Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
KDC67 did some work for me. She did 99% of the work of cleaning the carb for my 1971 CT1. She does great carb work. :-)

I pulled the carbs on the 1986 GS550ES, and determined I need to spend $20 on getting new pilot screws. I painted the wrong color side covers. They are better looking, but not sexy yet. I might sand them. I dunno, it's just going for sale soon.

I hooked the throttle up on my Peugeot 103. It's now got a 19mm carb. the thing sings a wonderful song now.

Hopefully, next week there will be a petcock for KCD67's ride.

I installed a taillight on my Fetish Cycles Penna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Today I ordered new Pilot screws for the 1986 GS550ES.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

kdc67 posted:

I rode my LT2 for 25 miles today.
fixed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

so you merely matched the speed my 5/650 will do. ;-)

I"m a little jealous too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Orange Someone posted:

I added another bike to my insurance. So now I own two 1993 CB400 Superfours. I feel somewhat Nero-like. 3 bikes in all.
I"m working on that. Yet there are two new yamaha's in the garage. One is mine, one is a coworkers. I acquired Squishy's 1996 WR250, and I have a 1971 U7E. Right now, my garage may well be 40% Yamaha by count. Probally 15% by weight.

Z3n posted:

That thing is sweet. I want to find an old kickstarted sub 400cc bike for cruising around town on.
This is the entire reason I own the GS425.

dietcokefiend posted:

Helped an old guy in a Caddy with a flat tire today.
Karma is half of what keeps riders from being dead. :-) good job. I stop for people all the time.

And to add to the thread:

Tonight I adjusted my chain tension on the '83 GS550ES. It needs a bath. I should get a new valve cover gasket and recheck it's valves.

I got my ex coworkers U7E able to sustain more than an idle. Stupid PO put on a craptastic fuel filter.

Yesterday I bought all the materials so I can make a new wiring harness for my '80 GS550E. I miss having 80hp, wide bars, and a motor that sounds like it came straight from a 60's British race car.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I rode mine. Tomorrow, may well be a 500+ mile day.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I had my friend change the brakes on my 83 GS550ES. .... And I got to do the test ride. I didn't die. And now it stops. Stupid oil contaminated pads.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I gave my 650 a bath. it's nice not to have year old rainspots on it anymore.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Never. Ever. Strip factory lube off a chain. Run it like you normally would. Add new lube as your normal scheudle would dictate.

As for WHAT I DID. Thursday I bench synced the carbs. Now the GS650E idles on 4 cylinders, all the time. I replaced the munged up pilot jet that I discovered a year ago. That required drilling it out... scary indeed when carb bodies are $200 a pop.

And tonight I am going to set the pilot screws somewhere sane. I did my usual 1.5 turns out. However it's lean as all hell now.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I rolled 18,000 miles on my Gs650. And put 200 miles on it. And tried to die by merging on top of someone. .... I'm lucky to be alive.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Halo_4am posted:

We also lowered the bike down an inch. The tales of Nero's ability to lower a bike are not overstated :P

I did some more work on Sunday. I made a license plate mount for my WR250. And proceeded to fall over at two stop signs because I couldn't get my foot down properly.

And I rode the GS650 to work today.

Yey motorcycles right? Next comes doing the valves and valve cover gasket on the GS650.. My pants have oil on them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I rode my WR250, and didn't crash it tonight. And went 16 miles. Holy crap does it make a lot of smoke.

Last time I fell over twice. :-)

It's going to take a while to get used to it's power delivery.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know about the revving issue -- I've heard that the level being too high can cause drag on the crankshaft and other moving parts, and that might account for it. However, the oil having gasoline in it is a bad sign, and means that your rings are leaking or worse. Tracking something that's liable to suddenly seize up and throw you off the bike does not sound like a great idea to me.

... all rings leak. That's a design feature. Especially when the engine is cold. It's not a sign that "the rings are leaking." it's a sign of a bad petcock, and some really dumb people deciding to run the bike even when they know "something" got in the oil.

Engines don't typically seize in any method that'll give you a bad day, and they don't do it without warning. So that wouldn't worry me much.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Broke mine.

Tamir came over to help do a valve job. Turns out we didn't have ANY of the right shims. So my Gs650 is sitting with a towel over the top end of the engine.

I lowered the forks in the triple on my Wr250, because that's going to be my bike this week. I discovered that the ICO odometer is also a Speedometer. (If I were smart, I'd have asked Squishy when I bought it.)

The thing is smoky as hell, I wonder if that'll get me pulled over...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ordered a mess of shims, a valve tool, and a valve cover gasket. All sins will be forgiven Wednesday.

And I forgot to mention, Tamir helped on the forks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Attempted to complete the valve job from last week. When I dropped the new shim in the bucket... It wiggled more than it should.

... they sent me 29mm shims. I need 29.5mm shims.

I'm not not exactly pleased.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I sold my 1979 GS425. Made some money on it too. I listed my WR250 for sale as well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Down to six. My workspace is full of GS650 right now, so I can't work on the Peugeot. Which is next on the block.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sell all that poo poo and get that GTS 1000. For serious.

Working on it. Seriously.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oh look, I unpacked my suspension parts.

As for the GTS1000, I need it in blue. Oh look... http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3680822551.html And that ad has been running for four months.

And while we're at it.

Goodbye GS425.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 10, 2013

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I started, and rode, every motorcycle in my garage that's capable of being started. So.. four.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Out of how many total?

Six. The moped and my 5/650 didn't move under their own power. .. The moped is going to get worked on this week. It's hipster season, and I can get top dollar for it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

iqarus posted:

Cost $4. looks heaps better IMHO

Wait six weeks, and when it starts to fade, or boot rub leaves you with a gelatenous mess..

IIRC, lemon pledge restores black surfaces, without the pain of removing the stickers later.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I put new fork springs in today and now my rear shock feels like an old banana.

I've been sitting on a set of springs and emulators for my 650 for... two years now. The rear shocks I put on, are very nice. 66 degrees tomorrow... oil change and ride day.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Wow, I haven't posted in this thread since 2016.

Lets see here:

Helped sell a SV650.
Sold the WR250.
Bought a Concours 1000.

I got the GS650 running as good as it ever has. Turns out the float valves were utterly shot. Of course a week later, I bought the Concours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I ordered parts from NZ to get my old dirtbike some electronic ignition. Also, I found out the Yamaha-Enduro people are ... weird...