Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not to mention he specifically said he had lovely insurance with a high deductible.

This thread has been a fun read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At least at the end of it we can confidently diagnose you with a thick skull, concussion or no.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have a buddy who rides a Yama Virago 535 and he hopped on a friend's sportster to bump start it and told me that the sportster was lighter than his virago.

I haven't looked up the numbers yet but wtf. Maybe they're deceptively small and light.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That rimtape looks sick

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whoops, accident post

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Instead of hating on the cop I'd look up how liability in a parking lot works in your state. I don't think they ever assign blame in parking lots here. I'm stupid careful in them as a result. Not to mention you were essentially in his lane. If I saw you right here and I was were he was, I might assume you were going left and try to cut under you.

Good luck on getting any money out of him.

edit: give your insurance the video and let them sort it out

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're late to the party Marv, we got him already.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

aventari posted:

He drives straight into auruspex on his own drivers side without even noticing. That's some inattentive, irresponsible poo poo.

This is true and no argument from me. However the complaint is that auruspex set that situation up. He approached the T junction, where he had a stop sign, in the center of the road (at best). You can see him go thru the middle to miss the speed bumps right before. Had he been a bit more inside, it might not have been as much of a problem. This isn't awful, just a factor that lead to it. His problem, if you didn't notice on the video, was he ran the stop sign. If he'd stopped at the stop sign there wouldn't have been a problem.

The driver would have cut close to him, sure, but that's what drivers do. If he never noticed this is a tough lesson, and if other's haven't noticed, people cut left turns tight all the loving time. Look at a large intersection and you'll see the left turn lane is often farther back then the straight and right lanes. It's because people turn tight, not wide, and even with them recessed I constantly see people driving thru them. Again, this isn't his fault, but it's a contributing factor and moreso when combined with how far wide he was near the stop sign.

The driver might not have even seen him, or he might have just expected him to stop and taken the turn a little tight, as people do, especially in parking lots. I also think he realized earlier than some say, he was stopped pretty much immediately which makes me think he was braking before they hit. I'd put this as 50/50. Inattentive driver, but poor riding. I mean hell, he almost has a similar accident right before. Fortunately that car yielded.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mootmoot posted:

Cycle Asylum - Biker-hating bikers.

Car driver wasn't paying attention. Who gives a poo poo about what happened before?

Honestly it's probably only because you're on a supersports and not driving a POS 86' Honda 250CC why these tedious pedants are on you.

See auruspex, if mootmoot is on your side I think you may have some serious thinking to do about your riding.

mootmoot, are you just butthurt because your (second) accident was really like auruspex's and if you actually posted the video you know we'd all make fun of you for it? I noticed you typed it out but never said any detail other than the guy pulling out and him saying "I didn't see you."

Where's the vid mootmoot? Rest of CA: I'll take bets on mootmoots being similar to auruspex's.

Edit: Did you run a stop sign as well, mootmoot?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 7, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

front wing flexing posted:

So if you ride on the wrong side of the road and blast through a stop sign, it doesn't matter because it was right before the crash? Is that what I'm reading from people? Those two things contributed directly to his crash, for my view of the video, it was more the cause than the driver making a sharp left as every driver ever does.

He's trolling, don't put a lot of effort into it. Did you see how he glossed past my post?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You should have taken a deep breathe, and get used to it. If you expect people who drive like assholes to act like anything else you're in for disappointment. Gotta learn how to stay calm after that kinda stuff happens because its gonna happen. Being a "crazy biker" just escalates a situation.

I had a woman hit me coming into my lane then flip me off after. I was by my house and went back to remove my gear and took my pedal bike to confront her calmly as i saw where she went and parked. Guess what? Even tho i was calm, unintimidating and on a pedal bike now, she was still an rear end in a top hat. She wouldn't even tell me her name when i introduced myself.

People are dicks and freaking out about it just makes you look bad.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Use your imagination.

the same place it always does, on the end of the hand.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They probably designed it with room for 4 fingers. This is the imagination part I was talking about. Hell, you don't even need that. You just had to click the link.

Anything else you need your hand held thru?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It happens man, focus on what you can learn from it and move on. You can practice on the bike in lots or parks to try and get more comfortable before going out on the street. I've been riding 5 or 6 years or something now and I still do some MSF drills just to keep up, mainly braking and slow speed maneuvers.

