Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Welcome to the WR250 family! I'm having so much fun with mine on a daily basis that it doesn't even bother me that my Husky is probably going to be down for a bit while I attempt to rejet the carb.

Word is renazco seats are the best and cheaper than Corbin. There's also these two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah it's a good idea to find a nice lot to hoon about in so you don't get fed up and start doing it on your way to work or something. I've gotten chased out of a few, one I found is gated off (cut through the woods) so I have it all to myself and one the cops saw me and didn't care. Having the stock exhaust goes a long way too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I saw the video name and figured it was someone riding up the down escalator so he could go up stairs forever. Glad I wasn't far off.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Ultimate fatass upgrade time!!

Aww yiss

It's been sitting there for a month now, mainly because I'd much rather ride my WR250x than try to rejet a carb.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Joke's on you, your bike does not have a carb.

Great one more thing I have to buy. :doh:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well I already bought the jet kit so I might as well carb it. Some guy on SMJ did it and says it ups the power quite a bit.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I was actually talking about my Husky in the original post, I'd rather ride my WRX than rejet the Husky. No way in hell I'd carborate my WRX.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Don't get me wrong, kickstarts are cool... When they work.

I could never get my Husky 450 to start with the kickstarter. I read all kinds of guides and it still never worked once. Then the kickstarter vibrated off the bike and I didn't realize it for three days and couldn't find it. Popular opinion was not to use it anyway because the engine blocks were made in Czechoslovakia that year and can crack from kickstarting. I really would like to kick over a bike someday though.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Would CA drive 5-6 hours round-trip to do a sumo race in the rain? I figure it's either an easier way to start getting comfortable sliding around or a horrible idea that will leave me hating my bike and myself.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Gullous posted:

I would try to trailer the bike... Riding the track is about not holding back, which risks a crash. Either you'll hold back and enjoy it less, or risk a crash and be hosed.

Oh I'm definitely not riding there, Husky's going in the back of my truck. I was just wondering what to expect from a rain race day.

1600 miles on a sumo is a good stretch, what tires did you have on there and did they last? I'm gonna need to replace the distanzas on the WRX soon and would like to go the "sumo-touring" route.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sumo in the rain on the track is the most fun I've had at a track day. Start slow and get comfortable, find the slick spots on the track and learn where the traction is. Once you know when and where the bike will want to slide you can have a lot of fun.

Plus you won't destroy tires as quickly sliding in the rain.

Well it didn't rain so I lucked out on that. More class craziness though. They created a beginner group but the other beginner, being the organizer, was too busy to race. As a result they threw me in the liquid-cooled mini class which kinda sucked because I was hauling rear end on on what little straights there were only to get stuffed in turns. Also trying not to run over the guy in front of me gridding at the back of a pack of minis.

Looking at my times I would have been better off running in both Novice 450 and Asphalt-only where I would have been towards the back of the pack but not last. From my earlier race I was actually 5th out of 8 in Novice 450. Really what it is is more people need to race sumo so all the classes don't get combined in weird ways.

The upside is I dropped two complete seconds off my time. And since I was the only one in my class I got a 1st place ribbon, haha.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

Why can't I just by a nice late model exotic Italian specialized semi-racing bike?

Good Huskys are out there, they just tend to be 450/510s instead of 610s, which are really rare. And while the 510s like to blow up regularly, the 450s seem to hold together pretty well (mine will self-destruct now that I typed that).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

The maintenance schedule in the owners manual is in "race hours" I believe it was oil/valves every race, piston and rings every 10 hours, connecting rod every 15 hours.

I haven't kept anywhere near that schedule though.

There are two different maintenance schedules though. The hours one is only "for competition use with full power engine". Regular street use with "limited power engine" is only 3000 mile oil changes and 6000 mile valve checks. Not sure where a full-power street use Husky would fall, but a lot of street riders seem to like 300-500 miles for oil and 1000 miles for valves.

I have to wonder why I couldn't rebuild the motor myself though. It seems like even mechanically proficient riders won't touch a race-ready 450, like there's some magic to it that only real engine builders can work out. There is even a step by step guide for tear-down and assembly.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah just setup to run lean from the factory. Mine is an 06, which is carbureted so it has leaner jets and needle. It's a big difference in power once you rejet. There is also a throttle stop and of course a restrictive exhaust.

Later models are fuel injected so they run a leaner map with an oxygen sensor.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

What's a good psi for two lane highways? I run 26/28 in my WRX but after a 320 mile day on a country road my distanzas are flatter than a car tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just the CRZ. I have my 83 supra which is nonop and a 78 xs1100 which is another deal. No working bike though.

Did you really get 78 mpg with that WRX? I never had stock gearing but the most I got was 65.

• Locked thread