Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm up to soon before the Volg fight, and early-ish Ippo is such a good sports manga. Miyata is also a pretty interesting and atypical "rival" character, as someone who struggles and does more poorly than the protagonist early on, despite being an "elite genius"-type character.

I think my only gripe is that Ippo really gets no clear solid wins to speak of, outside of his literal first fight. Even ones I barely remembered (like that guy at Date's gym) almost beat Ippo before he barely pulls off a win.

It's funny how consistently worthless Kamogawa is. In the Saeki fight he's like "OH NO, IPPO IS DOOMED, HE CAN'T POSSIBLY WIN" (after giving him the brilliant advice of "just punch him once!") and Ippo has to independently come up with a strategy. Which he does, and it's pretty clever. He knows Saeki will aim for his blind spot, and he pays attention to his rhythm to time it right. Maybe Kamogawa could have suggested it to him if he was a good coach/second!

And in the chapter I just read, Volg's coach owns Kamogawa by telling him "lots of these promising Japanese fighters are destroyed because they keep trying to push through with spirit alone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Interesting reading this chapter after just recently having read the original chapters of Miyata and Ippo's fights against Mashiba.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How has Itagaki been doing lately? According to the wiki he's just been getting a ton of technical wins. Can't remember where he is in the rankings, though.

Edit: It's also funny in hindsight how poor Geromichi gets shuffled off so Ippo can get a better looking junior later. Though at least he shows up again as Hammer Nao and gets to fight Ippo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Heh, in my most recent re-read attempt I noticed the opposite: I was surprised at how may fights he (at least in retrospect) won pretty handily. Date's #2 is one that I specifically noted as being a clean win since Ippo, despite taking some hits, pretty thoroughly wrecks his poo poo and gets the KO in round 1 of a 10 round fight.

Not sure how it would work out with his own fight prep, but Sendo is already left handed... Maybe if something about Mashiba would help him prep for Ricardo?

He wins quickly (partly because his early matches are 4-rounders), but almost always with significant damage and some sort of "losing scare."

I think Hayami and his very first fight are the only truly one-sided fights so far. Hayami one was good because it was also a surprise given all his build-up.

lt's also kind of comical how Ippo's fights usually end with his opponents being like "I have a new lease on life and am excited to keep boxing," and then they just quit either immediately or after one more fight. Ippo's first opponent is particularly funny. He develops a new passion for boxing after his loss and decides not to quit...only to immediately be like "actually I obviously don't have what it takes" and quits and becomes fat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other element to the earlier manga I like is how Umezawa quietly struggles with his guilt over bullying Ippo for a long time. A lesser series would have just brushed that aside.

Edit: IIRC doesn't he finally explicitly apologize at some point?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

yes, but ippo being ippo he basically downplays it entirely, instead just pointing out that they are friends. he also attempts to apologize to mama makunouchi and she does something similar, but sterner. his working at the fishing business is sorta his "first step" into a reformed man, after he's acknowledged his past. then his sorta actualization moment is when he shifts over to being a manga artist

Yeah, that's not surprising, but it doesn't bug me since Umezawa himself still recognizes what he did.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The series will end with the world's first 4-person boxing fight between Martinez, Ippo, Miyata, and Sendo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just started this anime last week and so far it’s really entertaining, informative about boxing in a way that keeps me interested, and genuinely inspiring at times.

Great stuff so far. I’m in the middle of Ippo’s rematch with Miyata.

I plan on finishing at least this original run of the anime.

It's great. My friend and I got super into weight-lifting after watching it in college lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

It'll be fun after Ippo beats the poo poo out of two world champions in higher weight classes than him in sparring and still doesn't think he has what it takes to return to boxing.

To be fair, the Ippo/Volg spar wasn't really Ippo owning Volg. Volg is surprised at first at Ippo not treating it like a touch spar, and then they get some hits in on each other once Volg starts taking it more seriously, and they're broken apart before Volg can attempt to do something about Ippo's Dempsey roll.

He was still definitely fighting on-par with Volg, though Ricardo is apparently some hyper-genius that is better than the world champions in most other weight classes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Ippo steps into the ring, Mashiba uses the elbow block again, Ippo permanently destroys his fist and can never box again

The End

He already did this to the point where his shattered bones were literally penetrating his skin, and fixed it by Mari-sensei telling him to put his hands in cold water + giving him a painkiller shot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

i think it's fun to watch the development from "just let Ippo stay retired" to "bring him BACK" after seeing how he'll actually he changing from the boring as sin matches he had pre-retirement.

