Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Did my first oil change, chain clean & lube, and cleaned the rear wheel. :toot:

Yamaha came up with the most hard-to-clean wheel design they could and then painted them bright red-orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My money's on an adjustable windscreen mechanism

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Cracked 2,000 miles on the bike today :toot:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

the warcraft sticker is awesome because as soon as I see it, it obliterates whatever stereotype I have of the guy on that bike

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Elviscat posted:

I also got shot with an airsoft or BB gun.

one more reason to ATGATT

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Today I found out how alarmingly fragile OEM yamaha oil filters are in the grip of 3" channel locks.

I actually torqued the new filter to spec so I'm curious if I'll have to resort to the jaws of life again next time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I went out and bought a cheap lovely cap socket for my first oil change but it was no match for my manly gorilla handed installation this time around. I should have just bought a strap wrench but I was afraid it wouldn't fit, but if the channel locks did then I'm sure a small strap wrench will be fine. Live and learn

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Installed the OEM Yamaha saddlebag kit: (e: as TheBacon pointed out these are basically the SW-Motech Blaze saddlebags with a slightly different bag design)

First impressions are that the hardware kit is nice and solid, but the luggage itself is pretty lightweight and basic. Not surprising given the price relative to most luggage ($150 for the mount kit and $240 for the saddlebags). It should work great for my needs for very occasional multiday trips or a random shopping spree but I wouldn't want to use them every day.

With that in mind I really like how minimal the mounts are when you remove the stabilizer tubes:

The only surprise was that it sits farther back on the pillion than I expected and the rear luggage loops on the seat are covered up, so the hooks on my Kreiga tailbag aren't long enough to reach. I think I just need to find some kinda loops to slip through the seat loops and extend the reach.

FBS fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 4, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Supradog posted:

That style of soft luggage design is usually very non-waterproof. The scenario is that you put on the rain covers. The default rain covers do not cover the inner part towards the wheels, so water and sand gets slung from the rear wheel along the luggage pooling inside the waterproof cover soaking the bag totally.

I may be wrong, I've only seen givi variants of those,not Yamaha OEM. But please pack all inside in dry bags and test. Wet luggage sucks so much.

These come with waterproof inner bags so that shouldn't be an issue.

FBS fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 4, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

TheBacon posted:

Looks almost exactly like the SW-Motech Blaze system. Oddly enough I just got that for my MT so uh I can also slap my Kriega on and compare soon enough here heh.

I was out running errands this afternoon and could not for the life of me think of a simple, cheap item that would work to extend the rear loop. As soon as I got home and started googling it it seems obvious: a cheap nylon dog collar is the perfect size.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Strife posted:

The CVO bikes, the ones that add $11k to the sticker for mostly cosmetic upgrades, have super low profile HD badges, but all CVO parts are restricted to folks who actually have CVOs. If you try to order them they'll ask your VIN.

lol this is so dumb

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Grips can come off? :confused:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Martytoof posted:

E: now in the right thread

I didn’t really need it, but I bought a wheel chock anyway.

This is what happens when I have money to burn not paying for commuting to work.
Those things are great. I used mine for a cross-country move and it was perfect

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It exists because it makes money. :911:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Anything's a carburetor if you're brave enough.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

:hmmyes: my first bike was a GS500

Same here, but I don't think mine lived long enough to infect me, I feel pretty normal starting my Yamaha now.

someday I'll buy another Suzuki though and it will finish me off

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Chris Knight posted:

Biek's put away for its winter nap, time for a meal and beer out to console myself lol.

Last year I got a ride in the week of Christmas so I'm not giving up yet but there is already a bit of snow in the forecast this year, so my season might already be over.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

if you don't torque your oil filter to spec you might as well just take it to the dealer for maintenance

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to buy motorcycles with neon wheels.

The upside of owning wheels that suck to clean is that it really lowers your standards and the definition of "clean" becomes much easier to achieve.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The lesson here is to only own motorcycles when you're fortunate enough to have a garage.

(thank god I have a garage holy poo poo I hated dealing with poo poo like this)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

dang it I wanted to be the first with a kickstarter joke

Nice work, buddy.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Yesterday I convinced myself that my MT was vibrating way more than usual and something terrible must be happening to the engine :shrug:

I'll do an oil change, that will make me feel better.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I haven't had time yet to do anything to the 919 except take a few slightly nicer photos and paw through the bin of spare parts the PO sent.

In the listing he said the tires were the original factory tires - turns out they're actually Metzeler Z8s from 2016. Instead of 18-year-old tires with 12,000 miles they're merely 6-year-old tires with 8,000 miles. :v: He got the bike from a dealer in 2016 and they must have replaced them when they took it as trade-in. (a fun bonus of buying a bike off a message board is you get to read through their post history from when they owned it)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

what's the exhaust, Delkevic?

