Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think you have to machine the head to accept the type of auto-decomp mechanism that the E's had. The S and SM's have a different one designed for the electric start.

From what I understand if you are a man you can kick it anyway :iiam:

Afaik the auto decomp on the S and SM exhaust cam still works with the kickstart, you don't need the manual decomp that the E head has. you just ignore those parts of the kit when fitting.
I was thinking of getting one just because kicking a bike is a lot more manly than push butan, and also because the lovely battery and lack of an off switch for the headlights has caught me out a couple of times in cold weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is for sale near me.
http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cr500/6201598

echomadman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 22, 2014

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ought ten posted:

edit: Here's me. Thanks acerbis fender!

Even with the stock front mudguard you get destroyed in the wet on a Drz sm, the 17'' wheels are too small a diameter and throw the mud out past it.
I'm still trying to find a lower mudguard that will fit.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Putting together a shopping list to finally mount the FCR I got for cheap on my drz, have all the jets and gaskets etc ordered but now i need to sort out the throttle cables.
Will the E model cables fit in an SM throttle tube? The cables on there now for the mikuni won't work at the carb end, but a 20 quid set of E cables is an easier solution than the 100 quid motion pro set/trawling ebay for a complete E throttle assembly.

edit: also learn from my mistakes, after all the poo poo i'm buying today my cheap FCR is really only saving me about 150 quid over buying a specific kit outright, and may still not work as i can't test it till I get the loving airbox adaptor. All due to lying ebay cunts that say "yeah this came off a running drz brah, for sure", it came jetted for something way bigger than a drz and missing an o-ring form the AP so no way was whatever it was on running properly

echomadman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 22, 2014

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I used the R&G Tail Tidy, highly recommended.

Looks like this.

If you ever plan to ride in the rain don't scrap the OEM tailpiece, all those tail tidy ones mean you will have a brown line of road dirt up your back every time you ride.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Unrelated, but I can't imagine having a 20 mile round trip commute, much less a 60 mile commute. I've found that my quality of life is best when I have somewhere between a 1 and 3 mile commute -- around 15 minutes on a good day. How do people do it?

I have a 20 mile round trip commute and it only takes me 10~15 mins each way depending on traffic. I used to have a 2 mile commute and I always felt like i was just putting unnecessary cold wear on my bike when I used it to go to work.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My rear Pilot power has squared off after ~2500 miles, looking at getting a set of Distanzias next and cant decide whether to go for the softer sumo variant in 150/60 17 or the harder compound 150/70 17. Threads on various forums put the softer 150/60 at about 1500-2500 miles tops and the 150/70 at 6000+.
Anyone have any experience with either or preferably both?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SaNChEzZ posted:

Make sure you use a zip tie on the door of the toolbox though, BotchedLobotomy once littered the road with spanners and had no idea :downs:

I lost two nice disklocks thanks to that bag opening one day.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

So I went on my first "long" (~150 miles) ride yesterday and noticed a couple things. 1) My riding posture sucks and my back was aching a lot towards the end of the trip. 2) My hands felt like a half full jar of coins, like the bones were just jangling around. I assume this is due to the vibration of going highway speed and me gripping the bars much too tightly.

Some of this is clearly fixable with some input on my end but I think also some of it can be alleviated with some additional parts. I was thinking bar risers and a new bar, according to motorcycle ergo if I got another 1" of lift on my bars my arms would be level instead of angled downward. Would also help with standing up.

Thoughts?

It takes a while to get bike fit so that long rides are comfortable, so thats part of it. You're already aware that you're holding on to the bars too tight, thats something you should be consciously working on every ride. If you're tall or have a long back then risers will probably help.
While the drz seat isn't renowned for comfort its not that bad, you can move around a lot on it, and standing up for a while every now and again to stretch out helps. sometimes on long boring motorway stretches i throw my legs up on the tank scoops and ride it like a chopper

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Minty Swagger posted:

Ha yeah I suppose I'm over thinking it. Jack stands it is.

I use an old beer crate to hold the bike up when i'm taking the wheels off my drz.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

EDIT: This page has a stats comparison between DRZ / XR
http://rideexpeditions.com/honda-xr-400-vs-suzuki-drz-400-which-is-better/

Pretty much identical.

It's worth noting that's comparing them from an enduro perspective and the suspension on the S, E and K DRZ models isn't the same as the SM, which has better, (albeit comically mismatched front-rear) suspension than the XR.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
While you have it taken apart that far you could fit an E base gasket too and get a little bump in compression/power.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

henne posted:

I take it that's the cylinder base you are talking about? Would changing to an E head gasket make a difference as well?

yeah its the base gasket, the E one is a single layer the S and SM is a 3 layer type. afaik the head gaskets are the same.

EX250 Type R posted:

no hes talking about the top gasket that alters the distance from the head to the piston

Thinning the base gasket also does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Putting my 17'' wheelset back on the drz as i don't like how the E wheels feel above 50mph on the road.
Anyone tried Michelin Power RS's on their sumo?

• Locked thread