Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I rewired a ton of stuff in my house last year since I was remodeling my basement and had all the walls and celing open. It is not too hard, got myself one of the electical books from Home Depot to learn the basics. If I ever get caught up I'll post some pics and stuff.

My father-in-law used to work for Con Edison, the electrical utility of NYC, until he retired. When my wife and I bought our house we replaced some old 2 prong outlets with 3 prong. I walked into the room and he was replacing the outlets and I asked if he wanted me to turn off the circuit breaker. He said "No, this would knock you back but to me it feels like a tickle." Bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

grover posted:

dumbass is more like it. 120V can still kill you.

Sorry I did not mean to make it sound like I'm advocating rushing out to do something like this. The point was that he was a splicer for ConEd working under the streets of Manhattan and was used to a lot more juice than what runs through a house. He had built up a tolerance from 40 years on the job and was not affected by the couple shots of 120V he got from replacing the outlets.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
So the guys that did my landscaping reconnected the electrical to my detached garage. Since they cut one of the pavers in the wrong spot the PVC pipe and connector into the garage are all cockeyed. I have one pic of what it looks like now and a Photoshop of what I'd like it to look like.

How it looks like now:

Photoshop corrected:

The current transition piece; http://www.lowes.com/pd_75783-223-E...tion&facetInfo=

I've dug around for a transition piece with the outlet on the bottom instead of the end but have not had any luck. Any suggestions?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

kid sinister posted:

Either learn to love it, or get your landscapers back out to fix the pavers. You're forgetting that there are cables inside that PVC and fitting. In order to swap out that PVC and fitting, you would need to flip the breaker to your garage, find the box inside where that UF transitions to NM, detach them, work that UF back out where it comes in the wall, pull that old conduit and fitting off the NM, put a new one on, then put everything back together.

It would be seriously easier and faster to cut new pavers and shove the pipe over. If you're dead set on doing it the hard way, You won't find any single conduit bodies off the shelf for a double right angle. You might be able to get away with modifying a Arlington Anybody to work for your situation. Even if you do, I can't guarantee that the spacing of its double right angle would end up with the vertical piece as vertical as you'd like.

Thanks for the advice, I have a Grainger in town the sells the Arlington Anybody I'll take a look at that.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I have a doorbell wiring question. Years ago I added a second doorbell in the basement since my wife could not hear the upstairs one when she was hanging out in our family room. So I have two buttons (front and side door) and two bells. Recently they stopped working so I replaced the transformer with this one, connecting it to the 16 VAC/10 VA output.

Now it seems the side bell is still working but the front bell is not. I tried to test out a few things and I’m stumped, I even picked up a multimeter so I could get more accurate readings. What’s strange it the front doorbell button even lights up so it is getting power. What should I be looking for? I’ve never really used a multimeter so any advice about what I should test for would be appreciated.

Edit: Found the diagram I created when I wired this up.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2013

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Guy Axlerod posted:

What voltage did your old transformer put out?

I guess I'd start by checking the voltage between the Black and White wires (As shown on your diagram) on each bell while the front button is pressed. You'll need a helper.

Then I'd disconnect one bell at a time to see if the other works when it's alone on the circuit.

I replaced the transformer with the same model, so 16V. Thanks for the advise will report back with my progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

I have a doorbell wiring question.

This was a while back but wanted to thank Guy Axlerod and Kid Sinister for your help. Tracked down two problems, the button was getting stuck, burning out the transformer and the one bell unit was bad. Replaced them all and was back in business. Thanks guys.