Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well the B1250 has a feature that my old GS550 didn't, parking lights. Apparently if you leave said parking lights on through a 10 hour work shift and no one tells you, it'll drain the battery completely.

So there you have it... that's what I did to my bike today...

Oh yah, yesterday I got my bike to an indicated 135mph... just a hair over the 65mph speed limit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I dropped mine. Guy in a truck took a left hand turn a little too close for comfort as I was pulling up to a stop sign at a "T" intersection. My dumb rear end grabbed a handful of front brake and locked it up. Came to an immediate and abrupt stop and I went to stab my feet to the ground.

Found out that if your left foot is on the ground and your right foot is on the edge of the peg you can step down hard enough to upset the belence of your bike and tip over on to the right side.

End result was one scratch on the OMG sized can, light scuffing on the case and one smashed front right side turn signal. Didn't even put a mark on the radiator thankfully...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Over the last 3 weeks as a favor for a co-worker I've pulled, cleaned, put back together, bench synched and re-installed a set of carbs for an '85 VFR700. If anyone asked me to work on one of those ever again other than external/regular maintenance, I will kick over the bike, light it on fire and then slit my wrists. Why oh why V-4's do you have to be so difficult to work on?

Happy days though we stuck it all back on the bike and after priming the fuel pump and the carb bowls the bike fired right up. Then unfortunately gas started hemorrhaging out of the petcock all over the place. Now he's gotta wait for the petcock rebuild kit to come in...

petcock...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

zapateria posted:

Finally I own a bike! Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 S 2001.

I have a 2002 Bandit 600 sitting in my garage as well. If you ever have to clean the carbs, grow a 3rd arm/hand or find a buddy that can help you out. I hate "push/pull" throttle cables. One cable is always in the center of the carb and a complete paint to get to.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

On my B12 you could get the rack of carbs out of the engine before you had to take the throttle cables off, if you took them out of the right side of the bike.

Is that not the case with the 600?

Two of the four will stick out the side and then you can get your hand in there to get the cables out.

I'm mainly spoiled by the fact my first bike was an '83 GS550 with no airbox. Carbs out adjusted and back in again was literally a 20 - 25 minute job... And the new bandit 1250 has fuel injection.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Resource posted:

Adjusted my chain today and I'm at the last mark. Time for a new chain. I have no idea what I actually need to get to install a new chain, so this will be fun.

it's usually a good idea to replace chains and sprockets at the same time. Not always necessary of you keep everything in proper adjustment, but not a bad idea.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Resource posted:

Hmm, that's a lot of replacing, but I have heard that a couple times now, I guess that's something I'll have to do.

Now I just need to know what tools I need, and hopefully they'll be useful for all the bikes.

Is the chain something that's pretty easy to replace? I'm worried about doing it wrong and having it come loose and remove some of my favorite limbs from my body.

Chains are relatively easy to replace. The local shop and most online sites have a fitment guide. Follow that and any instructions. Also find out if you'll need to buy a separate masterlink. Rivet type master links will require a tool to put them on, clip type master links are easier to put on/take off.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
On my 1981 GS450E
Replaced the front springs with a new set from progressive, set the fork oil level to the correct height.
Replaced the front brake pads.
Replaced the rear brake shoes.
Renewed my hate for drum style brakes.

Rode around town enjoying brakes and front suspension, and contemplating how to go with the rear shocks. (cheap out and go progressive or get something a little more pricey like a set of Gazi shocks)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone here ever remove the chrome plating off say your exhaust pipes? I'm not much a fan of chrome and I bought a set of exhaust pipes for my bike. The rust on it is not too bad but I was thinking of removing the chrome and maybe spraying it with the ceramic high heat paint.

any ideas?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Today I replaced the brake fluid reservoir for the front brakes. When i opened it, the reservoir was empty, with just a little fluid on the bottom. Now that the reservoir is on and filled with the appropriate amount of brake fluid, now I can see that the front master cylinder is leaking too... Fix one thing, find another broken part, old bikes suck sometimes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Got a bit ambitious yesterday. Swapped the bent bar with a pro-taper 7/8ths model. Got new tires on the rims, got em balanced, new sprockets, new chain.

New list of things needing to be done.

Pull off the carbs and clean them, the bike spits and dies just off idle to about 4500 RPM. Idles great though, and pulls fine past 5K to redline. Probably pilots/needle passages clogged.

New brake pads, the ones on the bike have plenty of material left but look like garbage.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Over the weekend I drove out to Albuquerque NM (From Dallas), installed a new ignition switch, and installed an alarm to an old GS450 I gave to my cousin. Some rear end in a top hat tried to steal her bike 3 or so weeks ago butchered the ignition switch before noticing that there was a lock on the brake disk. The jackasses then attacked the lock with no success and left the bike behind.

