Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

benwards posted:

(and another cycle of oil through the drain and back into the engine again).

Ah, just hang it upside down so the oil stays in! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
started the KLR for the first time in almost a year. I'm a bad parent. Think I oughta clean the carb - it took a bunch of spins on a freshly charged batt to get it thumping, and it had been difficult to start in the cold even when I was riding it regularly - or at least more difficult than usual.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's what I ended up doing, you don't even have to take the CCT out, just the 12mm bolt & spring. Maint on KLR's is so simple it's almost like working on lawnmowers.

They sure sound like lawnmowers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
1300 km circle route over two days. Not Iron Butt material, but not bad for me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

What is the point of the Iron Butt? The more distance rides I do, the more I question people who brag about Iron Butt. Covering 1000 miles in 24 hours doesn't lend itself to enjoyable riding.

Saturday was one of my longest days in the saddle in terms of both distance and time, and I put in a little over 400 miles. It's just amazing to me that there are people who easily do double, and on better roads with less deer on them.

e: well maybe not easily, but you get what I mean.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Physically reinstalled the carb and hoses on the KLR. Tomorrow, the rest of the running gear and a power test.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Restarted the KLR, seems to run ok (while stopped, not under load yet). Need a couple of bolts for the tank. Changed the oil. Goal for the weekend is to get everything to an approximation of clean and shiny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally got the panels back on the KLR after a year. On Friday, in it goes to the shop to get the recall work done on the turn signals, one of which is already dangling.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Suzuki: changed the brake fluid, blew out the air filter, gave it a bit of a wash. There's a fair amount of stuff to take off to get at the filter. At least the panels bolt up real easy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rode back from the Kootenays and oiled my chain as soon as I got in the door. Looks like the new brake fluid is holding up, and the front actually seems a little stiffer. So that's another thing I apparently can do sort of alright. Cool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The satin silver on black is pretty awesome-lookin'.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gave the Strom its first plug change. The front center plug is kind of a grind but it ain't the worst thing in the world. Also I found out that even if a bolt runs through a rubber mounting, it in fact cannot be tightened an arbitrary number of turns! Go figure, eh. (Fortunately I didn't strip anything, it broke off with enough shaft sticking out that I could throw a vicegrips on it and turn it out by hand. Dodged a bullet.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Punched the old chain apart, hauled it off, swapped the sprockets front and rear. Stopped short of putting the new chain on because I munged the lockwasher for the countershaft sprocket, and don't have a fresh one. So instead I put the crash bars back on with a healthy dollop of silicone on the "bean" where the two sides meet, otherwise the bars vibrate like crazy.

The chain tool works like hot drat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So far *fingers crossed* I've never stripped the oil pan bolt. I've twisted off other bolts while still in the bore, but never the oil pan. Maybe it's cause I've got weak little noodle arms.

I got a process:

Is it tight?
Yes.
Could it go tighter?
Quick check - Yes.
Does it feel like an honest tighter or does it feel like you're gonna have an expensive bout of swearing?
Either.
GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM THAT BOLT YOU GORILLA IT'S TIGHT ENOUGH.

Anyway I got the Strom away for the winter, though I'll want to locate some gas to throw in the tank. Battery's unhooked, I've learned that lesson :[

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

McMaster-Carr is a great place to get oddball fasteners like these, though depending on the bolt size you may end up with a pack of 25 even if you only need 2. Plus they'll sell you the individual bit or driver you need for whatever screw size you get.

[/overkill]

McMaster-Carr is intense. It's what I imagine the Sears catalogue was like back in the homesteader days, only with less prefab houses and more welding gear. Plus you could kill a dude with the book.

So on Sunday I changed the oil, checked the battery (completely charged), checked bolts, checked lube points, aired the tires and rode around the neighborhood for ten minutes. First of the year, baby!

It's been snowing since Sunday night.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's been above 10ºC for four days consecutively. Nothing today, but starting Monday, I riiiide.

Next up for maintenance: New brake pads!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

The wife's R1150, on the other hand...jesus. She'll finish those before I finish an oil change. It's pretty uncanny.

There's nothin' uncanny about quick valve adjustments on a bike where the valve covers double as frame sliders

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put some dust on it. I realized that the strom's seen maybe about five minutes of gravel road, so I gave it another hour or so down this highway that scared the bejesus out of me when I was a noob on a KLR, but objectively is like one step up in offensiveness from hard-packed dry earth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

No one can fault the mans tenacity and lack of economical sense. This time it was just a probation though?

You'd think an engineer would have a better sense of cost-to-benefit

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Nah, that way is fine. The speed bleeders mean you don't need to crack and uncrack the bleeder each time.

They're just check valves. It's a really good idea, though - how much do they cost compared to a standard set of bleed valves?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Changed brake pads, finished just before it got dark. Tomorrow I test 'em out

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Braked the poo poo out of the new pads just after it rained. Nearly washed the front out, so that was fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey Blaster how you been

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took it out for the first time in a couple weeks. Washed it. Rolled 25000 km.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The DL is lagered at the dealer; I had it in for the big valve check service and to replace the steering head bearings that I kept skiving off on, and they found play in the swingarm bearings, which is either a purchase of some specialized tools, or a fabrication of the same. So they're doing that too.

