Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Once again, I thank God that I live in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rudager posted:

Thank god I live in Australia where you can't register a vehicle without paying for the insurance that will cover your victims medical costs in the event you hurt someone, and if someone does hit you with an unregistered vehicle that doesn't have that insurance, then the goverment will pay the majority of it anyway.

Same in Canada. In my province, you aren't allowed on the road without $1m liability insurance. Everything else is optional.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm dumb (but thankfully not too dumb)

The situation:
- just got my first bike. It's a Saga 250 Enduro, a Chinese 4-stroke that's a pretty good match for my all of experience and circumstances (budget, location, commute). I decided to go riding with a buddy off-road. He has a YZ250 (? Thanks dirt bike bros)

- after riding successfully with my bike for an hour or so, my buddy invited me to try his bike. I ripped up and down a trail for a few minutes and said I was good but he insisted I try it on the rougher ground

http://youtu.be/ZHofqBu5jP4

The damage:
- zero damage to the bike. This crash was child's play to a YZ

- sprained my left wrist and broke a small bone in my hand. Presumably from the edge of my hand slipping off the bars and having the bike land on it

- punched my shin pretty hard. Hard enough to dent my Mx boots and leave a divot in my shin bone and decent bruising, but no blood

Lessons Learned:
- wear the gear. I was initially hesitant to pay $100 for mx boots that I didn't think I'd use much. I'm extremely glad I listened to my buddy and ponied up for them. I was going to wear hiking boots, which probably would have ended with at least a sprained ankle and definitely a gusher punched into my shin.

- listen to your gut and ride within your limits. I'd ridden on road a bit before, but had zero off-road experience. I should have taken it easy with the YZ and stuck to easier terrain. I was hesitant but let myself get talked into it (very easily).

This was a good gut check on my skill level. I need to spend more time practising my skills.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Razzled posted:

That sucks, sorry about your hand man. Hope you recover fast, glad you're alright besides that.

When poo poo started going bad in that video it gave me a flashback-- that situation really sucks, things unfold so quickly

Thanks, but it wasn't that bad. I jumped back on my bike and rode back to the truck, and went and did a fairly competitive 5 day course the next day. It hasn't been fun but I feel lucky that it wasn't worse.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm convinced you could be wearing a shrieking siren and strobes and it wouldn't keep some people from hitting you. Might even increase the odds in some cases, judging by how often parked copcars get hit.

Hope you get treated well and heal up fast.

Yes, based on the experiences of my coworkers and friends. Police car driving with lights and sirens goes through a green light and almost gets hit by a car making a left turn. How in gods name someone can miss a police car with lights and sirens driving straight towards them, I will never understand.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It isn't just rich people. The number of people who just outright drive without licenses, registration, insurance or any of the three is staggering.

I see a lot of third and fourth convictions for driving while unauthorized (criminal) or operating motor vehicle without insurance (fine). And that's a $2875 fine here for the first offence. By the third offence I think it's $4500. But people still do it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

infraboy posted:

She was likely pretty intoxicated, not that it's an excuse, but i've been in a similar boat before, so call me empathetic.

If anything, her (possible) drinking should be an aggravating factor. She was irresponsible and dangerous enough to drink and drive.

She only deserves sympathy if she's an alcoholic and in that case she should lose her license until she's completed some residential treatment and is sober. I don't understand this attitude of acceptance towards drunk driving. There's no excuse for it and it kills people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Ugh so dreamy

• Locked thread