Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

No you fool.

Remember the beginning of the manga? Ippo under the bridge being punched and lying down crying while someone was calling his mother a slut or whatever it was?

Being 'strong' is not lying down crying and taking that poo poo. Even if you'll get more beat up as a result. Ippo even says it pretty early on that he doesn't mind the pain after boxing and he isn't afraid of it, because it's only physical pain that passes after some time unlike the pain from being bullied did. In the ring he can do what he could never do before, which is not 'beat up a person', but rather to stand up for himself, take the pain and defeat it, and become successful all by himself.

Ippo wants to become strong not just in the sense of puncin powar. But also in the sense of standing up for himself and becoming a better person. Standing up for what he believes in. Doing what he wants in his life. Facing a man that could wreck a car by lightly tapping it, and not backing down, looking him in the eye and not looking away after half a second. Dating a girl (he just made a move after 900 chapters for christ sake this kid needs serious help with ladies)! Facing a loving truck like Sendo, not backing down from fear, and finding a solution and path to victory, all on your own. Etc.

In terms you can maybe understand: Being 'strong' means 'not being a pussy'.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

This is so far removed from my frame of reference that it sounds insane to me lol

Yeah i mean i dont want to insult you or anything mate but what you just wrote sound, like, mildly sociopathic? Like, yes people do in fact care about intangible and unimportant things and do take suboptimal decisions, that's a central part of, like, most fiction. It is how humans work. You post sounds like BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT I DO NOT SEE THE LOGIC IN HUMAN E-MO-TIOOOOONS

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Funny that he has a Metztli Mode that is so much worse.

Special Angry Modes are pretty much HnI's version of Super-Huge-Transformations in One Piece - last-ditch efforts that are completely worthless. Well, except when it's the main characters doing it, then they are progenitors of boxing spirit.

EDIT: So basically this fight is going to be: Machisimo totally and mercilessly kicks Ippo's rear end back to the rookie stage, then summons an ancient Aztec god in order to let Ippo win.

I couldnt have come up with anything more desperate writing if I tried.

EDIT2: drat it I am so loving disappointed by this. Ippo faces an opponent that he has no tactics or hopes for at all to be able to land a single hit, save for a miracle like, say, the opponent rushing into close combat face-first. What does the opponent do? Outclasses him for four rounds, then inexplicably rushes into close combat face-first.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 27, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Two new chapters up on mangastream.

In these two chapters, Gonzales stands up! The excitement! Can it be contained?!?

Oh and also This means my boxing is clearly effective at the world stage!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fabricated posted:

AnJ ending
loving SPOILER TAGS!!!!

GOD drat IT.

gently caress.

I just started reading you idiot. Sigh thats one manga down the drain. At least I managed to avoid reading the ending spoiler but I probably know what it is now anyway.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 15, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Seems like Sendo is basically a homage to Joe. Both have the nickname Rocky, hang around with kids, the same personality pretty much, and even the hairstyle isn't too far off.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In a way, Itagaki and Ippo just got their asses kicked by lacking the very thing the other is the expert at. Itagaki is godmode dodgemasters who goes down in a single hit, while Ippo 'Faceful-o-fists' 'Fist Magnet' '"Hes like a boxer from the Stone Age"' 'Boxing is about G.U.T.S' Makunouchi is well you all are acutely aware of his strengths and flaws. (It's that he gets hit a lot (because he can't dodge (hes very stronk though so he can take it (because he worked on a boat))))

Maybe they'll buckle down in the gym and start learning from each other?

EDIT: I swear to god if the coach comes with another loving solution like 'you need to become even stronger by training your knees/trapezoids to absorb more damage' or '...hit before getting hit, that's the key!' instead of tackling the underlying problem of him getting hit in the first place, I am done with this manga.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 18, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

There is absolutely zero chance that Kamogawa is going to teach Ippo how to box intelligently and if you legitimately believe that might ever happen then you might be more brain damaged than Ippo.
That would be Itagaki teaching Ippo to box intelligently though, not Kamogawa. So it would allow Ippo to grow without upending the established character of Kamogawa the murderous coach who gets his boxers killed by asking them to attack the opponents fists with their foreheads.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

New chapter.
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1072

He can still walk by himself after that beatdown, with just some bandages to the head. Total bullshit. Other than that this 'might' go in a direction that actually brings some character development. For any other manga i'd say 'will definitely go' though. Either way we're heading for depression town for the next 5-10 chapters or so.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Eustace posted:

The weirdly sycophantic crowd hive mind is something that's always bugged me about this manga.
Japanese are more polite I guess? Only way I can explain it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

New chapter up, in which Ippo decides he wants to win.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Look brosef i'm sorry if you don't enjoy the manga but please do not spoil it for everyone else. Thank you in advance for spoiler tagging this and future posts.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Raws for 1076 are up. http://powermanga.forumcommunity.net/?t=56766585 People here will probably like it. If you want to go on a boring adventure what happens is basically:

Ippo tries to help Umezawa with his manga but messes it up. Eventually Umezawa asks Ippo to draw a straight line. Turns out Ippo can not draw a straight line due to his damage to the body and brain...

