Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I just bought Arx Fatalis and I was just wondering if anyone who have played this could give me some hints regarding character creation? Are there some skills that every character should have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bloodly posted:

In the case of the UK, we'll be glad to actually HAVE that expansion. It was never re-released. Indeed, I've never been sure that it was released at all over here-I remember Alpha Centauri being in the shops, but NEVER Alien Crossfire.
Man, I'd love to get my hands on Alien Crossfire but the piddly amount of copies that were released in scandinavia ensured that I never got my hands on it.

Am I the only one who wants to see more older games on GoG, with emphasis on the "old" aspect? It's a god thing to see Sands of Time and Rainbow Six but I'd be even happier to see stuff like the entire Microprose library or the Sierra Quest series on GoG.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right, they did mention they were trying to get games by Troika Games on GoG. Infogrames/Atari (who now own Microprose) may also decide to distribute on Steam or GoG just for the reason of getting some cash flow. (They've posted terrible losses the past couple years)
drat, if GoG were to secure the Troika and Microprose libraries I'd be in gaming heaven..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Just finished Arx Fatalis. Kinda sucks that the final boss was easier than the Ylsides. Overall a pretty fun if occasionally aggravating game.
I bought the game a few weeks ago and while it's a fun first person dungeon romp I still feel that it's a drat shame that the game doesn't hve a proper dialouge system.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
There's plenty of retards voting for new games in that list. You'd think that Good OLD Games would give some people a hint.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I always wanted to try Republic. Was it any decent or did it end up being way too ambitious for it's own good?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Looks like we're getting an actual good game tomorrow: Ground Control II
Meh, I always prefered the originial. I really disliked how throwaway your units was in GC2 compared to GC, where your veteran units were invaluable in the later stages of the campaign.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamnit GOG, start releasing some more RPG's and adventure games already.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, with Activision on GoG it's like the possibility to play so many great titles from my younger years will finally come true.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I was hoping for the Quest for Glory collection since the other Quest games were released the last weeks.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, could anyone who's played Aquanox give me the lowdown on it. Is it a free roamer such as the Privateer games or is it a more linear experience such as Tie Fighter or Freespace 1&2?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Holy poo poo, that is awesome. Thanks. Mucky Foot was one of the developers that held so much promise for me, shame they fell apart. I recall they made some cop game that was basically 3D GTA way before GTA3 came out, it was great and had really cool combat, along with shooting and driving.

Dudes had style to say the least, shame they never got it together.
Ah, good old Urban Chaos, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Chaos. I had this game but a few years ago it got ruined when my grandparents basement got flooded, along with a bunch of classic PC games. :(

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dominic White posted:

It's a pretty good hack n' slash adventure by the guys who went on to make Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness. I also recall reading somewhere that it had really good multiplayer - perhaps this'll see it getting a revival of sorts?
I love that if you play as the Goblin class in Enclave you get to hear him cuss in swedish all the time.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone who's human wants theme hospital. But it's bullfrog, which means that it's EA, and they'll pretty much never put a single game on GOG.
I still can't understand E.A for just letting all those great I.P's gather dust, without doing anything with them.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't understand corporate bullshit either but apparently if you're a multi-million dollar company you can only invest in multi-million dollar ideas. Film studios have smaller production companies to produce their "art house" films, same with television, and comic books/literature publishers have imprints for small press material and yet video games, despite being worth more than all entertainment mediums, can't handle creating a low-budget-high-yield product for whatever reason. Heaven forbid every video game must cost $100 million and have the most aggressive marketing campaign in the world.

If I were Take Two or EA or whatever I'd take an old video game, remake the entire thing piece by piece, update the graphics, and sell the poo poo on Steam for $20 or something with a note saying "Here's a faithful release, now shut the gently caress up!" I guess that's too difficult/costly/waste of resources/whatever.
The beast that is EA doesn't work like that. It's multi-million dollar investments or nothing, apparently.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

BigJoe posted:

Lionheart is most certainly NOT a Good Old Game. Seriously it is terrible, please do not buy it.
Yeah, I remember following the development of this game. I was really stoked for it but once it was released it pretty much dawned on me that this was an awesome setting that was being wasted on a terrible game. This was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever and to add insult to the injury this was the last game that Black Isle released.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
10 bucks for the entire QfG series? loving sold!

