Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. I have a nice long sloping garden so I can even wear my boots! Think I should do this every day or every other?

definitely give yourself a rest especially at the beginning. At least a day if not two, and you'll need it if you're doing it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

biggie pusheenbia posted:

definitely give yourself a rest especially at the beginning. At least a day if not two, and you'll need it if you're doing it properly.

Especially if you're using any sort of grade, also you'll be sore in different spots from the sprinting, you're utilizing your muscles differently. I like to mix in something low impact like riding a stationary bike or swimming(if I have the option) if my legs don't feel up to a day of sprinting, and it's good for recovery days.

Failing all the other stuff that was posted just go play as much football as you can because there's really no substitute for "match fitness."

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Shrapnac posted:

The generally accepted types of running for football fitness these days aren't long runs anymore. I read somewhere that the furthest Manchester United players run in preseason training at a stretch is 6-800m. They focus on high intensity interval training these days. Sprinting a short distance, then a small recovery window, and doing it again. It better simulates running during a match.

Suicides are probably the most rudimentary way of doing this, they're what I generally do.

Sprint to the top of the 18 yard box, jog back
Sprint to midfield, jog back to the top of the box(shortening recovery time)
Sprint to midfield, jog back to endline
Sprint to midfield, jog back to the top of the box(shortening recovery time)
Sprint to other 18, jog back to midfield
Sprint to far endline, jog back to top of 18 yard box
Sprint to endline, jog back to midfield

Etc, etc, constantly changing both the length of the sprint and the length of recovery time.

You want to focus on short bursts of pace over and over as well as incorporating changing direction because that actually takes a lot more out of your legs than you'd think.

I'm not saying your fitness will suffer from doing long runs and mixing in a few sprints but it's not ideal for playing football. You're looking for explosive runs over the course of the match, not jogging for 90 minutes, and being able to jog as a recovery period in between those runs.

This is quite interesting.

In the summer, I usually just take a few jumpers and a loudspeaker and do a bleep test at the park. I don't know how that compares to Shrapnac's method but it works pretty well for me. Just download a bleep test, whack it on an MP3 and you're good to go.

EDIT:
Also, mixing it all up makes a big difference. I've been doing quite a lot of squats/lunges lately and I've been having pretty quick recovery after games as a result, but I went swimming last week for the first time in a few months and my legs were killing me for a few days from doing breaststroke.

Switch it up basically.

Insanely Sikh fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 9, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

This is quite interesting.

In the summer, I usually just take a few jumpers and a loudspeaker and do a bleep test at the park. I don't know how that compares to Shrapnac's method but it works pretty well for me. Just download a bleep test, whack it on an MP3 and you're good to go.

Similar really, I just like to vary the length of the sprints. The beep test ramps up the intensity throughout while I use the recovery time in between sprints to vary the intensity.

I'd imagine you'd get the same type of workout from either.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

Similar really, I just like to vary the length of the sprints. The beep test ramps up the intensity throughout while I use the recovery time in between sprints to vary the intensity.

I'd imagine you'd get the same type of workout from either.

I like it because it's a good mix of cardio and sprint work and I think it's pretty reflective of what it's like running during a game. I just find long-distance running really boring though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I like the idea of the beep test as it shows your progress but doesn't it just get faster and faster? Or are there breaks included? It's been a while

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well it's went from a winter where we were limited to the 5 a side pitch and always in excess of players to a dreich spring where we are back outside on the 6's pitch but with widespread casulalties. I'm not sure we've had a full 12 man game for near a month. The game is on tonight, but theres only 10 people for the larger pitch. It's managable, and gives you a chance to get air in the lungs but it's never as good a game as with full teams as there just ends up being too much space.

Rock at the back tonight methinks.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
pm me and I'll bring a friend

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I like the idea of the beep test as it shows your progress but doesn't it just get faster and faster? Or are there breaks included? It's been a while

It does get faster but if you want breaks, start it from a higher level and stop after you reach a certain number yourself maybe?

Perhaps something like cut the audio file from Level 5-10 and leave a 30 second rest then repeat etc, shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I need to download an alarm that sounds at random sort of like Buckin Bronco. But I'll try the beep test first and see what level I am currently

e. what level are you HT? Be honest

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 9, 2012

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

What I do for fitness is grab some cones, space five of them about 1-2m apart, and a seperate two 20m apart.

Grab a ball and dribble figure 8s through the cones (out and back) as fast as you're comfortable with (focus on keeping the ball under control), then sprint the 20m (leave the ball behind). Either sprint or jog back (generally I start off sprinting, by the end of the session I'm jogging), then rest for a minute.

Repeat that until you're bored or your legs give way.

As said, though, the best way to get footy fit is to play footy.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I think another thing that should be mentioned is if you're just starting the interval protocols you really shouldn't be doing them any more than twice a week or so. If you do them right they are really taxing and will take a good couple days to really recover from them. I always thought they worked best if mixed with another type or non/low impact cardio like cycling, elliptical, or swimming on the off days.