Ippo says he wants to continue boxing but understands there will be consequences.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 25, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

IMPOSSIBRU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I like how someone finally loving addressed That Ippo's motivation of "being strong" is stupid. It was pretty obvious when he became the Japanese champion that he was strong. A better motivation for Ippo would be helpful.
"I want to win"? Ippo seems to need many sessions of therapy and soulsearching to be able to figure that out though.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ippo has also been doing a lot of self-criticizing. For example he keeps telling himself he's not at world level and can't do all these 'mind games' and 'predictions' that the champions have. If you don't even believe you do, then yeah you'll suck at it.

There's a lot of reasons Ippo lost - not only his boxing style but also his mindset.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

Picked up Ippo from where I left it a couple of months ago, at chapter 753. It's been pretty good to this point, honestly can't really complain, but is this gonna turn into poo poo at some point? This thread seems to be all about that.
Tremble in fear when the name "Woli" appears. That's the point where you might want to close your eyes for the next 50 chapters.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Yeah something like that, hence why I said he did bullshit that wouldn't fly in the ring. He literally bounces on the loving ropes.
He also defies the laws of physics by clinging to the corner post with his Spiderman feet and just chilling looking bored like it aint a thang.

There are also the situations where he dodges Ippos punches such that his body's trajectory during the dodge physically intersects the path of Ippo's fist. He is clearly dodging in a higher physical dimension.

The whole battle is just "Physics??? in a boxing manga??? gently caress that this is MAHVEL BABY"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I, too, am mad that there will be boxing matches in a manga about boxing. I wish there was more backwards lessons to learn and dick jokes instead of good boxing matches.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

It's not going to get any better is it?
It actually gets better. There is an amazingly awesome fight coming up, and then there is a bit of *gasp* story progression. In between that there is a bunch more of 'meh' stuff though.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

What in gods name made you START with the woli arc??
Start with the worst. Rip the bandaid off. After that it can only get better

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I read because of occasional dick jokes

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Demented racist what? Mind showing some examples of that.
How about Woli, the monkey man from the banana jungle, wearing a palm leaf skirt, jumping on the ropes like monkey jumps on branches.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Skipped Woli entirely because I heard how dumb it was. Glad I was correct
That wasn't even close to being the worst thing about that fight, even.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Huzzah! posted:

But how will I know if Takamura is making a dick pun?

A: If he is saying something with a very serious face and everyone else looked shocked/aghast/laughing, it's a dick pun.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shindragon posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Nope.

It's sad to say but Ippo's fights are very mudane and boring. Everyone else is just better. I mean I have yet to see ONE bad Takamura fight.
A VEGETA-ble.

A VEGETA-ble who can't even wear his BOX-ers without help.

What, are you expecting a PUNCH-line?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

This is the biggest issue with all of Ippos fights. Most of them rely on his opponent completely messing up or doing something stupid that gets him the win. That's why the fight with Sendo is satisfying, because it finally feels like he won on his own merits instead of his opponent just being stupid.

His fight with Gonzalez is one of the best examples of that kind've stupidity, where Gonzalezs style completely locks Ippo out, Ippo has no other options because he's only ever been trained to rush at people and take punches, so the only way he can conceivably win is if Gonzalez starts trading blows for no reason. Which he does. Luckily that fight ends with Ippo losing, but the only thing I'm taking away from new chapters is that he's not gonna recognise he needs more options than just rushing at his opponent and hoping he gets a lucky punch in, but rather that he's going to rely on "spirit" to keep himself up through all the punches,which is just stupid.

I mean the only way he ever wins against Ricardo Martinez with that style is if Ricardo does something stupid like Gonzalez did, which if the writer does is a really big copout because we've seen him just destroy boxers like Date who had tons of options to use against him, unlike Ippo, and he just destroyed him.
Yesss that fight was so stupid. Oh no Gonzales is switching from his dominant winning strategy to Metztli Mode, in which he stops using Strategy and starts doing dumb things and taking dumb risks to seemingly no advantage.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kal-L posted:

"Going back to basics" could mean that Ippo is re-learning the basics of defense, which he obviously sucks at: feet movement, swaying, dodging, blocking. Like 85% of the punches he eats could've been avoided with a side-step or swaying to the sides, but NOOO!, he has to keep moving forward.
Who are you kidding, it's going to be re-learning how to throw a jab and an uppercut, and how to 'take a hit'.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

I liked the Gonzalez fight a lot aside from when Alfredo decided to stop boxing but at least it ended right.
Metztli mode is the strongest mode. (fist intensifies)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

And I've reached up to chapter 918, which is the last chapter on Batoto. I've found 927 onwards, but judging by the jacked up right hand, the defense vs. Kojima is probably going to be short enough that I'd mostly miss the fight which... well, I probably wouldn't be missing much, the way things are going, but still. For the sake of completion, you know? In any case, we've had Ippo vs. Woli and Itagaki vs Karasawa.

