Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Kickstart-only update: gently caress kickstarts!

I stopped to fill it up with gas on the way to my brother's house where we'll be fixing it up. It started up easily enough at my apartment. After trying to carefully fill the ridiculously small tank without splashing fuel everywhere, I go to to start it and it would occasionally sputter, but not turn on. Of course I began to get incredibly claustrophobic in my leathers and helmet, took a break, had a harley riderr ask if I need a jump, and then finally got it running. Then on my way to my destination I must've let out the clutch a little too abruptly and stalled it in a residential neighborhood. Trying to start it again was an awful experience. Fortunately I wasn't too far from where I was going, and I was brought some water. After a break I finally got it running again.

I'm not sure what the trick is since I've been doing the same thing every time. Bring it to top dead center with some help from the compression release, push the crank just slightly past top dead center, and then kick it. We'll see if I can perfect it anymore. But now, priority number one and two are to get a new set of tires (at least the rear since the chain looks like it's rubbed) and pick up an Li-Ion battery and reinstall the starter.

And I've probably sweat my entire body weight in water today.

I guess there's a reason electric start was invented. My wife has a 74 cb400 with a kickstart, she uses the electric start, although I dont think the kickstart is too hard. I should try it some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

SmokedSquid posted:

That'd be fantastic. There's a hardware store down the road that's closing down, and it would be neat to pick up what I need at half price. In other news, I recently picked up my DRZ. It has the gaudiest sticker job I've ever seen:

lovely phone pic but the point is that ROCKSTAR ENERGY seems to have taken a giant poo poo all over it.

My rear end hurts just looking at the stock seat.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

kuffs posted:

Good grief. Okay those dudes are just wholesale insane, then.

They mostly know what theyre talking about though.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I rode a 690 tonight and it wasn't anything at all like I expected. I've been on the FZ1 too long. drat nice for a sumo though.

What were you expecting, and what was it like?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

kuffs posted:

The JD jet kit and 3x3 mod with stock exhaust seems to have made mine pretty fun. $80 invested.

Thats all I did too (besides cosmetics) and I love my wheelie tractor!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The hardest part of rejetting for me was just getting the carb out of the frame.

Fuckers in there tight.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

How are supermotos for highway/long distance riding?

I did a trip around lake superior on mine, and even with the corbin seat it was torture. Serious case of monkey butt by the end. The vibration through the handlebars will also make your hand go numb eventually. It is most def not a touring bike. Its fine for going to work and back though.

On a DRZ400SM BTW.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 15, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

epalm posted:

I'm also OCD when it comes to straightness and symmetry. Bought my 2011 DRZ SM from the PO who had recently crashed it. The bars were bent, and no amount of un-tightening/re-tightening the triples got things perfectly straight. Turns out one of the rubber bushings was semi-destroyed, causing the bars to sag a little to one side. I replaced the rubber bushings with rubber killers and all was right with the world once again.

I think I had that same problem with my kx-250 years ago, and the only fix was to replace the rubber bushings.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Its not symmetrical:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

XYLOPAGUS posted:

First guy on the list for the 701 at the husqy dealer in Austin! Weeeeee!

Any word on the price yet?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

XYLOPAGUS posted:

No idea what it costs.

I assume you people can ride in February.

Not unless its one of those ice racing motorcycles. MN in Feb is a brutal place to be.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Koruthaiolos posted:

You do know which bike he's talking about, right? Everybody should be fine riding it in February (just get the dealer to give you ice tires for being an early adopter):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euuQZu7ODi4

Oh ya forgot about that video. Youd probably get run over by a snowmobile though.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Akion posted:

What's the out-the-door price on that 701?

Im guessing 15k+

Any other guesses?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

leg, testicle of your choice, and first 3" of your dong.

Make it the middle 3" and we got a deal!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sometimes I drag a knee:

Sometimes I drag an elbow too:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

So I put a new exhaust on my drz and did an airbox mod. The bike is running lean so I bought a jet kit to fix things. I bought this kit: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/JD-Jetting-Jet-Kit-DR-Z400S-SM-p2006766373.html

I also posted on the thumpertalk forums and asked how to jet it. I was told to use these settings.
160mj - Blue #4 - 25pj - 2 3/4 turns out.

I have never had a carbed bike before so this is all new to me. What does Blue #4 mean and what am I supposed to turn out 2 3/4th turns? Also is this something I can do just by watching a youtube video or should I take my bike to a professional?

Airbox mod and rejetting is the best thing I ever did for my DRZ, and surprisingly easy. I found the hardest part to be getting the carb out of the frame. Its in there tight!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks for the advice regarding the carb.

How should I drill out the cap for the air fuel screw?

Also, is the settings I was recommended good to start with? I live in pittsburgh. The altitude is 1365 ft. I'm running the yoshi rs2 exhaust with the 3x3 mod.

Use a drill bit

The settings are probably good, the people at Thumpertalk know their stuff.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Yerok posted:

I don't understand why people love the JD kit for the BSR36 but I had such terrible luck with their FCR39MX kit on my DRZ.

