Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Honest Thief posted:

So? It's just a very early state of the author's drawing, it just goes to shows how he evolved, it's no wonder the anime didn't kept this early look for Ippo.

Mashiba looked totally different when he first appeared, as time went on his features became more and more 'evil' looking.
One thing about the overall art style, he has always drawn ears like a 1st grader :downs:

And about 844, who else thinks Miyata wins the fight but ends his boxing career? Glass ribs?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Forest Fuckery posted:

894 would have been pretty good if it had come something like 4 chapters earlier.

At least Ippo blocked that FINAL DESPERATE HOOK

That was some Bloody Cross poo poo right there, the fight ended with such a whimper Morikawa just said gently caress it and ripped himself off.

Infinitum posted:

I've gone back and started reading it all over again from the beginning. I'm up to Ippo Vs Sendo for the title match.

I did that once a while ago and was basically amazed at how good it used to be. You can see his drawing style develop and by the time he gets to Ippo VS Date he's basically a master of conveying movement and storytelling through pictures. It was after Sendo2 that we hit the endless stream of gimmick fights for our, what, 10 time defending champion now? what the gently caress

tbp posted:

Ippo will probably challenge the world after this fight so I'm actually rather excited.

:smuggo:

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Did Mori change up how he draws Itagaki's face? It seems to have changed but I can't quite put my finger on it.

He's drawing a bunch of stuff differently now. Since he stopped giving everyone Rob Liefeld proportions they've all developed giraffe necks instead.

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That elbow thing grosses me out too, their limbs look anorexic now. Bony as poo poo :yohoho:

Echoing love for the Karazawa fight. Remember how Ippo pushed him into the corner by sheer force of will? He used to be pretty good at this whole 'boxing' thing what with strategies and techniques and what not. I guess Karazawa's gimmick of doing lots of ab crunches just wasn't enough to faze Ippo, should have jumped around more or something.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guess we're all burned out still from the stretch of crappy fights in the manga (until recently), but the anime did a great job with the Sawamura fight. If only all the fights were paced so well.

Episode 1: Ippo rocks cuz he is the Champion
Episode 2: ohshit someone countered Ippo's painfully obvious tactics and techniques
Episode 3: Ippo gets his poo poo pushed in, will we have a new Champion tonight folks?
Episode 4: Cue theme music and come-from-behind KO, start training for next title defense :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Must not have been that big a deal because I don't even remember it. Was there a detached retina scare or something?

As far as the manga goes, I remember these next fights from Aoki and Kimura weren't all that hot, nor their eventual rematches. In fact besides Kimura VS Mashiba and Aoki's title attempt I can't remember any of their fights being worth watching/reading. Still pumped for Eagle, it wasn't as good as Hawk (but then what is) but still a high point in the manga as we descend into the truly crap phase of Ippo's until-recently-endless title defenses.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just caught up on the manga/thread from the end of the Alfredo fight, Ippo sucks Takamura still pretty cool etc...

I still give this manga a little bit of a pass for nostalgia, and for panels like this:

I like how he's instantly covered in sweat like he's in the middle of a match :xd:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ippo's never been anything but behind in the romance dept. His thing with Kumi started as a literal schoolyard crush (he was still in HS when he met her right?) and has never progressed beyond that. This is like an American sitcom, it has a beginning but no middle or ending planned.

e: crossposting from the gif thread

e2: vvvv First Run represent :smuggo:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 12, 2016

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is it just me or do the later anime of Ippo, feel not as great as the first anime run it had

The first run of the anime was good because it had a clear narrative beginning, middle and end. Ippo's goal was to become the champ of Japan, and at the end of things he did in the climactic Sendo rematch. But after the 'end' we got an endless stream of title defenses and, while some of them were pretty great, things clearly tended downhill.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some good Takamura action in 1235. This is basically The Simpsons of manga now but I'm still morbidly curious how long they're going to dance around Ippo un-retiring.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it just a Samurai SpiritTM thing with his treasured gloves getting wet? Aren't they pretty routinely soaked in sweat and can be taken apart and cleaned? He's cradling them like he just discovered he forgot his toddler in a hot car. That one dude punching his girlfriend in the face didn't seem to do anything, maybe this is what's supposed to push him over "that line" into Here There Be Monsters.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rare insightful Reddit comment:

quote:

He also very deliberately raises his arm, essentially warning Taihei that he's gonna do it.

