Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Basically every Aprilia I encounter, I can't really think of a reason you'd want it over the equivalent Ducati

I was gonna say "cost," given that they depreciate like mad, but since switching from an Aprilia to a Ducati I've found the difference in purchase price for a 2000s era bike is cancelled out by being able to source reasonably priced parts quickly and easily ... so I guess yeah, fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Does your bike have rebound in one and compression in the other?

Nope, one side is just a spring :shrug: There's a fiche diagram of each fork internals in the quoted post. Although it dawned on me while the damped fork feels OK to me, a rube, I realized it needs to have twice as much damping since the other side has nothing. Anyway I fixed my garage door and had the shop change out the springs and oil. The OE springs are 11 N/mm, and the new springs are 14 N/mm. With 118mm of travel, math tells me the bike is still underrsprung. He reduced the air gap from 130mm to 100mm to help resist bottoming out. He said the cartridge was sealed so he didn't look at the valving. Does this mean it's non serviceable, sort of like a cheap shock?

Anyway, I swapped out the OE shock for a YSS shock since they are the only manufacturer who even makes one for this bike. It was actually pretty easy to do. It probably took me about 2 hours all in, but if you know what you are doing you probably could have done it in 30 minutes. Despite being a cheap bike it was designed with the bolts easily accessible. Even where there was a wiring loom in they way, they put little connectors so you could get easy access.

I also took off the passenger pegs since I never ride with a passenger, and they are in the way of my heel, since I put on rearsets.

Before:

After (the shock reservoir is clear from my heel, even though it doesn't look like it!):

Other side. This dumb exhaust hanger cost like $90 :negative:

The bozo at the dealership ordered the wrong air filter. I'm guessing this is for a CBR300, not CB300R :argh: So annoying because I am just trying to support the shop when it is easier and faster to order online, and it would have been the right filter.

Lastly I changed out the generic tank grips I cut from something to ones from R&G which are "designed" for the bike since I had to order that exhaust hanger anyway. I put on a new rear tire since the wear was kind of bad and uneven. The front seems OK so I left it!

All back together. I'm going to Laguna Seca tomorrow, so hopefully it doesn't fall apart.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Is it placebo, or did replacing my 24k mile old chain make the shifting feel crisp and super responsive, and just general feeling of "better" with the bike in general

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

depends, did you do an oil change at the same time?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Nope, one side is just a spring :shrug: There's a fiche diagram of each fork internals in the quoted post. Although it dawned on me while the damped fork feels OK to me, a rube, I realized it needs to have twice as much damping since the other side has nothing. Anyway I fixed my garage door and had the shop change out the springs and oil. The OE springs are 11 N/mm, and the new springs are 14 N/mm. With 118mm of travel, math tells me the bike is still underrsprung. He reduced the air gap from 130mm to 100mm to help resist bottoming out. He said the cartridge was sealed so he didn't look at the valving. Does this mean it's non serviceable, sort of like a cheap shock?

I would not get super hung up on numbers when it comes to that stuff. Numbers lie and cheat and sell you a bridge in London, only trust your fists feels. The bike may be undersprung when braking perfectly upright, but will likely be better in other areas, it is a compromise and there is no absolutely correct number. It is possible to take apart some 'sealed' cartridges depending on how much effort and know-how you're willing to put in, in your situation there is likely a drop-in insert that replaces the whole rod and everything. Regardless with damping there is even less of a right number than springing, you really need to establish exactly what you want the bike to do differently, you won't get anywhere just trying to make it better in some vague generalised way.

Just moving to an aftermarket shock will drastically open up your setup options so you can fool around with stuff and see what sort of behaviour you prefer, the vast majority of setup changes are done with the rear anyway. It sets the general tone of the bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

And on my vfr one of the rails of my rear rack is cracked.. See at the rear bolt on the grab handle. Its completely separated. Not sure when it happened. I don't have any detail photos of that area for some months.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

The bozo at the dealership ordered the wrong air filter. I'm guessing this is for a CBR300, not CB300R :argh: So annoying because I am just trying to support the shop when it is easier and faster to order online, and it would have been the right filter.
In the shop's defense Honda's naming scheme is stupid and seems designed to be confusing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I left my ride in the garage today because it's pouring buckets. Standing water on road ways.

