Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I finally got my spare key cut.
Bought some fuel line so I can get rid of the drat inline filter.
Bought some oil.

Laziness pending, I may install said line and/or oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yesterday was a care for the GS day. I lubed and adjusted the steering head bearings, adjusted the valves, replaced the cam cover gasket, replaced the fuel lines, synced the carbs and cleaned all of the hard to reach places while the fairings are off. It then got pushed back into it's hiding spot, naked, awaiting the arrival of it's parts from Bike Bandit.

Today I diagnosed a bad coil on the CB450 giving me my no start. Well, never start. I haven't heard the thing run yet. I also lamented the fact that I have two broken bikes.
Today was one of those wonderful days where everything you've been waiting for shows up at the same time. I got some parts from ebay for the CB and the clutch cable for the GS.

Tomorrow I'm going to install the new cable and go for a ride for the first time in a week.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Changed the oil and filter, adjusted the chain and washed the millions of bugs off from the 972 mile road trip I took it on this weekend.
Then on the way home I got rained on AGAIN. For fucks sake this is California, why do I end up wet so much? Oh well, at least it wasn't hail again. At 75mph that hurts the fingers.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I started it up.

Still bogs in the midrange

Still a nightmare

still waiting to do a valve adjustment job

Wish I had friends who were into Bikes who lived near me to help out

Where in SD are you? I can come and help you out if you need. I've got enough hammers and duct tape to get it going I would imagine.
I've got the carbs off my bike today and will be cleaning them and doing my intake o-rings tomorrow but have no plans for Sunday.

EDIT: As jealous as I am, I'm really digging the 1250 reports. I'm gonna have to pick either a 1200 or a 1250 once I move into a place with a garage. If I had anything nice here it would be trashed then stolen or possibly stolen then trashed.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 25, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Captain McAllister posted:

Bad bad picture

drat dude. I've never seen that before. I don't have a clue how a little TW could have eaten up the output shaft splines like that. Maybe if the sprocket was WAY too loose.
I would price an ebay motor against replacing the shaft on your bike. It might end up being cheaper labor wise to just replace the whole drat thing unless you are doing it yourself.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I'm in Encinitas, but have no way of transporting my Bike. I just did my valve adjustment a few days ago but the intake valve is sitting around .28 whereas it should but .09 or so, and its stuck in place. The Exhaust Valve is fine and dandy but this Intake one is frozen, and I don't have a socket or something tiny enough to screw it down with.

I think I was a little angry when I posted before :P

I have the tool for the valve adjustment and stuff. I'm moving to a new apt. this week but I may be free this weekend, but if not definitely some time next week.
PM me if you want to set up something. I'll bring whatever tools we may need.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my forks and adding Race Tech gold valves on the GS700 but was stuck when I found out not one but both of my forks had dings and huge loving scratches on the chrome.
Luckily a WTB ad on Thegsresources got me a set of forks within 20 minutes. I also grabbed a fender that has actual paint on it! Not bad for $80 and a quick ride to Costa Mesa. I just need to get my motivation back and go finish putting it all together.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 26, 2013

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Tamir Lenk posted:

GSR never fails. Sup, GS buddy?

That really is a great site. I've spent hours reading about my bike and all of the other GSs too. I now want an 8V 750, an 1150 and a few air cooled GSXRs.

Think there's a good few GS riders floating around here now. I'm approaching year five of GS ownership and still have fun messing with it. They are great bikes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Finally got my forks together! So much nicer with new bushings, fresh oil and emulators.

Thank god too. My 30 mile evening commute takes 35-45 minutes with the bike and 50-90 minutes with the truck. At least 5 miles of it is crawling slightly below '1st gear at idle' of my truck so I must push the clutch in at least 900,000 times. My hosed up knee ends up killing me and am using my hand to push my leg down when I need to shift for the rest of the drive home. Cages suck. Traffic jams suck. Lane splitting is awesome.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My bike will make a weird grinding/resonance noise when I spin the back tire but it's only the pads lightly touching the rotor. It's possible that's the noise you're hearing.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nothing but commuting today but tomorrow I'm going to poke around and see why my bike seems sick lately. It seems like it idles a bit rough, lacks the power at the low end that it used to have and definitely doesn't have the acceleration it did at higher speeds. Strangely enough it hasn't changed it's fuel usage at all.

I replaced the plugs, cleaned the air filter and did a valve adjustment about 3,000 miles ago, half of which it ran perfectly fine. After a 1,200 mile trip to Utah and back (through 100+ degree temps while going 85-90mph for hours) it seems to have run into problems. I guess I'm going to spray around for vacuum leaks, sync the carbs and maybe do a compression test for starters. I'm sort of doubting it's going to be a carb issue since it is acting goofy at both high and low RPM.