Yep. It's fairly loud, I haven't decided yet if it's too loud.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Covered up some exposed insulation and rearranged the garage slightly so both bikes have their own parking spot and I can get them out without moving the car.

Next I need to put the anchors into the concrete so I can mount the tire changer, which is a little intimidating because 1) I've never done it before 2) it's a rented apartment so I want to keep the damage to a minimum and 3) the drill I'm borrowing from my dad is older than I am.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

opengl128 posted:

Now to give it a proper going over before I ride it again because who knows what other fuckery I'll find. I should also get an actual drain plug and not a hacked down hardware store bolt, though it seems to be doing the job well enough for now. Also need to figure out how to clean the oil streak off the back of my mesh jacket.

Good job not dropping it.

Did dumping four quarts of oil on the ground make you second-guess buying an ICE bike at all?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I *finally* put new tires on the Honda today, and learned a few things:
- the tire changer I bought was 100% worth the money but it also didn't eliminate the need for tire irons, the rear went on fine but the front is just too tight. I still scratched my wheels up a little. I need to get that part figured out before I buy a bike worth keeping shiny
- Remember to balance the wheel before you put it back on the bike, idiot
- The swingarm will slowly slide down my rear stand until it falls off. I got lucky and it came down on the kickstand but it's going to make maintenance extra annoying til I figure out a solution.

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 26, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Yeah I've got those on my Yamaha, they work great! But the Honda has solid axles and no spool nubbins on the swingarm.

The obvious first step is to clean all the gunk off the bottom of the swingarm but I'm not sure that will solve it completely. I use the non-spool option to lift the Yamaha to remove the rear wheel or adjust chain slack and have never had that issue.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

T-Square posted:

Behold:

(Ignore the weeds, I’ve been spending all my free time on this :v:)

this is rad as gently caress

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Where does this myth come from??

They're professionals!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

How much was it?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

That's entirely reasonable. My bike doesn't have *that* many miles but the suspension, especially the rear, feels pretty wore out. I look forward to hearing how your test ride goes.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The upper gears are obnoxiously close on that bike, at 60 mph there's maybe a 300rpm difference between 5th and 6th

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

:sickos:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/RwL5mBD.mp4

My excuse is that I've never seen black gravel used anywhere around here before. The truth is that I was careless and inattentive and missed the clear signs of loose poo poo sprayed all over the road before I even turned in.

Damage to the bike itself seems to just just be some scratches and a bent shifter, I was (eventually, see below) able to ride it home. This is the second time those soft saddlebags have served as impromptu frame sliders. I'm glad I was on the Yamaha instead of the 919 because dropping that bike like this would break my heart.

The icing on the cake, though, is that my battery gave out while I was looking the bike over and I couldn't get it started again.

I'm less ashamed of dropping the bike than I am to admit that I never learned how to bump start a motorcycle. I gave it a couple of halfhearted attempts but I know I would have worn myself out before getting it to work. So instead, I texted my dad, and sat down to enjoy actually a quite pleasant Sunday evening while waiting for him to come give me a jump start.

It's the original battery, nearly 3 years old now, and I suppose it was already on its way out. It had started once immediately after the crash but then I shut it down, with the ignition left on for 5-10 minutes, and after that it would crank but not hard enough to start.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I love the tipover switch because it's so crude and simple it's the kind of engineering even I could do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2A9rN7EYYY

It's definitely the battery. Back in the garage today (after a 30min ride home) it started instantly at first, then struggled a bit after 5 minutes with the lights on and after 10 minutes would only click at me without cranking. I've got it back on the tender now. Is there any reason not to replace this battery immediately?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Today was my first chance for a ride since I dropped the MT, and the weather was spectacular. I had a really pleasant 90 minutes on the Honda, and then I got to learn how to plug a tire.

Whatever I ran over was pretty big, it left a big hole and took a chunk out of the fender on its way out. The tire fully deflated in what felt like 5-10 seconds. A friendly local stopped almost immediately and fetched a portable air tank so I didn't have to gently caress with the CO2 cartridges in my flat kit, and the plug seems to have held up pretty well on the ride home.

This tire has maybe 800 miles on it but with the puncture in the groove (and it broke a belt) should I talk myself into a proper internal patch, or suck it up and replace the tire?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

perhaps they thought it was a catalytic carburetor.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Got it plated this morning and did my first ride tonight :toot:

Nothing fancy, just a quick jog up the highway and back after work. Who knew 80mph in 50 degree weather could be so comfortable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Wide tires look cool