Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Promo shots: Good poses, fits their aesthetic, good light. I would up exposure a bit (like half a stop) and they look pretty soft. Are you applying any sharpening in Lightroom or export sharpening? Could just be the browser/hosting compression though. Another thing to keep in mind for any promo shots is to give extra space around the artists for any poster or print layouts. The first one has good space on top for text, etc. I'd try to get a little wider on the sides and bottom to allow for crops as needed. Second shot same thing, if you could have gotten more space on top that'd make for a good layout as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Thanks for the feedback. It was such a blast. The Kids are Alright.

Sizing - crop sensor spacing issues definitely were on my mind during shooting but they seemed really happy with them.

I'm curious about the exposure stuff - Is it monitor difference? Seems to be a trend on all the photos of mine that you see. either that or I'm terrified of bright photos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

I'm curious about the exposure stuff - Is it monitor difference? Seems to be a trend on all the photos of mine that you see. either that or I'm terrified of bright photos.

I'm usually seeing them on an iPad Pro or MacBook Pro with brightness pretty high or maxed for reference. I think the darker moody tone fits generally, but I think everything in that post could come up at least 1/3rd a stop without losing that mood (or just boost the highlights as before). You can also check your histograms after editing to make sure things aren't falling too far left there and use that to gauge your monitor calibration accordingly.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 15, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm shooting Protest The Hero tonight in Toronto and I'm absolutely making GBS threads bricks about the First 3 rule.

12 minutes to get the closeups I want. I'm loving terrified.

I've only shot first 3 once and that was Acacia Strain and Fit For an Autopsy who have longer songs and it was only from the side stage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hah, I almost covered their show here in Florida for a friend last week! You’ll be fine, just move around whatever space you have continually and constantly reframe different members and compositions while shooting burst and you’ll end up with more than enough keepers.i had more photos last time i did first 3 than I usually get at a full set because I shot non stop and overshot, but it works (if your memory card has fast enough speed and your camera buffer is good).

Def bring your widest lens if it’s a small venue without a pit like the one here is.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hah, I almost covered their show here in Florida for a friend last week! You’ll be fine, def bring your widest lens if it’s a small venue without a pit like the one here is.

It's the opposite - it's the last stop on the tour, in their home city.

2500 cap nearly sold out.

Largest venue I've shot at so far was ~700 cap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh hell yeah, that’ll be a blast then.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

Hey thanks! Getting published must be absolutely frightening and daunting but that's so exciting! Do you have a link to the book or anything? I'd love to know more about it!

Just looked at your posts in the thread - I love your work with flash - are you bouncing off the ceiling or are you going direct with a diffuser bulb or are you just raw doggin' flash?

Getting published was frightening as gently caress. I've been working on my own for ages, shooting for me and for fun. And suddenly, it's official. Its hard to explain in a second language. I'm proud as hell.

I got links to the book on a Norwegian booksellers webstore. Its big and heavy, so international shipping is a bitch. But the publisher is trying to figure something out. But you can also see it on my Instagram @myscenesucks

Edit: forgot the link
https://www.ark.no/produkt/boker/dokumentar-og-faktaboker/my-scene-sucks-9788284640167

Runaway Legs fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Runaway Legs posted:

Getting published was frightening as gently caress. I've been working on my own for ages, shooting for me and for fun. And suddenly, it's official. Its hard to explain in a second language. I'm proud as hell.

I got links to the book on a Norwegian booksellers webstore. Its big and heavy, so international shipping is a bitch. But the publisher is trying to figure something out. But you can also see it on my Instagram @myscenesucks

Edit: forgot the link
https://www.ark.no/produkt/boker/dokumentar-og-faktaboker/my-scene-sucks-9788284640167

I instant followed you - your work is incredible.

Here's a select few from the Protest The Hero set - I ended up putting together about 80 photos and tossing them to Protest to see if they'll use or even comment on. They like my work enough to have given me a media pass in the first place so I dunno; we'll see. Big moment in my life when Tim recognized me as I was getting into the venue; it's very weird to have someone in your favourite band know who you are. I'm fanboying enough as it is.

And some separation for my new favourite photo I've ever taken:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nice! I think the blue wide shot 4th from the bottom is my favorite

And man, Arif looks real different these days :v:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Nice! I think the blue wide shot 4th from the bottom is my favorite

And man, Arif looks real different these days :v:

Yeah I'm super stoked with that one. That's the cover of the gallery I sent them haha.