So in less time than it took for Taihei to raise his arms from his waist to his face after being warned, Ippo swung his entire outstretched non-dominant arm all the way in front of him while wearing training weights. Jesus christ, even comparing that to my slow asf guard time, getting hit by something with that much weight and angular velocity would be akin to getting mauled by a bear. But given that Taihei is semi trained it must have hit even harder than that, and this is Ippo showing restraint. gently caress.

I forgot about the training weights, that slap must have felt like getting hit with a log.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Christ, even Morikawa is dunking on the poor kid :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just like one of my Japanese animes :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc6Gaqklz9Y

e: Also 1257 is out. Love to have two seconds with no idea what the other one is doing :downs:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 26, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Ippo's pro boxing career is actually pretty decent by most standards in terms of length. He has boxed for like... I wanna say 6-7 years?

According to the fight posters we've progressed from 198x to 199x over the course of the series. Surely someone is nerdy enough to have listed out all the timing between all his fights and built a chronologically accurate Ippo timeline.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Time is convoluted in glorious Nippon.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I found it. The world's greatest HnI fan. He's been reading the weeklys since the 80s and knows all the moves. Unfortunately the move he tries here is Aoki's Look AwayTM

https://i.imgur.com/d4z9jGe.gifv

e: Wow, I was automatically reading Goat as 'greatest of all time' but just now realized they were still just leaning in to the animal names thing with Takamura :downs:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 27, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

Chapter 1267

I don't think Goat has much more in his tank so I'm expecting this fight to end soon. Still a bit surprised at how jealous Takamura is.

They've been drilling it into the audience for a while now that Takamura seems desperate to keep the coach's attention instead of Ippo. At least ever since he drew that line in the dirt. It's getting kind of weird, but I also don't really see how they're going to use it narratively unless the somehow take Takamura out while Ippo returns to the ring. Maybe that detached retina plotline that never went anywhere was a decades long con and as soon as he goes up another weight class he'll get creamed and Ippo will have to train him back to health :kiddo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If this is really his in to challenge Ricardo then he's for sure getting crippled/killed to motivate Ippo going pro again. This sacrifice, it's too much :negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

I really am hoping that Martinez doesn't have any bullshit "Super Moves" that we haven't seen like... just let he guy at the top of the boxing world be an extremely good fundamental boxer. Don't have him be "I was hiding my power level the entire time." crap.

:actually:, waaaaaaaaaaay back in the Date match there was some talk about his true nature, and that he was actually a violent street brawler but people just never saw it because no challenger was ever strong enough to force him to use that style.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Isn't that literally Gonzales's gimmick?! I would at least accept a gimmick where Martinez secret style is Peekaboo boxing

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he was talking about Gonzales by mistake there.

I think Richardo was said to just really good.

Don't think so. I didn't feel like digging through all the manga but here's that part from the anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaGcAE8DbX0&t=785s

Ricardo's second lays it out at 14:55. I did think it was weird/lazy that Gonzalez seemed to have the exact same thing going on but chalked it up to weird Japanese racism.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ricardo's "true style" isn't a stance change or a secret second personality anything, it's just the character of his boxing when pushed is less about technical execution and more "tear some meat off."

Basically like Volg, but with less hand-wringing and emotional baggage. Or Gonzalez, with less macho rage.

I don't really remember how different Gonzalez got, maybe Ricardo's beastmode was more subtle.

e:
You bastards made me go watch the 90 minute supercut of the Hawk fight :argh:

We know, coach, we know.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 22, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're really laying it on thick with every NPC suddenly begging Ippo to fight again. Hopefully the 30th anniversary slapped Morikawa awake and he's finally setting things up to END THIS poo poo. Not that I don't still enjoy reading, if sometimes ironically, but some sort of conclusion within anyone's lifetime would be nice.

