Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GWBBQ posted:

Don't assume that, I'm getting around to tracking where in the chain the loose neutral is for my rear upstairs circuit (1950s house, we have 2 for the whole upstairs and a bunch of random stuff downstairs on one of those too) and I suspect I'm going to find it near where hot and neutral are reversed.

Oh absolutely, never assume anything with electrical. I just meant that if the original poster was gonna use a multimeter to figure out what's what, the ground-wireless box could still possibly be his ground depending on construction/locale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

crocodile posted:

i had some lady who wanted to keep all the unchipped "tubes" of porcelain we pulled out of her house. she made a bunch of weird, yuppie jewelry for her friends and to show off on her blog. *shrug* people are weird.

poo poo, I hope you cleaned all the electricity out of them first

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Wait, so code doesn't allow you to use a regular receptacle the same way as a GFCI? Is the second set of screws intended to only be used as a secondary line (separate circuit and/or switched)? Because I've opened a lot of boxes in my time as an amateur, and outlets are *always* wired with the second set of screws acting as load, feeding another receptacle down the line.

(To clarify - I'm not using my anecdotal evidence to suggest anyone's wrong, I'm just surprised at how common this possibly against code practice is in my area)

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 5, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Regular receptacles don't have a "load". If you want to further a branch from that box, you can use both screws or a wire nut. Both are fine, it's your choice. Of course if there are more wires that need to be joined together than screws in that box, a wire nut will need to be a part of that. However, you'd never see an electrician use both the screws and a nut. It's too... messy, plus it can make it more difficult to cram wires back in the box.

Regular outlets have 2 screws per side whose pads underneath are joined by a little metal tab. If you want to separate the function of either outlet in a duplex, then you will need to remove at least the hot tab. The neutral tab only gets removed when dealing with separate circuits. GFCI, AFCI and other specialty outlets don't have those tabs. That means that they can't be split like a regular duplex can.

I'm afraid I'm confused then. You're saying if I have a hot/neutral pair coming from the panel to my first outlet, I *can* then use the second set of screws to feed the next outlet in line, right? That's how I've always seen it done.

But that seems to be contraindicated by the bit of code being referenced a few posts up - Or am I misreading the code? By removing the first outlet, I would be breaking the continuity of the second outlet's grounded conductor (neutral).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Ohhhhhh, duh, that makes sense then. Thanks!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The second one is better, but if you have access to the attic anyways, you may find you can simply reinforce the existing box with some blocking, or simply throwing a couple more screws in the box or its flanges.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Here's an odd question -- how much weight can RMC support? I have some 1" conduit (about 1 3/8" outer diameter) left over from my workshop build, and I'd like to use a ~30"-long section of it as a pivot to support the top of a flip-top work cart. Flip-top carts have one power tool bolted to the top of the cart and another bolted on the underside of the top, so you can spin them around to change which tool is in use. I'd put my router table and thickness planer on there. The router table's not all that heavy, but the thickness planer probably weighs around 50 pounds. Whatever transfers the load from the cart top to the rest of the cart has to support all that weight at least while you're flipping the cart around.

I could probably find a 1"-thick dowel and run it through the middle of the RMC as reinforcement, I guess. This is obviously not an intended use case. But does anyone know how strong RMC actually is?

A buddy of mine uses a length of it as a pullup bar, so at least 150 (he's a skinny guy).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

In any event, aren't you free to address or not address whatever the heck you want as a result of your inspection? Like if the inspector says "No outlets in the house are grounded," you can either use that to adjust the offer, or walk away, or say "I don't care"

Some areas use a house sale as time to come in and do code compliance inspections before they will allow the sale to proceed. It is the worst goddamn thing. Fortunately on my house, all I had to do was replace an outlet in my garage with a GFCI before I could sell.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