Cemeteries can be good for practicing too and they're usually pretty curvy and empty. Sometimes the pavement can be junk though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
From the accident the OP described that could have been the best the helmet could do, tho it is worrying.

Glad your still together fingerling. Don't skimp on PT, think of it as training.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sometimes i lock it on the 250 for fun and I've only highsided every time I did it...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Clevermuldoon posted:

Was riding in the rain the other day. Tried to pull into a parking lot but turned way too suddenly. The bike started wobbling and I did the rational thing and panic grabbed the front brake and the bike tipped over.

Considering I was only going about 5 mph I'd hesitate to call it a crash, and the only problem with the bike is that the front wheel is out of alignment. Took it to the shop yesterday so I'll be hearing back on Monday if there's any other problems. I'm pissed now because it's a beautiful day outside and I'm missing out because I was riding like an idiot.

With little wobbles the gas is your friend. Not a lot, mind, but a bit of throttle will usually help you out.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bummer, but at least it was a slow one. My biggest crash was pretty similar I think.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I used to skip the overpants from time to time when I had a pair that was like normal pants. Now I have a pair that has zippers up 3/4s of the leg so you can put them on and take them off with boots on. I really have no excuse for not wearing them now and because of that I wear them.

Now I always get gear that is easy to wear.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What even happened....?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Where is moot? Probably dead :(
We found out that he wasn't just playing a douchebag on the forums but was a real life Count Douchebag. He ran away when the internet got too real.

I miss him.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495610

I forgot that he totalled the Daytona too...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ReelBigLizard posted:

:siren: Content! :siren:

Well, I've dropped the R1 after less than a week. low speed, pulling out of a car park with what turned out to be too much throttle. Total damage is a small scuff on the right fairing, the crash bung and a really small one on the exhaust. No damage on me to speak of, a tiny friction burn on my kneecap.

Riding the KTM for four years has given me some bad habits it seems. I pull out like this on the KTM all day and never get any more than a wiggle on the back. Hadn't anticipated how easily the R1 would just spin the rear like that. The road was a bit oily, and the tires have seen a track day and a couple of years, so those might be factors but at the end of the day I was entirely at fault putting too much throttle on.

That's why this forum always says to get a 250 :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah he did. Very new tho iirc from a earlier post.

vwman, not much to tell you cause you know what happened really. Just know early on that the bike will always turn more, until you start scraping hard parts. Aside from that, when I have a "oh poo poo" moment like you did as you realized you weren't going to make the turn (tho you probably were, or were with a bit more lean, but that's another topic...), I try to direct my vision on the horizon and then take in all the hazards that are going on, whether it's a turn I'm about to blow, debris on the road, a turkey taking flight across the road, or whatever. By just directing and focusing my sight path at some obscure section of the horizon in the middle of my field of view I don't have to worry about target fixating, but I'm still able to see the other stuff out of the corner of my eye. Try practicing that next time you go out.

Sagebrush posted:

At least read the guy's post history -- he has. He did it on a much smaller bike, though, so given that this crash happened as the results of a low-speed turning problem I would guess he wasn't used to the size and weight of the bike.

You need to read more too braj :p, it wasn't really the slow speed you're talking about but a classic target fixation from what I read. IMO the bike size isn't ideal for a new rider but honestly as far as American standards go it's not that bad. Easy power and not obscene weight.

edit: also vwman, don't be afraid to hold the throttle steady and really slip the clutch when turning in those kind of situations. A lot of bikes can be twitchy and unsettling on the throttle and slow speed, and that can push you wide. Keeping the clutch in the friction zone helps you be smooth thru those. In general I'm constantly slipping the clutch when accelerating up to around 30 or 35, but almost always have it fully engaged when accelerating after that. (On a FZ6, 600 cc standard)

I'd also suggest hitting up a parking lot for some of those MSF drills you did, but on your bike. That, and I've also found cemeteries to be good for new riders, since they tend to be deserted but have some turns and elevation in them. At least in this area.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 15, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

It sounds to me like he found himself in that speed range just above parking-lot between normal steering and countersteering. Giving it more gas through the turn may have helped.

That's true. I deal with that problem by accelerating straight quickly and then counter steering it over and bypassing the normal steering section. I don't know if that would translate to a cruiser tho, no experience.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
yeah you're right

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Glad we cleared that up, I'm sure he'll benefit from your anal y sis.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chriskory posted:

I was heading out on some country roads today, took a right turn and found some gravel in the road. Bike went down and I slid about 10 feet. I had full gear on besides the jeans I was wearing, the only part that's hurting now is the road rash on my knee. My Cycle Gear Dainese gloves also split open at the palms, SMX boots are pretty scuffed on the toes too, but serviceable.

