Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone have pro/cons for deciding on a DR650 vs a DRZ400SM? I've heard a lot of good things and bad things for both but nothing definitive. Would sumo'ing up a DR650 be a better idea if I also want to commute (~20miles) down to work on highways because of the additional weight? I'm decent with ratcheting stuff, what I don't know I can definitely learn pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Infinotize posted:

Well I am a brrrapper now (wr250x).

Initial thoughts:
  • one thing to read about but amazing just how bad on the highway it is (had to go 4hrs home) even compared to ex250
  • don't know how anyone can ride with bar end mirrors, literally cannot see anything behind me
  • sooo awesome in the city
  • oil filter is just so cute

This will take some getting used to coming from literbikes.

Was it mostly vibration or was wind buffeting pretty bad too? I'm curious to hear your experiences on the EX250 too as that will be what I use to lead into eventually getting a DRZ

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Any of you DRZ400SM bros ever swap out gas tanks and have any suggestions?

Some googling led me to this: http://safaritanksusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=4

But that looks kind of ridiculous. I think Clarks USA makes a 3.9 gallon that might be good?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is there any real concern over the oversized tanks being easier to puncture due to road hazards/dropping the bike? Since they don't look like they're protected by fairings.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Z3n posted:

I really preferred the IMS tank over the clarke on the DRZ - 4.2 gallons of capacity and a nearly perfect replica of the stock setup, except now the wings carry fuel as well. Didn't cause the front of the seat to turn upwards like the Clarke does. That Safari tank looks cool too, although much bigger.

There is very thick plastic on the wings, so abrasion usually isn't an issue in crashes.

Does the IMS 4 gallon allow you to use the stock shrouds? That price point seems pretty good-- I doubt I'd need 28 liters from the Safari, but I do want something more than the stock tank.

e: looks like only the 3.2 allows the use of the stock shrouds, still 3.2 gallons seems pretty good

Razzled fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 24, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Well it's official. I am now the terrified and excited owner of a new 2014 DRZ400SM.

I got to go see it in person while signing off on final documents at the dealership and man it is so pretty. I was terrified by its idle rev noise because my brain was all "dam that is not a CRF 230"

Hopefully I can pick it up before the weekend and get to breaking in the engine (a process which I still don't really get)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
About how many miles do you guys think is necessary for the piston seal break-in? Am I really gonna have to do this constant revving/downshifting oscillation style of riding for 600 miles?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you bought your drz with the intent of NOT constantly revving and downshifting, you may be disappointed...

I guess I'm just not really understanding how to maximize the potential of my bike in this break in period. Really the only thing that kind of bothers me is the "don't idle" part. There aren't many country roads around where I live so I'm gonna be doing this on the highway and streets

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Does anyone have a concrete opinion on the DRC edge2 tail lights? I need replacements for my OEM setup but I don't want anything that is overtly unsafe because it's hard to see. Is the +$80 12oclocks upgrade board necessary to bring it into the realm of safety?

Also can you use the stock blinkers with it?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Safety Dance posted:

Unrelated, but I can't imagine having a 20 mile round trip commute, much less a 60 mile commute. I've found that my quality of life is best when I have somewhere between a 1 and 3 mile commute -- around 15 minutes on a good day. How do people do it?

Man I woulda thought you'd understand being from GA! Mine's like ~50 miles a day just from alpharetta to midtown atlanta

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
DRZ bros, I got my Zeta bends in today and I'll be installing them over the weekend. Do these things plug straight into the bar ends or am I gonna have to do some messing around to get it to fit right?

Also drat they're way bigger than I thought they would be

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

apatite posted:

You might have to cut off the end of the throttle tube

Yeah I think I read somewhere you want like 3mm of clearance from the end of the bar? I thought I could just scoot the throttle to the left but you have to actually cut it?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

apatite posted:

I believe both my Yamaha and the DRZ had throttle tubes that were not "open" on the end so you can't stick the expanding nut-thing for the handguard into the bars. This also means you can't just scoot it over. You have to cut off the end of the tube to open it up, and yes it is a good idea to cut it a little further in so there is no chance of it binding on the handguard

Ah, mine is open I think. I've got a 2014 and the stock bar end weights screw into a thread that's further inside the handlebar, but the rubber of the throttle grip doesn't encompass the side of the handlebar end.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
>>>DRZ Thread

Ok so today I installed DRC edge taillight (kept stock blinkers), Zeta armor bends, and the Zeta XC handguards with flashers. I'm stuck on the wiring for the flashers though. According to the XC installation manual black = ground and red = power, ok great. But I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for the DRZ400sm that says which is ground and which is power on the bike. Is it safe to just trial and error them?