It's a 25 year old air cooled bike with nearly 60k not so easy miles on it so it could just be age creeping up. Hopefully it's not just getting tired though. I just rebuilt the forks with Racetech valves and springs as well as got a friend of mine to dial in the rear shock and it handles so nice now.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've heard of the needle jets wearing on FZR600s (according to the few FZR sites I've visited) so it is apparently a thing. I never heard of it on any other type of bike so it must be pretty drat rare.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Learning about carbs is a pain in the rear end but if you take the time to figure them out and how to clean them and set them up they are pretty reliable.
You can't leave them sit for years and then just start them up like an EFI bike but we should be glad of that otherwise half of us wouldn't have gotten our first bike for dirt cheap.
I've gone well over 100K miles on a few different carbed bikes and (after the initial PO unfucking/improper storage de-gunking and setting up) haven't ever had to have them off for maintenance. Really outside of people who don't know what they're doing going in and loving things up the biggest reason people have carb trouble is improper storage (which leads to a whole hell of a lot of the first issue).

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Was nervous about my bike starting after being in several downpours last night.
Fired right up though :)
I also screwed in my turn signal that's been dangling for a week now.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been using my neck cover thingy for a while now. It's only been in the mid 50's in the morning but I hate having a cold neck/face when I'd already rather be sleeping. It works well but it's a pain in the rear end trying to get it to fit anywhere beyond my helmet strap (like covering my chin) without it making my helmet fit funny and probably increasing the chances that it will fly off if I crash.
Have any of you tried one of those neoprene helmet skirts, like so http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-Helmet-Skirt-Noise-Wind-Reducer-Motorcycle-Scooter-Quad-Bike-/290686634484 ?
If these are decent I could skip trying to cover anything but my neck with the cover.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My Ranger spark knocks like crazy in the summer if I use 87. With 89 it barely does so that's what I use.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Last night I decided to get into the FZR600 and see what main jets the PO put in it when he "jetted it for the Vance/Hines Slip-on". A two-stroke friend of mine helped me out and found the stock jet size/charts/etc. and we agreed that, if done correctly, there should be 105 main jets installed. There was! Also, this bike is so clean it's ridiculous. While in there, we found that the airbox was barely even connected to the carbs, which could explain my slightly high idle.

TL;DR I just broke my carb cherry.

From what I've read, the airbox slipping off the carbs is kind of common on the FZR. Seems like the fix is to put a slice of foam between the box and the faux fuel tank cover to hold it down.
That's weird there is a 105 in your carbs. My FSM and my carbs say a 107.5 main is stock. I've got a Yosh slip on that I've adapted from some random bike and I'm going to leave the jetting stock and see what happens. I still haven't ever ridden it (I got it as a rolling pile of poo poo with all of the bolt on bits in multiple boxes with multiple hundreds of black widows). Hopefully soon.

EDIT: Reading in the manual a bit more it seems that the stock jets for a CA model bike are 105s. Is your bike a CA model with the EXUP valve and all of the emissions gear?

EDIT EDIT: I just remembered that I have a set of (what looks to be) Progressive springs that came out of my forks. If you're interested, they and the preload spacers are yours for cheap. No idea what the spring rate is but probably quite a bit stiffer than stock ones.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 13, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Regarding the jetting: We found the jetting chart and came up with a correction factor of .98, which is where we got to the 105 jet. It's not a California model.

My bike was actually pretty well setup by the previous owner:
Emulators in the front and stiffer springs (supposedly sprung for a 200+lb rider, so it rides a little harsh).
I also have a nice Penske on the rear. :) Thanks for the offer though.

Ah cool. I'll have to see how mine runs with the 107s when I finally finish it. I replaced my emulsion tubes while I had the carbs open since you could easily see the wear on two of them.

How does the bike handle with the suspension set up? I've got Racetech emulators and springs with preload adjusters in the forks and a newly rebuilt Fox on the rear. I'm hoping it's gonna be a fun bike to play with. I originally bought it to part out since the plastics are really nice but then I found a guy parting his race bike and somehow ended up spending a bunch of money on fixing it instead :iiam:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I finally got the FZR started. It only needed a few cranks and settled into a nice idle. Amazingly my eyeball set throttle plates were drat near perfect according to my sync gauges. I just had to tweak #1 a touch.
It sounds pretty awesome with the Yosh can :)
Now all that's left is tires and chain and then hopefully a bunch of track days. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make it road legal or not so it may or may not get its mirrors and indicators back.
I was getting slightly discouraged by my $300 pile of spiders and parts but hearing it run so well after keeping at it has me super happy.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Is it possible your float height is set too low? It might starve for fuel for a second before the level catches up maybe?
On that train of thought I wonder if you could have a slightly plugged vent on your fuel tank that allows enough air by until the demand is high enough that it becomes a problem.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I never used to understand how a bike, especially a good-handling, good-performing sportsbike, could ever be thought of as 'boring' and I thought that was just pretentious bullshit spouted by people who want to justify riding ducatis and the like. I figured riding bikes fast is extremely exciting, regardless of what brand it is, and that itself was enough.