Anyways, yesterday I fixed the front brake on the KLX300R.
Took it out and after only 2.6 miles, kid slid into a tree + rock and busted the flywheel cover. About 80% of the engine oil ended up on the trail right there.
My bad for not putting the skid plate back on yet.
The new cover is ordered and at $170 + $20 for the gasket isn't too bad, but drat. Once again my laziness costs me money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

I left my ride in the garage today because my knee is killing me and I dont think bending it around a motorcycle will help things

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gave up on finding a set of Angel GTs in A Spec for the FJR, they just don't exist right now and I'm guessing won't until the spring, so I splashed out for a set of Road 6 GTs. They are a massive improvement over the cupped and worn Contis that came on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

opengl posted:

Gave up on finding a set of Angel GTs in A Spec for the FJR, they just don't exist right now and I'm guessing won't until the spring, so I splashed out for a set of Road 6 GTs. They are a massive improvement over the cupped and worn Contis that came on it.

Oh that reminds me, I saw dry rot on my Vee's front tire.
Any recommendations for a good front tire for Pacific Northwest riding? Asphalt only.
I've got a Battlax 32 or something on the rear. It's got a bit more life, only 5400 miles

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Any recommendations for a good front tire for Pacific Northwest riding? Asphalt only.
I've got a Battlax 32 or something on the rear. It's got a bit more life, only 5400 miles

I don't know if they'd be right for you, but from experience, Bridgestone S22s corner really nicely and can shed a lot of rain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I would suggest a Bridgestone something on the front, mixing tyre brands usually leads to bullshit handling behaviour

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I took a garage remote, took it apart, added a voltage step down, and wired it up to the horn, so now I can open the garage with the horn, best thing ever, not shown, shrink wrap and hot glue to fill in the gaps.

I also finally got heated grips installed, should get me more riding time this year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One weird trick your neighbours hate!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I think the more neighbor friendly method is to wire it up to your high beams but I'd imagine you'd want some sort of timeout on it so you don't nuke the opener by having it on full time whenever your brights are on.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I just put my remote in my jacket chest pocket and press it through the fabric

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I would not get super hung up on numbers when it comes to that stuff. Numbers lie and cheat and sell you a bridge in London, only trust your fists feels. The bike may be undersprung when braking perfectly upright, but will likely be better in other areas, it is a compromise and there is no absolutely correct number. It is possible to take apart some 'sealed' cartridges depending on how much effort and know-how you're willing to put in, in your situation there is likely a drop-in insert that replaces the whole rod and everything. Regardless with damping there is even less of a right number than springing, you really need to establish exactly what you want the bike to do differently, you won't get anywhere just trying to make it better in some vague generalised way.

Just moving to an aftermarket shock will drastically open up your setup options so you can fool around with stuff and see what sort of behaviour you prefer, the vast majority of setup changes are done with the rear anyway. It sets the general tone of the bike.

It's interesting because on dirt it seems like everyone spends so much more time with the front forks and dialing them in than with the rear. Which makes sense if they're constantly soaking up bumps and deflections in a way that smooth(ish) pavement just doesn't require.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Slavvy posted:

One weird trick your neighbours hate!
I removed the horn for now. I can plug it back in if it's a big deal, but I never use it except by mistake. I was thinking about having its own button, but this was easier for now, I can always do the button thing later, I ran an extra cable for that already.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

It's interesting because on dirt it seems like everyone spends so much more time with the front forks and dialing them in than with the rear. Which makes sense if they're constantly soaking up bumps and deflections in a way that smooth(ish) pavement just doesn't require.

