Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The drz master is fine, and performs great actually, which is why i'd buy another. An r6 master that's sized to move two 6-piston calipers would be garbage on a bike with a single two pot caliper.

I'm either going to do another drz master or at least something sized properly

Yeah, the R6 MC would be an extremely stiff on/off switch for the front brake. You can pick up a dirt bike MC for $80 on E-bay. Dirt bikes tend to get parted out a lot faster than dual sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I would go with the distanzia only if you want to be able to ride on soft surfaces, the tread doesn't make much difference on a hardpacked dirt road. The Contiforce SM tire if you want something with good wet weather performance and life, the ContiAttack SM if you want an all out grippy summer tire.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Xovaan posted:

Do people really put 10w60 oil in their LC4's? It seems like a load of garbage to me that an engine would be sensitive to a very specific weight like that. Seems to me that the engines blow up for other reasons than oil. :geno:

I've only ever used 10W50 synthetic.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Nikasil cylinder liners aren't that uncommon. The Motorex recommendation is probably just a long term agreement between KTM and Motorex.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Legalized CRF150R.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Last I saw a Hyper was the 1100 generation and it had lower spec stuff than I was expecting for the price. The really unforgivable was lack of adjustments on the forks and shocks.=
You're thinking of the 796, the big one comes nicely equipped.

What do you mean by finicky? Did you have to push the button in just the right way to start it or something?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Safety Dance posted:

No, the engine seemed bitchy under 2500 RPM, it felt like I was right on top of the handlebars, and the bike fought me when I was trying to turn in, but that's probably just a Hypermotard != KRL650 thing.

e: It didn't help that the dealer told me to stay under 5K RPM because the engine had 26 miles on it.

At Ducati Seattle, you're a WA goon right? They told me that too... that didn't happen.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I took the 690 out for a sunny afternoon ride in Seattle yesterday... My name is Zool, and I'm addicted to wheelies.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone have any experience having a local dealer true spoked wheels? The rear rim on my DRZ is out of alignment with the hub, and you can see it wobbling on the bike. I honestly dont think its bent, just untrue. I tend to not trust local dealer mechanics, but dont really know where else to go? I have never trued a spoked wheel, and dont really feel like starting with the DRZ

Any shop the works on dirt bikes (or older bikes) ought to be able to true a spoked wheel.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I don't think so, I've checked lots of dealer websites and you'd be lucky to find the 450sumo on most of them.

What the hell US dealers? Sumos are awesome!

No one carries the SMR450, you have to go down to your dealer and beg them to order you one. Spiffness asked a dealer if they would be able to order one, they said they wouldn't want to bother with it. :( Not that you want one unless you're racing it, the bike isn't road legal and comes on slicks from the factory.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

invision posted:

I need help learning to back it in :(

45mph, pull in the clutch and get hard on the front brake, down shift twice, dump the clutch(feather it out if you don't have a slipper clutch). The rear end should break loose and waggle around a bit. Now do it again with a little lean angle and you'll be backing it in like a pro*

*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A little wheel hop never hurt never killed isn't that big a deal, as long as you're upright.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

I back into my parking spot every day, what of it? :smug:

Sometimes I do it in my car.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

nsaP posted:

Don't get me wrong, I can't do it. But he was just calling out people in the thread who talk it up but then seem to have a lot of excuses when someone calls em out.

I don't have a sumo, that's my excuse.

Was anyone talking up how awesome they are at backing it in?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Those exhausts are the best terrible idea KTM ever had.

They remind me of truck exhaust stacks. I think you should get a big naked trucker lady mudflap.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I was looking up video to illustrate it to ChewedFood, I found this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEG73UtODDc
Pretty rad shot.

And the classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6aOEJKo

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 26, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Quit joking around. I run shimano sprockets.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly, I know everyone says steel steel steel, but I had AL sprockets from http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/ on my Bandit, and they worked just fine, no accelerated wear or anything. The bandit has about 90hp and 200lbs on a DRZ, so if it worked there, I would think it would work on the DRZ.

I just have to plug PBI because they were great to deal with and will make you custom sprockets (i.e. in a different chain pitch, way outside the normal tooth count, offset, etc), and they were the only people who could get me the gearing I wanted on my RV90.

Plus they're made in the :911:

The Al sprocket that came on my 250sx-f was shot after 10 rides. That includes a couple enduro races, but still, not long.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Vinyl is such a pain in the rear end, and you can pick up full acerbis plastics for like $100 bux.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You may as well not learn to wheelie. You can have the only un-wheelied 690 in existence, it will be worth a fortune.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
He has a 690; just start with power wheelies. Open the throttle smoothly and quickly until you feel the front end come up in first, second, or third.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ought ten posted:

Back in 2002 DC built this track for the American Le Mans, but residents of the Kingman Park neighborhood across the street got mad about the noise and had it shut down.
People are the worst.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Orange Someone posted:

Is my engine meant to look like this?

A mere 75 miles from the end of our 350 mile roadtrip today, at the start of our 4 bike motorcycling holiday to sunny Scotland. First week off in over a year.

Brilliant.
JB weld it up, it'll be fine.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Loosen the axle nut then turn the adjuster bolt with a wrench to push the axle blocks back. Don't over tighten the chain, the distance between the axle and the front sprocket changes through the wheel travel, so you have to leave some slack.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

What, you don't want to be like every 690 owner on this board and either never ride your bike or pine over something you sold years ago? :v:

Hey! I resemble that statement!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Post Workout Peach posted:

while outside flipping signs

This is a gang thing right?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Or you can go get a tuneboy and have tons of fun

You definitely should not do that, Tune ECU is free and has the same functionality, you just have to buy the cable and a USB/obdii adapter.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

NO ONE EVER TAKES HUSABERG SERIOUSLY AND IT HURTS THEIR FEELINGS!

We were all going to buy 2015 Husabergs.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't get this forums relationship with the 690. It seems everyone who has owned one has been like: "this is the greatest bike ever, it's amazing!! Ps: I sold it already".

People seem to love them, but I don't think anyone has held on to one.

Perhaps that amazing resale is too tempting?

It's amazing! Ps: I sold mine yesterday.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

When I picked up my SMC at 4 PM on a Friday I didn't park it at my house until 10 AM the next morning after riding non-stop all night.

Nap + Oil change, and back on it until like 2 AM Sunday night. Sleep, work, repeat. I think I was approaching 2k miles on it by the following Friday.

When I picked up my ZX6R I put 1500 miles on it, totaled it, and had two surgeries in under two weeks. That's how it's done! Then I taught mootmoot how to ride over Skype.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Anybody have experience with the KTM 500 EXC? I might make that my next supermoto.

I've ridden one, it's awesome. Expect to rebuild the engine around 25k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

How is it vs. the 690? I like the fact that the 500 is lighter, but if there's no perceptible difference I might lean towards the other.

It is very noticeably more nimble and light feeling than a 690.

• Locked thread