Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Finally got the rear brake pad pin loose. It was rusted on both sides of the caliper. Got it out after cutting it in two to deal with each side separately. Some heat, a properly jammed hex bit and liberal use of size adapters got it loose. New bolt is seen on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Installed some oxford premium(right..) adventure heated grips on my transalp. Weather is real nice atm but they'll be handy come rainy fall days.

Had to run a line to the battery though, hopefully the "off" mode is properly off. Could not find an easy accesible cable after the ignition. Whatever the POs have done with that jumble of black electrician tape maskerading as a cable harness is a bigger project :stare:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I have oxford grips on my bike (sport bike ones though...the only difference seems to be the grip pattern), I too ran a wire to the battery. This was a horrible mistake on my part. The off position is definitely off, I've had my bike sitting for a week without issue. However, you will forget them in the on position and return to a bike with a flat battery. I'm just too lazy to find an ignition-on wire to hook them to but I urge you to do the same. It just isn't worth the headaches. Additionally, don't trust the lovely double-sided pad they give you to secure the switch box to the bracket; it will last about a week in bad weather. Find some other means to secure it, like some sort of epoxy or what have you.

Grips work pretty well though!

My kit came with 4 small screws and holes in the bracket for them. That glue pad thing looked abit flimsy. A good tip with that plate light cable, I'll try to trace it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I washed the bike and took off the cover over the front sprocket before cleaning and lubing the chain. Really glad I did as there was probably some years worth of sand/dirt/oil gunk inside there. One place had a good inch deep deposit. Sprocket looked okay, worn, but not done.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

infraboy posted:

I can't tell if Honda stupidly decided to use crappy pad retaining screws that aren't meant to come out or are meant to be hammered to hell with an impact driver.

Yeah, that design really sucks.
I had a hell of a time with the pad retaining screws on my 93 transalp. Front brake had 2 of them. Soaked them multiple times over a week, but still needed impact driver + heat to get them loose. All in all, just a really crappy design.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Booked time for valve adjustment and carb sync for the 93 transalp. I've never done that poo poo before or know any mechanically inclined friends here that has done it. Given to what strange stuff I've found the POs has done or chosen to not do with other parts I'll let a shop deal with that bit right now.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got the bike back from the shop, sounds much better(as in not eating itself up) with valves at the right clearance and freshly synced carbs. It might be placebo, but I feel it's giving less vibrations at higher rpm too.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Put it into hibernation.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Took my transalp out of hibernation. Connected battery, shook the north sea goodness into uniformity, forgot the choke, remembered it then fired it right up.

Refreshed the brake fluid, front and back.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Replaced the fork gaiters, adjusted the headlight aim height, drained the crankcase breather hose.

Now to look for some metal clamps tomorrow to replace the plastic strips I had to use on the bottom, as the stock accordion ones only had metal clamps on top.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Edit: Well, I'd think so. The gaiters is 2 pieces, 1 fastened on top and one on bottom. on the back side of them is a velcro. If there is long periods of rain, or you've been out in a bad rain storm I'd just open the velcro and peel them upwards and downwards like a banana.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Stainless zip ties should work great for that? Biltema, art nr 24391.

Good call, I'll head there tomorrow.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 6, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Today I fixed the left front blinker. It was just a bit too much corrosion in the bulb holder. Contact cleaner, and some light filing was enough.

Also I replaced the plastic strips on the bottom of the fork gaiters with metal ones and put in a new bar end on the throttle side.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Lubricated the sticky high/low beam button with some ptfe lube. Lets see how long it lasts.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Washed it, lubed the chain and adjusted chain slack. Looks like I need replace the chain and sprockets this summer, chain is getting longer faster than before and some links was abit stiff before I lubed it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Drained coolant, flushed with cleaner and refilled with new coolant.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Fixed an small oil leak from the back cylinder. Thought it was the cylinder head gasket that was going, but it was only a screw on one of the clamps for the carb->engine inlet rubbers that had jiggled itself abit too loose.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, it looks like an oil leak. Apparently it's a known problem on the 600cc transalp v-twins. The screw works it self loose over the years or the rubber deteriorates.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Refreshed the k&n air filter and installed a Honeycomb seat cover.
Keeps me an extra 5mm off the seat. Mainly to get some better airflow during the summer and reduce the sitting in a puddle effect.

Not gotten a chance to try it yet, but looks to work as advertized.

Edit: rode to work this morning. Improved airflow actually made it a bit cold on my rear end with it only being 8c outside. Gonna be nice for summer riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOqqsSYzto

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 24, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've not tested dual-up on it yet, but I would think so, the seat is a bit more grippy.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Changed my chain and front sprocket.

