Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is why supermotos are awesome:

Met some friends in the mountains today for some twisty riding, but they called it off due to cops and traffic. Instead, they suggested we go off roading. Even though it's rained up there the last couple days, and I have PR3 tires, I was 100% in for some poor decisions.

While this photo doesn't show it, we did mostly hilly narrow trails that were more challenging than anything I've ever done. Not super technical, but lot's of rutting, surprise rock patches, roots, mud, and generally very little traction. I put the 690 in "slow" mode before we hit the trails, and was stunned at how well it handled everything. I never went down, and plowed forward wherever I wanted, no matter how crazy it got.

Consider me shocked to my very core. I cannot wait to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

JB50 posted:

Is that part of a pool noodle on that middle moto?

May all of your valvestems leak, and your chains rust. My tool tube owns, and KTM provided me with no good options.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Bandit posted:

A/S(upermoto)/L

10000/DRZ/IN

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I haven't tried second gear power wheelies on my 690 since the test ride (sorry Jazzzzz), but this afternoon I decided to see if I had enough back pressure on the Wings to make it happen.

YEP. I was even sitting forward and the front came right up no problems at all. :dogbutton: I love this biek.

EDIT: I just remembered it's not even in sport mode, but the tamed standard mode. :aaa:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 3, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had been planning to do that, but a local KTM enthusiast told me that only the 690 Enduro models had that restrictor. Presumably to tame them off road. I was pretty disappointed to hear that, since it seemed like an easy way to get power.

Of course, I haven't done anything to increase power or torque yet because, after almost 4k, it still feels absurdly powerful.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

High Protein posted:

Well you can probably get a stock seat pretty cheap second hand, and I've also heard good things about Seat Concepts. I've also seen people say the KTM ergo seat is actually worse than stock.

Yeah, no question, get the Seat Concepts. Literally all day comfort. Gives you a reason to get them to install it on a new seat pan for you, too.

All I did was install the SMC fender instead of the Enduro fender, and now my 690 feels 2/3 the size, and I'm back to my WRx-hooligan self. It's the exact same bike, but suddenly I'm encouraged to jump curbs and explore and go down stairs and all that nonsense.

I'll never get over how changing something small on a motorcycle gives the mental perception of having a completely different vehicle. It would be like changing a fender on an Impreza, and ending up with a miata.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks! Those are RUND LED pods, on happy trails 690 fork mounts. They are some :getin: levels of output and build quality.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9GNAYE/ref=psdc_15736511_t1_B019X7HRDS
http://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/ktm/690-enduro-r/light-bracket.html

Coydog posted:

TRIP REPORT (Nitrogen's cam takes better night shots than mine, I think.):

Summary: The Cyclops 7000lum led bulb is everything the 3800 lum should have been. It works flawlessly with my 690 SMC reflector, where the last one was almost useless. I swapped the low/high wires back to stock, because the low is now amazingly useful.

The Low beam is what got the new brighter LEDs. Even better, it got a slightly warmer color temperature LED, which helps a lot. Cutoff is flawless

Just the 2017 Cyclops LOW:

Just the 2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH:

NO CYCLOPS BULB. JUST 2x 2800Lum LED pods. I didn't mess with camera settings. They really are that much brighter. Lookin' at you, JAZZZZZ.

2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH plus 2x 2800Lum LED pods:
If you're having darkness problems I feel bad for you son
I got ninety nine problems but light ain't one

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is why Sumos are the best bikes. Woke up to a beautiful Sunday, and headed up to some ORV trails for some rough riding all afternoon. Then, ripped it through the twisties to an entrance to fire roads, where I finished the day out catching the sunset on 40 miles of ridge line dirt roads.

Then took the highway 2 hours home because I got lost. Bike handled it all with aplomb.

Not a cloud in the sky all day.

It never looks as rough in pictures as it is in real life.

Mistakes were made, regrets were had. The only off I had all day, despite much harder sections afterwards.

Chill spot to stop for lunch.

I love this biek ya'll.

Late afternoon and sunset on this road was a relaxing end to the day.

cursedshitbox posted:

More shameless whoring of my bucket. went to point reyes. saw a 701sm in the flesh. got in a few miles of fire roads too.

Can't get enough of your DRZ getting hard use. That headlight really makes it, too, always.

mallard malarky posted:

Vail Colorado. Here's the one in Montana that I'm drooling over https://tinyurl.com/zll5oge

Leo Vince pipe, too. That's nice, for a very nice price. You should jump on that.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 27, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

What's it like riding on that sort of terrain with street tires? I imagine the gearing and suspension help a lot, but it seems like you'd spend more time sliding than hooked up.

