Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m interested in playing the old tie fighter/x wing games; is it possible with a t160000m HOTAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really wish the old blizzard games (diablo 1, Warcraft 1 and 2) and the Mechwarrior games would get released on GOG. :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can’t possibly fathom people giving a poo poo about this. This post is the extent of my concern.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone remember a game called “Submarine Titans?” It got criticized for being another Starcraft clone, only it took place underwater. However I remember wanting to play it and thinking the graphics looked super detailed. I hope it comes to GOG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone able to get wing commander or the x wing games to run with a modern joystick? Is it worth giving a shot?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GOG is awesome; but where the gently caress is Mechwarrior 1-4? I hope 5 is good and supports VR.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kibayasu posted:

Probably beside Crimson Skies in Microsoft’s vault.

I forgot all about Crimson Skies! Never played it but remember reading the pc gamer review and thinking it looked dope.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As an addendum to my cries for MechWarrior on GOG, I also want to see the entire Earth/Starsiege/Tribes games released. If I'm not mistaken these are already freely available from the original devs, so why not give them a spit and polish for GOG?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

The current rights-holder has them all up for free download, yes. I believe they're just the raw ISO files, although Tribes 2 includes instructions on how to get it running on the fan-run Tribes Next network.

I think it’d be worth turning the ISOs into Win 10 supported installers with bonus goodies. I’d definitely pay $6-9 bucks for each one over downloading and messing with disc image files.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

I thought people were flipping out about the NES platformer that looked like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_%26_Warriors#/media/File:Wizards_%26_Warriors.png

I played this game and the sequel, which had Fabio on the cover.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was a Nintendo kid, but my fave platforming series was “jazz jackrabbit.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

It is fundamentally a roguelike with dying repeatedly, so if you're not into that, maybe no. I really like it. Here's an in-depth review by goon Too Shy Guy: https://goldplatedgames.com/2018/12/11/review-everspace/ and here's an archived stream of him playing it for the first time to check out the start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYkgisH6x3M

Something else about this game that might help make it worth it for some: it has VR and HOTAS support now. I've never played it but from gameplay vids it seems the VR support is solid.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is Heroes of Might & Magic 3 a good buy if I enjoyed the old original King's Bounty game?

HoMM 3 is awesome...however Steam has the new remastered edition with widescreen support. I haven’t played that version but it might now be the definitive version of that game. But yea, if you like Kings Bounty you’ll like HoMM3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

You're losing out on the expansions and mod support, though.

Oh, look at that, a mod that does the exact same thing. https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

Not interested in mods, but I didn't realize the remaster lost all the expansions. That's dumb! In that case yes, HoMM3 on GOG is good poo poo go get it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I never understood the hook and appeal of homm.

Get better units? Build stuff? Like civ 2 was 'throne room and nuke people', morrowind is 'levitate and punch a god to death'

HoMM has a solid mix of every turn being interesting because you're always just one turn away from grabbing a new resource, or building a new unit, or finding treasure. It's got a different rhythm to it than Civilization. Also the campaigns are long and have a lot of value and variety.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

It's really only Armageddon's Blade that adds new things, but it's pretty substantial. The Shadow of Death is just more maps and campaigns.

That may be true, but if you're gonna sell me a new edition of a game 15-20 years after release, it could at least have all the drat content that I probably already owned elsewhere. I actually eye-balled the remaster the other day and thought about buying it. Glad I didn't, since I already have the entire series on GOG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kanfy posted:

...2019 Polish HoMM III Championships...

This is the best thing I've read all day.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OhFunny posted:

Anyone play Divine Divinity?

From the videos I've watched it looks more like a 1 character CRPG than a Diablo ARPG.

It's more like a cross between Diablo 2 and Ultima 7. It's got the world interactivity and quest poo poo of an Ultima game, but it's realtime combat similar to Diablo. Hot tip: you can pause whenever you want in combat and clicking on an enemy will unpause. Because combat is fast and goofy you'll want to be pausing a lot. I've never finished the game but played enough of it to say it still looks pretty good! Since it also support widescreen, I recommend playing in 720p. That way you get proper graphics and UI scaling to fill your widescreen monitor, and things don't get too small. Also if the game runs/loads really slowly, just disable the 3d hardware graphics option. It still looks great, loads fast, and plays pretty good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mierenneuker posted:

If you somehow didn’t own Hitman: Blood Money yet, it’s now on GOG.

There’s also Absolution, but you can ignore it.

Does that mean all the old Hitman games are out on GOG now? I'm weird about game series and won't play one game unless I can get to the whole series.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes, the things that are not on GOG are more recent titles such as Hitman, Hitman season 2 and Hitman GO (originally a mobile title, a puzzle game).