God I need a place with a garage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeoutch. that's an afternoon and a case of beer for someone with a garage.
but i'm sure it's several hundred dollhairs at the stealership

Yeah man. Correction: I need a garage, or a friend with a garage I can take over for a couple of days if I screw something up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Generally, Alberta. The work's getting done, I wouldn't be riding for a few days anyway. I was mainly just grousing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Going to drop the front wheel and regrease my speedo pickup today. It's been chirping and I'm kinda worried about it seizing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aired the tires, cranked it over and dusted it off. Like, literally dusted, it's been in a parking garage all winter and I took a swiffer to it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
New tire day IS best day. I'mma pick em up from Fedex office at lunch. (Bastards never even got out of the truck yesterday.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the wheels off and left it propped up on the centerstand in the garage. Gonna get my PR3's put on tomorrow!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sunday:

Backed my car out
Wheeled the bike out
Reparked my car
Tried to start the bike
No power (it kicked right over back in March)
Swore
Tried to bumpstart it in the parking garage
Succeeded only in skidding the rear wheel
Swore
Backed my car out
Turned the car off
Got the jumper cables
Took the seat off
Hooked up the cables
Nothing
Hooked up the cables correctly
Boosted the bike
Took the cables off started the car parked the car put the seat on put my gear on got on the bike
Left the garage
Rode down street
It's blocked for construction
Rode down street the other way
Noticed my mirror was jacked up from when I let it off the centerstand last time and it tapped the wall
Fixed mirror
Nudged killswitch while fixing mirror
Tried to start bike
No power
Swore
Walked bike across intersection and onto sidewalk
Start walking it home
Downhill
Sit on bike and waddle it downhill
Try bumpstarting it
CHUG Chug chug pop
Try it again but faster
CHUG CHUG CHUG chug pop
Third time's the fuckin' charm
CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUGCHUGCHUGCHUG VROOM
Get off the sidewalk
Baby it home
Turn off the bike
Pull the car out
Park the bike
Throw my gear in the car
Go run errands I had planned to run on the bike
Pull battery that evening
Trickle charge it overnight
Waiting til Thursday to see if I need a new battery

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I know. There's no plugins in the garage but I should have just yanked it earlier this winter. *mopes, kicks stone*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

Money is no object. I have read that in Canada/Europe you can order from Yamaha a bracket that allows you to mount the FJR bags.

Bah, maybe Givi is the way to go. Will saddle bags interfere with riding with a passenger?

They shouldn't, though with larger bags your pillion might be touching the bags with their thighs/calves, and maybe have some difficulty swinging a leg over.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Changed the oil and filter, lubed the chain, hit one corner on the ride home that didn't make me feel like a complete rusty bozo.

This is the first time changing a filter that I've ever had to stab it with a screwdriver to get it started turning.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

A strap wrench will never fail you if it fits the filter right and you position it at the base of the filter rather than mid/top where if the filter is ultra tight you're going to just crush the filter.

Yeah, that was the problem. I've changed my own oil on this bike since I bought it, just this time I was working with borrowed tools in the shop at work 'cause I couldn't find my own strap wrench and filter socket. The rubber strap wrench I was using, I had a hard time getting it all the way down the filter, so I ended up crushing the nose of it just like you say. So I stabbed it and got like ten degrees of turn out of it, then worked it off the rest of the way with the strap wrench.

The nut on the K&N would actually work really great here, as the SV/Vstrom motor sticks the filter right out the front into clear air.

Also, Suzuki's spec for the OEM filters is bugnut tight. "Make contact with the filter's o-ring against the seat, then give the filter two full turns."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

Got some fresh rubber installed on the ninja. Most uncomfortable 15 miles of my life :flaccid:

Would you say the position you were in was... tiring?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Poor little guy. :( On the bright side, it's not endangered, and you didn't smoke a kakapo or something like that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Unhooked the battery, took off the sidecases, greased the chain, put on the cover and the disc lock.

This winter/next year:

Fresh oil
New brakelines
Get the rear shock checked out/resprung if possible/replaced if neccessary. I don't think VStrom shocks are rebuildable.
Actually wash the drat thing, & maybe degrime the swingarm, back wheel, & front sprocket cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday, did an oil change, air filter change, and put Intiminators in the front forks. Not a difficult job at all, but it took me a long-rear end time - trying to go slow and be methodical, because a. it was my first time ever taking the forks off the bike, and b. I did it in the shop at work because I don't have a garage or even a proper driveway, so if I hosed anything up I was cabbing home.

They've eliminated a ton of brake dive, and seem to be less jarring over parking lot speed bumps.

Next is replacing the brake pads and rotors. Could have done the front when the wheel was off yesterday, but that would have taken even longer, and I'm leery of doing more than one big change at a time.