Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I dropped my ride off at the garage today so they can install my new center stand. Ease of chain maintenance at last! I've been eyeing the belt driven BMW F800 that parks next to me a bit enviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It was a beautiful day in merrie olde englande todaye, so I went for a short ride to my cousin's place to pick up some mail, came back and gave the bike a goode olde sudsing. My wheels are blue again!
You can all blame me when it rains like hell tomorrow!
What's a good plastic cleaner/protector/water repeller that won't dull or ruin the plastic over time? I've got a bunch of textured charcoal coloured plastic bits on the bike that wax won't work on because of the texture.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I finally found (and fixed) this bastard short that has been blowing my fuses. Good timing too, since I'm off to Le Mans tomorrow morning!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

P.S., a broom, a flattened cardboard box, and a tarp make life so much easier when working on the sidewalk.

I'm a man of simple needs, the fact that it wasn't raining was good enough.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

best smelling gas is leaded VP race gas, fight me

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lead additives to gasoline are like the Toxoplasma gondii of the chemical world.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T-Square posted:

Behold:

(Ignore the weeds, I’ve been spending all my free time on this :v:)

What a beautiful piece of work! May I share it with some of my riding chums?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I put about 620km on my bike today. God I love mile munching on this thing. I'm so happy I bought it. It may actually be the best bike I've owned, for me, for what I like. I think it's a keeper.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A modern, well built, undamaged, not worn to poo poo hydraulic damper is basically a closed system, and there's no real reason to change the oil at regular intervals. That's why they don't put an interval in the service manual. How often do you change the oil in the dampers on your car?
The schedule is basically if your dampening has gone to poo poo, something is broken, so fix that and then replace the fluid or replace the forks if that's what's broken.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No, this is hilariously wrong.

1. The fork is not sealed, air and therefore moisture is routinely sucked in during normal operation. This is the reason dirt bikes come with air bleeder screws, they pump so quickly that the air build up inside can happen over just one ride and noticably change fork response

2. The graphite coated bushes in the fork deteriorate with normal operation, this is why heavily used fork oil is a grey sludge

3. The dampers in your car and in the back of your bike contain pressurized nitrogen in order to prevent the above problems

4. The fork oil suffers from shear just the same as gear oil, even in the absence of any contamination the molecular chains are broken up and lubrication properties are reduced

5. The dampers in your car are optimal for about 4-5 years before they no longer perform like they're meant to, you just don't notice it, ditto with your rear shock. Car shocks are also permanently sealed so you can't change the damping oil even if you wanted to

Thanks for correcting my shitpost, I was exactly thinking of nitrogen pressurized shocks and didn't realize that's not how the front ones are built.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Even if they were the oil would still deteriorate. Rear shocks with a nitrogen reservoir routinely get rebuilt every race meeting in professional teams because the deterioration is so rapid. Obviously road shocks are built to much lower expectations and function with far less finesse but the problem still exists; if you could ride two identical bikes with identical settings, but one has a shock with 30,000km, you would probably notice the difference.

Heat and friction don't stop existing when you get cavitation and air ingress out of the picture, the mechanical parts and oil itself will always wear, it just matters more in some situations than others eg I don't know of anyone changing their power steering fluid as routine maintenance but it deteriorates nonetheless, it's just not a relevant amount of deterioration.

Yeah, I don't mean it like "lifetime fluid" or something, just an "on condition" inspection. You don't do it as a matter of routine maintenance, but if someone comes in complaining of a spongy or harsh shock or something, you check and maybe replace the fluid. It might take one person 8 months to get to that state, it might take another person 5 years. If the same guy comes back 8 months later and the oil is hosed again, something is probably broken.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I washed it, finally. Got lost twice looking for the the only self service car wash in Greater Vancouver. Then I went in search of some twisty roads, found some, but also found some rain, because of course I did, I just washed the bike. Thankfully it wasn't bad and didn't soak the road yet, so no road spray.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Installed the finest, cheapest gear indicator that eBay had to offer.

Purposely put it out of view as I don't need to see it normally during riding, just want to be able to glance down to see if I'm in fifth or sixth.

There's an easier way to tell. Tap the gear lever up. If it didn't change gear, you're in 6th, if it did, you're now in 6th.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Red passione on every bolt.

It's just Italian QC. Build one, take it for a blast around the test track, then put loctite on every bolt that fell out on every subsequent bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

I'd like to torch the nuts of a lot of Harley compensators tbqh

I thought the Harley was the compensator.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

2006 Shiny Chromeboy, 2300 miles, never seen rain. Sees the pressure washer every weekend though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

ah, european california

The surf culture isn't quite as strong there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Engineering for the sake of engineering

Sometimes, but often it's just cheaper to put a mass produced pcb with some membrane switched in a mass produced injection moulded square box, like in the case of the Oxford heated grips.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dadbike... dadbike...

dadbike... dadbike...

dadbike... dadbike...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I think he's explaining the current wrong, unless I misheard. From what I can see: When centered, the ring rides on what appears to be an insulator. No current is flowing in this state.
Once it slips off the insulator, it makes contact with the curved bus bar.
When the ring hits the two raised copper bits, contact is made between bus bar 1 and 2. Current flows.