What I would give to see Arif do his bow and arrow from Sequoia Throne... Hank is super cool too though! He was in The Human Abstract!

Thank you for the pep talk before - I was so nervous about the whole thing, I think overall I had 3 or 4 other photographers give me tips/pep talks throughout the day.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

I instant followed you - your work is incredible.

Appreciate it. I've been doing this for a long time now. It's about 17 years since I picked up a camera at a show for the first time. And you're seeing my few favorite shots on the Instagram. I've deleted a lot of duds and missed opportunities. I think that's probably my most important lesson learned; delete poo poo and rid yourself of the damning evidence. I'm not gonna be able to save it in post later. If a picture is bad, it's bad.

I've always shot bw. Partly because I loved Maximum RockNRoll, Slug & Lettuce, HeartattaCk and zines like that. And partly because I only shot shows with lovely lights, so colors were muddy and horrible.

You asked about my flash. I usually throw down the diffuser flap and do my best to bounce the light. But punks love their blacks, so sometimes I'll just nuke poo poo. I try to keep it as low as possible, but it's difficult.
This year I got a new camera, and a couple of my favorite haunts got better lights. So I haven't been shooting with a flash for some time. Just pushing ISO and playing with that. It's fun, but different.

And I know the feeling of realising that someone I'm a fan of turns out to like my work. That's amazing. At the launch party for my book I was signing a few copies to people that had my hands almost shaking.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Suppose I should follow up with the other bands I got from Friday night:

The Callous Daoboys opened up the show. Great act, very chaotic, very energetic. Great sound.

Moon Tooth then came on and only got one song in before Lee, the Guitarist had a seizure on stage and the show had to be stopped. He's dealing with Limbic Encephalitis. You can read more about it here:
https://www.metalsucks.net/2023/02/22/moon-tooth-to-make-their-triumphant-return-to-the-stage-this-may/

Covet made a special visit to Toronto and really set a nice math rock-y kind of vibe for Protest to Come in like Bulls and crash everything to smithereens. It was good.

Overall a great experience. Yearning to get back to my smaller more chaotic venues where the lighting is shitter and a bit more challenging. Let's try and squeeze blood from a stone. I can't get too comfortable with these amazing lighting set ups.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My favorite shots of the year:

And my favorite shots from my favorite tour (TWICE in LA, Houston, NYC, and Atlanta)

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Slotducks posted:

The Callous Daoboys opened up the show. Great act, very chaotic, very energetic. Great sound.

haha i can not imagine shooting in a pit for daoboys

This is my absolute favorite. love the framing of it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i got a used X100S thinking i would use it when i dont want to (or cant) lug around my full kit, and generally have entirely not done so!

finally bothered to use it for guerilla crowd shots of essentially unknown in the US, apparently quite popular in China outfit Wutiaoren (五條人): https://jakenewby.substack.com/p/soviet-pop-a-compilation-of-music#%C2%A7some-other-scenery-anti-pop-act-wutiaoren-go-to-harvard

it's eh, not bad. the AF is much better in concert lighting than id have thought. kinda too wide unless you can get right up next to the stage, which is generally not the case in SF (everything here is too drat crowded)

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 6, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
The trick is whatever lens you have, that's your sandbox. Don't think about what you could have been getting with a different lens, use the tool you have, push its properties to make creative shots.

If we were all allowed only to use a camera that took fish eye photos, how would you use the tools that you have 🧠 to differentiate yourself from all the other fish? 🐠

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I haven't been keeping up on the forums well enough these past few years and I definitely haven't been shooting nearly as many concerts post-pandemic but it looks like y'all are still taking some incredible pics.

Here're a few from the last ~6 months.

This is Madison McFerrin (Bobby McFerrin's daughter) and band at Pickathon outside of Portland this summer.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Here are some photos from the opening night of U2's residency at the "Sphere" in Las Vegas. I knew I wouldn't be able to bring my X-T5 in so I rented an x100v (own an x100t and shot a few U2 tours with it back in 2015 & 2017 so figured I would know my way around an x100v alright).

I was 2nd row dead center in general admission on the first night which lent itself well to some shots with fans in the foreground and then the second night I was about 4 rows back off to the side so I was able to shoot across the stage and get a better composition of the screen & seating.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
Those look sick! All with an x100???

drat I love those cameras

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
yup, all with the x100v. I wasn't excited about the focal length as it was kind of right in between being able to do the ginormous screen justice and being able to punch in on the band members better but it nailed auto-focus and spot metering and I was able to get creative with some crops and still retain a perfectly printable resolution.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First and last are esp killer. Really impressive that they came from the x100. I keep toying with the idea of trying the GFX line for concerts but the lack of longer lenses keeps me away.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to see The Nosferatu with Inkubus Sukkubus in support.

InkySukk

IMG_5612-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5650-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5641-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

The Nosferatu

IMG_5768-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

[
url=https://flic.kr/p/2pig7wG]IMG_5787-Edit-Edit.jpg[/url] by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5801-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shooting a sold out hardcore show at House of Blues tonight and trying to hype myself up for that atmosphere. Been about 12 years since I've shot that kinda show and from what I saw of last nights crowd it's going to be real rowdy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gideon & Zero 9:36 last night

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Erra

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wage War for the last set of the year

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Your concert photos are incredible.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Jesus. Yeah, that is what I aim to some day be able to do.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Massgrav visited my city and tore it a new one

And Avgrundsljud played support. loving great local band

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Odd Eye Circle. Shot 90% of this show on the 50mm 1.2 prime and love the look it gave me. Crop mode to punch in to 80mm, and super resolution in LR to crop in even more lets me almost get away with not bringing the 70-200.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Those are really nice. I'm really really jealous of your regular spots' lighting.

My regular spot is... Dark. These are photos from the first round of our local Battle of the Bands
Overall a really good evening for me, 3 out of the 4 bands paid for set photos after the event and that's not a bad way to start the year.

Winner of the evening: Feura

Dangersex:

A Little Leverage

Frantic Lullabies

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I actually haven't shot at the same venue twice in the past year, but the artists I'm shooting tend to have at least a stage lighting rig to go with the house lights. The problem then becomes the lighting designers flooding everything in color all the time just because they can haha. For darker venues though, I can't say enough good things about the 1.2 lenses though, absolutely gets shots other lenses can't. This was a fan photo I took outside the venue lit only by the marquee

Rumor is that canon is releasing a 35 1.2 and an ultrawide 1.2 this year, and those will absolutely be going in my bag.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I have a 35mm 1.8 in my bag that I use when it's really dark, but typically I'm rocking the 24-70 f 2.8

I'm REALLY right now to buying the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 with autofocus on it for $570 for those INSANE wide angle shots... I should rent it first though maybe if at all possible. Or find a used one.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Rokinon makes autos now?

Maybe I'm just thinking their cine lenses.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://store.sirui.com/products/sirui-sniper-series-f1-2-aps-c-autofocus-lens-set

Sirui has this new line, pretty slick if you shoot on APSC

second night with OEC

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Round 1 Night 2!
Brought out the flash for this one, all 4 were okay with flash so bring on the shutter drag! (I can't figure out how to make interesting flash photos without shutter drag imo)

The Bone Heads

Bluff

Napoleon (Winner)

Paradise Mayday

Felt super bad for Paradise Mayday who had to follow Napoleon -- who absolutely got out there and TORE up the place. Top 3 energetic acts I've seen so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Guitar tongue and drummer shots are my fav. Are you doing front or rear curtain flash? I forget which one I would use the most but it's fun to experiment with both. As for non-dragged shutter, try doing a hard backlight with the flash and shooting at 1/160 or 1/200, you can make your own killer silhouette or beam shots that way, especially if you shoot from back of crowd.

Also that ham shirt, :lol:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Front curtain - On camera, bouncing up off the ceiling as best as possible.

For your backlight idea, would that be with a remote flash?

Ham shirt has gotten a ton of comments lmao what a shirt. So glad these guys won, cause I get to shoot them again in Round 2 in Feb. They're probably going to win the thing, they're nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't realize you were all on camera. You can get a cheap universal trigger set, and it'd definitely open up a whole world of options for you.

This is one I did with a flash on an amp bouncing off the wall to the side in a near pitch black venue

Here's some I did with studio strobes up in the rafters, was cool to be able to do whatever I wanted for that show

One of my favs, my friends' daughter watching him from the side of the stage