Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My team added this dude from Germany recently and the gulf in class is absolutely insane. Not that we're good or anything, but you can see he's barely putting any effort in.

It's an absolute pleasure to play with this dude, he sits in the midfield just pulling strings, he's two-footed, and super un-selfish.

He put a ball on my foot, in-stride, from 25 yards for a goal last night and it was friggin great.

Oh and he said he played a youth match against Thomas Muller once, which is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Outdoor pickup season has finally begun in the Northeast, my local park had one field closed all of last year, so now there's plenty of space on Saturday mornings to play.

We play one-touch goals on small pop-up nets, yet some nerds feel it necessary to sit in the goal like it's loving hockey

Oh well, at least it's not gonna snow again this year.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Geno posted:

Playing indoor last night, took a shot straight to my wrist. Hurt like hell but was able to finish the game and another due to the adrenaline.

Now, it pretty much hurts anytime I move it or use my fingers. Seems a little swollen but it's not obvious and don't see a bruise or anything. Hoping it's just a sprain :a2m:

Yeah, I jammed my wrist in the free kick wall a few weeks ag-:yikes:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I actually got 3 past him, just had to keep passing across him, but I agree. People at this park are pretty amenable to suggestions

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thread: What's the best ball you've ever played with?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
eBay?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnig posted:

eBay is very hit or miss. Last year's balls are generally not that cheap but if you go another year back you may get an insane discount. Spell a word wrong.

Last year's Nike ball is available on Amazon for $90 right now.

Edit: eBay is hitting hard on Ordem 4s right now, they're going as low as $60+ shipping if you don't care that it has the NWSL logo on it.

Too bad that 20% off coupon from today is expired and I already used it

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat dude, sorry to hear that. You're like TRP's very own Abou Diaby. Just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Keep posting the photos, they were good stuff.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a double-header tonight, 6 then 730. Needless to say we're bringing in every one of our subs.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, my match this week is at 11pm. Just loving close the batting cages and open a third field, or just book less teams you greedy pricks, it's a Thursday night league ffs

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a Tuesday and Thursday league now, one on a large, borderless indoor field, which is a nice change of pace.

Stuck my leg out to shield the ball last night and took a clearance kick to the side of my shin, had a nice knot in it all day.

I understand why all these pros get deep tissue massages constantly. Felt like if I just had a dang masseuse they could work it out.

Instead, I limped.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

I read somewhere that massage has no proven beenfit in recovery but players like it so keep getting them anyway

You're thinking of the Drip Doctors

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you brought it up? If you make sure they're all stretched early and get right into it, you could probably get a few minutes in before a game.

I have the same issue with a couple teammates, they have solid footwork but they dabble on the ball and drag it back too much instead of just moving it

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We had this kid on my Tuesday team that was a dick about subbing. One match he was on for like two full shifts (we aren't formal, but I subbed off, on, and off again before he subbed) so when I was coming off I told him to take a break and he told me to gently caress off lol

He clearly had ability, but insisted on picking up the ball from defense and attempting to dribble through everyone, losing it, then getting mad.

Also yelled when people didn't pass to him.

Fortunately he's not playing with us this session. But I wonder what it's like being that selfish

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bogan Krkic posted:

If you're getting overrun and conceding sloppy goals, get two lads to just sit back and defend

Simple, correct, and seemingly impossible to get through to some people. Esp if you're down a few goals in the second half of the second half. People just start drifting up to chase a goal to salvage their week

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally got onto a Sunday league team, 8v8 boardless, now I'm playing S/T/Th, loving hell yes incoming injuries

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Played a boardless double-header tonight, scored a nice goal in traffic then blasted a penalty, Ander Herrera style. Can't wait to sail the next 3 into row Z, because I am now a disciple of that school

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Tuesday 9v9 league team added a Serbian centerback and it's the best thing ever.

Dude is a maniac, flies all over the field and essentially defends the center by himself. It rules

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our opponents last night wore custom Blue Lives Matter shirts

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Had probably my best shooting night in the last 6 months and the opposing keeper saved 4, one hit the crossbar from distance, another hit the post. At least the first shot went in and we won

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ripped a ball into the top corner from about 12 yards out on the half-volley and it took the slightest deflection, dipping like crazy.

I basked in the adulation for a second, but quickly ratted myself out. Team is on a roll this season, 4-0, 40 goals, 8 conceded, and 5 were tonight, three in the last 3 minutes when it was out of reach.

We've been mid-to-lower-mid for the year and a half we've been playing, but made some great additions after some people quit, and now we're more balanced. Feels good

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went to buy a new skill ball tonight, and Nike is the only one that stands up to a month or two of a German Shepherd.

Get to the counter, they tell me they're not allowed to sell them yet, this particular ball is for the Womens World Cup and they can't break street date. It's white and says Team USA

I had to get a Neymar branded ball instead :negative:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

That ball is going to crumple at the first touch from your dog.

Solid joke aside, those Nike balls are surprisingly resilient

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally scored my first volley.

8 yards out from the right side, a teammate deflected a clearance high in the air from about 15 yards out on the left side, and it had so much spin all I had to do was guide it along. Rocketed into the top corner, :feelsgood:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally won the league, feels good.

We haven't made playoffs in our 18-month existence, but we finally put together a cohesive squad with balance.

Oh and our fat Serbian striker who doesn't track back is on vacation. Which was perfect because the two teams we faced were the youngest and fastest among the four teams in the semis

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our team wears blue and one guy had navy blue and the ref wouldn't let him play, despite the other team wearing white.

So one guy on our team points out that they have someone in grey and the ref stopped the game until both found a shirt. Neither team had subs.

They tried this monotone color rule like 6 months ago and failed, it's utterly asinine

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Condolences, our last futsal keeper was 2 or 3 sessions behind on fees and then just completely ghosted us. We've got a setup where fees are paid in advance by TAFC* to make it easier on managers, then all the players will pay back the org. Normally it's a pretty good setup and everybody pays their fees by the end of the session, however my friend who's manages this team has to say "I have no loving clue where he & his money went" on a weekly basis.

What do you mean by "skill ball"? One of my dogs will chase a kicked ball for hours but he will also try to pop anything with an intact bladder if he gets the chance. I'd like something that will hold up to that and still feel right coming off my foot.

They sell em at most sporting goods stores, like 13 bucks but my dog loves em, I go through like 2 a month in the summer, 1 the rest of the year, usually

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I took a Mata-esque first touch on a long ball, on the run from over my head last night.

Then I turned to pass to a teammate a couple yards away, except I'm a self-trained moron so I misplaced it directly to the opponent a yard to his left.

Still won 13-4, so gently caress it. But yeah, me in a nutshell.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New league starts in September and we're getting new turf, which is exciting

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing an outdoor league game tomorrow. hosed my ankle up pretty badly back in November, then covid went wild. Been doing the normal thing with the dog, getting a lot of reps in, but my fitness is trash.

Decided to treat my drat self, and these were half-off. The benefit of wearing 13s, they just sit around the local store forever then go on clearance :woop:

They're pretty nice so far, tough to tell though, my backyard is fairly soft today. I've never bought kangaroo leather before, but for a hundred bucks, I felt fine. I had missed out on two sessions of indoor league that were $160, so really I saved money

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fun thing about indoor leagues in America:

If he looks like he plays American football, he's going to play like it's American football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It rocks, I was out from November of 2019 to August 2020 with an ankle injury and it felt so good to get back into things