Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How I wrote off my old Bandit 250V (Directly copied from another forum, hence the odd formatting)

Scenario:
Blinded by sun approaching curve

Techniques Applied:
Rampant stupidity

Weather:
Fairly clear, late May afternoon

Description:
Was heading home from a day spectating at Wakefield around 4.30pm. Rounded a right-hand bend approaching a large railway bank and a bridge, with another right-hand bend with a large bank behind it. As I took the right-hander under the bridge, I copped a face-full of setting sun and was basically blinded. After a long day, I instinctively shut my eyes, dropped my head and let off the throttle. Problem was, there was another right-hander to take, but I still couldn't see. So I tried to slow and stop so I could then move through the right. But, suddenly....

Bike wound up in the ditch, and time for my second mistake. With the adrenalin up, I dragged the bike up and out of the ditch and clean lifted it up on to the wheels, which meant I re-injured my wrecked rotator cuff.

Lessons Learned or Re-affirmed:

Keep your loving eyes open! And, unless it's pissing out fuel and about to ctach fire or somewhere dangerous, leave the bike where it is until you can get someone to help you pull it out.

More pics:

Bike was a write-off, $4500 worth of parts needed (:argh: Suzuki spares). No injuries apart from the rotator cuff. Was wearing a Joe Rocket Nova textile jacket with a rugby jumper under it, Joe Rocket GPX gloves, Hornee jeans, A* SMX-4 Boots and KBC VR-1 helmet. Helmet was scratched so it got dumped, everything was fine and still in use.

In addition to this, I've low-sided twice. Once on my GPX250 a week into my riding career, panicked taking a 90degree turn, locked the front brake and almost got run over. Then whilst riding my old ZX-6R at Winton Raceway backed right off the throttle and the whole bike dropped right into a hairpin, boot hit the ground and lifted the rear tyre off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Had someone deliberately ram me on my way home from night shift yesterday morning. They really are out to kill us. The one time I wasn't splitting...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Riding along towards the Harbour Tunnel in the left wheel track of the right hand lane. Felt a big thump on the back of my right leg and got thrown over into the middle lane and get a big wobble going. Damper does it's job and weave stops, look over and there's this loving Mini where I was. Guy driving didn't even look over at me when I booted on his door. Followed him for a while, then turned off the freeway and went to the cop shop near home and reported it. No apparent damage to me or the mighty Gixxer.

:iiam:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Since you were following him you memorized his plates. And then gave them to the cops so they can effectively follow up on it. Right?

Right?

Plates, car and a description of the cuntface behind the wheel.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FunkyJunk posted:

Hmm. You have no proof that it was deliberate, yet you admitted to damaging his property. I'm not doubting your story, but a cop might.

The guy had been behind me for a k or so and I hadn't changed my speed in a couple of hundred metres. The only way for him to hit me was to drive right up arse. As for the boot on the door, it wouldn't have done poo poo.

OrangeFurious posted:

Did the cops care? I wasn't hit, but I was run off the road a while back. When I called CHP from the side of the road they wouldn't take the plate number. The operator said if an officer didn't see it, they won't investigate it.

Then again, my example isn't hit and run while yours could be.

Yeah, they took a report and the local station where it happened will talking to him. The cop said that since it's my word against his there's a good chance nothing will happen, but it's on record.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you can keep the bike straight you'll be fine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This just reminded me of some advice for you goons on bikes:

mike fictitious posted:

The cops showed up, then the EMTs. The RN told the EMTs I needed a neck brace and back board. I had no neck pain. No pain at all really, just my left leg was sore. The EMTs checked out my neck and back and determined I was OK, but the RN persisted. She demanded they do it, and wouldn't leave until she saw me in it. The EMTs threatened to have her arrested for interfering, but eventually relented and put me in that god-forbidden contraption.

If you're in an accident caused by someone else, and someone calls an ambulance, or you think you need one, get in it and go to the hospital. This for two reasons: 1) Just because you feel fine, there's a chance you aren't and will probably start to feel in it a couple of hours.

And for the Aussies here: 2) It's automatically at least a Neg Driving charge for the person at fault if someone needs an ambulance.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
*sigh* loving taxis. Got rear-ended sitting at a red-left turn light. Bike's ok, just buckled my Micron can. Unfortunately for the cabbie and his insurer, it's 1) part of a full system which 2) isn't made anymore. So looks like I'll be getting money to get me a M4 Ti shorty system.