You kinda answered your own question on this one.

Yerok posted:

Their jetting suggestions were horribly, stupidly rich and all of the powersports places I talked to that do dirtbikes just started laughing when I told them I was using JD needles.

Whose suggestions? Did they say why JD needles are so bad? Its just a carb tune, I dont get it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I hate that it's nigh loving impossible to get tje airbox boot on it right.

I found the cover almost off with one bolt halfway screwed in.
#justDRZthings

Airbox? Isnt that the oil filter cover? Why is your finger in the pic? That frame is straight wore the gently caress out. that rusty allen bolt is also very troublesome, it may turn to dust if you ever try to turn it. This pic raises so many questions it hurts my brain.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Just buy a second moto for dirt.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

It was finally warm on Saturday and I decided to ride my DRZ, but it wouldn't start. It's been in storage for about 4 months (climate controlled basement, on a trickle charger, fresh gas before I put it away)

It just cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. The choke seemed to be working fine (it sounds slightly different cranking it with the choke on, per usual). It's always started a little rough after sitting through the winter, but never this bad. The battery eventually died and I ran out of time waiting for it charge and more snow is coming, so aside from just trying to get it started, I won't be riding it anytime soon.

05 DRZ with an FCR carb. Where should I start? My motorcycle mechanic skills are not that great.

F - Fuel, Did you turn the gas on?
I - Ignition, did you turn it to run?
N - Neutral, is it in neutral?
E - Turn the key on?

C -Clutch

Sounds like you may not be getting gas, or maybe a bad plug? Whens the last time you changed the spark plug?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

That light/signal cluster on the tail is ugly as gently caress. Looks like an afterthought.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They're all afterthoughts on every bike

Why the weird extension though? Must be a DOT thing.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Why didnt your bike work for poo poo?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Deeters posted:

That's about $5k over MSRP

Maybe thats a $5000 exhaust.

It isnt

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Verge posted:

I mean yeah but if you notice, all of these except dirt bikes have a bucket for your rear end. There's nothing keeping you from falling off but your knees. Is it really all knees?

Dirt bikes are like sitting on a 2x4. There is no bucket. How exactly do you think youre just going to fall off?

JB50 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 23, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Are WRs fast? Isnt it a 250?

If youre worried about how fast it goes maybe you dont GET supermotos.

I often wish the DRZ had a 6th gear though.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I just assumed he was talking about the WR450, not the 250.

I'm ballparking the numbers because I cba to google, but I think the 450 makes about 50whp, while a bored out (non grenade) $$$ DRZ makes high 40s. Could easily be wrong, DRZs are fat.

The WRx is a 250.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I don't know if it's correct, and I don't really understand dirtbike naming schemes for the most part. But a lot of nerds on the internet refer to WR450s and 250s as WR(numbers)x.

I've never ridden a stock DRZ, but I can't imagine it being sluggish compared to a 250. Fairly identical, sure probably. But I'm just assuming he means the 450s. Which are generally mean as poo poo compared to a pokey rear end stock DRZ (35 crank? Idr)

The 450s are conversions for street. Yamaha doesnt sell a street legal version. Thats why I assumed he meant the 250.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Razzled posted:

Well he owns a 250 so also there is that. Obviously a 450 makes the drZ look like a joke

Ya pretty much any dirt bike is gonna make the DRZ feel like a tractor.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Which state in the midwest?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

A tach really? Hahahahaha.

I too ride my moto by looking down at the gauges all the time.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Thats nothing lemme list all the problems Ive had with my 2009 DRZ:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Give it time.

my 01: broken cam chain, worn top end, 4 broken spoke, blown hg. numerous other little things, but you can't expect much out of a frame + the rest in revzilla boxes/buckets.

Whats a blown hg?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jazzzzz posted:

head gasket

Makes sense. To be fair I barely ride my DRZ and it only has 6800 miles on it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Never go full Motard!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ive heard good things about the Renazco seats. Wish I had got that instead of the Corbin. Corbin is light years better than the stock seat, but its still pretty hard. Maybe I just need a fatter rear end. :shrug:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Coydog posted:

This is why supermotos are awesome:

Met some friends in the mountains today for some twisty riding, but they called it off due to cops and traffic. Instead, they suggested we go off roading. Even though it's rained up there the last couple days, and I have PR3 tires, I was 100% in for some poor decisions.

While this photo doesn't show it, we did mostly hilly narrow trails that were more challenging than anything I've ever done. Not super technical, but lot's of rutting, surprise rock patches, roots, mud, and generally very little traction. I put the 690 in "slow" mode before we hit the trails, and was stunned at how well it handled everything. I never went down, and plowed forward wherever I wanted, no matter how crazy it got.

Consider me shocked to my very core. I cannot wait to do it again.

Is that part of a pool noodle on that middle moto?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

How is that even a thing, or remotely acceptable?

LOL Italian engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I got this bad rear end rack for my DRZ:

Bit spendy at 190. I ended up just sticking a Givi mount on it anyway because gently caress messing around with straps.

• Locked thread