Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tazman posted:

That may be so, but think about how bad Miyata was wailing on him at the start, and that he should have won like 2 rounds ago. Randy boy shouldn't be fighting this good.

But Randy is similar to Ippo in that he can in-fight and take damage. Miyata is also not known for the power behind his punches. So it's not that unbelievable for Randy Boy to continue after taking all those little punches from Miyata. On the other hand, we've been told explicitly that Miyata has a glass jaw, so he shouldn't have enough power to put Randy Boy down at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't understand Itagaki as a character. He seems to be like Miyata, only better in every way and with "superpowers." Since it doesn't seem like he'll be leaving Ippo's gym anytime soon it just seems like a waste of time to focus on him so much.

I also hope this current match with Mashiba against this other guy doesn't last too long, since I don't care much about Mashiba either since he probably won't ever fight Ippo again and he's a one trick pony.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Positronbob posted:

I'm not too bothered- it's been far too long since Ippo had a fight, and I'm curious to see whether they're going to bother making him "rusty" at all or just have the usual "IPPO HAS NEVER SEEN THIS TRICK BEFORE!?!? HOW WILL HE WIN!?"

I really hope they stop that, especially since Ippo is basically a superveteran now given the huge number of matches he's been in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha, the public service environment in the latest chapter of Ippo actually made me laugh outloud.

Also, looks like Ippo's next opponent is going to be Mogli.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

On the plus side, catching up with Ippo made me pine for the better days, so I reread Ippo vs. Sendo. God what a fight.

I will say that I liked the latest Mashiba fight. If the story were to get sidetracked again I don't think I'd mind as much if it focused on Mashiba rather than Miyata.

Sendo is really a great character. He doesn't have any bullshit gimmicks and is just an all around cool dude.

If Ippo doesn't semi-easily win this match, I'm going to be upset. I know they've built him up with this Vorg stuff, but Ippo really shouldn't be struggling this much with his crazy ~30(or whatever) to 1 win/loss ratio.

If this guy does a walljump it's just gonna be like rubbing salt in the wound.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ippo always struggles and gets beaten to a pulp. That's just his thing, even though the series acknowledges that this would normally cut short his career and that he should really stop doing it.

There were a couple times he didn't. Fighting Date's disciple guy and the Thai (I think) guy he fought after losing to Date come to mind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tazman posted:

Wow this fight is starting out really well. High hopes here!

I suppose, though it also seems pretty predictable to me. IIRC the past few fights have also consisted of Ippo doing well and showing he's "champion material," followed by his opponent releasing his gimmick in full force.

What I'm hoping is that Ippo will also destroy his gimmick, though I'm not counting on it given Vorg's reaction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only thing that comes to mind about this battle is that Mogli (or whatever) shouldn't be able to take a punch very well, since he has very little experience actually fighting and taking hits, particularly from someone with a punch like Ippo. It's going to be really unbelievable and strange of he manages to keep fighting through force of will after taking a big one from Ippo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bhsman posted:

I could see Ippo winning this easily but having Woli come back later for a revenge match

I would be happy with this outcome. I like that Ippo has been shown as totally on top of poo poo during this fight so far, though we haven't been shown Woli's inevitable comeback. I hope that it doesn't give Ippo too much trouble though, or else all this "check out how mature and experienced Ippo is" from the last chapter would seem out of place.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even if he can dodge Ippo, I can't imagine him being able to punch him hard enough to knock him out unless he propels himself from the ring cables oh god please don't let this happen it will be so dumb if it does :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This latest gimmick is really, really awful. Every bit as bad as the Gedo gimmick.

What I don't get is that after telling Ippo what's up, or him realizing it, shouldn't it be really, really easy to deal with this? Just have Ippo aim for where he knows Woli will be (ie not the corner, but rather on the rope). I hope this is what happens, but it'll probably end up being really disappointing somehow.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only way I can see Ippo maybe winning is if he takes some defensive approach where he just holes up in the corner. We've seen nothing to indicate that Woli has a particularly strong punch or can deal body blows, so he couldn't really do anything if Ippo just sat in the corner with his turtle guard. He could theoretically just wait until Woli gets frustrated and opens himself up to something. I don't think Woli understands boxing enough to get a point win if Ippo does something like this.