It happend really quickly, the moment I realized the loss of traction I was underneath the bike. A woman who saw the accident rolled her window down and asked if I was okay, I thumbs up and she drove off. Then a guy stopped and helped me pick the bike up, made sure I was okay ect.

I don't know how I could have prevented it, I'm scared of loving mystery gravel now. Also, should have had my kevlar jeans on obviously.

Glad you didn't get too busted up.

Now for the harsher bit...You just got a new bike right? If I was you, I'd consider whether your new bike led you to make an error or just contributed because it reacts differently than your old bike. Gravel can be scary, but just saying "I washed out on gravel and that's that" doesn't give you any room for learning where you might have made an error. It took me a while to realize that it was me who messed up on my first real crash.

I also used to be terrified of gravel and of slipping around, and my solution for that was to go and slide around as much as possible. I hit up gravel roads and even steer towards stuff in the road for a little slidey fun. As long as your smooth on the inputs and you have your weight in the right place you'll slide a bit but come out alright.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just constructive.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If he looks instagram bad rear end enough maybe people won't notice he broke his leg kick starting a bike.

I saw an old harley catapult my friends dad one time but you'd have to seriously stiff leg it or something to do that much damage.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sounds like you made it out alright. That's a pretty common thing to happen.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
mootmoot

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah it's not a majority but there's a lot of 675 owners here in various forms. Way disproportionate to any motorcycle demographic except maybe 675 owner clubs.

I rarely see one in person yet I could probably find at least 10 active posters here with one and 20 who've had one before. Most of what I see are naked streets or speeds, not the Daytonas.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Abe Froman posted:

I refuse to look at any of these pictures but I was nevertheless convinced to order a pair of textile overpants today. Thanks, dudes.

Get a pair with CE armor and I like ones with a 3/4 or so length zipper down the side. I had a pair without the zipper and you couldn't put them on over boots, so I didn't wear them half the time. I wear my pants every ride now.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's a parking brake, not an emergency brake.

In what emergency situation would you want to pull the hand brake?

Pham Nuwen posted:

As my dad used to put it, "Is it an emergency? Then leave the emergency brake alone."

It's just important that you remember to leave the vehicle in gear, lest it roll down a slight incline and into a poplar tree. Or so I've been told.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

The emergency is when the normal brakes don't work. That's why even bikes with linked brakes have two physically separate circuits because having redundant brakes is mandatory above a certain size vehicle.

Yeah but that's not what it's for. It's for parking.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Uh...yes that is what it's for? As I just stated. It's helpful and useful and good for parking but that isn't what it's for, despite the name. Do you really think that with sophisticated automatic cars, which are able to lock the brakes on using esc when the car is switched off, anyone would put in a separate parking brake which is inferior to the other two systems holding the car still? The only reason any manufacturer builds them at all is because a completely separate braking system is legally mandatory.

Legalities are also the reason manufacturers have to jump through hoops when it comes to brake by wire and steer by wire.

You're still confused. It's a parking brake. It's primary function is being a brake to hold the vehicle while parked. You can use it in an emergency but that's not what it's for.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I dunno, sounds like you'd benefit from a discussion about parking.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaNChEzZ posted:

I had a friend once forget to layerdan his layerdan handle after a round of spirited driving, and his car almost rolled into mine.
Why didn't he use the emergency brake?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

FluffyDice posted:

I didn't crash today but my bike was backed into by my manager at work. I actually think I could benefit from a discussion on parking. Saw the whole thing happen as I frantically waved at her through the shop front.

Just about everything has polished out so I'm pretty happy, as far as having my bike laying in a car park goes. Now there's just some scratches on the indicator stalk, a mirror, a bar end, the exhaust cover and on a headlight lens. The little dicky bit on the underside of a foot peg also got snapped off. That's about the only thing I'm getting her to pay for.

I'm telling myself that the bike now has "character" instead of being upset about it. It's only a month since I bought it new. :(

Manager eh? Sounds like she'll have a hard time saying no if you ask to park somewhere special now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're supposed to drop your first bike dude.

Bummer.

• Locked thread