Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MDR
Feb 16, 2004
KING NORTH PARK
Played my first season with my other indoor team, mostly as a right defender, but slowly guys stopped showing up and I got to naturally move to mid than forward, not much action, although I did have some good shots on goal( i'm a chubby dude so forward isn't my cup of tea as I don't have a massive burst of speed, but naturally still want to put one in the back of the net). Anyways I switched teams to a facility closer to me and played my first game on this team defending. Well just got done with my second game with them, and I played mid most of the time but I finally got my goal! Popped a strong strike from about 10 feet out of the box to have the keeper block it with both hands, it bounces right out perfectly infront of my foot, the spirit of jesus enters my body and I cock a perfect low shot into the back of the net. Wooooooooo even scoring in a booboo rear end beginner indoor league feels great. I spread my arms out AND taunted the other team with the earcup taunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Had a couple of typical game for my coed team these last two weeks, sucking in the first half and dominating in the second. Last week's opponents could only field seven players (the bare minimum to avoid a forfeit) and they managed to go up one thanks to our goalie misreading a near breakaway. Second half starts, our two forwards work the ball straight up the middle, and three passes and about 20 seconds later, we equalize. We ended up with four total to their one, including an incredible strike from a midfielder from about 20 yards out that blasted right into the top right corner of the net. I was directly behind that, too, it was one of the best goals I've ever witnessed first-hand.

True to form, this Sunday we go down three in the first half against a team that basically had no attack. Seriously. I was playing sweeper/left fullback (switching out with our recently recovered sweeper) and when we were on the attack, which was most of the game, there were no forwards to mark, they just weren't pushing up at all. Which makes it even more embarrassing to allow three goals, although I suppose we could blame the weather a little bit, it was muddy and raining and our goalie did get a hand on every single one of the goals, they just slipped through. Fifteen minutes into the second half we equalize, and kept the pressure on the rest of the game but just couldn't put another one in.

This last ref absolutely sucked, though, and even the opposition agreed that he had been favoring them and making ridiculous calls all around. At one point he called a handball in the penalty box, but instead of awarding a penalty kick, he calls for an indirect kick about two feet outside the six-yard box. We scored, despite their entire team forming a wall on the goal line, but that call was just idiotic.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

beat the top team 5-4 after scoring a goal with 7 seconds left.

i've been smug-facing all morning.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
top scorer in the tournament with 28 goals in 5 appearances (indoor) :smug:

not so well in regular football with 2 in 6 games heh

quote:

beat the top team 5-4 after scoring a goal with 7 seconds left.

that happened to me 3 weeks ago except it was the 2-1 and not with the top team (but a team which had destroyed us both at home and away last season). after watching the ball slowly pass the line i could only yell "motherfucking bitch of a whooooore!!" at the top of my lungs before 7-8 people from the field and the bench jumped all over me to cheer.
a huge rear end smile stayed on my face all day; greatest feeling EVER :)

Janis Sprukts
Sep 22, 2003

Do the Gundam on Acropolis.
Uma Uma dance the Cosmopolis.
Kage Bunshin the Populace.
Starting indoor up again this weekend after a year off. Have stupidly agreed to play on both a coed and men's league team. Have also agreed to play on the field for the men's team despite not having played out since junior year of high school which was 7 years ago. I'm going to be loving awful

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Played in goal a bit this weekend as our regular keeper is out of the country. Thankfully we dominated and I only had to scoop up all of three loose balls in the first half. For the second half, one of our midfielders who was sitting out this game just to be safe his pulled thigh muscle would be healed for next week, decided he was fit enough to stand in goal, and since we were ahead 4-0 and the other team had no attack to speak of, no one really thought anything about it, and I was happy to get back to the outfield and run around some.

And of COURSE we give up a goal at that point - some fat dude lobs a desperation ball over the defense and while it should have been an easy but still overhead catch for the stand-in keeper, he tries to jump to get it and immediately pulls his thigh again. He gets about an inch off the ground as a result and misses the ball, which goes in the net. We still ended up winning 7-1, but now he's out for at least another week.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played my first competitive 5-a-side game in years yesterday. The day before the match we had 10 people due to turn up, and I wasn't actually one of them, plus a couple more were turned away. At the kick off we had four players and I was only there by coincidence.

Strangely enough our opponents agreed to lend us one of their subs for the game, who turned out to be really good and we were 6-2 up at half time. Then they swapped him for a different player, we all got tired and I had to do a stint in goal with a pulled shoulder. We lost 13-11. :(

To top it off I discovered that my lungs don't like the filling they use in that kind of astroturf either since by the end of the match I could hardly breathe.

Still going to play next week though!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
See I never get these double digit scores in my small sided games

Probably because all of us good kids (comparatively) play defense so we play a lot of long, hot 1-1 draws

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

theblindparrot posted:

See I never get these double digit scores in my small sided games

Probably because all of us good kids (comparatively) play defense so we play a lot of long, hot 1-1 draws

Our league usually gets 6 or 7 goals a game since it's 30 mins on fairly big pitches, it's just a question of on which side of the scoresheet they go. Attacks break down and the players don't track back. I'm nominally the sweeper in our team so it's a bugbear of mine. It's 5 a side so at most you'll get two guys in a team who are happy to defend, it's fun to run at them from the back since they have no idea what to do.