It's time for me to relive the late evenings of my childhood/early teens.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dragonrah posted:

I liked QfG 5, but it wasn't a great game. It also didn't help that it followed the 4th game which was a gaming masterpiece. Yes, you all heard me.
You won't hear any argument for me. QfG IV was a drat masterpiece in pretty much every way besides the combat.

Hell, I still remember the music from the game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

SpRahl posted:

Quest for Glory was far and above the best adventure game series to ever come out of Sierra and while they still contain interesting ways to die the number of dick moves the games pull is actually very low.
The QfG series is the most lenient of all the Sierra Quest games when it comes to rear end in a top hat death traps.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I take it that the Geneforge package on GoG is worth a purchase if you are into RPG's?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Some people in this thread take issue with the fact that some of the Good Games they put out aren't Old -- just imagine what they'd do if GOG stopped putting out Games! :ohdear:
It's not like they've stopped releasing old games. They've just branched out, which is pretty sensible. As long as GoG keep up with their policy of equal pricing worldwide and no DRM I'll keep buying from them.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I was not in the slightest bothered by the Disney acquisition of Lucas's toybox until now.

Disney likes to put things in "the Disney vault."
Frankly, Disney can't mishandle the Star Wars franchise as badly as George Lucas has done for the last decade.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I still remember the giant gently caress you that Realms of Arcania 3 had in the endgame for the player.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

Is legend of grimrock any good - looks like something akin to the old "warlock on fire top mountain" books I used to read as a kid
It's a giant love letter to the old dungeon crawlers such as the Eye of the Beholder and Wizardry series, if you are old enough to remember them. It's definitly worth a purchase if you have the slightest interest in this genre.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

illectro posted:

Pfft - I've had more fun playing Strike Suit Zero that I've had in any games for years, it's not a simulation by any means but that's fine the controls are simple, intuitive, fast and responsive, you always feel outnumbered and outmatched, even as you're swatting hostile fighters out of the sky.

Here's me playing the game (badly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urv0z7ZR3y8
I have to say that I'll probably bite on this and get the game since I've been hankering for a good space shooter for a few years now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Since the Telltale games are on sale I might as well ask if they are worth a look?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Looks like Shelter just dropped on GoG. I have to say that I haven't even heard about this game before but if it's close to the old Wolf and Lion games I played on the PC during the 90's then I might take the plunge and purchase it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, what's the verdict on the Daedalus sale this weekend? I'm kind of having my eyes on the Deponia and Dark Eye adventure games. Are they worth a shot for that pricing?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Deakul posted:

It's not an h-game by any means before you run away.

Total focus on political maneuvering and dialog choices.
You're essentially grooming this young queen into someone actually fit for the throne.
I'm probably going to get this game since I'm a total sucker for these kind of management RPG's. I just wish that this "genre" came with more flavours than "raise a cutesy anime girl".

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Rune's already on Steam and it works fine, so I hope not. Probably the likeliest candidate, though, unless it's something really obscure like Heimdall.
Are you sure? I can't recall Rune being on GoG. Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with Enclave?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

I like adventure games but Leisure Suit Larry seems too creepy for me to play.
Not sure if you care but they are pretty innocent, compared to some of the crap you find these days.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Aaaand Heroes of Might and Magic 5 was free for about 1 second..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Bwahaha, Jack Keane 2 is already a raging success.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gehenomm posted:

Counter is not moving, did the server die or something?
No, it's just a terrible deal..

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm just waiting for Riddick to come up for a sale now and then I'm a free man!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Is the Tales of Monkey Island worth a look at the current price?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Going back to Quest for Glory, I was planning on playing through all the games (sans the original versions of QFG 1 & 2). Is there a recommended build for a Fighter/Paladin character?
I always went with adding magic (and sometimes climbing as well) for my Fighter in QfG 1, since that gave you quite a lot of options on how you'd solve quests and battles.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

The MSJ posted:

New release:
Consortium: Master Edition. $11.99 for 48 hours.
http://www.gog.com/game/consortium_the_master_edition
I have to say that this looks pretty interesting. Do we have anyone here who played this?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, what's the general verdict on Capitalism 2? Is it worth a look if you enjoy management/strategy sims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Has anyone tried Battleworlds: Kronos? I'm kind of hankering for a strategy title but it looks somewhat uninspired so I'd appreciate some goon opinions before I get a copy.