Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

8ender posted:

Oh no, not that sweet GS. I didn't realize it got wrecked. I'm glad you're okay but how did the bike fare?

The '80GS550 was bent and rashed and needed quite a bit of TLC. New gas tank, new bars, new headlight bucket and ring, new left side pegs, and the buffing of some aluminum bits were required...

That winter though with some help from me doing the heavy lifting and breaking poo poo off, it was rebuilt into the GS550/650 hybrid that it is now.

If you look at the pics on Greg's crash page you'll see:
The blue and white '83 GS550E up front is mine.

The Toys For Tots run in 2006 I decided it would be a good idea to up and pitch the bike down I-290 about 2 miles from the exit we needed to get off at. We were riding, all was going well, then it started snowing. Then it started snowing harder as in Nerobro was only about 150 feet in front of me and the snow was covering his trail on the high way. The vehicles in front of us hit the brakes and so did I... the front ones...bad idea. Front wheel immediately locked and snapped to the left and pitched over to the same side. On the way down I managed to pile my chest into the stalk(no bars) and fracture a rib.

Total damage to the bike was a small dent in the tank and I snapped the clutch lever. I was wearing full gear at the time and the only piece that looks like it met pavement was the left shoulder on my Teknic touring jacket. I just scuffed up the pretty patches. Over the years it's developed a small hole on that side.

Lesson learned: When you know you won't have traction (any type of slick condition) don't grab a handful of the front brake, go 70% rear and 30% front.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WEAR YOUR GEAR...

About 4 hours ago a lady decided that she needed to pass a semi-truck. Unfortunately I was directly next to her passing her and the semi... The infamous no-look pull out. She nudged me pretty hard and I went down. I have no road rash but two busted ribs and a mild concussion...

BTW for all that loved and envied it, I have not seen the Bandit1250 yet... I was told the guy that picked it up rode it up the truck to haul it away... but at the same time they handed me my left mirror in the hospital...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

aventari posted:

Did she stop/someone get her plate?

The local sheriffs have her information, I supposedly put a 7 - 8 inch diameter dent in her car. The fun part is supposedly the bike and I flipped into the median and the oncoming traffic thought I was destined to meet them... So they all came to a sudden stop and I caused a 3 car pile up on the other side of the road... awesome that I am the mere thought of me coming at them I caused 3 other vehicles to wreck.

I'm hoping to get enough out of the settlement to try and buy a Bandit GT next time...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Who want's some bike carnage... you know you do...

The bike is/was a Suzuki Bandit 1250... Left over '08 model I bought in May of '09, had 15500 miles on it and all of the miles but 2 were put on it by me...

Article in the local paper:

quote:

A Dubuque man was injured Tuesday evening in a two-vehicle accident that led to another accident.
Stephen Lesiak, 34, was taken to Mercy Medical Center-Dubuque with minor injuries. He was treated and released.

According to the Dubuque County Sheriff's Department, Lesiak was northbound on a motorcycle in the left-hand lane of U.S. 151 just south of Dubuque around 4:30 p.m. when Christine Cahalan, 44, of Cedar Rapids, switched from the right to left lanes and struck the motorcycle.
Traffic was backed up going northbound, and southbound traffic slowed down. The department said southbound drivers trying to view the first accident caused a three-car chain reaction accident, which also slowed traffic.
Cahalan was cited for an improper lane change

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
They also have "SPOT"...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
In a rear wheel skid keep the back tire locked so you don't highside. Also try to stay as straight up as possible.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Nosbearatu posted:

Well I have gone 7 years with no accidents on any of my bikes, but that ended today. I was out on the great river road in Wisconsin, just starting out on my three day motorcycle trip down the Mississippi when I managed to hit a deer. I was coming down some gradual sweeping curves with steep drops on my right on my wife's CX500, when a deer jumped over the rail about 2 car lengths in front of me from a place down the hill that I couldn't see. I gave all the firm pressure on the brakes I could and did mt best "beer truck avoidance" swerve from MSF training. All was well since the deer froze in the lane but just as I was about sneak past in bolted in front of my bike and I smacked it square in the head and front shoulder at about 35mph. I stayed upright and pulled over to assess the damage, shattered headlight and bent bracket and a bent right front indicator. The deer's shoulder hit my right leg hard, but my gear protected me really well, I have a big bruise on my shin and a sprained ankle, but as the biker who stopped to help me drag the deer out of the road said, it could have been way worse if I wasn't paying attention. I actually turned around and rode the bike home and mechanically I don't have any problems. But I guess once I stop limping I need to head down to the salvage yard and look for a new headlight assembly.