He might get one or two cool matches after coming back, but then he'll revert to old habits, mark my words.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ippo recreating my childhood experience of hitting a rubber object (basketball for me) with a metal club (baseball bat for me) and having it bounce off and smack me in the face. Only in my case it gave me a giant black eye.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

She's lucky because just the basketball hit her. I had my friend toss me a basketball, which I tried to hit like a baseball. The ball ended up heading more straight towards my face, and I tried to hit it from that angle, causing the actual bat itself and bounce into my face.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

tried reading some of the chapters from the anime ended, and a lot of it sort of feels important at the time (like Itagaki, Broccoliman, Ippos title fights post-Sawamura), but like..most of it peters out into nothing. Sort of feels like not a whole lot would've been lost from Ippo himself if he'd gone straight to Wally->Gonzales. Maybe keep the Kojima fight?

Would need to include Miyata vs Randy Boy Jr as well.

But it feels like most of the stuff Takamura, Aoki and Kimura do in that period also amounts to pretty much nothing. Takamura doesn't even have a new title fight until after Ippo retires.

"Randy Boy Jr" lol I can never get over this, it's such a funny name

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He's doing it so he can "help" Majima just like he did Vorg.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

i sincerely think this is the best training arc ever written in manga lol

My sole gripe about it is the silliness with the training weights (that seem to exist solely to create a "wait, he hasn't removed them yet :smug:" scene).

That method doesn't work in real life! And even if it's supposed to work in the specific context of this manga, there'd be zero reason for all other serious boxers to not also use it. Wearing weights everywhere is probably one of the lowest-effort forms of training Ippo does.

Aside from that it's been great, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Me clicking "next page" and being confused

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

one narrative thread i have a bit of nerves coming around is if mori tries to reframe kamogawa as always having given ippo good advice, it just was that ippo didn't synthesize it well. this just isn't really the case, his communication to ippo was always pretty bad.

the whole "takamura intuiting how to beat dragon from a cryptic comment from kamogawa" makes me think he will be put in this light, tho

If I'm being really generous, Kamogawa can be credited with "teaching Ippo effective exercises for learning various skills" (I mean, most wouldn't be great in reality, but in the context of the manga they presumably are). And Ippo presumably benefits a lot from Kamogawa's drills where Ippo hits his gloves.

But the guy basically never actually has good advice for Ippo. He's only good for helping Ippo learn new skills (and even then, only sometimes). I can't think of any time that he's had insightful advice for Ippo during a match.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vizuyos posted:

yeah, I'm rereading this from the start right now and Kamogawa almost never provides any actual help

especially during the early matches. in every rookie kings fight, Kamogawa's just sitting there in the corner saying "I have no idea what to tell the brat, I can't see any way he could win this!", and then Ippo gets the key advice he needs from Takamura or Aoki or something. he basically learned his basic boxing skills from Takamura, the coach didn't do poo poo

by a couple hundred chapters in, the coach is at least pretending to be teaching Ippo how to box, but aside from the mitt-hitting it's mostly vague stuff like "you should work on training your legs next, I have the perfect exercise for that". and then someone else teaches him how to put that boosted leg strength to actual use. and he's still a completely worthless second

Takamura definitely provides the most actual advice.

There are some times where the coach technically has a semi-reasonable plan, but it's kept secret from the reader (and thus Ippo), presumably for the purposes of dramatic tension.

The best example of this is the Ippo/Vorg fight. Ippo is basically just getting owned constantly (it's almost Woli-tier in terms of how one-sided it is until the very end), and the coach gives zero advice other than "hang in there." In the end, it's revealed that Ippo wins because he has more stamina than Vorg (which is pretty plausible given Vorg's background), and his intense drilling allows him to continue to throw his punches effectively even while running on fumes, while Vorg starts to fall apart near the end. I guess you're supposed to interpret this as "the coach doing what is necessary to keep Ippo going long enough to wear down Vorg," but it just comes off like the coach stonewalling Ippo and telling him to just keep getting the poo poo beat out of him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I believe it's also true that moving your head closer can reduce the power of a punch, because the fist connects too early into the motion (before the arm is extended enough to maximize power)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bisse posted:

Spoken as someone with max half a year of martial arts experience:

This is mostly only true in anime fantasyland. There is a little bit of truth to it, but for the most part, in a strong punch like an uppercut, the punch is delivered softly with high velocity, and muscles fully engage and apply force on contact. All shortening the distance by moving toward the punch will do is guarantee a hit. For big swings like jabs or wide hooks, moving toward the punch has little effect on punch velocity, but does increase your own velocity toward the punch, likely resulting in higher impact force. You could approach and stop before the hit, but that would need to be a big movement, and then if you can read your opponent that far ahead you are much better off picking any of your multiple other much better, less riskier, and less stamina-consuming defensive options.

It can be a form of defense though, for example when sparring with mitts, you want to move your mits forward just before the fist hits to counteract the force and reduce stress on your arms. But that’s with mitts - mitts don’t get organ damage. When kicks are involved, it is theoretically possible to tense your abs and move towards a stomach kick, resulting in less impact spreading across the body, and helping you keep your feet on the ground. But done improperly in a match all this will do is, also, just guarantee a hit and increase the damage.

Basically a boxer who makes a habit of headbutting the fist is on the highway towards early retirement.

I actually separately learned this (since making that last post) while looking up how to correctly throw a jab, where it was emphasized not to move forward during the motion because it'll just make any incoming punches hit you harder (and that this is a bad habit many people have).

So it seems like the main reason it's dumb is that you're not "making the punch connect early" so much as "making the punch connect while you're moving towards it, effectively increasing its relative speed."

Edit: it sounds sorta like countering yourself lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

i enjoy that Ippo doesn't figure out a solution and doesn't instantly fight to the level of the champion Mashiba is facing. He's strong to be a world class level sparring partner, but not more than that

Yeah, it'd be kind of unbelievable if Ippo was just suddenly able to easily defeat Mashiba, who is one of the top world fighters in his (higher) weight class.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

But the best part is that Ippo actually figures out Mashiba is mad about Kumi and thinks "but we're both adults." Legitimately wasn't expecting that. I expected him to stay oblivious.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

yeah definitely. there's been little things ("too modern" taxis, laptops, etc.) but now it's a legit plot point. i kinda dig it.

Laptops were pretty common as early as like 2000 though. The laptop I brought to college in 2004 wasn't that dissimilar from modern laptops in general appearance. IIRC smartphones (in the style Itagaki is using here) weren't much of a thing in Japan until the early 10s, which is a *way* bigger jump.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao at Miyata immediately assuming it was the flame war

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bisse posted:

Man this is gonna be an epic dick joke.

Its always a dick joke.

His dick was so big they thought it was a gun in his pants

Ippo shows up and they realize the error of their judgement

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GateOfD posted:

lol, they really made him as unlikeable as they could this chapter, my god.

I actually disagree. I think they're setting him up for some sort of "redemption" by revealing that he's an rear end in a top hat because he wants everyone to feel as bad as he feels. It means that he could turn a new leaf if he manages to enjoy himself or otherwise feel satisfied by the match.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that might be the first outright friendly Ippo/Mashiba interaction? Like he gets "mad" about him meeting Kumi but then does the victory pose.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mashiba loses to Rosario, and then Martinez Consumes Rosario, gaining his abilities. Because of this, Ippo can avenge Mashiba by defeating Martinez (who now carries within him the essence and abilities of Rosario).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Probably not, if anyone is getting fridged in the ring to spur Ippo on it would be Sendo.

There's no rule saying they can't both die in the ring!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lamebot posted:

Mashiba will explode into a cloud of bloody mist after accidentally stubbing a toe on the ringside steps.

He will then reform into a man with the power to turn parts of his body into bloody mist. The ref rules this fair, since it is using his natural abilities.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

Final chapter is a time skip with retired Ippo heading off into the rising sun on the family boat with kumi shoreside holding his son waving him off, and a pan shot over articles about his epic fight with Martinez that we never got to see, and the article doesn't detail who won. Then a news bulletin on tv warns about a sudden impending storm

I lol'd at the last sentence of this post

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rosario is going to use the superior leg muscles of an Italian to instant dash close to Mashiba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Isn't he Puerto Rican or is that the joke

I didn't even remember what ethnicity he's supposed to be lol