(BTW the Oxford hasp type lock she had on there kept the whole thing from being stolen)
http://oxford-products.com/us/products/HD-Mini-Shackle-Disc-Lock.html

The alarm system I installed was drat easy to put in and I will recommend it to anyone:
http://www.gorillacyclealarm.com/motorcycle.alarms

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 25, 2015

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Yesterday I had to put a plug in my rear tire. I picked up a roofing nail somewhere. My shift is from Midnight to 10am, having a flat tire is the last thing I wanted while i was sleep deprived.
I will say the Slime tire repair kit with CO2 inflation worked out very nicely:

http://affordable-tire-sealant.com/20240-slime-atvtrailer-emergency-tire-repair-kit/

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Bought a Duke 390, less than 700 miles on it and I get an industrial staple in the back tire. Brought in for first service and they charged me 15$ to have the tire mounted and balanced while in for service. That was right before Christmas.

Yesterday I bought and changed out the tires on the bandit. (Back to the Michelin Pilot Road 4) This morning I was going around the neighborhood on a slow scrub in run and shakedown, when I get a piece of metal road debris in the rear tire. Thankfully it just pierced through the edge of the tread and not through the tire, plus I was going slow enough that I heard it hitting as I was riding and stopped immediately to figure out where the noise was coming from.

There are days I hate life and happenstance.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Found out the "gas tank" is just an outside cover on the Duke 390. Lots of space in there. Put a clamp on mount for my phone on the handle bars, then routed a USB cable from the battery tender adapter to the handle bars under the gas tank cover. (Yes I made sure there was enough slack to go lock to lock.) I'm already disliking the mount I chose. Is there a "go to" from the hive mind?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It was too drat hot to work in the garage, so I moved the bike into the living room and swapped on a "tail-tidy" from R&G.

Before:

After:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Schroeder91 posted:

Radiator fan on my Vstrom isn't working. Getting too hot at stop lights, no fan sound and didn't witness it moving when I checked. The fan will turn on if you short the connectors, so I think its the sensor that isn't working. Ordered a new one, hopefully it's not poo poo because it isn't OEM, and it's about 1/4 the price.

Edit: oh and one of the wires from the r/r to the stator was fried. No wonder I'm having charging issues. Tested the stator, seemed good. Got about 85-90v between each lead.

When you get the chance pull the Stator and check the windings/connections. Also put the leads on the battery and rev it up to about 5k or 5.5k while watching the voltage. See if the voltage winds up with the RPMs(should stabilize and stay near 13.5/14 IIRC but you'll have to check.), it's a sign the R/R is fried. (The R/R being fried a a common problem)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Spiffness posted:

Might be a perspective thing or my lovely phone, pretty normal proportions in person.

We didn't get home till late tonight, only got to put about 50 miles on it but I'll go in depth in the next few days.

Did you have the chance the ride the older model? They added a bit of wet weight to this one as it has a bigger gas tank, but they supposedly fattened up the mid-throttle power.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
maintenance on the Duke390

oil change - changed the filter and the two screens
Check tire pressures
adjust and oil chain

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Revvik posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WjhmXsU
I yanked them both out of this.

I can see both, but holy poo poo.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I will share in your KTM woes. My Duke 390 is randomly throwing "low oil pressure" errors. After reading a bunch of forums I have purchased a new oil pressure sensor.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Check the vents in the tank too, Nerobro of old rattle canned a gas tank and blocked off one of the tank vents. When he got near WOT, it would act starved of fuel until we got in there and opened it back up.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Today was chain and sprockets day. This is the shortest interval I've ever needed to change to 'em out.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I made a non-touring bike into a touring-ish bike:(click for big)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Revvik posted:

Got to use a center stand for the first time in my life today and I gotta say, fuckin excellent. Also, I’ve been mentally comparing the oil change on my 40 year old Honda to the one I did on my five year old KTM. One of these bikes ended up with a stripped drain pan bolt and snapped oil filter cover bolts, and had a ton of useless screens; the other was painless and intuitive. The answer may surprise you!

I have a Duke 390, so to me, the answer is obvious.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't anything about these bikes (why is the front rotor so large yet so small?), but I really like this color scheme.

Is there no rear brake?

Erik Buell liked to fix engineering questions no one was asking.

ZTL braking system up front.
The final drive in this side of the foto is about the same size as the rear brake.

The fuel is in the frame spars you can see, and the oil on some models was also in another section of the frame.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I put in a USB port/charger on the 2006 KTM390:

(click for big)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I ended up buying a 2020 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT this weekend: