Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
1247 is out.

http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1247#page=1

Thread was right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Crossing the line comes up over and over so either Ippo doesn't cross the line and he gets contrasted with Takamura who eventually has his retinas detached or he does and we have an AnJ scenario. It's basically, can Ippo ever respect himself and finally use his enormous hog without killing himself? Not sure what the answer will be. Too bad he never actually learned how to box, otherwise he wouldn't have to make that choice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He's always been my favorite of the rival-ish characters. Cool face.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

is ippo finally going to learn how to box?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That chapter was good. I like that he figured it out using stick figures (he picked up drawing from mr. manga bully, ie life experience outside of boxing). It's actually a reasonable arc for him to have had too much success early on, but jeez this all should have happened hundreds of chapters ago. Whatever I'll take it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it should lead to miyata watching ippo actually box and having one of those naked foodgasms.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tbf I tuned the whole manga out back then.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

looking forward to drooling vegetable sendo being taken care of by his teacher.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sendo lost to a guy who can't box, twice

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mashiba, math whiz and secret friend to cats. As if I couldn't like him more.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That Works posted:

I think Mashiba and maybe Kimura are probably the only actual intelligent people in the manga right?
I'm sure Woli is also a rocket scientist super genius poker champion

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

a kimura plot?? how long has it been??

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That picture made his hand look extremely broken, not just a little broken. This fight could be it for Sendo.

Beating Alf and having a proper retirement unlike Ippo's halfhearted retirement would fit a bit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

he's too good at boxing to look cool. It's tragic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah that was definitely Ippo's Dark TimesTM. Miyata's last big fight was OK until the cop-out ending. Itagaki getting his poo poo wrecked in bullet time was pretty funny too. But Ippo himself had been boring for years before finally giving up the belt, and none of the other 3 gym mains have done anything of note in at least as long. The entire thread was pretty shocked at how good that random Volg fight was, it was like reading the manga from 10 years earlier.
I think the Aoki's brother reveal was a more recent turning point. The thread actually changed that day.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm shocked, I honestly have no idea where this is going.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eight-Six posted:

If you think about said character in certain terms, it makes perfect sense.

If you know your Ashita no Joe lore, Carlos Riviera gets the brains beaten out of him by Jose Mendoza, which helps spur Joe into challenging the world stage. (leaving aside the whole issue of who got blamed for carlos' situation)

So what Hajime no Ippo needs is a similarly foreign-but-known sacrifice to the endboss.

What's gonna happen is Wally's gonna get concussed stupid and that's how Ippo goes super sayajin returns to the ring as a 'monster.'

uhh I guess if I also wanted to speculate on Hoshi dying that would really lessen my great stolen idea so I'm gonna say that's not gonna happen, because I like feeling right

After 1200 chapters I don't think this manga has taken a single major plot point from AnJ. Sendo looks like Joe obviously but that's really it.

I baselessly speculate that Wally will lose but Ricardo will take a beating and have to retire. This can't just be another "Ricardo strong" match. But Wally as end boss is too terrible for me to imagine, I reruse.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tbp posted:

Outright plot points no, the stories are significantly too different but we're literally in an arc where the three primary characters are explicitly based off of anj characters, there's very clearly a major influence
I don't think Woli has a whole lot in common with Carlos, if that's the third you're mentioning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I literally have no recollection of that character, mb...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was thinking we'd gone too long without seeing dick.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The way morikawa's written this it's really believable that ippo will be a way better boxer than when he retired. The power up has been sold pretty well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I could see Takamura being Ippo's coach, and the final fight of the series being Ippo "punching leaves" as it goes full circle and I boo George from the other side of the planet
You mean his last fight will be against a canadian?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Maybe she'll feel differently now that Ippo has learned how to box.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really agree. I'm sure everyone has some complaints for how the Ippo x Kumi romance went for about 800 chapters but they're dating for real now so that's behind us. Kumi has realized, just like everyone else, that Ippo is inevitably going to box again. She really doesn't want that to happen and there's nothing she can do about it so she's just kind of dreading the day hoping it doesn't come. If I'm forgetting something specifically passive aggressive, forgive me. Ippo doesn't realize yet that he's going to box again yet and Kumi doesn't want to help him to see the obvious, which I can sympathize with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You don't have to apologize for wanting to see Woli get destroyed. The alternative is too terrible to imaginw.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

Woli winning would be an amazing turn. It would feel really wrong and then like 300 chapters later we'd be talking about how good of a decision it was.
800 chapters later we are still talking about how much woli sucks...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think if ippo fought miyata now he would actually kill him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Namnesor posted:

I can't believe how good this manga has been for awhile now.
I remember the exact issue. 1247 when we find out who taihei's older brother is. From then on it's been great.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not sure what themes those are. The theme that Ricardo is strong? I assume that this fight will motivate Ippo to get back into the ring somehow, but that can happen any number of ways. I personally don't want a Wally final boss because it makes me want to throw up but everything fits as long as ippo fights again. Woli could loving die, Woli could come close, Woli could win causing Ippo to drop the baton and decide to fight entirely for himself, there isnt that much invested in Ippo and Ricardo's relationship and arguably the Date baggage is bad for him.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 29, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So say Woli beats Ricardo, Sendo beats Woli, Ippo fights Sendo? Would that be so bad?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The reason I wouldn't be surprised if Ricardo is absent at endgame is because he is exactly like the AnJ guy, and I don't find him particularly developed outside of the mythology that he represents to the other characters in the story. I know Ippo has used AnJ for inspiration for other characters but Ricardo has done so little to differentiate himself over 1400 chapters compared to the others. But this also could be the fight where he's really developed (and that's the more likely outcome).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 30, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

trucutru posted:

The theme of the manga is that you become stronger one step at a time. Wally was born strong so he will never be able to beat Ricardo.
Takamura was born the strongest character in the ippo universe... I don't think that's a special law in thisnmanga.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 1, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WWW .

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Woli is the perfect synthesis of Takamura (talent), Ippo (love of boxing), and Aoki (stupid gimmicks). This is why he will win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't see how an old fuddy-duddy like Ricardo can keep up with this. I think Woli has this in the bag.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The missing six pages would have been an absolute banger I assure you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

- Best talents
- Best strategy
- Best trainer
- MOST love of boxing

could there possibly be a more fitting world champion?

(though a double retirement leaving Sendou as the unhappy champ would be really funny)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sendo's trainer has already accepted it. sendo's gonna have to set a new goal after woli wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Patware posted:

imagine relying on the something awful thread to get to the chapter

anyway this might be the nadir of hajime no ippo. it can only possibly go back up from here
I think this fight and storyline in general is in the top third of HnI. Everything has been set up the only issue with the arc at all is Woli's stupid gimmicks (which I get is a big problem for some people). Ippo getting humiliated by Woli when he was a random from nowhere was way worse, this manga was seriously not that fun for very long stretches.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2022