My overweight inspector did not go in the attic. In his defense, the access was in a closet above a shelf, and truly difficult to get into (They're not allowed to move personal belongings in an occupied house). I wiggled my way up there and took a ton of photos with his camera.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Am I angering the code gods if I feed another circuit through this box, essentially using it as a junction box? As in, feed wire through existing conduit from new breaker on panel, run new conduit to a new outlet?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

There's calculations regarding conduit fill. And it sounds like your new cables would just be passing though, so technically it wouldn't be a junction. That's actually a point regarding box fill. Then again, that box is huge.
Cool, thanks. It's just such a specific-purpose box that I was afraid there was some sort of restriction I might not be aware of. Not expecting conduit fill to be a concern, but I will of course make sure before I start fishing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

It's funny, my area (Chicago/Suburbs) is all emt and solid wire. Not sure if the solid is code or what, but the first time I saw stranded (outside of the factory pigtails on light fixtures) was a few months ago.

I actually assumed stranded was cheaper/worse because I'd only seen it on fixtures, but apparently it's more expensive and better at conducting??

And yeah, solid is waaaaaaaaaaay easier to terminate. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to screw down the stranded, had to google it.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 21, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There is (or should be, anyway) a vapor barrier on the other side of the siding. As I understand it, if you put a vapor barrier on both sides of something, then any moisture that does get in (and moisture will always get in to some extent) won't be able to get back out, which makes moisture damage worse.
There's a distinction to be made between vapor barriers, which go on the climate controlled side of insulation, and moisture barriers, which go on the outside of the building. Using both shouldn't be an issue. But yeah, there are conditions where you could potentially have two vapor barriers, and things get ugly. In most climates though, a proper exterior wall would be siding->moisture barrier (tyvek wrap->studs and insulation->vapor barrier (plastic sheeting with taped seams)->drywall.

Edit: possible that my info is outdated, as this is an area that's changing a lot recently

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 24, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pulled a light fixture down this weekend to replace it, and found that the box in the ceiling appears to be too small for the new fixture. The holes for the mounting screws are 3" apart, while the new fixture needs them to be 3.25". I've replaced a lot of lights, in older homes than this, and never had this issue. Ideas?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Always on appliance outlet, 20A circuit, 12AWG wire, and a 15A outlet. This drives my microwave, exhaust hood, and over stove light. My idea is to R&R the outlet with a 20A TR, plug in a 120vac->12vdc transformer and run a single ~18" strip of lights off it. Looks like there are USB options as well - maybe I will just slap a USB wall wart in there and be done with it. Everything up there gets greasy, such to the extent that we only store things up there we use extremely rarely as it will always need to be washed before use.
For the cost and time involved, swapping in a 20amp outlet isn't a bad idea, but my understanding is that it's both perfectly safe to have a 15amp outlet on a 20amp circuit, and is even allowed by code as long as it's not the only outlet on the circuit.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Anyone aware of a recessed outlet & hdmi box that would meet Chicago area code (ie: compatible with a metal junction box)? I'm not finding anything on Google, but it must exist.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

More specifically, a recessed outlet and HDMI plate that would fit into that. Unless I'm dense, they all seem to be standalone fixtures where the connection is made on the back of the plate, without the use of a junction box at all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Probably not a lot of actual mining operations setting up in residential areas either.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Objection overruled

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SpartanIvy posted:

GFCIs work by tripping if there is a variance in the neutral and hot wires. If the variance is 0.05 amps or more (IIRC) it will trip. This why you can use them in outlets without a ground. If the current isnt going where it's supposed to it will stop it. This does not completely protect you from being electrocuted though. If you are completing the circuit between the neutral and hot wires it'll still fry you. It only protects you from electrocuting yourself from the hot wire and some other ground.

So... how dangerous is it that my pool pump is currently running to an outlet via an extension cord with no ground prong on it?

I've been guessing "kind of dangerous" and turning it off before I go on.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Oh, I'm an idiot and failed to mention the pump has a built in gfci. My question was more would that gfci work plugged into an extension cord without a ground plug.