The front is important don't get me wrong, but it can't really change the fundamental balance of the bike the way fooling around with the rear can. Like eg if you want a stop-go bike you make that happen with shock and geometry decisions, then you spring and damp the front to match. The fundamental thing is to get the balance of the bike right for your weight and preferences, then you tune things for the lines you want to ride based on your tyres and technique and circumstance, and after that you get the front right so as to get the maximum feedback and control. At high levels there is the question of ~*feel*~ but that's one of those things that is both drastically overstated in importance by amateurs and is also heavily influenced by things like tyres, frame design, the construction of the triple clamps and fork outers themselves all working in concert.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I removed the broken luggage rack, removed the quick disconnect side racks, installed the solo seat and gave it the last wash before the winter. Removed the tank bra and bar muffs for washing and glamour shots.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've finally got both of my wheels... and they're slightly different colours. gently caress. It'll probably look OK on the bike but I'll know, and now so will the internet.

The front disc is the SC77 type. Pics of SC59s all have a rim tape design, though obvs could have been removed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Regardless, those look sick and I bet once they're on the bike you wont be able to tell

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Regardless, those look sick and I bet once they're on the bike you wont be able to tell

Especially once they're covered in brake dust and road grime!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if the differing colors bother you that badly it typically doesn't cost much to have wheels powder-coated.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it cost me $150 all in to have my wheels powder-coated. Would have cost more for disassembly, but I stripped them down myself so literally all the place had to do was sandblast the parts and put them on the line. Absolutely worth it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think how you feel walking towards your bike is a small but significant part of the appeal of riding (and one of the reasons I feel ambivalent about owning an otherwise excellent air cooled multistrada and have a marketplace alert for hypermotard 1100s on sale anywhere on east coast of Australia).

All of which is to say, I'm moderately colourblind and I can see that difference. If I'd specifically bought wheels for ~the aesthetic ~ that would drive me nuts. My 2c is that it's easier to powdercoat them now than do it later after its been bugging you for weeks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the opposite. I really DGAF how I look on the bike (which should be evident by the bikes I ride) and am 100% invested in how much I enjoy riding the bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm in the middle. How a bike looks is very important. Looking perfect isn't.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have sold gorgeous bikes because they slightly annoy me and I’ll hang on to an ugly bike because I like the way it rides

I’m weird I think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd pick rides well but looks crap over rides crap but looks great

Ideally you'd have both but yeah I'm there for the riding dynamics foremost

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

I've finally got both of my wheels... and they're slightly different colours. gently caress. It'll probably look OK on the bike but I'll know, and now so will the internet.

The front disc is the SC77 type. Pics of SC59s all have a rim tape design, though obvs could have been removed.

From here, I can barely tell the difference, and I'm an artist. Which means people 10 feet away and/or even 5 mph slower than you won't be able to, either.

The wheel at the rear is already going to look darker due to being ensconced in the frame. Since that's the one that looks lighter here, they're actually well-matched. :hai:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
both of my wheels are the exact same shade of road grime

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If I saw a motorcycle with mismatched color wheels like that I would attack them Road Rage style. No hesitation or warning.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd assume it were crashed and repaired, but I'll add that having stickers on one and not the other would draw my attention really quickly initially, only then would I notice the difference in colour.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah there is a local place that can powder coat them, I'll see what the Swiss tax looks like. Agreed it will be difficult to spot but the rest of the bike is in good nick and it will annoy me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Small general maintenance items today, but they add up on multiple bikes:

KX250, Oil, filter, air filter change and wash. Cleaned and adjusted chain. Gave it a good wash.

Monkey: cleaned, oiled, adjusted chain. Cleaned the bike and topped it off with ethanol free premium.

VStrom: cleaned, oiled, adjusted chain and cleaned the bike.

Did similar things on the wife's Outback. Now I'm tired.

Might buy a new helmet later today

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whelp I bought a Shoei RF1400 at Cyclegear tonight after riding there with my kid who just got his endorsement. Such a nice and comfy and quiet helmet.
I tried on a couple others but ultimately settled on the Shoei.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Gonna start a shoe company called Helmeti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Tangentially related, made an AI themed spooky decoration

:spooky::spooky: