Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
leathers won't save you from going 200+ mph. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ari.gato posted:

What about the helmet being attached to the helmet lock on the bike by the seat, and having the bike dropped on the helmet? Most likely unusable?

If the outer shell is ripped, pinched or otherwise deformed, bin it. If the hard styrofoam inside has any dents, holes or rips, bin it. If you're not feeling safe anymore, bin it.

That what I go by. :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I went to pick up some parts for my bike an hour and half ride away, including crashbars. When I arrived I was too busy parking in a crappy spot, had a brain fart and forgot to put down the sidestand.

Welcome to Irony, population: me.

Just a mild rash on the plastics, a tiny scruff on the engine casing and front-end suspension slightly maladjusted. The rash complements the tear in the plastic pretty well, I think.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
SCORCHED EARTH

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Fraser CDN posted:

They are supposed to burn most of that off at the shop when you get new tires.

Uh, no? :confused:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Fraser CDN posted:

Im a motorcycle mechanic, you are supposed to do a burnout to get the oils off of it to make it less slippery.

Oil? I hope you're not talking about mold-release.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Cute walker.

(oh god I'm so sorry)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Glad you two got out with minor injuries. Getting in an accident is never good. :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I was on a group ride. Riding faster than anticipated but proud of my ability to keep up, when my phone started to ring endlessly. Scared of something bad happening to family I take an exit and find myself at a stoplight with a car beside me.

When we both get green, I take off rather quickly and the car too. With my new found :cool: I do not have the fear to understand that going really fast in a corner with a car next to me is really loving stupid.

For some reason I don't know I go wide and hit the car. it is not a hard corner, it didn't pinch, I had experienced worse ones just five minutes ago. I wobble, but do not fall. I stop by a nearby gas station and so does he. After examination his front right and my back wheel met, with no damage to either. He said "hey I drive around on the 'ring a lot where this stuff happens all the time, don't worry" and on that note we parted ways.

gently caress. Me.

I don't know why I went wide, I don't know why I couldn't stop myself from doing a dumb thing, and I'm seriously lucky that this ended with a dud. It is the second time on a local group ride that I do something monumentally stupid.

In hindsight, riding on the edge is no fun at all.

Oh, and nobody called me either. The phone decided to play my ringtone forever. First time this phone ever does something weird too. :/

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Nah, I definitely got spooked by the combination of speed and corner. I did not know the car's lower halfway lime green before he stopped afterwards.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Loucks posted:

I dropped my bike on myself in a parking lot because I don't know how kickstands work. Does that qualify me to post in here? Turns out my gear works great at 0mph. :v:

Congratulations, you're officially a motorcyclist now.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I've got my disc lock secured on my right pillion peg and if I don't see that bright yellow hanging off of it, dread overcomes me.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That was a nasty slide man, glad you're ok. :) What's up with the screws in the boot?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
At some point you should realize your eyes might need work too. ;)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SlightlyMadman posted:

I think most people just assume somebody else will do something about it.

You and everyone else.

edit: i need sleep.

karms fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 27, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
gently caress man not remembering what happened plus a hosed up helmet, that's some scary poo poo. :(

Let us know how the back stuff develops, ok?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Goddamn, that's about the best way to have a major crash. :aaa: So glad you two ended up with only minor rashes/bruises.

I never really had an opinion on deer, but now I do. gently caress deer.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

sildargod posted:

front braked mid turn and ooooh pretty sky.

This is actually not a bad thing at all. It is just that hard breaking requires a smooth application of front brakes (to teach yourself this: first you tighten your pinky, then your ring, then middle and at last your index finger). This takes less than a second, but gives the bike time to put some weight on the front. This gives the front more grip, so you can brake harder, et cetera until you dig a rut in the asphalt.

That is to say that the first step in an emergency stop from a turn is to straighten out the bike first, but that doesn't mean braking in a corner is always 100% wrong.

I'm willing to bet that you slammed the poo poo out of your brakes, making one or both of the wheels lock up instantly. :) Next time, don't do that.

karms fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 22, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

What's the date code on your tires? Bridgestone Battleaxes suck anyways, I've always hated those tires, and the OEM compound is stupid hard for more life. It's still your responsibility to ride within the limits of the tires, but those tires have always made me really uncomfortable.

These were the ones that came with my bike and they kept slipping on (wet) paint. Weird since it's "american market" rubber and I'm overseas, and they did not have a much higher longevity compared to other tyres.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M4rg4r1ne posted:

It's impossible not to ride like a grandma on my scooter and I still lowsided.

Cool grandma! :cool:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Jesus loving christ people, stop doing this. :( Stop being idiots, please.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

invision posted:

I ride 5-10 over everywhere. Cars passing me freaks me the gently caress out, and if I'm passing everyone I don't have to worry so much about someone running up behind me.

It's better to have traffic behind you instead of in front AND behind you. Staying with the pack on a highway is pretty dangerous because then you're playing traffic wack-a-mole. (ps you're the mole)

also don't forget about creating your own safety zone! Cars have crumple zones, you have thin air. use your acceleration to create space on all four corners so that you'll have some time if (when) some doofus tries to run you over.

Gnaghi posted:

As for lane splitting, I only do it on the highway.

You're Russian?!?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Divide things up so that the faster riders go first and the slower riders go after.

Don't you mean that the faster riders go in the back? Harmonica effect and all.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

americanzero4128 posted:

Wouldn't that make it so the slower riders in the front are being pushed to go faster by faster riders?

The leader (whoever is in front) sets the pace that everyone is comfortable with. Individuals slow down with corners, crossings and general traffic movements. This adds up though the riders, so that the last are the ones that slow down the most. To get back in formation, they need to be faster than the rest.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Anarchist posted:

a mostly clean brake

Eheh, usually the spelling error is made the other way round. :) Good luck on recovery mate.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I guess my question is whether or not there's ever been a case of a helmet surviving in a crash where it impacted, or if it's absolutely 100% certain to be ruined?

There is very little statistics on helmet crash survivability and even less hearsay. So that route is out.

Outer shell damage is pretty easy to spot. A crack, hole, mayor belt sanding action, etc. is very visible. However, eps foam damage is harder to spot, since you can't see internal damage from the outside. You need to x-ray the foam to check the integrity.

If you've bonked your helmet with a head in it, it is safe to assume SOME foam has been compressed. This alone would make the helmet unsafe.

Sorry to say that yes, you need a new helmet.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

VendaGoat posted:

I have a Stud/AC/Metal detector and it does pick up the plate.

I imagine you frantically rubbing a stud detector all over your naked body like a bipolar Mulder and it makes me happy.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Did you get anywhere with the daughter?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

mootmoot posted:

just to make sure people dont recognise me on it

This just makes me wonder if you're old enough to be allowed to use the irc.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hello! I crashed. Kind of.:downs:

I was filtering to a stopsign when it turned green, so I accelerated to catch an opening. Because my bike is a loving beast and absolutely not because a combination of stupidity, rain and paint I could not hang on and decided to do a last minute layer dan.

Casualties: mirror, left blinker. Crashed/cracked plastic on the left side to match the right, tweaked fork, a big rash on the exhaust and a bent gear lever round out the extensive damage. To my ego that is.

Oh and the left parts of my body are sore but who cares about that.

Luck would have it that an old neighbor was waiting in that same line on his bike. He helped me get up and running and is a nice chap. :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Saga posted:

Doh.

Don't you have a TDM?

Save yourself from future left handed exhaust woe and save a poo poo-ton of weight with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TDM-850-GPR-Exhaust-2in1-road-legal-/130376109406

If I'm going to spend money on this bike I would buy a g&g exhaust. So pretty.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ElMaligno posted:

One "Standard" drink is not by definition drunk driving, I would NOT trust myself to drive my motorcycle if I had only one "standard" drink but I would still drive my car. The reason being that while I may reasoning and physical ability is good enough for a car, it is not for a motorcycle.

Edit: In other words I have a zero tolerance policy on drinking while driving my motorcycle.

I'm allowed .02 promille in my blood which is like a quarter of beer. WOO PARTY TIMES

Xovaan posted:

Dude it's so true. I don't know what magic he puts into those things but I don't drink otherwise.

I'd like to try one of these famed margarita's. Is there technology to turn liquid into bytes yet? Could you send it.com to me over the internet? It shouldn't be hard since I only need about 25%. Thanks.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Wootcannon posted:

The thing I was also gonna ask is in relation to that guys comment. He'd been behind me earlier, and I'd got completely spatially disorientated. I was on a dual carriageway and couldn't keep track of the cats eyes or really see what lane I was in, the red and green cats eyes seemingly appeared out of nowhere, looking back I must have been weaving quite badly, and after I'd got off the carriageway, I was still having to slow down quite a bit when people came by with full beams because I'd get completely disorientated.

That sounds... incredibly dangerous. :stare: Were you tired? Do you suffer from night blindness?

About the diesel, yes it is more dirty in between car tracks but riding in the tracks themselves is not a panacea to diesel problems. When you are in the middle of having an accident the rule of thumb is to try and adjust inputs as little as possible; don't brake suddenly, shut off the gas, or start crying uncontrollably. Locking up means you've put too much brake and you need to ease of a little, and aim for where you want to go. Whether you have the wherewithal to actually modulate the rear is another thing entirely because fear tenses up the body like woah and you don't have the luxury of a few seconds to contemplate about it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Low speed drops thus far: tried to pass between two bollards with my panniers, resulting in my tank bag sounding the horn to let every German in the vicinity know what happened. Spooked by a speeding car while initiating a 90 degree turn in full touring kit and promptly parked it in the grass pannier first. Slowest drop ever. Filtering past some slow moving traffic while trying to simultaneously turn hard and accelerate on paint in the wet to catch a spot up ahead. It was immediate and my keys put a hole in my trousers.

It also fell of a cruiser lift while in a storm at night. It was already blowing when I told myself to continue in the morning.

In all honesty, none of those I could call beginner mistakes.

Don't go brand new for your first people.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Motorcycling is dangerous y'all.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was the Bonneville. Wish it had been the $800 Honda, but at least the damage seems pretty minimal. Also glad I was 1/4 mile from the dealer's shop, didn't have to try riding it anywhere or get a tow.

Edit: I've cleaned the knee as best I can and will bandage it shortly. It's really not bad, just a painful scrape. I'll grab a picture in a minute if I can take one that doesn't include my junk.

... your junk hangs that low?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
No no no you all misunderstand, he's like CAs wayne gretzky. Every time he tries to take a picture his balls always seem to find their way in to the frame.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Man, that's gonna wreck the weekly twister evenings. :( I'm sorry.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Mister Duck posted:

Yeah, riding with a friend who spent a couple of years in London has got me following him down the holes in traffic, despite it being illegal. I've decided I will eat the ticket if need be, I would rather be splitting. I don't filter at lights though, apart from lining up to do it in case someone doesn't stop. I find that doing it at lights invites a world of crazy road rage.

Since when is filtering in the UK illegal?

Edit: ah, you're both in the good old us of a. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

mootmoot posted:

You are delusional. They are the motorcycle equivalent of clogs.

gently caress you for hating on my heritage. :mad:

• Locked thread