Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I made a tail tidy for my bike. Just need to get a little led light for license plate so it passes inspection. It's nice saving money by doing it yourself.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Is that the new Ninja 250? My friend's dad has one and my god that rear fender is horrendous.

It's a 650 but it's the same fender. Thing was ginormous.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Wheel tape!

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

I didn't get my wheels as clean as possible so hopefully the tape stays stuck to it for a while anyway.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I put some new coerce bars on. The bars were the easy part, it took me way too long to get the drat bar ends on. :geno:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Stock bar

difference between stock and rizoma bar

rizoma bar installed(also progrips and rizoma end weights)

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The stock bar is decent but I'm a little short so when I am in a relaxed position my arms want to fall below the stock height. The new bar is a little lower and has a little more sweep so it's a lot more natural for me. Also the progrips are very squishy.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

pokie posted:

How do you like the mirror sticks? They look interesting. Also what bike is it?

It's an FZ-09. The stock mirrors do the job ok, I'll probably end up replacing them with something smaller but they aren't on my list of things I want to get to this summer.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I did a much needed first service for my fz.

Changed oil, adjusted clean and lubed chain, went over bolts and screws on everything.

Also I made my own manometer and synced the throttle bodies.

Before, #3 was out a bit.

After, as close as I could make them considering how much it pulsed the fluid.

Runs much smoother under 5k or so now, not sure if that's just because of the adjustment to the throttle bodies or because she got the works. Whatever it was she's very happy now.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The connectors on the top there are restrictors but i think the tubes themselves were a little too big and just allowed too much air movement. Still worked well enough, though.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

As Nero Danced posted:

This does have me wondering though, and maybe this is a question for the discussion thread, but what would make for the least maintenance-requiring bike? Shaft drive, hydraulic lifters, non-lovely-old-carbs, etc. Does anything fit this bill? Probably a goldwing or something like that.

Probably an electric bike but you would still have to charge the thing every night.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
New clutch lever!

CRG RC2 shorty, feels really good to use

New exhaust!

Yoshimura WORKS full exhaust, bike howls now, as it should.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The front brake is much more efficient please use it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah at that weight you probably would need some stiffer shocks. Bike will definitely be safer after you get it set up.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
My fz-09 locks the rear if you put moderate pressure on it. Fun for skids but makes it sort of hard to modulate for brake use. I don't really need it for anything but skids anyway though that's why I got it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I installed some block off plates on my FZ-09. I think either the reed valves are hitting or there's a leak though because the bike is louder now and I'm not sure that's normal. So tomorrow I get to tear everything apart again and see what the deal is.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
According to stoltec and another tuner on fz09.org it does not have any effect on the fueling. I've heard several people mention taking out the reed valves though because they were clearly hitting the plates. The sound I'm hearing sort of makes me think that's what is happening here. I'm gonna take a second look regardless.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ok noise fixed. Turns out I'm a big dummy and the plate I thought was symmetrical had an asymmetrical cutout on the bottom. I took the reeds out anyway just for insurance.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm returning my fz-09 back to stock and I go to get the exhaust out of the shed. Fuckin chipmunks filled it with nuts, FILLED. I should have hung it up but I didn't think they would use it as a nut storage device. Anyway, I shook out about 100 by hand and then put it on the bike and shot out like 50 more that way. There's still like 5 or 6 stuck in there so my bikes gonna smoke for god knows how long till they are burnt up. Little bastards.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah there's all kinds of roasting going on. I think I got most of them out now though the smoke seems to have cleared up.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Removed like 8 warning stickers, got my tailbag(barely) on, crg clutch lever, and suspension dialed in.

Also since it rained like every day since I got it, she got a wash and shine. Excited to finally hit the mountains tomorrow.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

High Protein posted:

It's awesome how the fairing side says 'a'.

Waiting for random people to ask me why there's an 'a' on it at stop lights.

In other news I spent 2 hours riding around the mountain and it was magical. I want to spend more time on the bike today so I probably will.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The most involved tail tidy install I've ever done. That's the last thing I should have to touch on this bike now for the rest of the season. Break in should be done this weekend too.

#bear acer

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did the first service on my Tuono.

Yummy metallic break in oil

IDK what fucker put my oil filter on but it was super over tightened and I had to stab it with a screwdriver and make a mess getting it off. This is why I do my own work :colbert:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You some kind of narc or something????

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Beat me to it.

Why not also a forward-scanning radar so you can also see the cars you're passing on the display?

Sounds like a good way to crash into said cars.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

oh dear

That's better. Hopefully this tire makes it through the rest of the season.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Must have the same stuff gear oil has in it. Cracking open an old diff can greet you with the pleasant smell of rear end.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Got some cheap levers for the Grom.

Got a bunch more goodies coming for this weekend.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
More Grom stuff:

14t front sprocket, thats 1 down from stock...wheelies are a tad easier now

Tail tidy, the stock fender piece was extremely stout and over engineered, it's kind of impressive.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Finally got around to putting some tank grip on my Tuono.

The hole is for the logo but I think that looks tacky so I'd rather just leave the hole.

Also put some pegs on the Grom. That's probably it for this year.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Seems like your shock pissed itself?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cut the groms legs off.

I did some trail riding and the bike handled it pretty drat well, but I was bottoming out a lot. I figured I would try some thicker oil in the forks. Hit some trails after and it didn't bottom out ~as much~ but I'm going to add a little more over what the stock level was and see if it helps before I go with an even thicker oil.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You can't use spacers with the new forks but it's not really a big deal. I'm not gonna go crazy trying to turn the thing into a dirtbike. I'll thrash on the stock stuff till it's wrecked and then look at replacing it with something better.

next day edit: i added a small amount of oil and was able to sneak about 2mm of preload on the rod since there was enough thread at the end to safely raise the cap. Feels better already.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 8, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Slavvy posted:

That's a lot of words to type yes :)

What is that in the boot? Also sick rims.

A very silly spot to put the air tank for the bags. I suppose there isn't much space elsewhere though.

Also nice desk lamp.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Played in the mud. Wasn't expecting so much mud today, had to turn back. Stock tires not up to this task.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Got my heated grips on. Aprilia did not make any step of this install easy. Had to heavily modify the throttle tube, trim the left grip, find a place that I could actually route the wires through the frame without them touching the heads, mount the controller with zip ties(id prob do this on any bike).

I have no idea if the "intelligent monitor" works. I had them on to test so I'll see tomorrow if my battery ends up drained or not.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 15, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Trip report: Bike started up fine so the shutoff works correctly. Rode to work in 50 degree weather and I had the grips cranked up. My hands we're burning and it was lovely. A+ would do again.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Figured I'd change the oil in my Grom before the winter gets here and I can't be bothered.

Also swapped out the stock clutch springs/plate for some heavier ones.

Not too much poo poo on the screen but also it's a 125 so how much could it really make.

Stock clutch and oil spinner if anyone was curious about Grom innards.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Can't see it in that image but yes there's also a very small oil pump beneath the spinner. If you do big bore or just want to wheelie all day there are aftermarket ones available, as well as lightweight spinners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Battery on my tuono requires 3 different fasteners to be removed. 5m hex to remove seat, 4m hex to remove a fuze block thats blocking the battery in, and then a 10m wrench to remove the battery.