I didn't have volume on, but that's exacly what's happening.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You can tell me about Jesus all you like if you help me look for a circlip in this pile of leaves. I might even be inclined to listen if you actually find it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Is my top box a farkle if I chose the one I did specifically because it has more flat smooth surface for stickers than some of the other options I considered

Oh yeah. If you chose the rectangular aluminum one that somehow inexplicably weighs more than double its own rated capacity, that alone is farkle enough, but choosing it because you were thinking about all the National Park stickers or euro letters in ovals you can stick on it, you bet your rear end that's a farkle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Another fail at putting the rack on the Scrambler. The holes in the rack components don't line up with the ones in the frame, and 2 of the bigass bolts are either a hosed up size or just badly made, and I can't do em up even if the holes were the right distance apart. 6.5mm hex??? :ducati:

Quarter inch. :aircraft grade:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The above linked video is so close to perfect, and it would be if it didnt have the music.

Stick a good mic next to the bike and let that be the soundtrack

I think youtube has certain rules against commentary so laden with profanity it would make a sailor blush.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pilot Roads are still probably the best commuting tire for wet climates, but yeah I've got S22s on the gixxess and have ridden them on lovely broken cold wet mountain passes and torrential rain and they handled it fine, plus the handling is great. Michelin make amazing car tires.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I've never understood the tread pattern on those Pirellis. They seem like they'd just be terrible in the wet? It's my understanding tread pattern is primarily for water evacuation and then carcass flex.

They've got big channels to pump water out from under the tire though? What's weird about them?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The purpose of that tread pattern is to look super cool to old men and hipsters

On the Angel GT? I'm so confused.

E- I figured it out. When toe rag said "those Pirellis" I didnt realize he was referring to the phantoms, which I didn't know were Pirellis, because I can't read. Carry on.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KTM can have Michelins. Something needs to last more than a few thousand miles on them. Also there was that one Austrian chap that seemed quite keen on having a bit of France.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAHH having decided to take the Fireblade and having a great trip over the Alps, now the loving thing won't start.

I hssa dead battery before but this is slightly different there is a bunch of clicking from under the seat and then the CEL comes on.

Weak battery. Enough power to run the electronics, but as soon as there's a starter load, the start relay just chatters. You should be able to push start it in second gear.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I'm looking to bring 12V into my top casey anyone know of a nice waterproof connector that is panel mount on one side and a nice, sealable connector on the other? I'm thinking panel mount on the Givi, short pigtail with connector coming from under the seat, just tuck it under if not in use.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail...4hoCaZoQAvD_BwE

Lol, and also lmao.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is that a female to female pass through? :raise:

You can get male ones! (sold separately)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Worked on this today

Aprilia dorso 750

Never ridden one before, surprisingly fun! Not really at the same level of single minded commitment as a hypermotard but nonetheless a really good mix of civilized ease of use and zippy pitchy goodness

One of those was on my short list. I can't remember the exact reason I didn't go with one. I think the odd one for sale here locally were asking too much money, or possibly it was the lack of parts and service support that spooked me, or maybe some combination of that and more. I'd like to have a go on one, they tick a lot of boxes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yummycheese posted:

seems smart. a trackday buddy upgraded to an aprilla. Turns out every little thing is both expensive and difficult to source. an aftermarket rear shock was like decent percentage of the bikes msrp.

We were all just so used to there being a million ebay listings for Japanese bikes. forgot what it could be like.

Yeah, I had an Aprilia when I lived in England, but had a good dealer/mechanic down the street. I feel parts and expertise availability is less of a concern in Europe than some provincial outpost in Canada.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Oh that reminds me, I saw dry rot on my Vee's front tire.
Any recommendations for a good front tire for Pacific Northwest riding? Asphalt only.
I've got a Battlax 32 or something on the rear. It's got a bit more life, only 5400 miles

I don't know if they'd be right for you, but from experience, Bridgestone S22s corner really nicely and can shed a lot of rain.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Regardless, those look sick and I bet once they're on the bike you wont be able to tell

Especially once they're covered in brake dust and road grime!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm in the middle. How a bike looks is very important. Looking perfect isn't.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's going to backfire on them real bad when someone gets frustrated and just starts using the 13 mm on the 1/2" bolts

Using an adjustable wrench tends to have the same effect. (Also, anyone doing that kind of work is going to have the appropriate tools for the job available (and even still, Murphy resistant, not Murphy proof, is why you have a machinist on call))

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got it serviced.
If anyone in greater Vancouver needs bike servicing, I recommend True Grit Moto. One woman mobile mechanic business, kind of like Slavvy's setup I think. An old Grumman truck outfitted inside for bike servicing. She also has a garage now as well. Really great service and super convenient.
Found out my battery is toast the day of the appointment. Charger shows full but only good for one start. I had a suspicion when I put it on charge earlier. Charged up too fast.
She was going to sell me one but the one she got had a bad reaction and started bloating so she had keep it to return it. No matter, it's an easy thing to replace.
My tires are a little out of shape. Got a slight circumferential ridge, either from running them under inflated for too long (possible, I did do one longish ride with them a bit low last year, but she said extended periods, so not sure), or wonky fork oil (one side more viscous than the other). Either way they're 4 years old at this point, even thought they've got plenty of tread. I think I'll just run them for the season then get a new set in the autumn, and get my fork oil replaced and valves checked while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Put my new battery in, put a tank full of fresh gas in, installed my new Givi weightless 901 top box, went and got some snacks to test it out. It's a perfect complement to the bike, size-wise. It's super light weight, made from the stipply plastic like Samsonite carry on luggage is made from. The best part is that, when expanded, it fits my XL full face including visor, which is probably the only piece of luggage I've ever used that actually fits one of my orange-on-a-toothpick sized lids. Going to ride down to Seattle tomorrow. Weather is going to be great all week!