Overdoing the hiit stuff is a pretty sure way to wear yourself out and risk muscular injury, I normall do it twice a week at most (plus actual games). Full disclosure though, I'm super injury prone so maybe you guys would be able to do more than me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Lost 4-1 but sometime early in the second half the refs realized the other team had an extra man. Not sure if anything will come of that. Oh well.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Had a 3-3 draw in the indoor game. We were playing a team that is technically one of the best in our division. Happy with the results considering most of the team has not played with one another before.

Main problem keeping us from winning identified: Everybody wants to play up top leaving almost nobody on defense during a counter. I'm guilty of that myself even though I was typically one of only players who'd stay back.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

pik_d posted:

Lost 4-1 but sometime early in the second half the refs realized the other team had an extra man. Not sure if anything will come of that. Oh well.
How did nobody notice till the 2nd half? The ref's supposed to count the players before the match kicks off.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

irlZaphod posted:

How did nobody notice till the 2nd half? The ref's supposed to count the players before the match kicks off.

These refs also make offside calls before the attacking player touches the ball. :) The ref tonight also literally said these words: "If I see you diving again I'm going to give you a yellow card".

pik_d fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 10, 2012

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Sounds eminently reasonable

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Work 5-a-side is starting up at the end of the month. Anyone have any ideas for an ugly/interesting shirt to distract the opposition with?

I'd get this if it wasn't so drat expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kashima-Antlers-11-match-worn-00s-/390408055382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ae6222a56

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I need to download an alarm that sounds at random sort of like Buckin Bronco. But I'll try the beep test first and see what level I am currently

e. what level are you HT? Be honest

I think last summer I was getting up to level 15 or 16? It's like 165 lengths, takes about 15 minutes.

EDIT: Apparently that's a really high score, maybe I didn't measure the distance accurately.

Insanely Sikh fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

These refs also make offside calls before the attacking player touches the ball. :) The ref tonight also literally said these words: "If I see you diving again I'm going to give you a yellow card".

Both of these things are 100% correct.

Offside is the intent to play the ball while in an offside position, not touching it(:wtf:).

And what you got was a telling off, which is the referee actually doing you a favor. Also, stop diving Mr. Gym Class Hero.

Not counting up the players though, that's a bit silly.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Shrapnac posted:

Both of these things are 100% correct.

Offside is the intent to play the ball while in an offside position, not touching it(:wtf:).

And what you got was a telling off, which is the referee actually doing you a favor. Also, stop diving Mr. Gym Class Hero.

Not counting up the players though, that's a bit silly.

Offside is not intent, it is interfering with play (usually by touching the ball), I'm not sure where you got that idea. It was the other team who was flagged (and had the whistle blow) before the attacker got to the ball a few times. I feel pretty confident that play should stop when the attacker gets to the ball and does something with it, or to a defender trying to recover it, not when they start running for it (which is clear intention to play it).

It was also the other team who dived. I heard the remark because I was the defender that the guy was trying to get a penalty off of. I never said I was the diver so I'm not sure why you assumed as much. Diving is specifically categorized as unsporting behavior, which specifically calls for a yellow card. If the ref is so confident that the guy dived, why should he be doing him any favors?

In the end, the ref made the game 11v11 for whatever reason. We literally switched from 10v10 to 11v11 a few minutes after the second half started.

I'm not really complaining, I was just answering irlZaphod's question "how did they not notice". The answer is because they're not very good. So far over the season it seems to actually have balanced it out with for/against calls for us, so it's not as big a deal as if we were Sunderland or Wigan or Liverpool where everything goes against us.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 10, 2012

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What, offside is often flagged for and called before a player touches the ball.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Touching the ball has nothing to do with offside, I don't understand what he's trying to say.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Welp,

Left my old league because people would injure each other during games and go nuts all game long. Joined an over-30 and lo and behold, my new team got in a fistfight during our first SCRIMMAGE (not game) of the season and it got called off after 30 minutes.

Sigh, is it like this everywhere or is the NY/NJ area just a breeding ground for testosterone-fueled jerkoffs?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

mang posted:

Welp,

Left my old league because people would injure each other during games and go nuts all game long. Joined an over-30 and lo and behold, my new team got in a fistfight during our first SCRIMMAGE (not game) of the season and it got called off after 30 minutes.

Sigh, is it like this everywhere or is the NY/NJ area just a breeding ground for testosterone-fueled jerkoffs?