And yeah, also gonna bet that Ippo pours all his coaching spirit into Sendo who eats poo poo and has to retire, so Ippo takes the baton back and starts heading for za waurdu.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Sendo is going to lose an arm

I wish I trusted Morikawa to be this good with foreshadowing for the statue to be anything more than a 4-koma sight gag.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was not the fight he lost from blanking out to due to damage. That was the next one. Gonzales was the one who broke him.

TBF, the fight you GET brain damage in is probably going to be fuzzy as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The arm falling off and being easily reattached symbolizes Ippo's willingness to take damage in fights and continuously shrug it off as not being a big deal. The head coming off foreshadows the real permanent damage that waits in his future, being enabled by well-meaning but incompetent friends and coaching.

In actual manga chat, isn't Sendo like the 3rd character to 'go on ahead'? I feel like I've seen that particular phrase before from Takamura or Miyata.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always really liked that bit in the lead up to the Hawk fight because it was the first time I can remember seeing him struggle with anything. Think all his fights until then were relatively effortless cakewalks.

The flow of time is convoluted in Japan so it's not clear how long any of them have been doing this or at what rate people are aging, so I don't see any kind of exterior justification about why this weight cut is so much worse for Kimura than anything we've heard about before, unless like Takamura says he's just losing motivation (and matches :thurman: ) and this is all a prelude to retirement. I mean the fucker can't walk the day before the match, we're not expecting this fight to go well for him anyway right?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was the weight class thing Kamogawa? That sounds like something Takamura would come up with, but it's been so long I don't remember where the idea came from, or why he was all the way down in Jr Middle or whatever when the series starts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought his opponent was going to double reverse psych himself out thinking that it was all an act, but I guess not. Although what Ippo says at the end still sounds like they're going to try and employ some kind of fake-out based on the opponent's assumptions.

And I love that Japanese(?) trope of "says a bunch of stuff" *beat* "is what I'd like to say, but" *says the opposite*

e: And also yeah maximum :flaccid: in this one.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I still dont know who the homeless guy is

I assumed he's some kind of prodigy boxer who lost his way, but he got Takamura's True ChampionTM sense tingling and that's why he seems to like him. My thought was that he would either get rehabbed by Takamura and start boxing again, or start coaching Ippo for his comback because his style and talents just happen to perfectly compliment Ippo's.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I would go to a stage production of HnI...

Out of the ones where you can't see the name on their trunks, I can only identify Date and Mashiba. I assume the one behind Ippo's left side is Miyata, maybe behind him is Volg and Ippo's right is Sendo? If Kimura is opposite Aoki then who's the guy in front of him?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

legit surprised ippo hasn't gotten a live action film. Seems like a no brainer.

Seems like it would be really hard to do anything shounen live action (well, at least). Such a big part of the format is slowing down or straight up freezing time while people have giant internal monologues to explain what they're thinking and what's going on so the reader/viewer understands the stakes. Would be pretty awkward to do a close up of a person's face then freeze frame and throw a color filter over it while he explains what the other guy is trying to do and what he's about to do to try and counter it. Having it be a musical, and therefore inherently divorced from reality, would probably actually help.

But yeah that skull cap / hair curl is poo poo tier. Seeing hair just growing out of a person's forehead like that looks cancerous :gonk:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What did he have like 10 drat title defenses? At least a decade wasted right there :(

Leaked footage of the Ippo stage production:

https://i.imgur.com/Hsq3rH5.mp4

That was Gonzalez after jobbing the Dempsy Roll :v:

I had to go to a wiki to look up which Mexican name was which and apparently we're in the Dream Match in Mexico Arc which is the forty-fourth story arc in the series and the fourth in the Bold Retirement Saga :stare: Now I want to see a flowchart chronology of all the little story names.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ippo is going to accidentally unleash the beast and lay Sendo out with his secret not-getting-punched-in-the-head style boxing he's been practicing. They're going to dress him up like Sendo and hope the Mexicans don't notice. Ippo easily beats Gonzalez then Martinez, and learns what it truly means to be the strongest, but ironically all as Sendo :ironicat:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't know about a death in the ring but I don't think he's going to fight Martinez even if he wins here. Unless that isn't even really an option. Would there be anything left for him to do in his weight class besides fight Ricardo, or is an invitation from the reigning world champ pretty much where the buck stops? And wait did he give up his Japanese title or is this some kind of weird exhibition match that Ricardo could set up because he's #1?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alf's taking a page from the Ippo playbook here...

Except, you know, on purpose.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

That picture made his hand look extremely broken, not just a little broken. This fight could be it for Sendo.

Beating Alf and having a proper retirement unlike Ippo's halfhearted retirement would fit a bit.

Did it? Looked like just his pinkie finger. Obviously that still sucks but I wouldn't think it would be career ending. Anyway, anime broken bones don't mean poo poo. Remember that time Ippo hit a heavy bag so much his gloves were full of blood, and Kamogawa just made him go do roadwork instead and it was fine? Good Times.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

I mean he had one guy wholes gimmick just be clinches and that worked to the point he got the Japanese belt.

Wasn't one of Ippo's early fights against a clincher, and the only reason he didn't win is because he was already wrecking Ippo's poo poo so hard that he got greedy and started trying for a KO instead of waiting for the decision and got caught with a patented HnI 1HKO?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

canoshiz posted:

Boxing is the art of hitting without getting hit, and if we go by that logic, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best to ever do it. I don't know that there's a direct HnI analogue to Mayweather's style, but I'm guessing it'd be something like Itagaki's ability to never get hit combined with Miyata's supreme technical skill and ability to read his opponent. Floyd could absolutely knock people out if his gameplan called for it and had an extremely high KO rate in his early/mid career before he started breaking his hands constantly.
be like in the animes.

Actually I was getting slight Woli vibes from watching that fight with Corrales posted earlier. Obviously nothing so ridiculously extreme as bouncing around on the ropes, but his whole thing seemed to be to duck in, pop them once, then immediately fly away before they could hit him back. I don't and have never followed boxing, but going by the announcers Corrales was a pretty dangerous opponent at the time and Mayweather completely clowns him seemingly effortlessly (I know he was just making it look easy, but still).

Also from the announcers, Corrales was kind of a dick who was known to throw dirty punches/elbows, went to jail for a year for beating his girlfriend then died in a motorcycle crash. Getting heavy Sawamura vibes from that one.

e:
Also, holy poo poo, Youtube's auto subtitles :xd: I had to google around a bit to remember Sawamura's name, and as per usual I ended up falling down a rabbit hole of Youtube supercuts of fights from the anime. The one I found didn't have English subs, so for a laugh I tried the auto option, and goddamn:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 23, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BUT THE PRESSURE IS INCREDIBLE ITS OUT OF THIS WORLD I CAN HARDLY CATCH MY BREATH :bigdog: :livintrope:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Oh wow, I might legit buy that.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I actually purchased anime (especially with so much ending up on Netflix now anyway), but having all Ippo animations to skip through like a porno rewatching my favorite matchups would be pretty sweet. That goddamn season 1 theme music still gets to me :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

I have never seen dvd’s for this show and the dub isn’t great either (no surprise given the era), so that’s really cool they decided to do this.

Hopefully it sells well and they make more of the anime, but y’know skip a majority of the fights during Ippo’s OBPF era cause they really suck.

Actually just thinking, did anything really noteworthy or good happen until Volg won his championship match? Feels like the series really stalled around then for years and years.

Yeah that was definitely Ippo's Dark TimesTM. Miyata's last big fight was OK until the cop-out ending. Itagaki getting his poo poo wrecked in bullet time was pretty funny too. But Ippo himself had been boring for years before finally giving up the belt, and none of the other 3 gym mains have done anything of note in at least as long. The entire thread was pretty shocked at how good that random Volg fight was, it was like reading the manga from 10 years earlier.