Maybe that's the point.

It gets squirrelly in the rougher stuff in standard mode, sometimes. The "soft" ECU switch setting transforms the bike into a TW200 with loads of torque, and I always feel hooked up. It's even tractable on wet rocks/leaves/mud/roots.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

Rode the DRZ today, did some wheelies, just makes me more unsure about selling it.

Why are you even selling it in the first place? To get a better supermoto?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I was too impatient so I switched to the Enduro model but a set of wheels will take care of that.

I mean, Sigge at Husqvarna has to make all of them by himself, and is only allowed to make an even number of Enduro and Sumo models. Sigge wishes he could ask Sebastian for help, but KTM owns husky now and they have to follow tradition. This is similar to when Lukas had to make all of the 690's by himself, tirelessly turning out 50 of them in a year.

So of course you couldn't get the one you wanted in a big riding state like Georgia.

Props on finally getting those wheels, and in white, too! You should vinyl wrap half of them in that bright neon yellow.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I sent my supermoto down a fight of stairs tonight, with no damage to me or the bike. My buddy's FZ09 fell off a stand yesterday and now his tank is all dented up.

Sumo Supremacy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

I just picked up a 2017 WR250R and am loving it. Super sweet ride and got a good hassle free deal from a higher volume dealership at the end of the month. The quest for finding a used Craigslist one that wasn't thrashed/overpriced or sold immediately was too much of a pain.

I too would like to get some sumo wheels for it- again it seems like eBay or new Warp9 wheels seem to be the only reasonable option? Would finding the part number for WR250X wheels and ordering those be a way to go? Is there some other option I don't know about?

Seems like going up in rear sprocket size is common- I'd need a new chain do do that too right?

Any good suggestions for a bike stand? I've always had center stands, but it seems like I need a jack stand or one of those motocross stools?

Any suggestions for DOT sumo tires? Ideally something that works in wet/cold as well.

Congratulations, that's an awesome bike. Having the dirt setup already will benifit you down the road. I doubt you will find a pair of WRx wheels at any reasonable cost. Warp9's are the standard option, and I am not familiar with why people think they are subpar. You could also look into finding some cheap sportbike wheels like GS500 ones and do the conversion, if you feel creative and cheap.

Sprockets- Go straight for 13/45. It's a sublime balance between power and day to day utility, and improves highway power/top speed.

Tires- I had Pilot Streets on mine, and they were "just ok". Long life, decent all around, but I had a speed wobble on the highway that started when I installed them. I also found them to back out of twisties more than expected, which is cool but a mark against the tires.
If you can find Pirelli Sport Demons in your size, I recommend them 9001%. They last forever (almost 10k of highway and hard riding), and handle supernaturally.

Stand- Get this and forget the rest. I did literally everything, front and back, on the WR and EX250 and 690SMC, with just this stand, and I can take it with me if I want. http://www.endurostar.com/ I have a rearstand and I just can't be bothered to use it once I got the trail stand.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's terrible. Might as well just go with cheap alloys from other bikes, if you'd have to replace the wheel when you hit something too hard. So I guess the excell rims are the next option up.

To avoid running tubes, I still think alloys are a pretty rad option, if not as durable. This might help if you want to go that route. http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?157058-How-To-fit-sport-bike-wheels-to-your-Sumo-without-wheel-bearing-size-change

:krad:

Wanna do that to this purple frame one https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/6052798722.html

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 5, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a flask he converted to catch can for lots of fluids. You need a catch can so the track stays clear in the event of spill or overflow. He removed it and used a different type of catch can because he isn't cool, and hates good things.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Roc straps on the tail. Under the the plastic you can easily get to the rear subframe and it's perfect. I had a spiffy tail rack on mine, but doing it with just the subframe worked so well I wish I'd just done that all along. Put down a cloth if you are afraid of scuffing your tail plastic with the gear.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:allears: There is just something so special about supermotos with luggage on them. Supermotos are the ultimate in form following function.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Selling my WR250x on craigslist was an equal nightmare. Supermotos just attract idiots that think it's no different than an unplated dirtbike stuffed in a barn or something. The WR250x was extra frustrating because everyone thinks it's the same as the WR250F.

I'm really coming around on the DRZ, and I used to hate them. Saw a White/blue new DRZ-SM the other day and it was A) Beautiful and, B) Tiny. I'd daily one, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congrats and enjoy! Those are some of the best supermotos you can ride. Bonus protip: They have a 350 watt stator STOCK, so you can make it an indian summer in the middle of January. I dream of having that much wattage available.

I do miss your old DRZ, though :(

• Locked thread