Ippo vs. Woli... oh boy, where do I even start. Ippo vs. Sisphar is bad, but it's short enough that it doesn't make a huge impression. Maybe it's just to show that Ippo is able to tangle with the OPBF champs effectively, taking Jimmy out in 4 rounds. The Gedo match is bad, but at least the badness is only *really* apparent in retrospect. So while I would say Jimmy's fight is where the real quality drop starts, it's only really Woli that makes it clear we're not getting off of Mr. Bones' Wild Ride any time soon. Probably the only good thing I can say about it is that Kamogawa gives Ippo clear advice for a change, instead of delivering it in the vaguest way possible.

Reaching this (sort of) endpoint prompted me to look back at some of the fights, and it made me realize a couple of things. Firstly, holy hell did the art decline. It's hard to notice when you're just pressing through, but it definitely looks markedly worse than it used to. The other is that the fights I've really enjoyed--Mashiba, Sanada, Shimabukuro, Sawamura, Take--the fighters did all have a gimmick--the flicker, the Hien, sheer oxygen capacity, counters, infighting positioning--all were very firmly based in the principles of boxing. You could see what made them what they were, understand the logic behind it, and it all impressed upon you just how deep and complex a sport boxing can be. But starting with Jimmy... the fights stopped being about boxing. Jimmy just brawled. Gedo was a single dumb trick. And Woli... Woli isn't even close to boxing. He just pinballs around the ring and punches Ippo a lot. And everyone oohs and aahs about how much of a genius he is. The strategy for beating him--get some body blows in and slow him down!--doesn't show up for multiple rounds, despite being boxing 101. No, Ippo and Kamogawa start by trying to corner Woli (despite being told "He is dangerous in the corner, guys" beforehand), then once that starts failing spend a round or two going OH NO WHAT DO. And despite the win being painted as a matter of actual boxing experience, the difference isn't that Woli makes some dumb rookie mistake, like going for something he really shouldn't, it's just that Woli does not understand what body blows do (then again apparently Ippo doesn't either). Furthermore, we're expected to believe that 11 lovetaps--there's practically a 'paf' sound effect--over the course of two rounds is enough to insidiously wear him down and stop his feet. Ippo doesn't come close to looking good in this match, and you can't be impressed by Woli either, because he isn't boxing god loving dammit. Is the problem that Jyoji just can't think up any more believable tactics for Ippo to face? Are we really just doomed to a bunch of awful fights until things finally end?

Itagaki vs. Karasawa has similar problems. I keep going back and forth regarding Itagaki... I disliked his last match, but his hyper-focus crazy eyes, plus his slowly building jealousy of Ippo have me liking him again. But the actual match really suffers from that fact that like Woli, Itagaki starts teleporting around the ring because EXTREME SPEED. A few chapters after the match, we get to hear him explain "nah, I'm not actually going that fast, I'm just really good with my feints when I'm focused like that"... so why couldn't we have seen that in the match? That's way more interesting! Show us the technique that goes into a feint like that! Don't just present a Naruto fight and then explain it after the fight's already left a bad taste in our mouths.

But really, the problem is that the manga just isn't about boxing anymore. I mean, broadly speaking it is, but it never tries to teach you anything. We don't even really get to see Ippo doing the kind of focused muscle training that he did before, like how he had to build up his toes and ankles super hard for Sawamura (at least, I think it was Sawamura, that was the Dempsey Stop, right?), or oxygen capacity for Shimabukuro, or anything like that. As much as I complained when I was writing about Ippo's title defenses, I'm realizing in retrospect that those matches were all pretty good. Sure, Ippo himself was boring, but it was fun! But now the boxing is gone and there is just nothing left anymore.

Yup. Woli is rock bottom for this series. No better way to put it than the way you did.

To cheer you up a bit, from here on out it gets better again (slowly). There's an amazing, i'd say top 5 serieswide, match coming up that involves actual boxing, the challenger is an american called Mike. After that without spoiling anything i'll just say that there is actual progress on Ippo's story arc.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I dont get it.

He used the power of his big toe to deliver a spinning punch?

Or was that why he was fighting badly? Something about his toe?

You know what? Whatever. Even Bleach is better at this point.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well, read it again a bit closer and with less care about imaginary boxing matches, and, contrary to the art with all those spin lines, he doesn't actually go Tazmanian Devil. He just uses his toe strength to rotate his upper body, like, 90 degrees, fast enough to gain enough strength to land a punch. As in a short quick pivot using his big toe. And that is an actual real thing, and yes if your big toe is worse you are a worse runner, go google "big toe training".