I live "nearby" in Dubuque Iowa. If you need assistance, let me know.
Good luck and take the pain killer/anti-inflammatory of your choice before going to bed. When the adrenaline and all wears off you might need it.

If you're going to attempt this again soon, let me know and when you go through the Dubuque area I'll pick up lunch.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The BT45's are a good tire but the ones I had tended to get a bit hard in the cold. Avon sells the "roadrider" and Pirelli sells the "sport demons". I've had better luck with both those when it starts dipping below 45*f.

I put a set of Hagons on my GS450 and I like em. An alternative if you don't like Hagon is Gazi ( http://www.gazisuspension.com/ )

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 24, 2013

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Angryboot posted:

drat, xrays came back and she's got 2 fractured ribs. Guess I'm spending the night here.

Gonna hurt like hell but make sure she keeps breathing deeply. If you take shallow breaths as most folks are prone to do with broke ribs you stand the change of getting pneumonia relatively easy. (I've had busted ribs on five different occasions.) If she goes home but can't lay down/get back up after laying down, sleep in a recliner for a few days. Also, take it easy for a few days.

Good luck to her and you, heal up and "get back on the horse".

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Still a new rider try not to rush anything. I had the hardest time learning to ignore folks and take that deep breath and second or two before I tried again after a screw up. Smooth deliberate actions, unless you like doing tricks, then it's fast deliberate actions.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

Had a scare today...

Someone veered into my lane and I got forced over to the far left section of the lane.

I got forced into a giant rear end hole in the ground surrounding a manhole that was about 4 inches deep. I almost fell off the bike, but I held steady, but the drop was so bad that my bars shifted down on the riser and bent.

Best part I only installed the bars a month ago.

I guess its back to either bent GS500 stock bars, or bent Bikemaster Euro bars. :chanpop:

One of the reasons why I'm switching to an MX bar on my GS500.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

I was considering doing exactly the same thing. Did you use protaper bars?

Buying it this Monday at a local shop. Yeah I was wanting to go to a pro-taper bar, I think I'm stuck with the stock 7/8's (meaning it'll have a cross bar) though because the top triple has the bar clamp built in.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Debugario posted:

I actually remember seeing him in my mirror and flashed my brake lights a couple of times. Next thing I know I'm lying face down on the ground with no memory of the actual collision.

When you go through the insurance (yours or his) remember to claim any and all gear that got used/ruined. Usually for bikes they don't cover just the bike but all the gear too.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Decided to test out my new rearsets by sliding my bike up a hill on them. They took it like a champ, think I ground like an inch of metal off my foot peg. Was some combination of too far leaned over, too much gas, too much entry speed on an uphill left hander on my second track day. Everything was feeling great one second and the next I was watching my bike slide away from me while I skidded across the pavement after it. Had no injuries but the slide managed to mess with my clutch lever enough to where it wouldn't engage the switch so I couldn't convince it to start on the track, had to get towed off. I eventually got it started but I also somehow broke my front brake reservoir off its bracket. Might have been able to ziptie it back together but there was only 1 session left so we packed it in.

Total damage is skuffed up leathers, ground up clutch lever, ground up frame slider, ground up footpeg, and a broken front brake fluid reservoir. All in all pretty light really, did take a bit of paint off the tail but the plastics are fairly messed up on the bike anyway so no real loss. Someone caught it on their gopro so I should have a video later.

