Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

johntfs posted:

It's interesting that you guys used Daoloth as the antagonist in the adventure (as much as there was an antagonist)

As in all tabletop roleplaying, the heroes' greatest antagonist was the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

Dear god that last image.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Looks like Man-E-Faces got an allergic reaction, but only to the metal parts.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I hope I don't seem too stupid for asking such a newbie question, but I've been reading these since they started, over five years, but I have no idea if Steve is a real person, or if he is just a comedic foil for Zach.

Maybe I don't want to know, maybe I am better off with the mystery?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's a little Steve in all of us, child.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's a little Steve in all of us, child.

But only because he has Plate Mail of Etherealness, a Ring of Teleportation and a twisted desire to inject his blood into sleeping people.

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/deadlands-weird-west/

As a big Deadlands player back in the the day I was pretty happy to see this article! Are you guys going to do one about the Wasted West, the post-apocalyptic version of Deadlands, where even everything gets back to being western style, but with hover-cycles and stuff?

Also, while the [random setting]+zombies certainly marks Deadlands as a 90s rpg, the final nail in its coffin as such is that all the rulebooks use colloquial slang in the actual rules section. Be prepared to be called "partner" while being told how initiative works!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if you thought Deadlands was insane you guys have to go into the insane post apocalypse sub-game. Even just on art there's gold there, but if you wanna talk stupid rear end settings in general it's got so many insane chunks of fluff that involve things like an evil indian shaman summoning the four horsemen of the Apocalypse because his girlfriend got killed or something.

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
I gotta say also, I'm really surprised you didn't put in the picture from the main rulebook that has an undead Lincoln bursting forth from his grave, because that is is a VERY Deadlands image :D

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm shocked they didn't use the cover image for the Mexico source book (I think) with the big ol fat bandito with a huge mustache and a couple bandoleers in a sombrero and poncho standing in front of his own wanted poster. Not really very 'Deadlands' since he's not shooting a zombie or fighting a native american dinosaur spirit but it's a pretty hilarious picture.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea if you thought Deadlands was insane you guys have to go into the insane post apocalypse sub-game. Even just on art there's gold there, but if you wanna talk stupid rear end settings in general it's got so many insane chunks of fluff that involve things like an evil indian shaman summoning the four horsemen of the Apocalypse because his girlfriend got killed or something.

Hell on Earth got rough since it's pretty much when Deadlands hit the Family Guy level of constant references of things. "Alright, Denver is controlled by Skynet and if the player's want to travel to Los Vegas to fight the Master from Fallout they need to contact Raul Duke and our psychics will literally be based on a Blue Oyster Cult song." And that doesn't even begin to talk about how Pinnacle could teach White Wolf a thing or two about "on-rails" adventures.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm shocked they didn't use the cover image for the Mexico source book (I think) with the big ol fat bandito with a huge mustache and a couple bandoleers in a sombrero and poncho standing in front of his own wanted poster. Not really very 'Deadlands' since he's not shooting a zombie or fighting a native american dinosaur spirit but it's a pretty hilarious picture.

But it would be a travesty of justice to cover the Deadlands Mexico Source Book when they haven't covered the much more rich vein of the Rifts Mexico Source Book.

It has been the better part of a decade and they have only begin to unpack the RPG cheesiness.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hell on Earth got rough since it's pretty much when Deadlands hit the Family Guy level of constant references of things. "Alright, Denver is controlled by Skynet and if the player's want to travel to Los Vegas to fight the Master from Fallout they need to contact Raul Duke and our psychics will literally be based on a Blue Oyster Cult song." And that doesn't even begin to talk about how Pinnacle could teach White Wolf a thing or two about "on-rails" adventures.

Just devote an entire couple pages to Stone and how loving bullshit everything about him was.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just devote an entire couple pages to Stone and how loving bullshit everything about him was.

Oh god that, the only time I've ever seen "This character is super important, don't let your players kill him under any circumstances" show up in an rpg.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh god that, the only time I've ever seen "This character is super important, don't let your players kill him under any circumstances" show up in an rpg.

That's like asking to have him killed.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

With this character's death, the thread of prophesy is severed...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Suicide Sam E. posted:

That's like asking to have him killed.

They straight refused to stat him, "once something has stats it can be killed, Stone can do whatever you need him to do"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They straight refused to stat him, "once something has stats it can be killed, Stone can do whatever you need him to do"

What if I need him to die? :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you think we're joking, we're not, the book literally said 'we're not gonna stat him until the last book of our lovely metaplot to keep players from killing him' and explicitly told you to, if your players committed the mortal sin of wanting to have fun and kill a really tough guy, straight up sit them down and explain that they're not allowed to kill Stone.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Granted that Deadlands: Hell on Earth had some silly poo poo in it (don't even get me started on the bullshit with two unkillable Stones). Still, for my money, Urban Renewal was a master class on how to run a horror scenario. The bit with the dolls, especially, provided some excellent nightmare fuel.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God that made me remember the page in the last Hell on Earth adventure, Trinity. After Stone has served his purpose there's an inset panel about how he's totally kill able now and it's suggested to do so, so that the players can have a win while they're railroaded from one uninterruptible plot point to the next.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I cannot wait to see Steve's Rifts party.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I call BS. First edition gave stats for the gods. This was later retconned into "those stats were for the deities' avatars" or something like that.