Also, is it possible to use both the stock front blinkers AND the XC handguards? I'm thinking about cutting the stock wires to reuse the plastic connector and the splicing the XC Flashers and the stock blinkers into one set of wires and then reattaching that to the connector. The benefit of this is I would get increased visibility and I wouldn't have to deal with a relay or resistor to slow the flashing on the LEDs.

e: thanks goons

Razzled fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 11, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I was perusing some vids and even though this one is old (new to me) it was probably the coolest motorcycle thing I've ever seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OEGTQXEEjE;t=1m25s

Is that like a common thing they do in the supermoto races or is that dude just some wild bad rear end off the streets of king cool island?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone know the background behind this hilarious fight?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4GNxEWQik;t=50s

before that time mark it's just car stuff :[ couldn't see what set the KTM rider off

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Deeters posted:

What's the best way to make sure aftermarket DRZ levers have the extra bit that hits the brake switch? Make sure it says that it fits the 400S/SM?

I just want some basic shorty levers. I have a set of Sunline ones but someone filed that nub off :v:

Not sure, but I bought some http://zeta-racing.com/lever/pivot_lever_cp/index.html
off of Baller Witness Bro a week ago and they fit perfectly. Only thing I had to reuse was the spring on the brake lever.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hey guys so rather than mess with the tank and change the riding characteristics while I'm still getting used to stock config, I've decided to just get a luggage rack and a roto-pax tank for my longer ventures.

I do want to keep the tool bag though and it doesn't seem possible to do that on the rear with the rack I want:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ400S-SM-...9e5654c&vxp=mtr

Is there any other good place I could store it without it falling off or anything like that?
I think some people put theirs on the front fender-- is that just a fanny pack type situation or is there some kind of mount I need to get?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

tjones posted:

The only option here is to fabricate two mailboxes as luggage boxes.

That would be multiple felonies every time I layer dan though

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yerok posted:

Mailboxes will never stop being a thing in CA now. Be proud Razzled.

Believe me, it's not just CA. The guys at work won't let me live it down either lol

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I called my dealership's service dept. to see what exactly they can do for my DRZ. I asked them if they could do things like the loctite fix and he was basically like "what, no that is a dumb idea". I don't trust myself to do it, the guide on TT is basically word soup and I have no loving clue how to even start. Not to mention I don't have a torque wrench.

Is it really all that dire of a thing that it NEEDS to be done?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yeah, it's the CS sprocket one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I kind of feel like I'm in a weird position for doing this stuff though. I mean, the bike is a brand new 2014 so I'm not even sure I need to do it. I feel like if I gently caress with it, I will definitely cause more problems than if I just left it alone.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Oops, I was thinking of the wrong DRZ owner! My bad haha. I think after 05 the loctite fix isn't such a big deal. It's really easy - since your CS sprocket is still basically new you're probably safe fixing it on there....or use this as an opportunity to splurge on new sprockets and a chain and save your stuff for later emergencies if needed.

FWIW you can probably find a chain that'll work for ~70 bucks on Amazon and sprockets should be like pretty cheap for plain steel ones.

If it's gonna be under warranty for a while just ride it IMO. Let them deal with it but I don't think it's going to be an issue at any point. It's something you should be able to catch if you just check on it every once in a while also.

Ah that makes sense, cool thanks. I've got 3 years of warranty so I'll probably just ride it out.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone have powermadd handguard mirrors? I'm wondering how adjustable they are-- my clutch side armor bend is kind of angled differently from the brake side to accommodate the clutch cables comfortably. Can you change the looking angle up and down or is it only left and right?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I found a local supermoto group of like 100 dudes who ride a lot together... problem is they are so very different from CA. They don't do track days or anything like that because it's mostly college kids and the only gear anyone wears is a helmet pretty much. All the videos they post are of them doing wheelies or riding power line trails. It looks awesome and fun, but I do not think I should ever ride with them. I still need to just take it easy for a while, but I was wondering what you guy's thoughts are on riding with dudes who don't share your safety... philosophy?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

hot sauce posted:

I'd definitely go out and meet up with them, at the very least make some new friends. However, it might not be the best idea to go on a hooligan group ride given the amount of experience you have. A lot of stupid stuff happens on group rides due to distraction or trying to keep up. Just feel things out, if they are idiots then just don't meet up with them a second time.