But at least the bastard didn't get away unscathed.

EDIT: Arrrrrrrrrgh, how do you delete attachments?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 25, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you see a kangaroo on the side of the road, slow as down as much as you can and pull towards the side of the road. The fuckers will and do jump in front of you just as you pass.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not me, but a guy I was riding in a group with today. Turns out a Landcruiser v Ducati Sport1000 is 2-1. Landcruiser had it's RHS Front tyre ripped off and the rim destroyed, Duc is toast and he was choppered out with an extra joint in his shin and another in his foot.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No ones quite sure what happened as the guy behind him came round the corner after it had happened, but it's probably his fault. The people in the Landcruiser said he was on the wrong side of the road and hit them, but the cops said he was definitely already off the bike and sliding when he hit them.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh yeah, he'll live. Just gonna be a bit sore and sorry for a while. He was wearing leather jacket, boots (one of which got ripped off), kevlar jeans and gloves. Not much gravel rash, just a few bumps and scrapes. And the two compound fractures obviously.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apparently he's going to be ok, his wife made it to the hospital and has already given him poo poo for falling off. Always follow Rule 1 people.

DiZ posted:

Crap dude, I saw your status earlier and thought someone might have come off, where were you riding?

On this road, about 5km out of Tarana.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sucks about the bike dude. That track looks like a blast though. How long is that main straight.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pr0zac posted:

Definitely need to rethink how I'm commuting to work. I've always tried to keep a nice cushion of space between me and the car in front of me, but that seems to result in idiots cutting me off constantly. Maybe I'll just go back to taking the bus.

You need to be positioned on the side of the lane furtherest from the other traffic, covering the brakes and watching the cars like a hawk. You're watching for the drivers turning their heads, drifting in their lane, wheels starting to turn. Bad as it sounds, if there's a hard shoulder next to you, it might be worthwhile closing up on the car in front, and be ready to dodge left/right if someone slams on the brakes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Primo Itch posted:

It's rainy today.

I'm coming to a stop in a headlight, pull the front brake slowly, the front gently dives, everything is good, everything is alr... What? Why is the pavement so close to my face? left thigh to the ground, the bike slides to the side and I stop 1 meter before the bumper of a taxi.

Why? Was it only a matter of too much brake ? Could be, it wasn't the most light braking ever... But them one of the passerby that helped me get the bike up point back and says "you hit some oil" and there it was, a small oil patch just where i hit the ground.

Bike has a bent handlebar and shift foot lever (a little strenght will put both in place) and a completely destroyed back blinker. I got a very very small roadrash on the knee, even thought neither the rain pants or my normal pants have any holes :iiam: and a little scrap on the helmet the size of my pinky nail, and my leg hurts :(

Anyways, got it back up, twister the shift lever back in place, it started in the first turn and I rode home. Love sumos S2

Use your rear brake in the wet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The other guy he was riding with didn't see what happened?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blaster of Justice posted:

There's typically no initial symptoms at all when an intracranial hemorrhage happens. It goes really fast. That would be my bet. The Gods provided us with lovely blood-to-brain feeding pipes.

I was referring to the inital falling off; i.e, did he just keel over and lose it, or if he hit something, came off and clonked his head then?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bugdrvr posted:

Would motorcycle boots help a whole lot with the hyper extension of your feet? I've got a pair of A* SMX and TCX street boots and my feet are pretty flexible in there. Would they really keep it from bending the wrong way in a crash or is it just somewhat better than normal shoes?

Yes, that's the main idea of riding boots. They are designed to be flexible up to normal ranges of movement then they stop your ankle bending.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 26, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Cars, having four huge contact patches and shitloads of grip, will ruin a track that was not built well. Apparently MAM was not built well!

Any track that runs any half-decent cars class gets braking ripples. loving Winton has this huge dip in it where the V8 Supercars hit the anchors. Problem is on a bike you're already on the brakes when you hit the dip so heaps of people run off the end of the straight after having get off the brakes.