Then I owned a 919 hornet for a while and I realised that a bike can do everything perfectly well, be extremely well made and designed, and still make you want to get something else.

I went through this exact same thing when I had my '02 F4i.
It started. Every day. Even when it was cold. Even if i hadn't ridden it in a month. It rode straight, handled well and looked good. I could count on jumping on at any time and it would start up and be ready to go be it to work or a track day. It was fast yet still nice around town. It was even comfortable on longer trips.
I even rode it through a snow storm once because my truck was broken and I was dying for some BBQ.
When you think about it, it was pretty much the perfect bike.

I sold it after 10k miles and haven't had anything made after 1992 since.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

On my old CB350f you didn't even need to stand up off the seat to kick it. Just lean a little back, give the kicker a lazy push down and you're good to go. You couldn't really feel any of the different positions the pistons were in. It was just one smooth push down.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

Replaced the indicator flasher, the old one was sticking
$11 for a generic one, $70 for an OEM Honda part...
Now I'm having trouble finding a universal headlight with an 18-20 cm distance between mounting points, because screw paying $100 for a chrome ring and another $100 for the plastic shell of the headlight
Being poor for the next few months sucks :(

I got a headlight from a GS550 for about $30 shipped on eBay. I will measure it and see how far apart the mounting points are. It's about an inch narrow for my mounts so I had to make spacers to fit it. One from a GSX750-1100 would have fit perfectly. It looks like the light from a late 70's-early 80's CB750 would work as well.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Would those gaitors be safe for a daily ridden bike?
On my GS I've had three fork tubes get dinged and start leaking over the past few years because the chrome is super soft or something. If I could avoid that it would be great but having them hold moisture and rust the chrome off.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Finally got the headlamp working on the FZR. It shouldn't have been a difficult job but the workshop manual isn't all that informative and the wiring color codes are non-standard which ended up confusing the poo poo out of me. Turned out the HI-LO switch was tarnished from non use and just needed to be taken apart and cleaned. No problem. Oh wait, one of the bolts that holds it on had a stripped out head. No problem. Oh yeah, my drill batteries are almost dead and my charger is all the way dead.
I ended up drilling a bit and swapping batteries back and forth until I got through. Light works great now.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I ran up and down the import section on my miata search and didn't see any supras at all. Or miatas.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Changed the oil and lubed the chain.

I thought I was good on maintenance since it's only been about 4 months but happened to check my spreadsheet (yes, of course I have a spreadsheet for maintenance) and realized I did my last O&F change over 5,000 miles ago. I put on way too many commuting miles and not nearly enough fun miles.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I may or may not turn my fuel screws in ~1/2 turn or so until I get nice pops on decel. Not enough to make starting or part throttle cruise weird, but I definitely edge to the lean side cause like to hear those pops.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I had a big list of things to do on both this weekend but decided to have a two day migraine instead. Yay!!
Only managed to lube my chain for this weeks commute. At least my brain has stopped trying to violently exit my skull.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

New chain and sprockets. Cleaned some more spider webs out of crevices. Will do rego and insurance Monday.

I slacked rear end for a few months on it but now that the FZR is so drat close to being done it's starting to make me nuts. I'm waiting on tires to arrive next week and once I get them put on it should be ready for a shake down run. I love the first ride on the pile of poo poo you brought home in boxes. It's a pretty great feeling only junk restorers know.

Now I just need to find another project so I have something to build/break.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

Did you get the wheel in all it's sparkling glory?

It's still at Shawns house currently. In the ensuing wheel mailing comedy I sent off a spare SV carrier for machining to have a head start for when the wheel got here. Of course the wheel eventually got here but the guy fell off the face of the planet.

I found that the BT52 that the CB1100 uses is the same size 18 as the FZR so I'm just going to use that for now with an S20 front. At least they are all radials and modern and whatever. I really just want to get this thing on the road for the spring. I got the days off for June and just need to make sure I'll have a bike for the track and to ride around while I'm up there.
If guy sends me an update and/or my kit I'll get some Supercorsas on the sparkly wheel and a spare front to keep for the track.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I honestly don't have a clue. I was just being lazy and figured the kit for $350 was a good deal.
I've got a buddy who's a machinist and could definitely mill it and turn me spacers and crap but I have no patience at the moment for measuring and fitting x1000 until it works. Then I'd still have to find a caliper and make a bracket for that too.