Haha, hate that sort of thing, gets so silly.

derin
Apr 19, 2003
Turkish Superstar
Anybody have a calf-strain rehab program I can use? I strained my left calf a year or so ago and the right one a month or so ago. Both were bad enough that I had to use crutches for a few days afterwards but not bad enough to have any bruising or swelling. I still have tightness and aches in both calves (gastrocnemius mostly). Both of them were strained during short, quick movements so I don't know what I can do to rehabilitate. I'm afraid to do any explosive movements and suffering the same injury again, and without doing them I don't see how something like calf raises would help. That said, I still don't have the strength to do single legged calf raises, so maybe that would be a first step. I can do a one-legged calf raise from flat on the floor to about 15% up, and I can hold it at the top, but the part in between is quite painful.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

mang posted:

Welp,

Try to find some local pickup groups? People are usually far more chill, although it's a bit too casual for some.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Chas McGill posted:

Work 5-a-side is starting up at the end of the month. Anyone have any ideas for an ugly/interesting shirt to distract the opposition with?

I'd get this if it wasn't so drat expensive:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kashima-Antlers-11-match-worn-00s-/390408055382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ae6222a56

Get the Zanzibar shirt. http://www.uksoccershop.com/products/9942.html
There's definately cheaper ones floating around somewhere too.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

NinjaSteve posted:

Get the Zanzibar shirt. http://www.uksoccershop.com/products/9942.html
There's definately cheaper ones floating around somewhere too.

Think I just found my new keeper shirt.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ninpo posted:

Shrapnac posted:

Touching the ball has nothing to do with offside, I don't understand what he's trying to say.

Being in an offside position in itself isn't an offense that should be whistled for, I don't understand what you're trying to say. The law of the game literally says that the attacking player has to be involved in active play. Running toward the ball isn't active play because there is the possibility that they could realize that they're offside and stop, then let another player who wasn't in an offside position get the ball.

What I am saying is that the flag/whistle has gone immediately when a person was caught in an offside position and the ball was sent over the top and that person who was offside becomes the closest person to the ball. That's not an offense.

Also you seem to be ignoring the word "usually", which I used in my last reply to you.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

mang posted:

Welp,

I tried to find a nice coed league around here in Long Island, and besides the only coed i can find being at colleges, one dudes league I found online was pretty intimidating. Reading through the league lifetime bans had dudes straight up beating down refs, brandishing guns, etc.

I'm 27, but maybe they'll let me in the 30+ league cuz I'm so out of practice.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 11, 2012

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
If you guys haven't seen this film, I recommend it: Soccer Days (Días de fútbol) - 2003, Spain.

quote:

Jorge's life is sad and depressing. He finds his work boring, his girlfriend has just left him and his friends are all losers. Antonio, his best friend, is just out of jail after various petty crimes and has decided to become a psychologist. Jorge's other friends aren't doing much better, so he and Antonio try to find a way to change their miserable lives. The solution is to resurrect a soccer team they had in their youth.

:gonk:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

pik_d posted:

Being in an offside position in itself isn't an offense that should be whistled for, I don't understand what you're trying to say. The law of the game literally says that the attacking player has to be involved in active play. Running toward the ball isn't active play because there is the possibility that they could realize that they're offside and stop, then let another player who wasn't in an offside position get the ball.

What I am saying is that the flag/whistle has gone immediately when a person was caught in an offside position and the ball was sent over the top and that person who was offside becomes the closest person to the ball. That's not an offense.

Also you seem to be ignoring the word "usually", which I used in my last reply to you.
Running towards the ball will cause other defenders to chase back dragging them out of their current position and having a direct impact on the progression of that move. Hence they are involved in direct play and so they are offside. This is why most players who aren't going to chase the ball put their hands in the air as well so that everyone knows they plan on leaving it. You don't have to touch the ball to directly affect the game.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
If any Manchester-based goons/lurkers are after a competitive weekly friendly fixture a five a side game I organise every Tuesday is after new players. PM me if interested.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

britishbornandbread posted:

If any Manchester-based goons/lurkers are after a competitive weekly friendly fixture a five a side game I organise every Tuesday is after new players. PM me if interested.

Hmmm, I might be interested in this. Where do you play, at what time?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Taff posted:

Hmmm, I might be interested in this. Where do you play, at what time?

It's on a Tuesday night, 6pm to 7pm and is at Moss Side Leisure Development Centre (corner of Denmark Road and Lloyd Street North).

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

britishbornandbread posted:

It's on a Tuesday night, 6pm to 7pm and is at Moss Side Leisure Development Centre (corner of Denmark Road and Lloyd Street North).

I'd struggle to get there for 6pm, only finish work at 5:30 at just down the road from Old Trafford sorry

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Looks like I'll be playing as a right back in an outdoor league in the Fall. What skills should I focus on for solo practice? For indoor I mostly work on Passing (wall work), Dribbling, and Juggling. I work on shooting a bit too, but not nearly as much.

Is there anything in particular I can focus on that will help me be a better defender? I can't think of any way to practice marking or tackling that doesn't involve a partner...

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Get one of those balls attached to a base by elastic and kick it as hard as you can then try to hoof it out into touch on its return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Not really stuff you can practice, but it helps if you read the game well and have good positioning. If have neither of those things, you're probably hosed. Also you really need to be on the same page as the rest of the back line.