Back sprocket was okayish and the bolts was stuck from years of crap so I left it for now. I need to get me some spare bolts, drat hex bolts probably need to be cut off with a dremel to get off.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 4, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, I got an impact driver, just getting some spare bolts first for when I inevitably gently caress one of them up.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

loving hell those back sprocket bolts was a pain to remove.

Couldn't just use a impact driver, since the bolts just spinned. Had to put it on a vice grip and use a huge breaker bar on the 14mm nuts while using another breaker bar on the hex bolts to keep them from spinning.

New back sprocket is on now though.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got the new tires on the new used wheels and balanced them. Next step is removing the brake discs from the old wheels and transplant them over. They have well over 5mm left everywhere on both front and back with replace limit on sub 4mm. All wheel bearings looked and felt good on the new used wheels so I won't replace them.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Moved the rear brake disc over to the new wheel and installed the new wheel. bye bye aluminium rot.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Painted over the low side damage, unbent the gear leaver some more, went over and inspected for damage but didn't find anything else.

Lucky..

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Tried for the 3rd time to balance the front wheel. Still got sideways wobble when letting go of the bars around 60-70km. Tried the "split weights in 4 areas bit" but that wasn't enough. As in if you need to place 40 grams you split in 4 parts, 10 grams on each side of the wheel and move each double area about 3 inches to each side of the point that needs the weight.

Since I only got a static balancer I can't test for the wobble on the balancer itself. But now that I have split it like that I can move 2/3 of the weight to one side at a time until I get it more stable.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 8, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Troubleshot a charging problem that have gotten from worse to bad. Now the battery is slowly draining with the lights on at any rpm.

The Stator is bad. I got different voltage from one of the 3 wires. Checked the wires all the way and there is no damage on them. Ordered a new used stator.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Did 98.000 km maintainance(oil, oil-filter, plugs, air-filter refresh) and replaced the stator. But, when I error checked the electrical system for errors trying to find why it didnt't charge the battery I stopped when I found one error. So I missed that the R/R is also faulty.. Back to waiting for parts.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Or get a mesh seat cover.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Replaced the R/R and went for a ride.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bzonif1tnvuzazt/AACJvZlK5InM7gnRFQOiqi7Da
Hit 100000km on my transalp 600.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got my new windscreen today to replace the old broken one. Needed to drill 2 extra holes, but the 2 lovely plastic popnails that came with it didn't work at all. Off to buy some proper plastic pop nails with alu stems tomorrow. I didn't take a picture :(

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Changed fork oil instead of doing a valve clearance check because of this..

gently caress..

I'm not quite sure on how to attack it. it's soft aluminium. I think I'll try with a better 10mm hex socket, and impact driver, + heat on the outside, and get a 12mm hex socket too.

New covers are avaliable and are pretty cheap, so I'm more concerned about getting it out than preserving it in any way.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Stopped the planned weekend trip early and instead swapped tires on my brothers bike.

His metzler m7s started to really deteriorate, glad we spotted it and went home.

He was happy with his new Pilot Road 4s.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Changed the stuck alu cap I need to remove to do my valves. Dremel + huge flathead screwdriver and rubber hammer.

Before with dremel trace:

New & shiny:

102k km

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ordered some doubletake mirrors and some spoked wheel weights.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Installed a cyclops 3600lumen led H4 bulb. I think i gotta be sure my low light is adjusted to my load from now on..

Osram nightbreaker low

Osram nightbreaker high

Cyclops low

Cyclops high

I think I need to modify/make a new rubber baffle around the base though, the stock one didn't fit. Not sure how much debris/humidity it actually blocks, it pretty closed in by fairings.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, I wont cover the fan, I'll just make a short baffle that sits more around higher up on the bulb. there is like a 1 cm gap between the fins near the fan and the back of the reflector i want to cover abit more. A local shop has a wash basin drain plug that looks suitable for modification. Just cut out the middle and maybe cut down the edges a bit.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Installed the adventure mirrors. They seemed very sturdy, and alot easier to adjust. Now just to fiddle with it for a year trying to find the perfect angle..

Stock:

Doubletake Adventure:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Put on a new rear tire, lost 2 loving hours by getting distracted and putting it on with the wrong direction and the it really wouldn't come off again. Got 9500 km out of my pirelli scorpion trail. Changed to metzeler tourance. The pirellis has been pretty good, though wore down pretty fast after 8000km.