The problem with this chapter is the ART is poo poo and makes him look like a beyblade, the WRITING is poo poo in that that as usual he just kind of makes it up out of nowhere in the last minute of the match with no foreshadowing, and finally somehow that one punch was stronger than the opponents ten thousand punches. What he actually did though, is based on a real martial arts thing. (...if you ignore the fact that his legs were completely dead!!)

It is no more magic/bullshit than the Dempsey Roll or anything else in this series.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Also Ippo got the idea everyone had like 3-4 years ago to add this mysterious thing called an uppercut to the dempsy roll.
Hmm... w.. what was that... what was that just now...? That feeling...

I.. I think... I moved my body like this... and my fist... like thiswhoaWHOAMOMMAOHMYGOD!!! A... a punch came out!! In an upwards motion!!

/ Boxing genius at work

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Why is he even trying to improve the Dempsey Roll. It wouldn't work on the guy who beat him or Ricardo, so why bother improving that instead of improving the fundamentals. You know maybe work on fundamentals that don't require him taking a billion punches to the face, especially from outboxers like Gonzalez or Ricardo who already did that to him.
After losing to Metztli McGonzo due to lack of strategy and fundamentals, Ippo learned the valuable lesson that the reason he lost is because he didn't try hard enough.

I wish I was joking.

EDIT: Also the only reason he even had a chance to pull of the dempsey roll in that match and thus stand a shadow of a chance is because Gonzo decided to unleash METZTLI MODE in which he discards his tactic which has been working flawlessly in favour of diving head first into the tornado of fists that is Ippo. Because he used to be a street fighter, or whatever.

Again, I wish I was joking.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 10, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

http://www.alexforencich.com/blog/2010/11/17/hirose-river/

Not that bad a place! Can see why it shows up everywhere in manga.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah it is not really a dempsey as much as it is 'a series of punches from non-predictable angles'. Which, to be fair, is a big step forward for Ippo.

Speaking of progress, I mean, he used a low-high feint to score a knockdown! A feint!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

I think the point is that Ippo is so singularly transfixed on using the new Dempsey that he's ignoring the hundreds of opportunities to remove organs and vaporize his opponent, whose name I can't even be bothered to remember.

It's an actual, legit reason for Ippo to be playing off his game, instead of the whatever thousands of other nonsense reasons we get for Ippo taking massive damage just so he can activate his Samurai Spirit for a turnabout win.
This is my reading too, he's throwing a given win because of this. But come on, tripping and rolling around the ring like a jackass? Repeatedly? Really?

Also knowing this manga there won't be any actual learnings or developments from it, or at best an rear end-backwards one. "I'm strong like living steel, but don't know even the basics of boxing... I guess... it's my fault for not trusting my coach enough! He got me to this point after all! I just gotta trust harder"

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 27, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

And there it is, Ippo is punch drunk and broken.

Agreed that the buildup for this was long but with a manga that's 20+ years running, this big a twist deserves to take some time.

I think this fight is very well written, even if reading through it on a weekly basis feels like a slog. Ippo should be outclassing this guy, but he's focusing on showing off instead of winning, takes some fairly weak hits because of it, and has now completely lost it due to his legit brain damage. Reading through the fight again knowing the brain damage is real, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

The 'not fighting to win' angle makes so much sense in a competitive sport as well, it's a very good reason for Ippo throwing a fight like this. It's the only thing that would make him do something so ridiculously stupid as an advancing crossarm block when he's already taken two downs instead of just punching the other dude. If he's been training with this mindset for months of showing off, it also make a lot of sense that he's not listening to the advice of just playing safe and winning.

But sure, This Manga Is Just Bad!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 19, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Peel posted:

It makes sense and it is effectively communicating what it wants to, the problem is it fits poorly with the dramatic tone of the series. This isn't, or hasn't been, a story about tragedy, dissatisfaction and failure. Hence the speculation that something has changed the author's outlook.
Idunno, this plot point has been built up for a very long time, ever since Takamura's retina problems. And it's a direct result of ippo's boxing style which has also been built up over a long time. Whatever is happening now has been the plan for a long time. Agreed that the tone is changing, but only because it's now affecting the main character. Other characters have had their dreams crushed regularly.

What i'm saying is maybe this is not a change in the author's plans, but in fact where the series has been going since the start.

EDIT: Also tbh this is a more interesting story than ippo taking the world title without any bumps on the way.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

He doesn't need to "anime his way out of this", his opponent is literally on his last breath and unable to move his legs. He can win this easily just by not trying to dempsey, and that is likely what will happen. Either way it will be a massive loss for him because instead of a triumphant return this match is an embarrassment and a failure for him.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 25, 2017