Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Miyata should have been rushed to the hospital and have to stay away from boxing for like a year because it is garbage that he is throwing loving punches with shattered ribs after the fight like it's nothing. I get it, guts and burning passion, but holy poo poo this motherfucker need to get grounded SOMEHOW.

Hell, I expect him to start flying or punching through guys or something, because he's gone beyond normal shounen sports "overcoming impossible odds with willpower" silliness into the territory of "I can do anything with willpower" ridiculousness.

Wait, I get it now. Ippo and Miyata will take Japan to the world stage by having superhuman damage absorbing powers! Ribs poking into your lungs and repeated concussions and shattered hands and shredded muscles and detached retinas mean nothing when you have SAMURAI FIGHTING SPIRIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
There is no way it's going to end in round 4. This is going to make the Randy Boy Jr fight look snappy; it's going to have Woli zwee-fight behind Ippo with his mystical racist monkey-man powers for 20 more chapters before Ippo suddenly remembers how to hit things by his fractured skull and closeted love for Miyata and NIPPONESE SAMURAI SPIRITO

then Ippo will slip on a banana peel in the gym and not hold hands with Token Love Interest and prepare to fight a challenger with a mysterious forbidden boxing technique!!!!!!!!!! WILL DEVILISH DARK SKINNED FOREIGNER MAGIC BEAT IPPO'S PURE WILLPOWER? no

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
"It was dramatic when the hero was on the ropes and trying to figure out how to win, so it'll be even more dramatic if's he on the ropes far longer!" -Every Terrible Shounen Author

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm mostly interested in Aoki and Kimura's fights now. Their winning or losing isn't predetermined. Naturally, the story of two struggling, aging boxers who continue to follow their dreams even when no one expects anything from them any more is played for comic relief. SAMURAI SPIRIT PUNCHING BAG VS. RACIST CARICATURE is always played totally straight.

That's something I've been finding weird in the later chapters. Ippo gets more and more freakishly strong, wins more matches, becomes a champ, and it's still YOU'RE THE ULTIMATE UNDERDOG KID YOU'RE THE CHALLENGER EVEN IF YOU ARE DEFENDING YOUR BELT YET AGAIN while Aoki and Kimura are goofy hopeless losers because they lose frequently and don't win every match by knockout.

I mean, the chapters when they actually focused on them were good, but then those were ages ago and it's back to them being beaten up or barely winning off-panel again.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I sure hope Ippo can win the next title defense, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the next fourteen Japan title defenses. Then, he might be able to really take on the world!

Meanwhile, Aoki, Kimura, and Takamura will slip on a giant banana peel into the world's biggest pile of poo poo, and Itagaki learns how to box so fast he accidentally travels back in time and becomes the new Professor Zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Drop every character in the Kamogawa Gym except Takamura, and have him train Sendo. Have them take on the world, and then end the manga when they discover the ultimate boxing technique that lets you challenge light speed out-boxers like Miyata, Itagaki, Woli, and Martinez by punching in every possible space in the ring at once. Since this is shounen, having a Japanese World Featherweight Champion will cause world peace and lead to a new generation of super-boxers that are like ten times as powerful as their parents.

The protagonist of Hajime no Nibanme will be the son of Ippo, Miyata, and Ippo's monster junk, who will be upstaged by far more interesting characters at every turn.