I know it's dumb, but I also know that Ippo will win this and can't come up with any other way since they've already made it clear that he flat out can't match his speed and hit him.

Also, Woli "monkey running" with his gloves on the ground is the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen in this manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tazman posted:

How about a dempsey roll that users Downers (the opposite of uppercuts DUH). Ippo could have a reputation of dealing brain damage to every opponent.

I want there to be some arc where Ippo kills his opponent and spends months trying to deal with his guilt over the incident.

What really confuses me about this fight is that neither Mori nor any of his editor(s) said "you know, this fight is kinda gay." I mean, I can't imagine anyone giving the thumbs up on how this is progressing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure how they can make Ippo win this fight without him just getting in a fluke hit ending the match. They've been basically hammering home the idea that Woli is just flat out faster and he can't hit him.

I would love it if they just disqualified Woli for grabbing the ropes, haha.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chapter 876: http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/876/

God dammit. How did they manage to forget that Sendo's coach told them that you can't catch Woli in the corner. This is the worst fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

An Outland Dish posted:

Four page spread :colbert:

18 page spread where it starts off just showing Woli's face on the left page and slowly shows Ippo's glove appearing and moving towards it from the right page, concluding with it graphically showing Woli's face get distorted by the glove and his retainer getting knocked out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

*punches Woli*
Just one punch? Is that all you've got?
You're already dead.
:psyboom:

Ippo reveals that during this fight he's actually been hitting Woli multiple times so fast that he couldn't even see it. In a delayed reaction, Woli spews blood out of his mouth and falls down, never to stand up again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Whoa whoa can't wait for the rematch between Sendou and Ippo. Gonna be tight.

I think Sendo deserves success on the "world stage" more than Ippo does, to be honest. Ippo loves boxing, but he doesn't seem to have the ambition necessary and obsesses too much about stupid poo poo like fighting Miyata.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

This stream of consciousness posting will be pretty hilarious as you approach the later parts of the manga.

Yeah, don't worry about spamming the thread goodvisiontoucan. It's fun for us to read your comments as you progress through the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Ippo wins the Woli fight by pulling out his dick in the middle of it

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Woli stares in awe at the amazing size of the Nipponese dick.

Really disappointed that apparently there's gonna be yet another chapter of Ippo getting the poo poo beaten out of him. This is even worse than the Gedo fight :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

goodvisiontoucan posted:

I like the Randy Boy Jr fight, still can't get over what a loving dumb name that is though.

Really? I liked the beginning, but thought the end was awful. End of Randy Boy fight spoilers They gave Miyata Ippo's level of endurance and had him pull out some supersonic punch out of nowhere. It didn't make any sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What confuses me is why he hasn't at least had Ippo challenging random people (hell, the same people even, who cares) on the "World Stage" instead of defending his title. Morikawa could still extend the thing for eternity if he wanted, and it would at least show *some* forward progress. I'm going to be really astounded if he doesn't start moving up after this fight.

edit: Anyone remember when Date "passes the glove" to Ippo and Ippo is all "gently caress yeah let's do this!"? How many years has it been in Ippo-time?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

Mostly, Miyata's win annoys because RBJ was FAR more interesting than Woli, and I don't want to see him get written out of the series. RBJ had a believable style that looked intimidating, without being too gimmicky. I mean, he kinda looked like... Surprise! A very strong, World Class boxer.

I agree. Even though I hated the Randy Boy Jr. fight, I thought he was a fairly compelling character/boxer. Being ambidextrous is a fairly realistic "gimmick" to have. RBJ vs. Ippo would actually be an interesting fight to see.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

879 spoilers:

Miguel tells Woli to stop dodging and have a punching match with Ippo

:rolleyes:

Wait, what? So he basically tells him to stop using a winning strategy and take a huge unnecessary risk? That's lame. Even if/when Ippo wins, it'll only be because Woli's coach gave him dumb instructions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I didn't think this fight could possibly get any worse, yet here we are.