Regardless, I'm definitely replacing the cord, just one of those things you keep forgetting to do when you actually have time to do it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Medullah posted:

I am going to replace the fixture because it's ugly as sin anyway, but am wondering - if it still doesn't work, what's the chain of troubleshooting steps to determine where the problem is?
The problem is the fixture. Consider it troubleshot. Really, that's the most likely point of failure, especially with the experience with the broken base and what not. Odds are decent the little metal tabs that make contact with the bulb base are bent too far back to make contact. I wouldn't worry about pulling everything in the box apart and testing, etc. Kill the breaker, replace the fixture, see if the new one works. It probably will. If not, then its multimeter time.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm setting up a bunch of Halloween decorations and lights, and I've run into a couple spots where I'm having some plug incompatibilities, and wanna make sure I'm not doing anything dangerous.

I have two light up skulls which have polarized plugs, and thus won't plug into the nearby non-polarized light strings. So, I grabbed a 3-way grounded (but non-polarized on the male end) splitter, broke off the ground tab, and used that as an adapter. Since none of the lights involved have a ground wire anyway, there shouldn't be any issue with that, right?

Why do xmas lights use non-polarized plugs anyways? And is there any particular reason these skulls, which are literally just a single small light bulb in a plastic skull, would use polarized plugs instead?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

B-Nasty posted:

Generally, the theory with single light bulbs and polarized plugs is to ensure that the socket has the neutral line connected to the threaded socket part and the hot is on the little tab on the bottom. This is meant to help prevent you from touching the hot, because you would literally have to stick your finger in the light socket to do so. The outside metal socket is far more likely to have accidental contact if the bulb doesn't block it completely, or if you were changing it or mucking around.

With a typical Xmas light strand, the bulbs are wired in series (sometimes multiple series depending on length), so an individual bulb only has a few volts across it. This doesn't pose the same shock hazard as a single bulb/socket getting the full 120v, not to mention the fact that Xmas strand bulbs have contacts that are recessed and very difficult to touch accidentally.

The bigger issue here would potentially be trying to pull more power from the end of the strand's outlet than it was designed to handle. I highly doubt this is the case with a small, single bulb, but it's not necessarily a good idea to try. It's also considered a bad idea to have a ghetto adapter chain, because each socket-plug mating increases the risk of poor contact leading to arcing or excessive heat. Especially if these devices are outside and exposed to weather/temperature shifts.

Given a small enough load, you're probably 98% likely to be perfectly fine, but running a separate, good-quality, outdoor-rated extension cord is a much safer option.
Thanks for the info, I'll grab a couple extension cords just to be extra safe. In regards to pulling too much power through the lights though, wouldn't the fuses in the light strand blow before anything got dangerous? I ask because I do have other stuff with non-polarized plugs attached to light strings.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I needed to make room in a panel for a 240v breaker. So, I combined two lightly loaded 15 amp breakers by removing one and pigtailing it to the other within the junction box. My understanding is this is largely allowed by code, correct? Aside from nuisance tripping, anything I should be concerned about?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Well hell, I was not aware such a device existed. That would probably have been smarter. Until I can replace it however, anyone have any thoughts as to the pigtailing solution currently in place?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Motronic posted:

If it was done inside the panel and properly (correctly sized run off the pigtail, properly sized wire nut or wago) it at worst used to meet code in my area as recently as I've not been a code inspector (5 or so years).