As a fan of the series I would not encourage you to play most of the older games though. Codename 47 has terrible controls and I feel like it became unplayable the moment the sequel arrived. Silent Assassin was a massive improvement back then, but it has finicky AI and is quantity over quality when it comes to levels. Contracts was more refined in everything, but it is showing some rough edges these days. Blood Money is a classic, the culmination of the previous three games, and then some. Absolution was made after the original dev team was long gone and it tries too hard to deliver a gritty cinematic experience, instead of catering to the series’ strengths (sandbox levels).

Edit: Contracts’ levels are mostly remakes from the first game. It’s essentially the devs telling you “please don’t bother with Codename 47 ever again”.

I'll probably still futz with it out of some need to "have played the whole series" because I'm neurotic about playing video game sequels without playing the rest of the series. Even when the stories don't connect. Even if it's Final Fantasy. :negative:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve started using Playnite to consolidate all my game libraries and you can hide individual game icons and create categories for sorting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm still miffed that the MechWarrior series isn't up there yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Maybe they'll have MW5 and it'll not be a terrible battle royale thing!

A good MechWarrior 5 with Oculus support is my teen-dream game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

That's the 2001 remake, subtitled Ruins of My Hard-drive, not the original goldbox game.

I did a funny

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elias_Maluco posted:

Does anyone have any experience with BATTLETECH?

https://www.gog.com/game/battletech_game?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=wishlist_email_alert

Big discount today

Looks like the kind of stuff I like but the mixed reviews on gog are making me wary

I haven't played it, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard the experience is pretty drat faithful, and can be really fun. But it's also apparently very slow and tedious at times. This is only what I've read on it. Hopefully someone else can chime in, because I'm interested also.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a lover of Playnite I will absolutely be using this. Makes organizing my game library so much easier.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

elf help book posted:

I'm actually a tiny bit worried that another actual storefront doing what Playnite does could make other services restrict their API calls and break Playnite.

I suppose it's possible, but at the very least I don't think it'll be GOG that does it. Besides, one of the reasons gamers don't buy from certain platforms is because they want to keep their collection consolidated. Having GOG or Playnite put all your games together should theoretically mean more sales for everyone (except Steam.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are those Trails games really good? There's so many jrpg's on PC today that I can't figure out which ones are worth buying, unless it's a big name release like DQXI or a classic like Chrono Trigger.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel games are excellent and well worth your time. A lot of your time in CS's case, as both CS1 and CS2 each run around the 70-80+ hour mark for a regular playthrough.

Are they related to each other? Is there any party importing or continuation of characters? I love big-rear end RPGs where I can take my character from one game to the next.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OAquinas posted:

Stellaris is now on GOG Connect if you want to sync that up between services

Thanks for this! I'll be re-grabbing this when I get home!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since MechWarrior 1-4 are likely never coming to GoG, which of these games, if any, can be acquired and made to run on newer hardware? Bonus points for widescreen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, that was my thoughts. I'll either wait for the magical day that the MechWarrior days arrive on GOG, or just hold out hope that Mech 5 will be good. I know there are a few Mech games out there but the ones I've seen are all multiplayer only shooters, and me don't want that. Maybe I should just purchase Battletech finally.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the consensus on Diablo: Hellfire? Never played it, but as far as I understand, is just two completely optional dungeons, a new class and some color-swapped monster and spells.

Pretty much. The new tilesets don't quite fit the tone of the game and if I remember rightly it's about some weird aliens or something. But if you're playing Diablo 1 and you think "I wish there was more variety in the environments and such" then there's nothing wrong with it. It's also the first appearance of the Monk class.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aces High posted:

I think most of the mods for Diablo (or at least the ones that are still getting updates) were made through Hellfire, so there's that.

It also has 2 other classes and some other "cut content" that can be restored with registry finagling. There's fun, quirky things to be had in Hellfire

What are the 2 classes? I only remember 1: the monk.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

Amazon and Barbarian, they used the same sprites as the Rogue and Fighter classes.

Hang on, I definitely remember Hellfire having a monk class out of the box. Are the amazon and barb classes in addition to that?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elias_Maluco posted:

Any opinions on Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Reviews are very very mixed, in GoG and everywhere else

edit: Im a big fan of Planescape Torment, but havent played it in years

I liked the game quite a bit. It's weird and different and there's tons of goofy purple-prose or whatever the term is and you'll either roll your eyes at that, or embrace it. I just went with it and found the game to be fun and interesting. I believe I am in the minority though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't believe anyone really gives a poo poo what the cover is. It's kinda bland, sure, but I agree with the dude who said if this is all there is to criticize, they're doing good work. I can see this being something worth discussion for album covers, but not for video games. I can think of very few video game covers I actually thought were "good" in the first place.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good idea, a GOON GOG friend list! I think I’m the same name there as I am here. If not, then it’s tied to my old yahoo email: ripper66_99@yahoo.com

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just hide the dupes in Playnite manually and it works fine. As long as GOG works generally the same it’ll work out fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There's a newer/different version I used last week to do the mod installs called Knossos...or something like that. It's a really well done front end and I didn't need to manually download poo poo. It's on the Hardlight site.