Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The weather's turning its usual Autumn grey & rainy here, so today I told my homework to wait while I took advantage of a beautiful sunny afternoon. As usual, I didn't bother checking what roads were closed and ran into some heavy traffic because the main downtown expressway was closed (doh).

And then of course I went on Craigslist when I came back and saw an ad for a R1100GS in my price range :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what a nice morning! Think I'm gonna

Oh. Well, gently caress you too. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AncientTV posted:

:smith:

Your bike has a way smaller footprint on the centerstand, use the kickstand for parking.

Yeah, I'll need a new cover to make room for that, no real biggie if I go that route.

It's just the capper to the end of an already very lovely week. The weather being nice just adds the extra screws.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode down to my parents' place yesterday, did the fuel stabilizer treatment and washed 'er up. Today did the wax & polish and finished the winterizing, then rolled her across the street for a long winter's nap.

Now it's time to tally up all the things I have to buy over the winter to work on in the spring!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Retrieved it from my folks' neighbours, wheeled it across the street, and started taking it apart. Head is off, cleaned the carbon off the piston heads. Tomorrow will be cleaning off the valves, checking all the bits, and put as much of it back together as I have time for.

Found a couple of screws on their last days, definitely gotta replace them. Might get to use my new impact wrench! :dance:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Read a review of the new Streetfighter 848, fell in lust.

But more importantly, put my own biek back together and started her up on the first crank! :3:

Now to solve the problem of the leaky exhaust headers...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dellikose posted:

This did the trick for me.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...asket_maker.htm

I've got the red stuff for the mufflers, I'll see about using it on the headers.

I did replace the old gaskets, which were two thin metal disks, and the replacements were a bit rounder and thicker. I dunno.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

They compress when installed.

I'm sure the new ones will be ok. I'm mostly worried about the rusty as gently caress bolts & nuts.

/adds more things to the shopping list

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ran out of gas on a freeway exit ramp :haw:

It's been so long since I've gotten low on the main part of the tank that I didn't recognize low fuel symptoms. Pulled over at the stoplight, switched over to reserve, and started 'er up again. Filled up on the way back home.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saved many, many lives:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally had a chance to wash & wax her. Spent a bit of time in the undercarriage with some degreaser and brush. There are now parts of the bike seeing daylight for the first time since if owned her anyway. Got a good spray of it on the front of the engine too so I can track down any future gasket leaks. Ran out of time before dinner, so no oil change. Guess Sunday's the time for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bucephalus posted:

Not a Nighthawk, just a Hawk: http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0400/hawk400.htm#Y-1981t

I dig the baby CBF styling :3:

E: Chrome fender, must be an '80?
Yep, plain old Hawk, '80 with the shiny fender. Along the way a previous owner or two did some mods that make me wonder if I'll ever get her running properly again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wanted to loving kill it Thursday since it wasn't starting or running right, after Sunday's semi-victorious ride home. Put me in a worse mood than I already was. Tried starting it again today, won't stay running without full choke. Argh.

Today: finally took apart my tach to remove the spider web that was preventing proper operation

No idea what to do about the not running properly situation, since I don't have a garage to work in here :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Put the carbs back on, put 'er together, and warmed 'er up and went for a ride. Still running like crap at idle, but it's running and I can start diagnosing a bit more when I have some more time. Methinks the engine/carb boots are on their last legs anyway.

Pro tip: these bike tire wrenches were super handy for the airbox/carb boots:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
On the way out the door this morning, I noticed that the ol' bike wasn't in the exact place I last saw it last night when I got home. Since I was in a hurry, I just left it where it was, since it was still covered and upright.

Got home tonight and wanted to make sure the cover was tightened up before the arriving storm hit. Oh, look, it's now in a different place than this morning.

Took the cover off to move it, and a quick look shows my (new) mirrors are now aiming at the ground and the clutch lever is similarly twisted around to some odd position. So I just re-park it, re-cover it, and pop open a beer as soon as I get to the kitchen.

I'm so loving sick of this poo poo. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I park on the street, and almost always get a spot right in front of the house. I think it's time to see if there are any garage spaces around here to rent. And/or get a motion alarm.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fixed up the man-handled mirrors and left grip from whatever happened on Wednesday night, then took 'er for a spin before the rain hits.

Ticked over 27,000km! :3:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Anyway, did an oil top up - took around 2 litres. How the gently caress did the light not come on sooner, and that seems to be a lot of oil to have to top up.

Is 2 litres in around 1000 miles normal? Running a 2001 GPZ500, if that makes a difference.
That's way too much, for sure. Doesn't everyone check their oil when they fill up with gas?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, Sunday anyway, took the scenic route to the highway after visiting my folks. First time putting much seat time in the Bandit, and I'm loving it! Weather was mostly sunny and saw more riders than you can shake a swing arm at. Bike ran like a dream, and I found some nice back country roads to open her up a bit on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, Sunday anyway: passed my full M road test! :D Was so exhausted after a full day on the bike, I didn't even know what to do with myself when I got home.

