Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What I did to my ride: checked tyre pressure on the Fireblade (still at 2.5 since November) and rode it to work. 2.5°C and I couldn't find a buff so my neck got pretty cold.

Such a good bike though, I took the lake road near work and had a bit of a blast. It's so precise and absurd amount of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got around to fitting the rack to my Scrambler today. Despite being OEM the holes in the rack arms don't line up with the ones in the frame, so I bought a dremel yesterday and modified the rack today.

The OEM top box is very big and boxy so I got a Givi top plate and 30L aluminium monokey box. They're both black as well which goes better with the bike. I drilled holes in the plate to match, went on nicely and I'm happy with the result.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For a 20 year old bike that looks in decent nick to me. I remember trying to swap the exhaust headers on my CBR600FX when it was maybe 7 years old and the first stud just sheared off like it was cheese.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I attempted to put speed bleeders on the Fireblade instead of the standard things and failed: right diameter, wrong thread pitch. Still, changed the brake fluid front and rear. The fluid that came out looked pretty fine tbh.

Then took it for a spin today, such a great bike. I normally find myself reaching for the Scrambler keys because it's so easy to ride in town and convenient, but the Honda is just so precise and a real blast to ride.

Next to a big wooden sausage:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nice job, looks much better 👍

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I fabricobbled together a GPS mount from the one that comes with the Garmin and a SP Connect phone case. It was pretty annoying and I had to trim down a few bolts. It's bolted and epoxied together, seems solid anyway.

Got a net to go inside the top box. It should really come with this poo poo

Givi sell a couple of soft back rest things to attach to the box. A bit disappointingly they're just self adhesive and also look bit dorky.

I made a cable for tying up my helmet, just a deterrent rather than anything else.

This is all so I can go swimming, busy down by the lake today

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah my 1999 CBR600F had a hook under the seat you could stick through a D-ring, but no bike I've had since then has had one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

And last of all I did a shock upgrade

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAHH having decided to take the Fireblade and having a great trip over the Alps, now the loving thing won't start.

I hssa dead battery before but this is slightly different there is a bunch of clicking from under the seat and then the CEL comes on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Good point I'll give bump starting it a go. Fortunately I'm on a massive hill so no pushing needed.

Gratuitous Lugano shot:

Guess I'll need to call around garages and see if one has the right battery. I'm here for a conference and need to get back up the hill in the afternoon for a sneaky interview. The worst time for this to happen.

Should I just disconnect the bike batteries completely over winter?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Both bikes have been on a charger all winter.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Also can you please tell us what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps?

Lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Toe Rag posted:

Palm trees in the alps boggles my mind.

Lugano isn't really the Alps, more "Italian Lakes" though still in Switzerland, and Italian climate. It's between Lago Como (which is particularly nice and worth a visit) and Lago Maggiore.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

u p d a t e

I called the various Honda garages nearby with no luck getting a replacement battery in < 1 week. I decided to roll the dice with a little shop I bought an emergency rain jacket from in 2019: success! Delivery tomorrow/Friday and he even gave me a discount.

Yuasa batteries are not cheap

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm a long way from home and don't have a charger, or even a proper parking space. And I need to go home on Sunday.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

Just get an optimate charger next time. You literally cannot gently caress up a battery if it's getting tended by an optimate charger. Any of their range will do.

My bikes have been on this optimate through the winter

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

New battery, showing 12.4V on the bike's internal meter. It started right up.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't trust the bike's internal meter either though. Test it with a multimeter in all the different circumstances (out of circuit, in circuit bike off, bike on headlight off, headlight on, while starting, engine running at idle, engine running at 5000 RPM) to get a good idea of how it's actually performing.

Or just ride it because it's a brand new AGM battery and it's fine.

Yeah I don't have anything beyond my tiny toolkit so testing voltages is going to have to wait.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm not anti-GPS but that thing looks like there will be a lot of potential/temptation to gently caress around with it while you're riding.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gave the Scrambler a wash (maybe the first time ever?) and then took it for a spin to dry it off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I needed some new tyres so took the Fireblade into the shop, and had them do an annual service (excluding the brake fluid which I'd already done). 967 loving CHF! The tyres especially were overpriced compared to online prices. Ah well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ah also I have a couple of outstanding items:

I asked the Ducati garage to fix the intermittent fault on the Scrambler's neutral light. They didn't. What's the approach to diagnosing this? I think the bike is now out of warranty.

I forgot to ask the Honda garage to look at the headlight main beam switch on the left handlebar control unit. It was working intermittently and now not working at all so I think there's just a fault with the switch. I'm tempted to just take it back in and asking them to deal with it but it will be expensive. Are the switch units easily serviceable / am I likely to be able to repair it? Or is this usually a replace the unit job?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The right bag is going to get pretty warm sitting in the exhaust outflow.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

After a lot of loving around I've managed to get my Alpinestars Tech Air 10 airbag suit working. It turned out the detachable indicator LED panel was defective and preventing the whole thing from working. Not very confidence inspiring but it's going through its checks properly and recording trips in the app so I guess it's OK.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well yes but the options for good airbag systems are both Italian so 🤷‍♂️

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

From what the Alpinestars support people said, in my case at least they think the display panel had got sufficiently discharged it wouldn't do anything at all. Having said that I believe it's supposed to function without the display and the suit itself was at 0% and wouldn't charge at all from what I could tell.

I ended up buying a replacement screen and it worked more or less straight away. The screen comes off and tucks in a little pocket in the suit which is nice.

I was late to work just now because it took so long putting all the gear on. Lol.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Stopped off at a scenic castle on the way home

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There also doesn't seem to be an easy way to get a pdf of the workshop manual for recent ducatis.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've finally got both of my wheels... and they're slightly different colours. gently caress. It'll probably look OK on the bike but I'll know, and now so will the internet.

The front disc is the SC77 type. Pics of SC59s all have a rim tape design, though obvs could have been removed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah there is a local place that can powder coat them, I'll see what the Swiss tax looks like. Agreed it will be difficult to spot but the rest of the bike is in good nick and it will annoy me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

I've finally got both of my wheels... and they're slightly different colours. gently caress. It'll probably look OK on the bike but I'll know, and now so will the internet.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it cost me $150 all in to have my wheels powder-coated.

I got around to speaking to the powder coating place and they want CHF 360 per wheel which is too much of a rip-off even for Switzerland. The body shop I used for my car said they can repaint wheels so maybe they'll be a bit cheaper.. but I guess maybe I'll just have to stick with the slight mismatch in colours.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

I went to reinstall my battery that I had on a tender and promptly lost the nut holding one of the leads in the bowels of whatever is below the battery cradle. :bahgawd:

Classic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sunny day yesterday so I took the Fireblade out of hibernation to get to work. So much fun, but also very difficult keeping anywhere near the speed limit. My route to the office is mostly autoroute which sucks on the Scrambler.

I really want a DesertX but my head is saying Multistrada V2S.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is so fuckin lame. Who gives a poo poo, just let people have the bike they want.

Nobody moans when someone buys a fast car that they don't drive it around at 99% all the time. It's fine, people like nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've had a rear seat cover off ebay in my cellar for multiple years, the loving thing wouldn't ever fit even after I attacked it with the Dremel. I decided to take a Stanley knife to it for one last try and have managed to get it to work.

The OEM honda ones are apparently unobtainable.

I also picked up some R&G blanking plates for the rear pegs and stuck those on. They have tie down loops which is pretty nice.

The bike is looking pretty good imo. Going to get round to swapping the gold wheels on shortly.