Sounds about right. They're planning a huge group ride for Labor Day weekend, I figure that's a good time to go see what everyone's about. It'll give me some more time to practice too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
By the way, is there any reason I shouldn't throw a kickstarter kit on my DRZ? I want to have my service guy do it when I come in for first service

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Marxalot posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy these two and mount them on my DRZ? I kind of want a tach and having a speedometer that's supposedly accurate would be nice.

I think the only thing is they're kind of cheap feeling/looking right? Also, the backlit display doesn't turn off until like 20 minutes after you've turned the bike off so at night it can kind of act like a beacon if you're parking on the street or something.

I'm not sure if there was a way to make it turn off instantly or not, but other than that it's the go-to for people when the OEM speedo breaks.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The next day, at Warp 9 HQ.

haha this is awesome, is this the raid 2?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nidhg00670000 posted:

For shame Razzled, for shame.

Hard Boiled.

I will rectify this egregious mistake shortly. (no not with suicide)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I went on my first "long" (~150 miles) ride yesterday and noticed a couple things. 1) My riding posture sucks and my back was aching a lot towards the end of the trip. 2) My hands felt like a half full jar of coins, like the bones were just jangling around. I assume this is due to the vibration of going highway speed and me gripping the bars much too tightly.

Some of this is clearly fixable with some input on my end but I think also some of it can be alleviated with some additional parts. I was thinking bar risers and a new bar, according to motorcycle ergo if I got another 1" of lift on my bars my arms would be level instead of angled downward. Would also help with standing up.

Thoughts?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Sounds good. I never expected it to be a monster in the comfort department but if I can make it so I don't have to hunch while standing that's good enough

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You're insane if you take your DRZ on the interstates or anywhere above 60.

It ain't all that bad. Granted, I'm still iffy on traversing the 4+ lane highways. But I took a couple state routes up north to get to the mountains and it was fine.

@Marx+Echo

Thanks guys! And yeah, I wear gloves when I ride. I think in retrospect I was death gripping the poo poo out of the bike at times, especially the throttle. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with gripping the tank with my knees. I can do it obviously but I just don't feel like I can get a solid purchase on it, not like on a sportbike. So I think that is part of why I instinctively want to grip the bars so tight. Also I was leaning forward-ish a lot because when I leaned back the visor on my helmet (was using an mx helmet + goggles) was catching enough wind to make me flex my neck which was kind of annoying.

I'll try some pillow tops since they're cheap and then go from there. I'll probably just save the risers and bars for when I have first service, and just make them do it.

And most importantly, I'll learn to deeeeeaaaaal with it!

cause this bike is the poo poo

Razzled fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 6, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yeah, after doing a few 200+ mile days, the stock seat isn't all that bad. It could be better but that better exists on a new bike, not in any of the aftermarket options.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone with zeta armor bends know the bolt size off the top of their head for the part that secures the inner portion of the hand guard to the bars?

Big one on the right there. My DRZ ejected one while I was riding... need to replace it and order some loctite

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Marxalot posted:

Order loctite? Just get a bigass thing of it at home depot/lowes/harbor freight/walmart/target/a local gas station.

If nobody posts a size by the time I get back from work then I'll measure one of mine.

I'm good, I found it out... M6 for the smaller one, M8 for the bigger one that goes to the clamp.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
You goddamn monster what did you do to that biek

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Pit bikes would be fun, xr100s are even funnerer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9XwfiNicF0

Once I finish sorting out my carb issues, I'll be taking my sumo'd xr100 here for some fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
When I replaced my taillight with the DRC edge I just spliced the old connectors. Its not hard to do a good job. Just make sure to use good heat shrink tubes to cover the solder/exposed wire

• Locked thread