The only way this might be spun in a positive manner is if, as we're sorta expecting, this punching match idea results in an Ippo win, but Ippo is fully aware that he would have lost had Woli not taken that strategy and it serves as a "wake up call" of sorts letting Ippo know that poo poo needs to change.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

This poo poo also wouldn't be happening if Kamogawa had allowed Itagaki and Ippo to spar so Ippo could get used to god-moding.

Was there ever any explanation for why Kamogawa didn't let Ippo spar with Itagaki?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It was implied that Ippo would lose, what with the time stop bullshit.

Whoa. I honestly can't think of any way for them to get past characters being flat out faster than Ippo and able to dodge everything he does.

One idea might be for Ippo to develop some sort of counter himself, since the only time he'd be able to hit someone who dodges every punch he throws would be to attack at the same time as his opponent is attacking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

Unfortunately, Itagaki's speed powers are so ridiculous that even fast guys cant keep up with him. He can dodge anything because it's all in slow-mo. It's not even in the realm of boxing, it's superhuman, beyond anything else we've seen in this series so far. Once Itagaki starts fighting people on the same level as Ippo's opponents, the author is going to have to find a way to nullify or kill off that advantage he has, or be forced to let him steamroll people like Volg and Sendo.

Wasn't there some spar between Itagaki and Randy Boy Jr. where RBJ was winning? If not Itagaki who was that spar with?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MizuZero posted:

yeah but if that guy doesn't read past 720 he can always imagine the perfect Miyata fight and a proper end to the series before "IT WON'T HAPPEN" and everyone except Itagaki going all super saiyan

Wait, everyone except Itagaki? Itagaki is the only who flat out has supernatural powers, so if anyone has been given a weird unnatural powerup it's him.

ilifin posted:

I think we'll see Ippo attempt to do a double-cancel Dempsey where he rolls left, cancels to center, :smug: starts dodging, cancels into EX SHORYUUk who the gently caress am I kidding

A stupid thing I could actually see happening is Ippo somehow stopping his Dempsey roll so abruptly that it creates a shock-wave that knocks the opponent down. :(

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 22, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Swamp Zero posted:

you guys are making a big deal out of this. Woli can't punch for poo poo.

Ippo has taken more punches than a metaphor for something that takes a lot of punches, yet he's still not only conscious, but making high-level plans in his mind.

Compare that to some other matches where not only he couldn't think, he was pretty much a punching zombie that barely responded to shouts and yells and just punched blind. He'll probably recover in a round , especially if he gets a punch through

Yeah, the punches seem to shock him more than anything else because of how fast they are, but after the fact he doesn't seem to be taking any meaningful damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

Ippo means First Step, I believe. Hajime no Ippo => The First Step at the Beginning? The Very First Step? :v:

Or maybe I am not remembering it proper, and Ippo is just step. And the title of the manga is basically "The First Step". I 'unno.

Ippo just means one step, so the name of the manga translates to "first (one) step."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've started on Slam Dunk, and while it hasn't really grabbed me it is decent thus far. Considering it actually has an ending I'm sure it will get better eventually.

I tried reading Slam Dunk and just couldn't get into it. I can't find basketball interesting no matter how hard I try :( Eyeshield 21 is pretty cool, though, largely because of the variety of unique characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Swamp Zero posted:

There's no reason to be pissed at this so much.

Woli might be a bit gimmicky, but in essence he's just very fast, very fit, very VERY confident, and has good spatial awareness. All the gimmicky poo poo was just icing with no real meaning. He's winning because he can consistently avoid punches, while landing his own through every single defense gap, without second guessing himself ever.

So yeah he's just that good, and Ippo is gonna lose because he's honestly pretty bad, and the world is as it should be.

You know, I honestly think this fight could be redeemed depending upon how they deal with the aftermath. Whether Ippo wins due to luck or loses, it's clear Woli is flat out better than him. They'll have to make some sort of change in the way he trains. Stuff like speed is hardly some innate talent (though it's possible a large portion of Japan might think it is), and there's no reason he couldn't become better at dodging punches or throwing his faster, or improving his footwork.

