Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordyce
Nov 21, 2005

Please, call me Djo
Where your foot ends up is where the ball ends up.

Quoting PE teachers who were probably paedos is so lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

fordyce posted:

Where your foot ends up is where the ball ends up.

Quoting PE teachers who were probably paedos is so lame.

God, I'm so sick of retrieving my feet from row z of the stands :(

But yeah practice like a motherfucker. Having as many balls as you can get your hands on helps. After a shot think about the positioning of your feet, how you moved you leg, the follow through etc. Then try to recreate that and be consistent between shots.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
The best way to improve your control of a ball is to have one loose in the house at all times, so that when you're walking down the hallway or whatever you can just do some kind of close control with it without thinking. It really does improve your first touch considerably, I find. Even better if it's a mini one.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
Watch more football.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Platypus posted:

I play in a park league as striker, and discovered today that I am utterly poo poo at aiming my shots. Mostly because I don't know how to do much beyond booting it at the goal. So, what I ask of all of you, is how the gently caress do you aim a shot?

Composure is an important part of it, most shots are done under some kind of pressure so the ability to calmly think through placement etc is vital. Look at someone like Berbatov, concentrate on thinking while you've got the ball at your feet.

Somebody else mentioned it but kicking a tennis ball round your house is great for close control and ball skill, if you can do it on a small ball it becomes infinitely easier on a bigger one.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I went to several stores today looking for a new pair of boots, but sometime between when I last bought them and now, their selection has greatly shrank. What are some online dealers who deliver to the US and have a decent variety of sizes, since I wear somewhere between a 12 and 13, depending on the brand?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Dr. Platypus posted:

I went to several stores today looking for a new pair of boots, but sometime between when I last bought them and now, their selection has greatly shrank. What are some online dealers who deliver to the US and have a decent variety of sizes, since I wear somewhere between a 12 and 13, depending on the brand?

https://www.soccer.com I have bought many an item from them, from shoes to replicas to jerseys for teams, balls, etc. Good customer service and quick shipping. Just make sure you know your size, because once you play in them, they are yours. I have a buddy that buys all his shoes off ebay.

Suqit fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 25, 2009

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I started playing when I was 6 or 7 in youth rec leagues, and when I was 14 moved up to 'select', which was just the name for the state level in Mississippi. There I played right wing pretty much exclusively. We were good, but we finished 2nd in nearly every tournament because we knew how to choke. I quit playing competitively when I was 17 because my coach quit and moved to Washington D.C. and the new coach sucked. I then got a job at a fast food restaurant and got fat.

I joined the navy when I was 21 and lost the weight, and now I'm 25 and stationed on an army base that has 3 leagues. I play in the Tuesday co-ed league. My touch is poo poo, I'm in shape enough to be active the whole time but my speed is down, and I have developed a weird habit to not want to knock people around. Now I play defensive center-mid because it gives me an excuse to hang back a bit and catch my breath.

I joined the worst team (of 6) and we beat the number 2 team this week. Pretty :smug: moment. Next season starts in august and we're gonna be pretty decent with a few additions coming to the team.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
So if we were to have a RayIce Cream Parlour starting XI what would it look like?

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.

Oh Em Gee posted:

So if we were to have a RayIce Cream Parlour starting XI what would it look like?

I'd be on the left wing. The left back better be loving good though, because I can't defend.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Grievo posted:

I'd be on the left wing. The left back better be loving good though, because I can't defend.

Well I am the holding mid...soo..hmm. would we play a 442?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I'm the left back motherbitches

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
I'd be right back, one of you fat fuckers can be goalie

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I was on my all-league team as a keeper in high school

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
So far.

-------???????---------????????----------

Grievo--------??????-------Oh Em Gee------???????

Chuggo---------???????-------????????-------duggimon

-------------------????????-------------

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Oh Em Gee posted:

So far.

-------???????---------????????----------

Grievo--------??????-------Oh Em Gee------???????

Chuggo---------???????-------????????-------duggimon

-------------------????????-------------

I'll play center back. Too short but I have a vertical of at least 5.5" these days!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I play as a wingback on either side but I'll slide into the right midfield spot. I'm all pace baby. I can pass but don't expect me to score goals.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours

Chuggo posted:

I'm the left back motherbitches

left back...

in the changing room!!!!!!!!!

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I'll go in goal, I am the next Shay Given after all.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Russ posted:

left back...

best football joke ever, should be used more often

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
If I was bothered to get the loving boat over from Dublin I would play on whatever wing I wouldn't be facing into the sun on.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Russ posted:

left back...

:argh:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I'll be in London for a few days in November, any games we'll be playing near that time in southern UK, I'll take central mid for. I'm like Fellaini except with less hair and skill.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Left forward with an injured left knee

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I push up as much as possible in my rec league. If I were in the UK with you fellas I would play as a striker :shobon:

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Centre back, once my knee heals up properly.

Was playing earlier tonight after managing to get a day off for once, and we won 2-1 against an established Junior side. My right back took their striker down in the box needlessly and gave away a penalty in the 80th minute or we'd have won by two clear goals.

I'm now trying to get as much liquids on board as possible since I'm horribly sunburned and feel terribly dehydrated. Irn Bru isn't working, so onto pints of iced water.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Pints of iced irn bru!

I'll have to join a team again and get fit

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
-------Ka0---------Directorman----------

Grievo--------The Mash-------Oh Em Gee------Shrapnac

Chuggo---------Stuface-------Suqit-------duggimon

-------------------Rhg0061r-------------

SUBS: Craiglen, Russ, Raptor Jesus

MANAGER: Pissflaps/The Finn partnership

Cheerleaders: Hoover Dam and Taters

Looks like a pretty solid lineup. Except of course, we are all really poo poo at football and I don't even think that lineup would win a game against Brandy's cousins.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The thought of pissflaps yelling at the border throwing a fit is surprisingly funny

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if we could get Trin to referee the hypothetical matches.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Shrapnac posted:

I wonder if we could get Trin to referee the hypothetical matches.

Or we create a FM database with a Ray Parlour team in the Blue Square league that has us all in the squad in a similar idea to the current FM thing.

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
I'm definitely a massive impact sub.

I'm not even kidding.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Craiglen posted:

I'm definitely a massive impact sub.

I'm not even kidding.

Kind of like a Dani Alves, perhaps?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
playing in a six a side tournament next week, well excited

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Stuface posted:

Or we create a FM database with a Ray Parlour team in the Blue Square league that has us all in the squad in a similar idea to the current FM thing.

I'm actually so bored I might do this.

r-lam
Jul 12, 2005

JAROME, EETZ ME!

Chuggo posted:

playing in a six a side tournament next week, well excited

same here. probably not the same one.

i am excited to try out my new nike boots

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006

Suqit posted:

Kind of like a Dani Alves, perhaps?

Definitely!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'll play centre mid and get a card every game. Resident hardman itt. :clint:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

I'll play centre mid and get a card every game. Resident hardman itt. :clint:

This is one of those post + avatar = :lol: things that everyone talks about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

This is one of those post + avatar = :lol: things that everyone talks about.

Thats because I'm Alan Smith

get it Alan Smith gets carded a lot