Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I realize that I am awful at clutching up wheelies. I thought it was basically clutch in > rev it > dump clutch, but I don't get much of anything, even with my butt on the fender tool pouch. Is there anything else to it but practice?

At least I found a nice spot to practice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. I've wheelied it with a combination of throttle and hills before, but only once with the clutch. I tried in my backyard by just going WOT in 1st, but that just gave me a bunch of ruts.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I started out offroad and racing BMX, so that "trials" technique is what I'm used to. Although that Ryan Young video is probably the best explanation I've seen of it. I've definitely got some practice to do.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

apatite posted:

Would like to be able to ~badass STUNTAZ wheeliezz~ and it seems like bouncing the suspension at anything above 20mph is asking for it. Is this totally wrong? Is that what those guys are doing when I see them with one foot on a peg and a knee on the seat or are all those crazy bastards on youtube using the clutch?

It's me, I am the worst at being a hooligan and can't even blame the knobbies.

I always assumed they were using the clutch since I never see them compress the suspension before the wheelie. I can't figure out how they could wheelie without the clutch while only being half on the bike.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

What a DRZ isn't lovely enough to ride in the snow? I love mine that's why I treat it like dog poo poo.

I plan on riding mine this winter, but I really want to get a plastic tank because of how nice the paint looks on my stock one.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

epalm posted:

Would one expect the DRZ coolant overflow tank (on the clutch side, just under the seat) to generally be empty? Unless the bike is overheating and the coolant has expanded and overflowed. Right?

The tank is there to allow the coolant to expand under normal operating temperatures. Some people that you add more coolant directly into that tank to monitor the overall level more easily, but I haven't bothered with that since you can't just pour it in.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Absolutely none. Oh my god.

This is my dream sumo:
http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/184357-2004-tm-black-dream.html

Even with the knockoff Buell brakes?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Every rose has it's thorns, my man.

Seriouschat: Supermoto is probably an application where the ZTL style setup would work really well. It's a smaller bike, so you see gains from the lighter rotor assembly, the lower speeds means you're less likely to cook and warp the rotor, which is the primary problem that ZTL brakes have on bigger supersports.

I really would like to know how well that bike works. I've caught myself off-guard and lifted the rear wheel of my Firebolt before, so I can't imagine how fast a bike that's a couple hundred pounds lighter stops.

Do you know who makes that brake setup? I tried checking OZ racing's site, but nothing loaded right.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This is what you need to know about DR650s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJMYMC4jxKM

But really, you're going to be much more satisfied with the 400.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What's the best way to make sure aftermarket DRZ levers have the extra bit that hits the brake switch? Make sure it says that it fits the 400S/SM?

I just want some basic shorty levers. I have a set of Sunline ones but someone filed that nub off :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Razzled posted:

Not sure, but I bought some http://zeta-racing.com/lever/pivot_lever_cp/index.html
off of Baller Witness Bro a week ago and they fit perfectly. Only thing I had to reuse was the spring on the brake lever.

The Zetas are really nice, but I can't spend the money for a $50+ set of adjustable levers. I was just trying to find some that are basically the stock levers but shorter.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was asking about short, stock looking levers for the DRZ a while ago, and ended up finding these: http://www.drcproducts.com/control/d40-01/

Just put them on today. They're basically the stock levers but about half an inch shorter. And they're just $8 a lever from Wheeling Cycle.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't lower my DRZ's rear brake lever a bit by cutting the little adjustment bolt a bit with my dremel? I'll post a picture of what I mean when it's not dark out.

I was able to adjust mine quite a bit without cutting anything. If you're looking at the ThumperTalk post with the guy cutting the adjustment screw, I honestly don't know what he was gaining by cutting that bolt.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was able to get my pedal well below the plane of the peg without cutting anything and I'm about 90% sure that mine looks just like that (I won't see my bike for another few days, otherwise I'd check). You have tried adjusting it, right? All I had to do was loosen the nut that's on top of the bracket, then turn the hex up under the rubber boot until it was at the level I wanted.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Any of you DRZ bros have a Dowco cover? What size do you have? I currently have an XL that's falling apart, and it seems like the Adventure Touring size one might fit better

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

How much does the new Husky 701 weigh? The recent lanesplitter review said that it weighs the same as a DRZ, but that doesn't seem right. I assume it's close to the 690's weight.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is that the Seat Concepts seat, marxalot? What do you think of it?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Just how "grippy" is the grippy seat? I still want to move around if I go offroad

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That's about $5k over MSRP

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought they improved the ACCT after 03 or so, and the new one is much more reliable.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I keep finding people saying DRZ race sag should be about 90 mm. Do any of you know where this comes from? I can't find it in the manual or anything I have.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I talked my dad into a 400SM. If I was to swap wheels with my S, what else needs to swap? I know the rear sprocket, chain, front rotor, and speedo drive are different. Are the spacers all the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'd take it. I can pay you shipping if you want. Just shoot me a PM.

• Locked thread