Glad it was a relatively uneventful crash. If you're just going to track the SV, you should probably just trim the wires going to the clutch cut off switch and short em together.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

EkardNT posted:

Went down yesterday, my first ever accident. Ironically it happened as I was coming home from checking out a prospective new bike. 30° slope + ice + touched the brakes approaching a stop. Friendly notice to Seattle goons, they don't salt the roads down in Auburn. It was so slick I fell down trying to get the bike back up. I felt a bit less embarrassed when a minivan did a 180° fishtail not five minutes after I got the bike to the side of the road.

I'm fine, one small scrape on a knee. Was not wearing riding pants like a fool. One mirror snapped off, front brake lever snapped in half, left blinker hanging by it's wire, bar pushed left in the retainer. Wasn't sure whether it was still rideable so decided to ride it home to test. I'm alive so idk. Funniest part is that hanging blinker kept working all the way, the little light that could. :3:

Bike is worth so little I don't want to submit an insurance claim or get it repaired myself, probably will sell it as parts bike or use it as a project. Anyone want a free banged up GS500?

All in all 4/10, was exciting enough but will not recommend.

If you part it out, I need carbs and body panels (not the fairing). My username at gmail if you want to contact me directly.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Beach Bum posted:

Someone goes the hard route to learn to pay attention.

Glad you're OK.

Are the forks actually bent or just tweaked in the triples? I've seen some extreme stuff where undoing the front end relaxed and straightened everything.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Aaaannd I got into an accident and wrecked the Bandit. Someone got off the freeway onto the frontage road and in the space of a few hundred feet went across three lanes then suddenly decided they needed to enter a parking lot, slammed on the brakes to make the right turn. As soon as they entered the lane they slammed on the brakes and I had someone behind and beside me, so there was no where to go. (she basically started the turn for the parking lot entrance from the middle lane.) I hit the brakes and slowed quite a bit, but at the very tail end I locked the front brakes and ended up on the ground. Bandit took a bunch or rash on the right side, I'm mostly OK, though I think I sprained my wrist and or broke my thumb. She is blaming the whole thing on me and because I didn't actually hit her car it's a "he said she said". She refused to exchange information at all and waited for about an hour for the cops to show up, then just said she was going to leave. Luckily with all the adrenaline pumping I didn't feel hurt yet and the first thing I did when i got up off the ground was take a picture of her license plate. I talked to the cops and gave them the pictuer and a quick description of what happened, we'll see how it plays out.

The take away for me is to practice braking a bit more near threshold and slow up a lot faster when folks cut into my lane. I was going to replace the pads on that bike this weekend too. Oh well.

The bike is still rideable if not pretty looking anymore.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Thanks for the well wishes. Just got back from the hospital. No bones are broken, but I gashed/wrenched my knee, caused chest wall trauma (feels like someone was doing CPR on me), sprained my right wrist a bit, and sprained/stretched the ligaments on my right thumb. All in all not too bad. Got some of the "good" drugs and a letter for 2 days off work.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

loving hell dude, glad you're not worse off.

Time to buy a BMW?

We'll see but unfortunately I ride a Bandit, which isn't worth much. I kept mine in good shape, the KBB value for it is only 4K though. Decent enough down payment, but I'd want a bit more before committing to a 22K bike (after all the bags and BS are added.)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

MomJeans420 posted:

No one else stopped and gave you their info?

The guy directly behind me gave me his name and phone number.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well, all's well that ends well more or less. Insurance gave me 4100 for the bike, and 1K for the gear. They covered the medical expenses and except for some nagging pain in my right thumb/wrist that's clearing daily, I think I'm mostly through it all. In addition to the officer not being very kind to the woman that caused the accident in the accident report itself, he drew up another form and gave her a misdemeanor for not sharing any of her information before she left.

Went on mu first fairly long continuous ride yesterday and my wrist hurt a bit an there was some stiffness, but cleared up after stretching and rolling my wrist a bit. Not to heal up some more, and save up for the next bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Chris Knight posted:

An email from the insurance company arrives!

Welp. :rip: ye olde Bandit.

That's two Bandits down, Progessive wrote mine off in April.

• Locked thread