I was planning on sending the money up for the track day on Monday. I'm turning it into a mini vacation and taking a few days to visit some friends in Oakland. I'll head up that way on Sunday some time early-ish and we can meet up for some food or something if you're not super busy with pre-trackday cranky bikes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got to put some more miles on the FZR yesterday and am really really liking this bike. It handles well and the power delivery is nice and linear with a rush at the top end. Should be a gentle track day bike for my slow rear end.

I also found out that my rear brake caliper pistons are still sticky despite flushing it twice, running the pistons in and out a bunch of times and a lot of wishful thinking. I then found out that the mounting bolts were corroded in place and proceeded to pull all of the threads out of the caliper when trying to remove it. No biggie. $25 for a nice looking eBay caliper.
I'm also replacing the Ferrado race pads my calipers came with, with a street pad. Way too grabby.

Other than that, operation "turn a huge piece of poo poo into less of a piece of poo poo is mostly complete.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I like that I4 bikes are decently quiet even with drat near open exhaust until you get on them. If you have a loud can just putt around until you are clear of anyone you care about bothering, then crack a two gear minger.

That said I did take the system off my old Suzuki since my parking spot was directly under my neighbors bedroom window and while he said it didn't bother him I still felt bad. That system was loud enough to make my ears ring at low RPM through town however.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My method is to pull the plug out quickly, slip your finger over the hole without leaking much. Put the washer on and then quickly switch finger for bolt.*

*What actually happens is I pull the bolt out and get a handful of oil as I shove my finger in the hole.
I then try to slip the washer over the bolt using one oily hand (that is if I haven't forgotten the washer over there, you know where I can't go because I have my finger over this hole holding in oil. Which is pretty hot and starting to burn).
Once getting the washer on the bolt I'll quickly remove my finger and stick the bolt in the hole. The threads won't catch of course and I'll keep turning it until it slips and goes flying off into a corner. Some oil will gush out, sure, but I stuck my finger in there pretty quickly so it's not too bad.
Now, how do I get the bolt that's three feet out of reach to my right back onto the washer that's under the other bike I think?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

After putting it back together for the millionth time I took the FZR out for it's third test ride and magically nothing broke and it ran very well.
It even stops without shaking the poo poo out of you now that I freed up the rotor buttons on the EBC rotors.

A buddy of mine also made me a fork brace. The original wasn't very substantial compared to the new one...

Not bad for 20 minutes and a scrap bit of 1/2in. aluminum. He offered to clean it up and let me powder coat it but it's way too loving hot to be messing around with an oven today.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Finished dialing in the carbs on the FZR. Also put the 80's-tastic fairing back on the GS. I like the way it looks with the round headlight but my commute is 65 miles of either splitting through stopped traffic or doing 85mph up and down the very windy coast. Form is going to follow function this time.

Now I only have to install new clutch springs and fix my headlight high/low switch so my lights will always work and the FZR may be finished. Maybe. I was planning on having this thing done 6 weeks ago and having a track day under it's belt already. This has been quite the project.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

slidebite posted:

I think techspec also sells the material in a small sheet if you want to trim your own.

They sell a big package of it here http://www.amazon.com/TechSpec-62-0002-SS-Tank-Grip/dp/B00E1M25YC/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1400456955&sr=1-4&keywords=techspec that you cut to fit.
I made a set for my FZR and had plenty left over to make a set for the GS. I still have two small squares that were precut as tank protectors and some left over from the do it yourself sheets. I love the stuff. It's super grippy but not pokey like Stomp Grip. That stuff hurt my sensitive, never sees sun pasty white boy skin though textile overpants.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm not sure how it is on your lights but a lot of the time studs like that will have the fine threads (that you broke off) on one side of the fat spot and course threads on the other for screwing into the plastic. I'd try to see if you can get the remainder of the studs unscrewed. Where you'll find replacements I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Raised the needles in the carbs on the FZR by one washer height to get rid of a tiny flat spot around 8500rpm. After a 150 miles of riding around between CA67 and Cuyamaca State Park last weekend that's the only thing that jumped out. I went ahead and looked over the rest of the bike for stuff falling off and found that I had only tightened one of my clip on bolts out of the three so, yeah, they are tight now. I...think it's ready.

From 15 years in a barn spider filled basket case to a (hopefully) track day ready motorcycle in 7 months and only $1800! A Christmas miracle!

EDIT: If anyone was considering buying an infrared temp gun to help set up carbs, I say definitely go get one.
Iwas always decent at getting everything set up with the normal way (2.5 turns out, sync carbs, idle screws in until RPMs drop then half out) but with the gun it's so, so much easier and the results are way better. You do the usual up until the fine tuning of the screws where you use the temp gun rather than your ears. I got my pipes to within 10C of each other and holy poo poo does it run smooth compared to before.
I did the GS just for the hell of it and it's an absolutely huge difference in how nice the idle is.
Well worth the $35 from Harbor Freight.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 27, 2014