Been playing the last couple of weeks in my Ireland shirt, got 4 or 5 goals so far in the league. It's taken a couple of games to shake off the rust of the summer, I don't kick a ball even in anger outside of the league so I can get very rusty indeed.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The last game was 6-5, I don't think either side for this one had a proper goalkeeper and like I said, I've pulled my shoulder so I was hardly reliable. It's also a full hour's match and the goals are larger than I've seen in 5-a-side before so it's not that surprising really.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My cruddy team is 4-1-0 from five games this season, with our striker on 11 from 5 games. We just magically sort of got good in the last few months, it's weird. The first game we won this season was 3-2 against my brother's team with the winner coming with four seconds on the clock :smug:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I scored today. We scored 7 overall. We conceded...

...28. What a mess. The other team were all fit as hell and just ran rings around for us for 60 minutes, on top of that their keeper was incredible so they just played everyone up front and let the keeper do the work. It was end to end stuff but unfortunately there were a lot more goals at ours. :(

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck
They're stopped putting the lights on at the local park pitches. Good job though as my knees have gone to poo poo and there's only some many painkillers I can take.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
No one's playing the winter season?

I'm on two indoor leagues at the moment, Men's A and Coed B, where I play keeper both times. I'd like to get out on the field at least once, but apparently there's a shortage of decent goalkeepers everywhere.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

the posted:

I'm on two indoor leagues at the moment, Men's A and Coed B, where I play keeper both times. I'd like to get out on the field at least once, but apparently there's a shortage of decent goalkeepers everywhere.
Yeah but I usually post :emo: stuff about it in the PWM because it's a GAY TEAM filled with GAY DRAMA.

e: playing in a 5 a side league with some lads from work this evening, help them out occasionally as long as the matches don't clash with my other league and I'm not doing anything else.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Getting involved with a winter league me, ya

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
On that note, I need some new gloves. Anyone have any recommendations? Mine keep DETERIORATING on the palm side. Pref. under like $60.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

the posted:

On that note, I need some new gloves. Anyone have any recommendations? Mine keep DETERIORATING on the palm side. Pref. under like $60.

Under $60 is gonna be difficult. For indoor I like the Reusch R1 Supersolids. They only have an ok grip, but the durability is outstanding. They're $90 though.

On a side note I was playing keeper in a 7v7 tournament in the rain over the weekend. I scored our 2nd goal in a 3-3 draw where we came from 3 goals down in the last 5 minutes to tie the match. That's the first goal I've scored as a keeper. Felt better than any goal I've scored as a field player.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I guess I need to reevaluate the pricing then. Do quality gloves really cost that much? I've gone through two pairs in two seasons. They just deteriorate so fast.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

the posted:

I guess I need to reevaluate the pricing then. Do quality gloves really cost that much? I've gone through two pairs in two seasons. They just deteriorate so fast.

The gloves I mentioned lasted me about 50 matches, 4 indoor seasons, and 1 outdoor season on a hard lovely pitch. Quality gloves run in the $100 range. The gloves with the nice soft grip may give you great handling but don't hold up really well on turf fields. Keeping your gloves clean will also help them last.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Jerm324 posted:

Keeping your gloves clean will also help them last.

Eh? I guess leaving them in my gym bag between matches is bad.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

The poor man pays twice. Having 2 identical pairs to rotate through would help a tiny bit if you play fairly regularly.

And yes take them out of your bag after use.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

I'm on summer break for three weeks. Missed out on the finals by a single point in the last game week.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
PLayed 5's tonight, scored a goal and bossed our backline. Nae oval office got past me like ken.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Have a tournament the week after Christmas and another in the second week in January. Haven't played in almost two months because of a bone bruise on my knee so my fitness should be interesting.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

Irn--Bru posted:

PLayed 5's tonight, scored a goal and bossed our backline. Nae oval office got past me like ken.

Like I've mentioned I'm always the one who has to stay back. Bit of a titus bramble though, I'm guaranteed to have at least one terrible mistake a match. Started getting some real metal slide tackles in recently, highlight being a 30 yard sprint back to slide the ball off a striker's toe as he shot. :cool:

My 5 a side has finished for Christmas and it's annoying but I'm not sure I can play with my team again. I'm the one who organises it and signs everyone up but last season I had to round them up every week, as if we haven't been playing for the past two years, and half the time we'd end up having to field random mates of mates. If they have to work etc that's fair enough but they never let me know ahead of time. This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that my usual team mates can't take losing at all. It was becoming a real pain in the arse to play with them, especially when I'm the defender because they don't like to track back and then sulk when we lose 3 - 0 after they all miss their chances. It was ironically better with the team full of strangers. I'll probably grit my teeth and register the team again in january because I don't have any other way of playing football.

irlZaphod posted:

a GAY TEAM filled with GAY DRAMA.