What will be irredeemable is if Morikawa tries to somehow have Ippo "legitimately" win due to his guts or something. I have a bad feeling about this, largely because it seems like a large portion of Japan believes in the sort of video game "strength at the cost of speed" false dichotomy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bisse posted:

On the other hand he has no physical toughness at all. When Ippo barely scratched his face at the start of the match he was so shocked he fell over. When his coach touched him with the chair it disturbed him a lot.

Oohhh, so that's what was up with the chair thing. I think you're right about that indicating that he's a total puss about getting hit with anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

I don't disagree with this, I think it can be saved though. Shift away from Ippo. He's completely boring and needs to re-conceptualized. He needs to grow up, badly.

A while ago, characters like Date had the spotlight. Even though it's the shonen genre, Date's arc was an interesting in-depth peak at an older boxer, struggling with defeat, his own identity, and maintaining a family. It was surprisingly mature for HnI, especially given that he ultimately lost. I wish I knew of other manga that pulled that off. Any recommendations?

Are you specifically looking for a shounen and/or sports manga? Because there are a lot of manga that deal very well with mature themes/characters, just kinda tough to find them in this particular genre.

Hunter X Hunter is pretty good at having compelling villains with interesting backstories, if you haven't read that. Worst art ever though, to the extent where the more poorly drawn chapters honestly have you wondering how they got past an editor. Even when it's good it's still pretty mediocre. Makes up for it though with plot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

musouka posted:

I've been considering translating Tarou, which I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's not a perfect series, and it's definitely not a perfect boxing series, but it's the best boxing series I can think of when it comes to juggling day to day life and the career of a pro boxer.

In it, our main character, who is younger than Ippo:

- Has what most of us would consider a normal job, and has to deal with lovely co-workers.
- Is shy, but manages to have sex with a girl. More than once.
- Has to deal with the lovely side of boxing. Feeling like crap the next morning after a fight, but having to wake up and go to work. Getting discouraged after losing important fights. Like, oh say, your debut match. Getting discouraged after realizing your own weaknesses.

In addition, his rival--who actually looks similar to Woli--has to deal with poo poo like racism in his part time job, and gets a huge chunk of the series not just related to his requisite tragic past, but also his day to day life and hopes for his future in addition to his own love story. (Which is interesting because he was also a borderline racist caricature in the very beginning, like almost all foreign boxers in boxing series.)

That's not to say it completely lacks ridiculous elements--from what I remember without pulling out my volumes, the world champ has a tattoo on his back that changes color when he's "serious"--only it's easier to overlook them because of the solid base and lack of "opponent of the week" style narrative in favor of a series that develops its core cast of characters so that you care about what they do and what happens to them, whether it's inside the ring or outside of it.

This sounds awesome. It's always kinda bothered me how Ippo's life outside of his matches is almost entirely ignored.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

apekillape posted:

Vinland. loving. Saga.

It's everything good about Berserk without all the godddamn fairies. Literally everything.

(Also Claymore, GantZ (I always say GantZ), maybe Freesia, definitely everything Urasawa, Hoshi no Samadare... there's a billion things out there yo.)

And Inio Asano stuff and stuff by whoever the dude is who does Ciguatera is even better than any of those, and that's saying a lot since I'm a huge Urasawa fan. Those series are good enough to be considered great by people who don't read any manga (though Urasawa also falls into this category, his manga also have a small degree of manipulative lost-ish mystery/revealing components to them that drop him just slightly below stuff like Punpun or Ciguatera).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

gently caress, that last panel still looks as painful as hell :psyduck:

How is Ippo so loving stupid? Why would he do something that has failed over and over again? God. Even if Ippo were some kind of natural physical genius, you still have to have some common sense to be a good boxer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flying High posted:

new raw is out...

Looks like Woli's ankle finally caught up to him, and Ippo tired Woli out one just ONE punch, looks like we will see the end of this fight soon enough...

Seems like a worst case scenario in terms of this being absolute bullshit. I was kinda hoping Ippo would actually lose, because he really deserves to. I hope that they at least treat the win (if he wins) as an "empty" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

I hate to say it, but Cracked has surpassed Mad Magazine in terms of quality. How?

Sadly, that doesn't really take much. Mad Magazine ceased being funny once I grew older than about 12 years old. The art is still pretty great, though.