Racing trucks though, now they gently caress up the entirety of any track they race on.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sirbeefalot posted:

I was sideswiped on the 10 East in LA yesterday, around 4:45 pm, right before the National Blvd exit. I was splitting in the right side of the #3 lane, and a silver Pontiac Sunfire came either from the left side of the #3, or from the #2 (I didn't even see the car until I was watching my arm take her passenger mirror off), and tried to get into the #4 lane via me. I closed my eyes immediately after getting hit in the left side, but I think I was tossed off the bike and hit on my right shoulder/forearm, then rolled and slid a little bit. There was zero opportunity to try and control the bike, which is why I think I was hit hard enough to be thrown right away. I was going 40-45, traffic was going 35-40.

A good tip whilst lane-splitting is not to watch for wheels turning or indicators coming on, but to watch drivers' heads. Even complete muppets will turn the head a little when they're going to change lanes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sounds like you were just poo poo outta luck this time dude :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Here4DaGangBang posted:

By the time I was able to merge my lane had disappeared and I was riding on the shoulder.

Failing to see why this an issue, I would've just kept going up the shoulder (That's the only thing that makes the M5 bearable).

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crayvex posted:

I used to work with a guy and he stated that if he was stuck on the highway and a motorcyclist split lanes he would 100% without a doubt throw open a car door to stop him, even if it meant putting the motorcyclist's life in danger. It wasn't a good thing for him to say considering he sat right next to three motorcyclists.

I don't understand this. They open their door and then what? They've got a pissed-off rider right next to them, wearing a helmet and amoured gloves and clothing, and have just removed the barrier stopping said rider throttling them for sheer idiocy.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Here4DaGangBang posted:

BIG BOY GEAR YAYYYY

It's not really big boy gear since you have the physique of a particularly scrawny 12yr old.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looks like a friction burn, probably just from rubbing on the jacket's liner/armor.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Shops almost always pad out estimates, and are required to replace any damaged parts with new ones, generally. So yeah, you'll get some crazy estimates. To build just the engine from the catalog typically will cost you as much as the bike complete.

A few months ago either Bike or PB mag (can't remember which specifically) went through the Yamaha and Suzuki parts catalogue to see how much it would cost to build an entire R1 or GSXR1000 solely from spares purchased from a dealer for RRP. IIRC they were looking at nearly £60k.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

I just had an accident on my gsx-r.... right handed turn, hit some gravel and slid :( pictures coming, wearing leathers jacket + helimot gloves + boots + cortech textle overpants... some rash on my right leg looks like the pants didn't quite hold up, hole in my helimot right glove, some rash on my right palm, rest of me seems ok, didn't hit my head/helmet in anyway I think.

Might just be heat burn from the friction.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Neither. It's physics. Friction generates heat, which burns skin. But it's much better than gravel rash.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If the left hand case is cracked there's good chance the crank could've taken a hit.

Z3n posted:

Edit: if nothing is bent that'd only be a hundred or 2 in parts to get it rideable and 700-1000 to get it back to pristine with used OEM fairings or a complete chinese kit.

$200 to fix it up? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahno, not in Australia. Plus, you can't register write-offs in NSW anymore. So trackbike or off for scrap.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sir Cornelius posted:

Would indeed suck if it was true. There's apparently still options if the "Applicant was the registered operator for more than 28 days before damage occurred".

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/written_off_vehicles/written-off_vehicles_reforms.html

Didn't know they brought that exemption in. Last I'd heard about it was that all write-offs would be statutory and unable to be re-reg'd.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've heard older standard bikes used to stand up real bad if you braked in corners.

It's not even older bikes, it's just dependent on chassis geometry and suspension setup. Some bikes don't mind it, some want to stand up. Just have to be aware of what your machine will do and ride accordingly.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't agree with riding like a dong, but I will defend his right to do so to the death.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alpina-Raggi make tubeless spoked wheels as well. As for Ducati, the spoked wheels on Sportclassics are not tubeless.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xovaan posted:

Man that looks rad as gently caress. Does it conduct electricity? I wonder if you can feel strong static charges through it.

Dunno about that but he's definitely going to be feeling it anytime the weather changes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If the stator ground all the way through it'll probably be a right off, an impact that hard on the cases can gently caress up the crank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When the physio's massages stop feeling good is when they start working.

• Locked thread