In almost all cases a panel can be treated as a box. And you'd be able to tie those together in that fashion in any other properly installed box, specifically for that purpose, in a switch or outlet box, etc.
Awesome. I'll grab the tandem breaker when I get a chance, just because it feels like the smarter way to go, but glad to know this will be safe in the meantime. Thanks for the info.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I helped a co worker run a new circuit for a heated floor he was installing. He wasn't sure if he was gonna end up needing a 15 or 20 amp breaker, so I ran 12g wire and threw in a 20 amp breaker. Turns out it's more than he needed, and a 15 amp breaker would have been fine. There's no harm in it being over-sized though, right?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

There's one more piece of advice regarding conduit. If you have any turns, use individual wires and use stranded cable instead of solid. Pulling solid wire around a turn is not fun.
For what it's worth, I've never had any issues pulling solid through multiple conduit bends with a fish tape, and terminating solid wire at outlets and switches is easier than stranded (or I'm just dumb).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Probably a dumb question, but I'm super confused. What, uh, does the neutral in a switch box do? Is this just future proofing for smart switches or something?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Nevets posted:

Does Chicago code dictate how many / far apart outlets have to be? I'm imagining alot of builders / renovators using the minimum outlets per room to save labor and money, and then the owner / renter using a forest of chained, undergrounded 16 gauge extension cords snaking along the walls and under the furniture.
Where we don't go overboard on code, we follow the national one, so yeah, we have code to follow on outlet spacing. I don't know if we end up having less outlets per room than other areas - I feel like code is pretty generous in that regard, but maybe owing to lower costs, people go all Groverhaus elsewhere? It's definitely the result of a strong union presence though - The plumbers union fought pvc for awhile as well.

I actually really like emt, and will miss it when I move from the area. You'd be surprised how often having conduit throughout the house makes some new project much easier. I get why everyone else uses romex, but it will always feel odd and half-assed to me (I know it's not - don't yell at me).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Used to be that you even needed conduit for low voltage.
You sure about that? I've lived in/worked in older homes in the area, and never saw thermostat or doorbell wires run in conduit (to my great dismay on a few occasions).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Got a strange one. I plugged a space heater in at work, and the power light briefly turned on, then faded out, and the unit never kicked on. Tried a different outlet, same thing. Plugged it into a nearby gfci that *might* be feeding those other two outlets, and it worked perfectly fine. It has definitely worked on those other outlets in recent history.

The gfci never tripped, and the unit seemed to get at least some measure of power every time it was plugged in, just not enough to turn on??? Is that a thing? Can a gfci in some state of failure feed a diminished voltage to an outlet?

I'll try to remember to bring my voltmeter in to work tomorrow if that will help diagnose the issue.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but let's see.

I can install this 20a GFCI breaker (https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schne...way&sr=8-5&th=1), or one similar (not sure if I have plug on neutral yet), and then all the receptacles connected to that breaker can be converted to three-prong outlets, even though the outlet boxes don't have a ground wire? If that's the case, would I just leave the ground screw on the receptacle completely unconnected?

I watched a video on installing breakers and it seems fairly straightforward. It can't be this easy, can it? All of the rooms in my house that don't already have GFCI outlets are limited to two breakers, which would make this cheap and easy.
Just something that I think needs to be said to anyone working in a panel for the first time - The main breaker does *NOT* de-energize the lugs at the top of the panel. You can still kill yourself in a panel with the main breaker off.

I don't say it to discourage you, because you're right, it's a simple process, just don't go touching poo poo in there all willy-nilly just because you flipped the main.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

raej posted:

I'm in the process of replacing all the switches in our house. I came across a 4-wire switch and all of my new switches are 3 post. Do I need to find a 4 post switch, or is there some way around this? The new switches are Bestten

Is it a 4-way switch? Looks like one to me, in which case yeah, you'll need to buy a 4-way switch. And then 2 3-way switches for its friends.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Rhyno posted:

So I have hallway lights controlled by three switches and I might have hosed up when I replaced the switches. They seem to counter each other when I flip any of the three. I installed the same 4-way in each spot and I think I was supposed to use one 4 way and two 3-way?
Yeah, it should be 1 4-way and 2 3-ways. As far as wiring them up, it'll be tricky at this point, but your best bet is to use a continuity tester to figure out where each wire runs, then consult a good wiring diagram for 4 way circuits. If your wiring is all in conduit, you can just disconnect all the switches and the light, then give every wire a little tug to see where it goes, eliminating the need for a continuity tester.

Or, do what I'd probably do in your place, and just swap wires around randomly until it works the way it should. But, you know, don't burn your house down. And hey, on the plus side, you get to return two of those idiotically expensive 4 way switches.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 14, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Hello sparkies, I have been utterly baffled by something and I figured you might be able to help out:

I have a bathroom with a vanity light and a vent fan/light that the PO in my house had done. The way the switch is set up is shown here:

Note that it is not set up for a common feed. I tested this circuit on a common feed switch and when I did, throwing one switch (I believe at the time it was the top but I tried a few combinations) turns on both the vent fan/light and the vanity light, even when the other hot is disconnected.

In its current configuration, the one it was in when I found it, the top switch turns on the vanity, but the vent fan/ceiling light will only turn on if the top and bottoms switch are on.

This is where it gets intriguing:

Either orange connection turns on the newer light (including if you twist the white and black together with the brown), and only blue turns on the vent fan/light. Which seems to imply that for the old wiring the black is the neutral and the brown is a shared hot. I can't seem to figure out how this circuit was originally wired but did they used to use a brown/orangish color for hots and black as neutral back in the 50s? I am now kicking myself for not having a common feed tab still attached doubting that the brown wire was in fact the hot.

Edit: I bridged the feeds and put the brown wire on that side, then connected the two orange connections to one neutral and the blue connection to the other neutral. This time either switch turned on both lights.
My guess:

The brown is your hot, the lone black is the switch leg for your old light, and the white/black combo are both the leg for your new light. Why they are both connected is beyond me, but disconnecting that light and seeing how they are connected to it might shed some light. None of them should be a neutral though, and if one is, it shouldn't be hooked up to your switch.

My fix: It sounds like you've already disconnected the tab between the two hot posts on your switch? If so, split your hot (brown) with a pigtail, and hook it up to both of your hot posts. Then hook the lone black up to one leg post, the other black wire to the other leg post, and then cap the white wire, as it kind of shouldn't be needed unless I'm wildly misinterpreting something.

A lot of these guesses could be confirmed with a multimeter or voltage detector.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 1, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Blindeye posted:

So that was my thinking, but it doesn't explain why brown-new light's white NM wire with nothing else connected turns on the new light with both black's disconnected. It also doesn't explain that when I created the pigtail split of the brown, it meant either switch could turn on both lights.
I'm baffled.
Your test involved having the white and black on the same post, right? Try it again with that white disconnected. I'm not an electrician, so I'm firmly into "some sort of weird shared neutral type situation thing?" territory, but that's my guess. That white is tied into a bunch of neutrals, and you're energizing that whole bundle of neutrals, which is why both lights turn on. I don't know, in this theory, why that would turn things on rather than just shorting, but..... shrug. Give it a shot.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I installed a surgical light at work today, and it occurs to me that I don't know how to test it for ground. The whole place is in metal conduit, and the outlet/box the light is fed off of is grounded per one of those little outlet testers. I screwed down the light's ground wire to that grounded box, but I'd sleep better if I confirmed 100% it was grounded. Testing at the point where the ground is wired into the box seems pointless, because I know the box is grounded, and I'm more concerned with, like, is someone gonna catch a shock flipping the switch on the light itself. So, multimeter from the hot wire to the switch? To the body of the light? None of the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

STR posted:

That outlet is probably for an old window AC unit.

What you're proposing is A Bad Idea; partly because there's likely not a ground wire, mostly because you're gonna be throwing 15 amp (maybe 20 amp) outlets on a 30 amp circuit
Is this actually bad? I just replaced a 20amp outlet with a 15 because that's what I had on hand and I figured you can't possibly put a 20 amp device into a 15 amp outlet, so there's no chance of overloading it?