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 17, 2009

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
My indoor team is tearing the league apart with 11 wins 1 draw and only 1 loss, we're currently in first position with a two points advantage on the second placed team (though we've played 1 game more). I'm top scorer with about 60 goals in 13 games. This season's giving me some satisfaction.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I play indoor (normal field, just inside on turf) in 2 different leagues. My main team, has won 2 games in the past year, 2 ties and lost pretty much everything else. My other team with some people from work win our occasional game, but we also like to hang out at the bottom of the table.

The one place we play at does not have separate leagues. Our team has been playing once a week for a year, the other teams have been playing for way longer than that. Most of the people have never played before. Makes for some interesting games. We get happy when we score a goal. Lately we have been either leading or tied at the half, but completely fall apart in the end. Not sure why.

Next session they said they will have more teams and are going to split it up and put the sucky teams in a lower division. That should be nice.

I play forward, cant really do too well on D. Its a 7v7 game, we usually play either 3 or 4 in the back, depending on the game.

The whole goal is to have fun? And get my fat rear end out of the house and do some running? I think so...

Fighting Mongoose all the way!

Edit : I hate winter in Buffalo. Its day by 4:30, snow and cold and lovely out...can't just grab a ball and head to the park.

outcast_p fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 18, 2009

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Has anyone had any luck with the Nike CTR 360s? I'm split between those and the Mercurial Vapors.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Has anyone had any luck with the Nike CTR 360s? I'm split between those and the Mercurial Vapors.

What irks me is the difference in stud patterns. But it depends what position you play really and what type of playing style best suits you.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

outcast_p posted:

I play indoor (normal field, just inside on turf) in 2 different leagues. My main team, has won 2 games in the past year, 2 ties and lost pretty much everything else. My other team with some people from work win our occasional game, but we also like to hang out at the bottom of the table.

I play forward, cant really do too well on D. Its a 7v7 game, we usually play either 3 or 4 in the back, depending on the game.

Wow, that must be a HUGE indoor place. Everywhere I've played, the fields have been very small, and the teams were 5v5.

That being said, I prefer defense. I'm not that quick and I basically play like Vinnie Jones (Ask me about being thrown out of my last game).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

the posted:

Wow, that must be a HUGE indoor place. Everywhere I've played, the fields have been very small, and the teams were 5v5.

That being said, I prefer defense. I'm not that quick and I basically play like Vinnie Jones (Ask me about being thrown out of my last game).

Wait, seriously? Playing that rough honestly has no place in a casual 5-a-side league. My teammate had someone go right through his knee this season, tearing the ligaments and he still struggles to walk on it 6 weeks later. Either you don't really know what Jones was like or you're a complete dick who should stop playing football and take up kickboxing.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Scikar posted:

Wait, seriously? Playing that rough honestly has no place in a casual 5-a-side league. My teammate had someone go right through his knee this season, tearing the ligaments and he still struggles to walk on it 6 weeks later. Either you don't really know what Jones was like or you're a complete dick who should stop playing football and take up kickboxing.

Heh, I was being a bit hyperbolic. While I don't stomp on people's feet or grab their testicles, I am a "Go hard or Go Home" kind of player, especially on 50/50 situations. Since it's indoor, I can't slide tackle, but going full throttle towards a 50/50 ball on the wall isn't that dangerous, is it? Worst case the guy gets his cage rattled a bit when he connects with the side wall.

Hell, half the time when someone sees me coming full steam they tend to jump out of the way anyway.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

the posted:

Hell, half the time when someone sees me coming full steam they tend to jump out of the way anyway.

Yeah because they see you're a loving nutter who's going to clean them up or run them into the wall. It's casual football for christs sake.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

hughsieblingwish posted:

Yeah because they see you're a loving nutter who's going to clean them up or run them into the wall. It's casual football for christs sake.

Now I understand why a lot of people I meet while playing outdoor won't ever play indoor because they'll get their knees kicked in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Now I understand why a lot of people I meet while playing outdoor won't ever play indoor because they'll get their knees kicked in.

Every injury I've ever suffered has been playing outdoor. Of course I play in competitive leagues, so you're expected to go in hard on 50/50s. Indoor is more confined so there's less of a chance of someone getting a 20-30 yard run up on a 50/50. It's usually tighter and more controlled unless you're an uncoordinated jackass who doesn't know what he's doing and is just barging around.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'll have you know that I'm a coordinated jackass :colbert:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you want to win then of course you have to make some effort with 50-50s, but I work on the basis that if there's no ref I play carefully. If you haven't got someone who can be at least a bit unbiased to call free kicks and stop things escalating then it just turns nasty, and I'm not prepared to risk my knees over a casual league.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

the posted:

Not that big, pretty nice though. Its 40x70 yards. They have a smaller field as well thats 85x185'.

I also play at another indoor place, not as nice at EpicCenter (the place mentioned above)

There is a place that has a full field and some smaller ones, i havent been there, but i hear its nice http://www.sahlensportspark.com/facilities/

Odd thing is, we don't really have much for adult outdoor leagues that are not super high level. There are TONS of nets all over town, 2 places that have 10+fields each too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

the posted:

We've had out last three games called off due to the weather, which makes me want to start playing indoor instead of out.