Went out to see my folks today for lunch, and brought back the remaining bits of the Honda. Time to sell it off.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did ~160km running some errands. Although only 2 (B: getting gas, C: getting my M license paperwork handed in) were actually mandatory :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Friday: rode in the rain and dark to go meet up with an old work friend. Wore the wrong jacket for the weather, and found some horrible new construction zones. Ugh.

Today: hand washed the Bandit, then did a quick wax & polish. Friggin 6C out there.

Still have to put a final decision together on what I'm going to do with it at the Honda for the winter. Ugh.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Started up the Honda for the first time since mid-July. Lots of rusty looking wetness spewing out of the right exhaust. Definite carb boot leak on the right side as well. Almost winter time and I doubt it'll make it to my parents' place, so I gotta start looking for storage.

Two weeks back I left the grip heaters on the Bandit on one night and didn't ride for another 2 days. Cue a bike that won't start! Popped the battery on the quick charger for 10 minutes, and I got her started up again and rode like hell to meet my friends for a movie. Now the drat grips won't heat up anymore. Controller comes on green, but no level lights at all. Right when I need them the most. Argh.

Took the Bandit out today to find oil filters, and I swear, the 2007 Bandit is some mystery bike, no one has any info at all about it except in the UK. Even though it was an official Canadian model, and I have the dual language manual and stickers on the bike to prove it! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Trying to put the Bandit away for the winter. Fairings off, things disconnected, trying to get the plugs out, and then this:

#4 plug, sheared off. This sucks :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Put the fairing on & watched her being loaded on a flatbed to be taken off to a nice farm in the country Suzuki dealer off a bit north of my parents' town. Pretty neat setup on the truck.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

I changed the oil in my Firebolt and prepped it for winter storage. I'm taking the muffler off to repaint, and then I need to figure out how to wash all the road salt off everything while it's only in the low 40s out.

Hot water, bucket & sponge.

Ps that's a great looking bike! Dunno if you've posted it before.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saturday: a beautifully sunny 10°C, picked it from storage and did a short haul back to my parents' place. Started taking apart the fairing to replace the spare bolt I had, but realized a bit too late that I still didn't have the rubber bushing that it screws into. Damnit. Put it back together. Rode out that night to meet some friends.

Monday: 2°C and expecting snow, put it in my parents' neighbours' garage to pick up later.

Today it's -1, and the rest of the week isn't looking brilliant. :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got to ride it back home this past Sunday. I got it out of storage on a beautiful Easter Saturday, and then promptly put it in my parents' neighbours' garage because it started to rain and snow for the next 3 weeks. :v:

Rode it to work for the first time this season yesterday, seems to have a weird noise past 5000 RPM that I didn't notice earlier. IDK.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got the Honda out from my friends' garage on Saturday, so gave 'em both a Canada Day washing & waxing.

Now to sell the ol' girl.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Put the shorty 'racing' screen on the Bandit yesterday, and took it out for a highway blast up to my friends' place for a barbeque. Dunno if there's much difference tbh, but I'll give it a few rides to see. Definitely see putting the taller one back on for any longer trips, it's nice to duck behind the screen for some quiet on the highway.

Shorty screen makes it much faster getting the cover on when the rain starts coming down though!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This weekend anyway, did a trip up to Montreal and back. Got a bit rained on the way out, which I most likely would have avoided had I left at 8:00 am as planned instead of 9:20.

Got a bit hot on the way back, and I discovered a good position with feet up on the engine bar to get some air on the legs. My new Alpinestars magic riding undies did the trick and helping keep cool, but after a certain point I had to take off my jeans and unzip my jacket because I was just overheating in the stop & go traffic and late afternoon sun. Eh, learn something new.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Carbs back on the Honda, started her up and went for a quick squidly ride around the neighborhood.

Man, the difference between it and my Bandit seem even more ludicrous. Time to polish it up and sell the old gal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Zipped home from work yesterday and got a stupidly ambitious thought in my head: wash both bikes! Turns out around 7:30 the light really starts to go, and by 7:45 you better be finishing off getting the wax off the bodywork because there's no way you're doing anything more than that for that day.

Have to do the metal bits in a day or two depending on the weather, then it's time to sell the Honda.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You're just supposed to throw out the assembly and get a new one at your local Honda dealer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Managed wicked times to and from work today, 20 minutes in, 15 back. Tried a couple of different stages which saved me a lot of waiting around time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took it in for winter storage, see ya in April, Bandit!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Finally finished a project I've been working on for some time.

12: done

Now you have the only rubber knee grips designed specifically for a 1971 CL350 in the entire world!
Those look fantastic!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, on my Honda I would just leave the fuel in the bowls. Then drain in the Spring for the first startup.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I just always used Shell premium (no ethanol) + stabilizer. I drain the carbs when I go to start 'er up in the Spring to ensure fresh(er) gas, and it pretty much always starts up without too much fuss.

Today I bundled up and put away the Honda for the winter, in the most half-assed fashion ever. Almost couldn't get my friend's garage door open because it had partially frozen shut. Lotta fuckin ice in that alley, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

does anything run on 89 octane? Its always an option but I have never seen a car or bike that needs it, its either 87 or 93

We used to have an old car that took leaded gas, so 89 and an occasional bottle of lead replacement did the trick.

But otherwise, yeah.