hits and umm im quite sure it isn't your face.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

They're bloody, brains are next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Lol it will totally be Miyata