Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Welp, so much for lane splitting being less safe than bumper-to-bumper. Pulled up in back of a guy as he stopped behind other cars at a light, he decided to back into a spot, didn't see me despite my helmet being lit up. Thankfully no damage I can make out. https://streamable.com/c9j1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Friend just wrecked her Harley 48 into a median on the thruway. She's apparently okay and waiting with Highway Patrol, thinks a rib may be broken and the key broke off in the ignition. Waiting to hear more but mostly I'm thanking every single loving tiki god that she's not worse off.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Shimrod posted:

:O What happened?

Don't know yet. Just know she's being seen to. Would not be surprised if it was because it's Los Angeles in the rain, when the roads expel months and months of drought-famished oil slick and everyone drives like it's the end times.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Got her home. Bike is pretty thrashed, everything on the left side is bent, scratched, or missing entirely. The Harley dealership is gonna be closed through January 2nd so we're getting the ball rolling on the insurance claim and taking photos.

As far as the circumstances: She was on the 110 and in the exit lane, slowing for the off-ramp. Some jackass merged into her and didn't stop even when she honked. He drove her into a rainslick and she lowsided into the median. The guy just loving drove off and three people passed her. Thankfully, her gremlin bell apparently worked because a highway patrol officer who loves bikes stopped and stayed with her until the tow came.

No clue how bad the damage is. This is why I always wear my action cam, and I'm getting a Sena 10c for her since her SMH10R is hosed.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Welp, looks like my friend's insurance (Progressive plan through Harley Davidson) doesn't cover her situation. Guess the bike is wrecked and she's just hosed. Damage assessment in January and we'll see where to go from there.

Her Reevu held up admirably, though. She just doesn't wanna think about riding for a while.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

So are all hit and run victims just hosed? This is a serious question, I have no idea how that works. Or is there some sort of umbrella that covers hit and runs?

You're basically hosed. Always wear an action cam.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Inu did my college education's worth of damage to himself at the track

Inu rules

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor On Demand is good for minor injuries. When my friend crashed her Harley and got dinged up a bit we used it and it was $40 for a 10 minute consultation to make sure nothing was broken.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Even on test rides I feel naked and smaller than the bike without my armor. I've heard plenty of anecdotes about invincible road warriors who make one trip to the corner gas station without their gear and get laid up in the hospital for months. Cars blindly backing out of parking spaces don't care how close to home you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I don’t get it when I see people here in Cali doing 60+ in a tank top and shorts. Riding in anything but full gear feels downright unpleasant from wind/bugs/dust alone.

• Locked thread