If my players want to kill, all they have to do is roll well enough and live long enough to finish the job. I had a PC try to kill the mayor for his refusal to let the PC open a brothel. The attack didn't succeed, but I didn't pretend it was an impossibility.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you think we're joking, we're not, the book literally said 'we're not gonna stat him until the last book of our lovely metaplot to keep players from killing him' and explicitly told you to, if your players committed the mortal sin of wanting to have fun and kill a really tough guy, straight up sit them down and explain that they're not allowed to kill Stone.

The first time, day one, of being a dungeon master my players taught me that nothing shortens the life of an NPC like you showing it favoritism.

Later on my PCs learned that hiring people and leaving their corpses in a dungeon or sewer makes the rest of the townspeople mighty suspicious. Also, they learned not to punch torch boys in the crotch with a spiked gauntlet and ridiculous strength bonuses.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Attn Kevin Siembieda: Jaguars have spots. That's a tiger.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Senior Woodchuck posted:

But I want to see a hilariously useless party who can't survive all super-soaker types, and I don't think Steve's inner power-gamer will let him create one.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn it. I haven't opened RIFTS South America in probably ten years, and I still recognized the Ewaipanoma at a glance. I could have been using those brain cells for important things!

I hope one of them uses a Zembahk in their party. Or a Flooper.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Heavy_D posted:

But I want to see a hilariously useless party who can't survive all super-soaker types, and I don't think Steve's inner power-gamer will let him create one.

See, you forgot that power-gamers "game to win." If they think Strength/Dexterity is a winning combo, they'll max those traits. If Stupid/Useless is the winning trait, those will be maxed. The best defense against power-gaming (aside from "get the gently caress out of my game") is a game like TORG where every stat-skill is potentially important, for example:

Power-gamer: "WTF my character fell in the Anti-matter reactor and died?!"

Game-Master: "Well, you decided to leave your Charisma at 1, giving you a Taunt defense of 1. So, when the evil little girl villain with a lisp called you a "Thtupid Thtupidhead who'th really, really Thtupid" and generated a 19, she got a Player's Call, which means your character does what she says as long as it fits the scene. She decided that you would try to long-jump the 15 meter gap to kill her in your Thtupid rage at being called a Thtupidhead. You failed by 5 meters, fell into the reactor and poofified. Next time roll up something more balanced and don't be a Thtupidhead.

Yes, the above actually happened in a real TORG game.

quote:

Zack: You get to run a Rifts game in the future.

Steve: You think that's a joke prize, but I am pumped. Get your Glitter Boys and Glitter Girls on the dance floor.

You guys should make it more "interesting" and have Steve run the RIFTS game for a party composed of the contest "winners." So, Zack's party should be made up of Charles the Waste Monkey, Ansel the Worldly Sasquatch and Vanessa the Candle Mage with the Strong Chin.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
these are funny but christ, i've read like 4 and i am already sick to death of clicking through a dozen pages with like 200 words on them.

i know some websites do this annoying poo poo bc of advertising, but wtf is going on here? can a nigga get a display as a single page option?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Drink Cheerwine posted:

these are funny but christ, i've read like 4 and i am already sick to death of clicking through a dozen pages with like 200 words on them.

i know some websites do this annoying poo poo bc of advertising, but wtf is going on here? can a nigga get a display as a single page option?

Try posting that here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=188

That's the comments and suggestions forum, I'm sure they'll take your request very seriously.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I don't know if he can top Blurg with his climb skill of 4 and piloting of 1, but I'm really hoping he does.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
While this was a funny article, I don't think it quite managed to scratch the uselessness of Rifts OCCs/RCCs.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

While this was a funny article, I don't think it quite managed to scratch the uselessness of Rifts OCCs/RCCs.

I was expecting the article to be them creating the most useless and ridiculous Rifts player characters, not finding published ones. Which had me worried about how they were going to get illustrations, because they wouldn't have several pages of gameplay with which to paint a mental picture of their characters like they usually do.

This means that they could still possibly do that in a future article, which would be a great opportunity to make an art thread to solicit portraits of their ridiculous characters. If that clicks then it could be spun off into a series, the standard "running an absolute wreck of a party through some bizarre adventure module" we all know and love.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

RevSyd posted:

I was expecting the article to be them creating the most useless and ridiculous Rifts player characters, not finding published ones. Which had me worried about how they were going to get illustrations, because they wouldn't have several pages of gameplay with which to paint a mental picture of their characters like they usually do.

This means that they could still possibly do that in a future article, which would be a great opportunity to make an art thread to solicit portraits of their ridiculous characters. If that clicks then it could be spun off into a series, the standard "running an absolute wreck of a party through some bizarre adventure module" we all know and love.

I really want them to do a Gamma World module. Or anything, really. Zack would lose his drat mind.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Heavy Metal is basically Playboy for nerds. Which now that I think about it is also Playboy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I only read it for the co--oh my god, you're right.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/heavy-metal-first/6/

The daughter of the guy who did the bottom one is a friend of my wife, after the artist died she gave my daughter a lot of his old art supplies. Don Ivan Punchatz also did the cover of the original Doom cover, and his son Gregor sculpted all the models that were photographed and digitized into the game. I never knew he did a Heavy Metal cover, but I saw that cover at an art show after his memorial service.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm certain that number 9 was the cover of an old Psygnosis game, but I can't remember what the title would have been.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Dear WTF D&D,

Where are you? I miss you. Please come back soon.

Love,

Molothecat

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Molothecat posted:

Dear WTF D&D,

Where are you? I miss you. Please come back soon.

Love,

Molothecat

Gotta agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
WTF, D&D? Where you at?

• Locked thread